• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal |OT| Live. Die. Repeat.

Con_Z_ǝdʇ

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
How do the fragments work, do they spawn randomly on each level and then just need to defeat final boss after that to get the true ending?
Once you finished the game 6 fragments will appear. One of each in every biome.

I'm not a 100% sure but the rooms in which you can find them should be part of the biome every time.
Some of them are pretty much directly on your way and some are not so obvious to find. Check the map, they are not too hard to find.

Once you got all of them, a new house sequence should trigger. After this you need to kill the final boss again for the true ending.

Beware that it seems that the fragments do not appear unless you have seen all the necessary house sequences

Last edited:

JeloSWE

I had a weird bug. When I first arrived to the room it had lots of items on the platforms but I wanted to do an upgrade to increase integrity for only two slots instead of three first, but all the platforms were gone when I came back. They are till visible in the bottom right map as you can see. I tried jumping on a couple but hey aren’t there any longer. I did use a teleport so maybe that caused the bug. LOL

Edit: it's a bonus room, not a bug LOL. I just left the room too quickly to notice.

QQsMuJC.jpg

Regardless, absolutely loving the game. Have only experienced one crash and one audio bug. Most fun game play I've had in ages, closes game play for me would be Nier Automata and Quake 3 Rocket Arena.

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
I had a weird bug. When I first arrived to the room it had lots of items on the platforms but I wanted to do an upgrade to increase integrity for only two slots instead of three first, but all the platforms were gone when I came back. They are till visible in the bottom right map as you can see. I tried jumping on a couple but hey aren’t there any longer. I did use a teleport so maybe that caused the bug. LOL

QQsMuJC.jpg

Regardless, absolutely loving the game. Have only experienced one crash and one audio bug. Most fun game play I've had in ages, closes game play for me would be Nier Automata and Quake 3 Rocket Arena.
Not a bug. The platforms goes away after ~5 seconds after entering the room. It's like a bonus room - grab the loot as quick as can - risk and reward.

JeloSWE

Not a bug. The platforms goes away after ~5 seconds after entering the room. It's like a bonus room - grab the loot as quick as can - risk and reward.
Haha, I just came back to that same room on another run and you are absolutely right, I just ran out too quickly last time that I didn't notice XD

Last edited:

Con_Z_ǝdʇ

Haha, I just came back to that same room on another run and you are absolutely right, I just ran out too quickly last time that I didn't notice XD
There are a lot of those rooms spread throughout the game.
Always have a look once you entered a room, for the green lights.
Some of them need split second decisions.

Sony really embraced the genre:

nicely written. Notable omissions: Don't Starve and Sundered. No Man's Sky is a rogue-lite too, but even in Permadeath too chill... Don't Starve looks innocent but is brutal - same for Enter the Gungeon...

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I'm glad I don't care about things like story audio logs or platinume trophies... that stuff being RNG is pretty hilarious.

Does collecting those things have any effect on gameplay?

This game sounds insanely fun to paly to me, but waiting to see if some of the quality of life issues get improved.

I don't care about collecting platinums as well, audio logs give you some story immersion as the main story is pretty shallow and loose after collecting everything. It screams a sequel or a DLC follow up to wrap it up.

Personally never had a single glitch nor a crash, which makes me lucky.

JeloSWE

I don't care about collecting platinums as well, audio logs give you some story immersion as the main story is pretty shallow and loose after collecting everything. It screams a sequel or a DLC follow up to wrap it up.

Personally never had a single glitch nor a crash, which makes me lucky.
I agree, it feels very polished and stable to me, only ever had one crash.

FrankWza

I know I've missed that. Any pointers to what to look for?
It’s with the rest of the archives but unless you go into your status menu you won’t know if you did all. On the map itself it just shows that you’ve located it. Once you do all the rest in that room just go in the water and the particles or whatever will shift and you’ll be prompted to press triangle like the rest.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
I guess the issues I was seeing with the electric pylon driver were related to the ps5 coming out of rest mode. Just made it to the boss of the sixth area for the first time. Really enjoying this game still. It always has me on the edge of my seat in battles and sighing with relief when I survive. Hilarious to me the people who were complaining about the price tag the more I see in this game.

