• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal |OT| Live. Die. Repeat.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
It's definitely shallow. There isn't enough variety in the rooms and a hell of a lot of the game is just the same shit over and over. Also, why put collectables (for trophoes) in a game with randomly generated maps? Fucking stupid decision.

Really thought the story was hamfisted and poorly conceived too. There's a lot to like about the game and it's a massive leap forward for Housemarque. There is loads of room for them to grow and improve still.

For story-telling this roguelike will grow pretty old after the 2nd sequel that should disclose this scattered story. Honestly it gives me the same feel of stories of souls games, one reason I don't play those games. Gameplay is fucking mental and satisfyingly and I love sci-fi shit, but I would want them to learn from their mistakes going forward and roguelike can be applied without having loop plot. You can be a cop, extremely rare as cops now are villains in games, and die then you lose everything for example, just like RE2 back in PS1 if you die there is no continue shit, you just use your save files.

Reactions: MrS

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Well there goes 2 more hours down the fucking drain.

It never fails. I get 30 minutes into a run and end up in a room that gets locked down and some giant red dudes spawn in and fuck me up. Guess I need to get used to fighting them now but damn, dying after a 1:15 minute run is some bullshit.

This game might be the hardest game I have ever played. Cuphead and Sekiro have nothing on this.
Lockdowns typically only happen in challenge rooms. Are you sure you are avoiding those? They have a big star on top of them.

I run into a lockdown room once every 10 or so runs now. And usually you can just take out the green lights to remove the lockdown and escape.

skit_data

Well there goes 2 more hours down the fucking drain.

It never fails. I get 30 minutes into a run and end up in a room that gets locked down and some giant red dudes spawn in and fuck me up. Guess I need to get used to fighting them now but damn, dying after a 1:15 minute run is some bullshit.

This game might be the hardest game I have ever played. Cuphead and Sekiro have nothing on this.
Yeah, same here. The Souls-series, Sekiro and Cuphead ain’t got nothing on this in terms of being unforgiving. The individual boss fights and encounters in the Souls-series might require more, but you can always get back to them almost immediately. Returnal requires luck, skill and the benefit of ”knowing your surroundings” is very limited since the map shifts.

Ogbert

Gold Member
Yeah, same here. The Souls-series, Sekiro and Cuphead ain’t got nothing on this in terms of being unforgiving. The individual boss fights and encounters in the Souls-series might require more, but you can always get back to them almost immediately. Returnal requires luck, skill and the benefit of ”knowing your surroundings” is very limited since the map shifts.
It’s just an arcade game.

Think of it like UN Squadron or any other arcade shoot em up. How far can you get on one credit.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Still really enjoying it, but the malignancy mechanic is fucking awful. It’s completely unrewarding so you simply skip it. So the fun of building cool builds and experimenting is locked behind a pointlessly punishing mechanic.

Do not introduce mechanics that make a game less fun.

I would be ok with it if it weren’t as punishing in many cases, or easier to clear

Last edited:
For story-telling this roguelike will grow pretty old after the 2nd sequel that should disclose this scattered story. Honestly it gives me the same feel of stories of souls games, one reason I don't play those games. Gameplay is fucking mental and satisfyingly and I love sci-fi shit, but I would want them to learn from their mistakes going forward and roguelike can be applied without having loop plot. You can be a cop, extremely rare as cops now are villains in games, and die then you lose everything for example, just like RE2 back in PS1 if you die there is no continue shit, you just use your save files.
Always felt like the Souls have a very base level story that's easy to see at face value. It's when you dig into the lore for Souls games does it get very very interesting. Not getting that extensive lore history with Returnal that Souls have so far from what I've seen. Though tbf, I haven't exactly looked either.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Still really enjoying it, but the malignancy mechanic is fucking awful. It’s completely unrewarding so you simply skip it. So the fun of building cool builds and experimenting is locked behind a pointlessly punishing mechanic.

Do not introduce mechanics that make a game less fun.

