• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal |OT| Live. Die. Repeat.

Con_Z_ǝdʇ

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Bo said the you need the upgrade to destroy the orange barriers.
The sword destroys the red barriers, that surround some enemies, in it's standard form.

If you upgrade it you can destroy the yellow barriers that block some paths in the environment.

So to come back, you can destroy turrets with a single strike of the sword no matter of barrier or not.

Nothing else can do this.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
The sword destroys the red barriers, that surround some enemies, in it's standard form.

If you upgrade it you can destroy the yellow barriers that block some paths in the environment.

So to come back, you can destroy turrets with a single strike of the sword no matter of barrier or not.

Nothing else can do this.
Jesus we never understood each other dude :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

With sword upgrade i meant the thing you can buy to destroy the barriers in some doors, not the original sword upgrade you get in the first biome.

Last edited:

Con_Z_ǝdʇ

Jesus we never understood each other dude :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

With sword upgrade i meant the thing you can buy to destroy the barriers in some doors, not the original sword upgrade you get in the first biome.
You replied to Reality Czar Reality Czar in a wrong way. I just wanted to set things clear because it could have confused him.

Read his original post and then your reply!

Last edited:

Luipadre

"Finished" the game today. 14 hour 21 min with 16 deaths. It was fucking dope. Boss design was one of the best i've ever seen. I was shaking for like 10 min after i beat the last boss today :D

Now the hunt for the true ending begins. Really hope we'll get post launch support for this

FunkMiller

Okay, I am getting a wee bit fed up with the RNG in this game. I’m running into lockdown rooms / rooms full of major enemies one after the other with no space to grab some heals or better items in between. I’m all for a challenge, but it starts to feel a bit unfair when it keeps doing that!

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
You replied to Reality Czar Reality Czar in a wrong way. I just wanted to set things clear because it could have confused him.

Read his original post and then your reply!
Yeah because i thought that he was talking about the sword upgrade that you buy instead of the one you receive in biome 1 and i was just informing him that he doesn't need the upgrade to destroy the shield on the turrets, just the regular sword, i thought he never tried that before buying the upgrade (but he was not talking about that upgrade).

It was just a huge misunderstanding :lollipop_squinting:

Con_Z_ǝdʇ

I finally conquered biome 5 and got pretty deep into biome 6. Didn't made it to the boss.

The new enemy type there messed me up, the second time i met him.

Biome 6 is pretty unexpected. I like the changes in the sound design.

So close! :messenger_grinning:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Alright I finally got the 6 sun shards, I thought there wasn't one one the 5th biome or that I couldn't find it and it was just after the red door.FUCK I had done the whole level even the challenges, bosses and locked doors, it is the hardest biome by far.
I stopped playing because I had a rendez-vous but tomorrow I'll get the secret ending.

skit_data

A question:

How much difference does it actually make to go through earlier biomes to increase weapon proficency? I know its probably good to go through earlier biomes to get higher max integrity and artifacts but Im seriously starting to get tired to go through every nook and cranny of biome 1 at this point only to then move on to biome 2.

The calibrator you find at the beginning of biome 2 that grants you a ”varying amount of weapon proficency”, does it give you a lot more if your weapon proficency is really low?

Last edited:

FrankWza

A question:

How much difference does it actually make to go through earlier biomes to increase weapon proficency? I know its probably good to go through earlier biomes to get higher max integrity and artifacts but Im seriously starting to get tired to go through every nook and cranny of biome 1 at this point only to then move on to biome 2.

The calibrator you find at the beginning of biome 2 that grants you a ”varying amount of weapon proficency”, does it give you a lot more if your weapon proficency is really low?
Good question. This has been my biggest issue if you want to call it that. I wish I had a definitive guide for just the system and item scaling. It’s a lot to process

bargeparty

Get the Electropylon Driver weapon. Will make your life easier.

I really don't like this gun, if you have the upgrade where it shoots a "web" it's eh. If you don't I'm pretty sure you have to connect the lines yourself and doing that on controllers is no bueno. imo of course.

Hallowseeker is where it's at bois.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
A question:

It helps a lot with artifacts and integrity but proficiency not so much....Maybe farm a bit obolites too_Once more comfortable with biomes you can go to them straight away.I feel like once you've got another gun in the 1st biome you can go to the 2nd one with barely anything else.The 3rd one might be more tricky though, either farm the 1st biome and the starting areas of the second biome or straight from 1st to 2nd but then at least farm the second biome.
The best remain to farm each biomes unless you don't feel good enough in this biome (the 5th biome is like that to me).

decisions

So I’ve started going for the true ending and saw you need to find these items, one per biome. But I’ve ran the 1st biome several times, exploring every area, and have never found one. Is this bugged for some people or something?