Just purchased this and the Pulse headset. Time to pray this shit isn't dumb hard when I suck at games like that
Anyone whos like me and is deferred from the "get ready to die a billion times and some frustration cause this game is dumb hard" genre, please take the leap on this game. Only played a couple of hours and googling how to beat this first boss is imminent, but my God this game is so much damn fun

Man is it hard to start this game after you've had a good run. Still haven't found the will to do so after few days.

Makes me a bit dissapointed at myself considering this is a Housemarque game which I was eagerly waiting.

Everything about the game is fantastic except that feeling which it gives you for dying and for gaining "nothing".

Con_Z_ǝdʇ

Man is it hard to start this game after you've had a good run. Still haven't found the will to do so after few days.

Makes me a bit dissapointed at myself considering this is a Housemarque game which I was eagerly waiting.

Everything about the game is fantastic except that feeling which it gives you for dying and for gaining "nothing".
I have completely different feelings about this. Once i die i feel the urge to fulfill another playthrough.

I made a lot of progress early on and felt nearly too engaged with the game. So much that i couldn't put it down.
To me, the core gameplay is so solid that i couldn't care less about progression, even though i still haven't unlocked everything the game has to offer after countless hours.

[Sigma]

This fool thinks i''m moving off this spot!
Returnal-x-LD.png

I play this game with so much anger now since i'm making very little progress on the surveys. I just go from room to room killing everything. Everything must die, if it moves, it dies!!! I just now noticed "Execution Blast Activated" and I don't even know what that means but it sounds hot! so it must be good!!

Last edited:

2AdEPT

Finally made some decent progress again and cleared out the 5th biome fairly easily only I lost my astro to a single backstabbing severed, and then becuase I couldnt "go back" after swinging close to the challenge door I had to go in without preparations and a proper health bar. Almost made it but you all know what got me in the last phase ...no spoilers. Lost my astro in the process but revived at the recontructor and promptly came back after miraclulously finding a second astro! (I might have brought the first from bioome 4). Wasnt as all powerful as the last build, but pretty close and had to do the last flurry before the 2nd key as I was 5 obolites short for the second astro. I ahd already maxed out changing ether for obolites and hit every single icicle in the entire biome...stil 5 short. Kicked those Mofo's asses without the astro (even though all I had left was the regen health bar) just before the 2nd key and was able to buy the astro, which I lost with only a sliver of health on the last mofo in the challenge area. The boss door was anticlimactic and I mowed through that area (but no spoilers) so on to biome 6 with a good health bar and finally got my two way radio back for +25 protection so back to 50% overall.

Fuck area 6. Ive been a soulsborne fan a long time, and love fair difficulty where if I suck I get punished, but cheap difficulty gets on my nerves and this game has done it in level 6. THey were creative with some aspects but several were just cheap, scripted health loss and likely death....no other way to say it. I have only the last flurry of key protectors and the boss door itself left....but Im limping with low health, one of my artifacts (explosion after dash) was "stolen" and already used the astro and recontructor. Its definitely going to be tough to keep my first try on bosses alive from 3,4, going...I dont count 5 because well i was forced to opent that door without being able to go backward...there has never been a swinging grapple that does not go both ways before...but anyway, its going to be tough this time me thinks. I always do better on their classic boss idea rather than the stupid challenge dungeon type stuff ....but I still have that type of last stronghold to beat before the boss.....we'll see. Its exciting nevertheless.

JeloSWE

For me it's about expectations. Dying is part of the game play loops, if you go in with the mind set of a traditional game where you just continually progress through a story and maps, then dying might feel really bad. The game is built around repetition, learning new enemy patterns, weapon handling and the basic game play is super fun and addictive. I expect to die a couple of times until I understand how to beat new enemies. I don't mind dying as each new run is interesting in it self and the game play is so good feeling and polished.