100%, makes progression very tedious. In biome 6 nearly everything is malignant to me, but somehow managed to finish the game, but barely. Making health resins malignant is pretty much over-doing it. That's why died in the first attempt vs final boss, being completely drained from health packs.

Got 2 malfunctions? Everything malignant thing you pick next gets destroyed.

Last edited:

skit_data

I just beat Ixion, barely lost any health, kept my astronaut as well.

Why haven’t i read anything about how AWESOME the ”Serrated Projectiles”-trait is on the Hollowseeker? Jeez, made short work of him in no time!

Last edited:

drotahorror

Coilspine Shredder fuckin suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks. I usually feel this way about most guns in this game at first, but is there any redeeming this one? This is the last weapon you'll find.

It's basically the lobber but it shoots discs has no DoT, has a slower charge (and makes you walk??), and the reload is longer (single shot). I had a dual disc and another trait on it, it blows ass.

I legit love this game though, I really hope they put out DLC super soon or some sort of infinite loop mode so I don't lose my shit every time. I want to keep leveling weapons and whatnot. Getting through a level 2 trait takes forever, can't even imagine level 3.

And the Dreadbound might be highest DPS you can achieve if you're pointblank on someone. You're spines or w/e will reload so quick it's a fully automatic with no reload and crazy damage.

Last edited:

bargeparty

100%, makes progression very tedious. In biome 6 nearly everything is malignant to me, but somehow managed to finish the game, but barely. Making health resins malignant is pretty much over-doing it. That's why died in the first attempt vs final boss, being completely drained from health packs.

Got 2 malfunctions? Everything malignant stuff you pick is destroyed.

I'm not sure why everything green doesn't heal, some just add a bar for integrity increase.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Yeah, exactly. People say just make a temporary save that gets deleted, but it will obviously get abused with cloud saves, killing the vision of the game.
no it won't kill the vision of the game
it will kill the game for the people that do it.

who the fuck cares cheaters gonna cheat

Last edited:

iorek21

After doing some runs by playing by the rules (picking up malignant items, parasites), I've come to the conclusion that this system is VERY unfair and requires rebalancing for it to be remotely bearable. One ridiculous example that I've experienced was getting malfunctions that blocked SWITCHING WEAPONS and require opening 2/3 chests to fix it... really? So I'm blocked out of an essential gameplay mechanic and I'm hostage to the RNG because that's how things are? To hell with it.
Other absurd malfunction is the one that requires you to get a parasite; I very rarely come upon them, and most of them have useless pros and cons that can destroy your run, how can that be fair?

Malfunctions like "Kill x enemies", "Melee x enemies" or "Collect 100 obelites" are okay, they're gameplay-based tasks that you're probably going to do anyway, but those that are dependent of the goodwill of the RNG? No, just no.

Constraints that heavily limits your experience should be kept to that Online Daily Challenge or in a Hard Mode.

This bullshit spoils the amazing gameplay loop that Housemarque crafted.

SlimySnake

Beat Biome 5 on the first go after one shotting the world 4 boss. Leach rounds again were my savior. Barely lost any health. I also have like +50% protection because I picked up an artifact that increases my protection for every ether I carry. Also got an artifact that increases my stagger by 20% based on either adrenaline or protection. And lots lots more. Those damn flying kamikaze robots stood no chance. they still get me but I get all HP back from hitting them.

I really really hope I dont die in world 6 because I cant even imagine having to start way back at world 4 again.

drotahorror

Got the secret ending. Still not sure what's really going on.

Challenge mode seems cool. Wish you could replay it. Nice to see they have modifiers already in the game, they should try adding them to another mode soon.

Last edited:

bargeparty

I don't understand
what the cargo hold thing does

Nvm I'm dumb. Must've been too tired to notice.

Last edited:

Krizalidx11

Banned
That glitch messed me up so bad, i got the 2nd cutscene in THE HOUSE, after that a new collectable item was present outside the house aaaaaaand i couldn't pick it !!!