MrS

Banned
Just finished act 3 there. Story was definitely the games weak point.

Trading it on Saturday. Enjoyed my time with it.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Hollowseeker + malfunction(enemies counter on impact) is legit some next level bullshit. Enemies will reflect bullets as fast as you shoot them
just fucking make it that you die if you shoot instead. :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Bartski

Gold Member
Returnal binge day 5, I'm officially hooked. To busy gaming to hang out on gaf but I'll catch up with the thread eventually!

This is the first game where I'm at the point of performing such intense stunts I tend to save 30-second clips just for myself to enjoy...

And this comes from someone who thinks implementing straight-up bullet hell mechanics outside shmups is a stupid concept... somehow here it comes together gloriously and in some ways, this is game is now my benchmark for high octane speed ballet type gameplay.

I ran 1-2 today twice, easy peasy. I beat the final boss already ages ago, I'm holding off going for the last sunface fragment, maybe tomorrow to wrap up the story.

100%ing this one - there is no other way, even tho the game constantly pulls dick moves on me with horrible malignancies multiple times in a row (Take damage picking up objects?? Well I had it four times in B2 today, thanks game) but also giving me ZERO new collectibles in two out of three runs now... and somehow I still love it.

Also, am I missing sth or the late game weapons are kind of shit? Hollowseeker forever.

Not sure if that's common knowledge but I noticed, contrary to what you can read on powerpyx, collectibles (runes, logs etc) are not really randomly spawned in the world but, unlike artifacts, consumables and chests - they seem to be fixed to specific macros, "rooms" the game is made of when it randomly spawns the map layout. So if you're looking for ciphers - you won't find them in places that look familiar.

also, patch lands tomorrow, with patch notes. I've had one crash and one audio glitch in all my time playing. Some trophies bugged out, I hope they will address that as well.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
that tweet is kinda embarrassing
How does something this basic even get past any focus testing?

In a way it's almost a good thing because that means Sony execs and other focus testers didnt really dilute the original artistic vision for the game. I mean I hate that this tweet even had to be made, but you have to wonder what else might have been changed if they had focus tested the shit out of this game. Or taken notes from suits who dont have patience for 2 hour runs.

SCB3

sigh, I'm starting to think this game isn't for me, I can't beat this 2nd boss, I can't seem to get good enough parasites or decent weapons to beat him, although I've gotten him to halfway on his third stage with just my pistol on my last run, so there's progress, I finally got the Low Integrity Parasite as well once, so at least I know that's in my game now.

It's starting to feel like Furi where I just cannot cope with the amount of shit being thrown at me and from what I've read on here, it gets worse

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
How does something this basic even get past any focus testing?

In a way it's almost a good thing because that means Sony execs and other focus testers didnt really dilute the original artistic vision for the game. I mean I hate that this tweet even had to be made, but you have to wonder what else might have been changed if they had focus tested the shit out of this game. Or taken notes from suits who dont have patience for 2 hour runs.
Don’t worry when the save function works. People can just abuse cloud saving.
Making the game as piss easy as they want it to be or.. not

Last edited:

dcmk7

Banned
Came so close to beating the boss of biome 2.

Any advise?
Is there an easy way to detect where his attack is coming from, the one where he shoots across the area leaving the blue field behind.. and the orange orbs. Usually have no idea where he is and unsurprisingly get hit.

SlimySnake

Came so close to beating the boss of biome 2.

Any advise?
Is there an easy way to detect where his attack is coming from, the one where he shoots across the area leaving the blue field behind.. and the orange orbs. Usually have no idea where he is and unsurprisingly get hit.
use headphones. he always comes from the left side of the arena. left from when he enters. just jump or dash through the blue wave. dont worry about the orange orbs. just dodge the blue ones. orange ones are so slow you can easily walk around them.

sigh, I'm starting to think this game isn't for me, I can't beat this 2nd boss, I can't seem to get good enough parasites or decent weapons to beat him, although I've gotten him to halfway on his third stage with just my pistol on my last run, so there's progress, I finally got the Low Integrity Parasite as well once, so at least I know that's in my game now.

It's starting to feel like Furi where I just cannot cope with the amount of shit being thrown at me and from what I've read on here, it gets worse
yeah, the game isnt for everyone. its punishingly difficult like their top down shooters.

I think the key is going in there with extra protection and extra damage. Dont take pistols. You want to finish off each round fast. I have seen people just shred through boss health bars. Jaffe was doing it last night. Take your time with world 1 and stack up on parasites and artifacts.