Also, I think the dread of dying and losing it all is the most important part, if you didn't lose so much time spent and upgrades accumulated then the battles wouldn't feel as dangerous and intense and victories would mean much less. If you were able to save and quickly resume with you progress intact, each battle would be less scary and rewarding. It's like in real world gambling, it's only really fun when you put in actual money you risk to lose, in gaming what you put on the line to make it more intense is invested player time, game progress and valued upgrades.

But still you do get permanently raise weapon trait's the more you play and you do get good suit upgrades as you progress at specific points and after each boss you can quickly get to each new biome and where there is a weapon proficiency upgrade making it possible to just jump right into it with only som minor pre grinding to increase health a bit. Also you did gain some thing each run if you pay attention, it's learning about enemy behaviors/patterns and how to deal with them in the next run. It's an immaterial upgrade but it's real data gained in your head :)

So for me it's about expectations, I don't expect to complete the game in one or a few attempts but am ready to die many times to learn the ropes.

Last edited:

Agree with you, the design is not friendly to the casual player. I think this idea where you should enjoy redoing 2-3 hours of progress is not what people are used to and this merge of arcade with story is unique, but also strange. The fact the save system is perplexing the devs surprised me, but I have hope for the game and future content/patches. I just don’t think it did itself any favors by being ridged with its design.

Cobenzl

I would love to have been part of the testing on this game. I’m sure they would have tested various iterations, with and without mid-level saves and other gameplay conveniences so what we’ve got at the moment has to be a conscious design choice. You can always patch in more convenience at a later stage if you want to, but if it was there from the beginning only a few hardcores would go there. I admire their single-minded approach.

Last edited:

engstra

One thing I've been thinking about is I wish that atropian keys were a bit more common. I always scour the entire biomes when playing but there's just never enough keys to open all gates or chests. This is especially true on Biome 3. Either I wish they were more to pick up or that there would be an option to trade ether for keys.

JeloSWE

Agree with you, the design is not friendly to the casual player. I think this idea where you should enjoy redoing 2-3 hours of progress is not what people are used to and this merge of arcade with story is unique, but also strange. The fact the save system is perplexing the devs surprised me, but I have hope for the game and future content/patches. I just don’t think it did itself any favors by being ridged with its design.
I would love to have been part of the testing on this game. I’m sure they would have tested various iterations, with and without mid-level saves and other gameplay conveniences so what we’ve got at the moment has to be a conscious design choice. You can always patch in more convenience at a later stage if you want to, but if it was there from the beginning only a few hardcores would go there. I admire their single-minded approach.
A big part of what makes this game exhilarating is the high risk vs reward, the longer you play and the more powerful you get, the more tense every near death moment becomes. If you were able to save the game, the risks would be lower and the hole reward feeling would lose it's edge. If they implemented a resume or crash save system it might be difficult to differentiate it from cloud save skumning. So this is likely the reason the devs haven't implemented a mid run save. But I think it's a bit silly, it would be okay to cheat for those that really want to.

One thing I've been thinking about is I wish that atropian keys were a bit more common. I always scour the entire biomes when playing but there's just never enough keys to open all gates or chests. This is especially true on Biome 3. Either I wish they were more to pick up or that there would be an option to trade ether for keys.
This is probably by design, this is a risk vs reward situation, which one of the 2 should you open if you only have 1 key. Also do you open this chest now for a potential early good weapon or do you save it for later for a locked room with potentially multiple items and weapons. This type of RNG with recourses and their stats is basically what makes collecting them so addicting. This is referred to "Intermittent Reinforcement" In gambling:

"In behaviorism, Intermittent Reinforcement is a conditioning schedule in which a reward or punishment (reinforcement) is not administered every time the desired response is performed. This differs from continuous reinforcement which is when the organism receives the reinforcement every time the desired response is performed. For example, on a continuous reinforcement schedule a mouse who pulls a lever would receive food (reinforcement) every single time it pulled the lever. On an intermittent reinforcement schedule the mouse would only receive food every few times (it is typically random and unpredictable). There is an increased likelihood the desired behavior will continue with intermittent reinforcement conditioning and the behavior lasts longer than continuous reinforcement. Gambling is an example of intermittent reinforcement. You don't win every time or win the same amount when using a slot machine- this wouldn't be exciting or fun. The reinforcement is intermittent and causes a positive and euphoric response in the brain that in some circumstances can lead to gambling addiction." source: https://www.alleydog.com/glossary/definition.php?term=Intermittent+Reinforcement