So i reset the cycle and reach the house again just to find the item missing and the house never showing that scene again even after resetting 8 times, it was the DE suits after all, i got a 3rd scene after the 2nd boss and a 3rd collectable item unlike 2nd one, good thing i got to scan it and pick it up

I go back to my ship to get some health before using my greens and the game decides to wipe every single one from the map...

Also, after many hours of playing, I saw a different enemy in biome 1 that had slightly different health bar(some kind of icon and more orange) and shot these purple orb beams.

40 hours and he still can't beat the first boss. lol

How can he have the pylon gun if he hasn't beaten the first boss?

Edit: NM, maybe it's found on level 1. Never knew that haha

Last edited:

SlimySnake

And done. Cant believe I beat worlds 4, 5 and 6 in one go after having so many disastrous runs in world 2 and 3. It really goes to show that if you were decked out, game isn't really that hard. Leech rounds helped especially in world 6 where there are no green health packs. Everything is malignant. lol

Still, not bad at all if you come in prepared from worlds 4 and 5. I had like 50% protection from various parasites that made me tank pretty much everything. TBH, I think if they had kept at least one of these things as permanent upgrades, the game wouldnt have been so punishing. Either let me keep my weapon, or my artifacts or my parasites or my health. Starting off with a pistol was really demoralizing.

Overall though, I dont know if I would be as positive on this game if I had died in the last three worlds and had to replay them 10-15 times, but right now I have to admit that I was wrong about this game not being AAA. I think the combat, level design and audiovisual design is up there with some of the best in the business. The story might not have many fancy cutscenes, but I was intrigued throughout. End of Boss 3 to Boss 4 is some of the most intriguing storytelling I've seen in a game in years.

If this had come out at launch, the game would've been become an instant cult hit. Sadly, dropping in April is probably not going to get it the buzz it deserves.

I honestly should’ve waited on this game. It is good but I’m not sure it’s the style of game for me - dualsense is great in it tho

HotPocket69

Banned
And done. Cant believe I beat worlds 4, 5 and 6 in one go after having so many disastrous runs in world 2 and 3. It really goes to show that if you were decked out, game isn't really that hard. Leech rounds helped especially in world 6 where there are no green health packs. Everything is malignant. lol

Still, not bad at all if you come in prepared from worlds 4 and 5. I had like 50% protection from various parasites that made me tank pretty much everything. TBH, I think if they had kept at least one of these things as permanent upgrades, the game wouldnt have been so punishing. Either let me keep my weapon, or my artifacts or my parasites or my health. Starting off with a pistol was really demoralizing.

Overall though, I dont know if I would be as positive on this game if I had died in the last three worlds and had to replay them 10-15 times, but right now I have to admit that I was wrong about this game not being AAA. I think the combat, level design and audiovisual design is up there with some of the best in the business. The story might not have many fancy cutscenes, but I was intrigued throughout. End of Boss 3 to Boss 4 is some of the most intriguing storytelling I've seen in a game in years.

If this had come out at launch, the game would've been become an instant cult hit. Sadly, dropping in April is probably not going to get it the buzz it deserves.

Fuck that lol

So done with this lol

I’ll chip away over time but I’ve accepted I’ll never finish

Every game isn’t meant for everybody. Not everyone is meant to beat it. I hope HM doesn’t fuck this up and just keeps it the way it is. Let devs make what the fuck they want without armchair dev online bullshit.

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Finally got around to playing today and beat Phrike. Game crashed in second biome after 90 minutes and a ton of great equipment (LOL).
Challenge mode still isn’t unlocked for me for some reason. Does anyone know the criteria?

SlimySnake

Finally got around to playing today and beat Phrike. Game crashed in second biome after 90 minutes and a ton of great equipment (LOL).
Challenge mode still isn’t unlocked for me for some reason. Does anyone know the criteria?
i think you have to beat the game.

have you done the challenge rooms with the star symbol? I skip those when doing boss runs, but they have a lot of good stuff.

And I had the same crash in the second biome at around the same time. I wonder if thats a glitch. no crashes since.