I had 35% extra protection and it really helped me tank hits. The game does get much much harder, but i think after boss 3 you get enough items and artifacts to allow you to heal. For example, there are leach rounds that get you health back. Ethers now boost protection so if you have 10 ethers you can pretty much boost your protection by 20%.

SCB3

I think the key is going in there with extra protection and extra damage. Dont take pistols. You want to finish off each round fast. I have seen people just shred through boss health bars. Jaffe was doing it last night. Take your time with world 1 and stack up on parasites and artifacts.
I'm thinking of just grinding out world 1 and the boss just for the ether and to find new things to help prepare

Well there goes 2 more hours down the fucking drain.

It never fails. I get 30 minutes into a run and end up in a room that gets locked down and some giant red dudes spawn in and fuck me up. Guess I need to get used to fighting them now but damn, dying after a 1:15 minute run is some bullshit.

This game might be the hardest game I have ever played. Cuphead and Sekiro have nothing on this.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Just finished act 3 there. Story was definitely the games weak point.

Trading it on Saturday. Enjoyed my time with it.

Yeah it's intriguing first time, then I find it pretty shallow and too loose to be "director's intention".

SCB3

Cuphead and Sekiro have nothing on this.
Cuphead is a lot slower paced and you're only dealing with 1 plane with it being 2D so I find that easier, Sekrio is all pattern and rhythm, once you get that down, its a lot easier to play, it relies heavily on its parry system, I found Bloodborne to be hearder

drotahorror

Great gameplay! Did you beat the game?

Yeah I've beaten everything atleast twice. I just got all 6 of those sun fragments, now I'm gonna go kill the final boss again.

And the kamikaze robot flyers are THE WORST enemy in the fuckin game, there are no worse enemies. Really every small flying enemy sucks dick to fight in this game. Everything else I can run and gun, but those little guys will hit you if you ignore them.

Last edited:

MrS

Banned
Yeah it's intriguing first time, then I find it pretty shallow and too loose to be "director's intention".
It's definitely shallow. There isn't enough variety in the rooms and a hell of a lot of the game is just the same shit over and over. Also, why put collectables (for trophoes) in a game with randomly generated maps? Fucking stupid decision.

Really thought the story was hamfisted and poorly conceived too. There's a lot to like about the game and it's a massive leap forward for Housemarque. There is loads of room for them to grow and improve still.

This game might be the hardest game I have ever played. Cuphead and Sekiro have nothing on this.
While I understand that all of us have different skill levels, I find that quote quite laughable. Final boss of Sekiro took me 8 hours to beat (Owl at Hirata and DoH were hard as fuck too). Cuphead was a grind that required you to really get good at the game to beat the hard mode. Returnal has been out for 4 days and I've beat the final boss 3 times already. Keys to success are: 1) make a build that has high integrity and high protection, 2) get Hollowseeker with Portal Beam, 3) always buy medkits and a self-res at fabricators. That's EZ mode for you bro. Bosses cant even fuck with you if you follow that.

Last edited:

drotahorror

It's definitely shallow. There isn't enough variety in the rooms and a hell of a lot of the game is just the same shit over and over. Also, why put collectables (for trophoes) in a game with randomly generated maps? Fucking stupid decision.

Really thought the story was hamfisted and poorly conceived too. There's a lot to like about the game and it's a massive leap forward for Housemarque. There is loads of room for them to grow and improve still.
I wouldn't doubt if it was just an afterthought. Sony probably said, yo you gotta have some cinematic shit in there or we can't sell this for full price.

I really didn't care about the story at all.

SlimySnake

I'm thinking of just grinding out world 1 and the boss just for the ether and to find new things to help prepare
Dont worry about the world 1 boss, Ethers wont do you much good in the first three worlds, but yes do grind out world 1 at least until you get to the shop in world 1.

Stack up on large medpacks and astronaut figurines then protection then max integrity then damage boosters. In that order. If you cant afford them all, thats ok. Just go to world 2, grind out the desert area and hit up the shop there for more medpacks. Once you get to the boss portal shortcut in world 2, there is only like 1-2 rooms between that and the shop and you can run through them to get to the shop if you dont want to fight those Doom marauders.

Sadly, there is no real progression in between runs so when you think of doing a boss run, just go in with the mindset that it will take at least an hour. Ive done those runs in 45 minutes but once you get to world 3, they could take 1.5 hours. If you get lucky, you will be so OP that the boss will go down in 5 minutes instead of the 15 minutes it will take you if you go in without grinding.

Top Bottom