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
i think you have to beat the game.

have you done the challenge rooms with the star symbol? I skip those when doing boss runs, but they have a lot of good stuff.

And I had the same crash in the second biome at around the same time. I wonder if thats a glitch. no crashes since.
I’m talking about the daily challenges, the online ones with the leaderboards. They’re supposed to unlock after you beat the first boss, and for whatever reason mine hasn’t. Glitch?

SlimySnake

I’m talking about the daily challenges, the online ones with the leaderboards. They’re supposed to unlock after you beat the first boss, and for whatever reason mine hasn’t. Glitch?
have you checked the ship? you select the daily challenges from there.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
After doing some runs by playing by the rules (picking up malignant items, parasites), I've come to the conclusion that this system is VERY unfair and requires rebalancing for it to be remotely bearable. One ridiculous example that I've experienced was getting malfunctions that blocked SWITCHING WEAPONS and require opening 2/3 chests to fix it... really? So I'm blocked out of an essential gameplay mechanic and I'm hostage to the RNG because that's how things are? To hell with it.
Other absurd malfunction is the one that requires you to get a parasite; I very rarely come upon them, and most of them have useless pros and cons that can destroy your run, how can that be fair?

Malfunctions like "Kill x enemies", "Melee x enemies" or "Collect 100 obelites" are okay, they're gameplay-based tasks that you're probably going to do anyway, but those that are dependent of the goodwill of the RNG? No, just no.

Constraints that heavily limits your experience should be kept to that Online Daily Challenge or in a Hard Mode.

This bullshit spoils the amazing gameplay loop that Housemarque crafted.

Malfunctions nearly destroyed my 8 hours long run. I avoided them then suddenly those slow tracking pink arrows cause me 2 malfunctions. Had to beat the boss with that, died in the first and barely killed him in the very last moment.

Imagine that nearly 90% of stuff was malignant, and with 2 already malfunctions if you pick them they don't register and simply get destroyed. Fixing those should be a lot easier like going to the fabricator and finding a machine that fixes you.

Malignants and malfunctions are extremely worst thing in the game and makes it not fun. Difficulty itself it's not that difficult, more like normal/medium but this BS makes it really hard. Would rather have actual difficulty instead of hinderance.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I go back to my ship to get some health before using my greens and the game decides to wipe every single one from the map...

Also, after many hours of playing, I saw a different enemy in biome 1 that had slightly different health bar(some kind of icon and more orange) and shot these purple orb beams.

How can he have the pylon gun if he hasn't beaten the first boss?

Edit: NM, maybe it's found on level 1. Never knew that haha
You get the pylon in the first biome if you have the digital deluxe edition.

Basically a payed easy mode.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Fuck me i wasted 2 great runs in biome 4-5 because i didn't used the medkit to save it for later...

Elite enemies are legit more annoying than bosses, they kill you in 2-3 hits while a boss need to hit like 15 times to kill you...

Yeah goons are much harder than main bosses. One of the hardest parts was teleporting to a very narrow room with 3 of these making all kinds of waves, melee attacks. I did barely kill them all but it was like intentionally made to be killed there.

I think it's this fucking room:

Returnal-Screenshot-Sentients-Worshiping.jpg

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
He is a troll or just a moron, watch hus previous video about the game...

Nah he's serious, see his latest stream:

Guy is desperate as fuck. Remind me of that 7+ hours stream of guy stuck at the infamous spot in GOW with GMGOW difficulty and couldn't pass that part where you you get many enemies freezed/stoned then suddenly all of them fight you.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
If you are too desperate and willing to raise the white flag:

WORKS 1.00 - 1.03

Press & Hold shift, control, alt 1 to 0 drops your current level weapons.
Press & Hold shift, control, 8 instantly takes you last place ( First Cycle)
Press & Hold shift, control, 4 instantly takes you back to ship.
DO NOT USE 3 or 7 freezes.
1,2,5,6,9,0 Doesn't do anything.

Last edited:
Top Bottom