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
If you are not a high traffic account I think YouTube don't put you in the priority queue. :)

Could be, but then other 7-10min videos tend to be ready within few hours. I put them in Private, added extensive subtitles, polish the details until the 4K version is ready. 1080p been ready since yesterday though for 58min, boss fight was in 4K within few hours.

JeloSWE

Could be, but then other 7-10min videos tend to be ready within few hours. I put them in Private, added extensive subtitles, polish the details until the 4K version is ready. 1080p been ready since yesterday though for 58min, boss fight was in 4K within few hours.
It probably depends on the current load on the processing queues at YT.

Con_Z_ǝdʇ

JeloSWE JeloSWE summarized it quite well already.

You are not supposed to open all the red doors or chests. It is a gamble.
If you could, what would the purpose be of having locked doors?

With the current state of the keys it feels highly satisfying to just find one.
And after you decided when to use it you gain a lot of self-affirmation.

In addition to that you will find malignant keys which can be cleansed and artifacts that give you the possibility of reusing a key.
With both you can open most of the locked doors and chests which can make you pretty overpowered, depending on the things you'll find.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned

In addition to that you will find malignant keys which can be cleansed and artifacts that give you the possibility of reusing a key.
With both you can open most of the locked doors and chests which can make you pretty overpowered.

I would suggest not using the keys for the chests, the loot is usually garbage compared to red gates (closed blue gates).

Last edited:

Con_Z_ǝdʇ

I would suggest not using the keys for the chests, the loot is usually garbage compared to red gates (closed blue gates).
It really depends if there is more in a room than just one upgrade. Maybe even one you don't need all that much.
Whereas a chest can give you a powerful artifact or not. You can never be sure.

Having said that i also tend to use the keys for doors more than chests.

Last edited:

Con_Z_ǝdʇ

Guys I need tips for the last stretch of biome 6. Those big mini bosses are eating me alive. All was well until these fuckers.
Focus on them first.
Alt fire first then run towards him while you shoot.
Melee him to get the stagger and then keep firing.

It helped me to keep some consumables for when he appears.
Like an instant reset for the alt fire or the ice impuls which freezes him.
Upgrading your sword is also very effective.

Stay away from his pink projectiles since they can afflict malfunctions and learn to dodge his melee attack.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Guys I need tips for the last stretch of biome 6. Those big mini bosses are eating me alive. All was well until these fuckers.

Don't approach them, don't be on an exposed ground. Use environment as a shield and run away from their crazy, pinky, malfunction-infested arrows! Don't use low-reach guns, stick to Hollowseeker, Carbine, or even a Pistol.

engstra

This is probably by design, this is a risk vs reward situation, which one of the 2 should you open if you only have 1 key. Also do you open this chest now for a potential early good weapon or do you save it for later for a locked room with potentially multiple items and weapons. This type of RNG with recourses and their stats is basically what makes collecting them so addicting. This is referred to "Intermittent Reinforcement" In gambling:

With both you can open most of the locked doors and chests which can make you pretty overpowered, depending on the things you'll find.
I appreciate that it's a gamble and I don't mind that at all. I really enjoy the risk reward of malignancies, especially when having artefacts that increase integrity and gives other abilities etc. However as someone who always wants to explore every nook and cranny in a game, it's frustrating to have areas locked away with no way of entering. It also seems like the keys are more abundant in the first biome which usually means I don't hesitate to use them in that biome which then means I don't have enough keys in the later ones. That's why I think an option to buy keys could've worked well, as it's still a gamble as you're using valuable ether to open chests and doors that might not have anything valuable to you.

Bartski

Gold Member
Turning off auto updates just in case it fucks up saves again. 🥶
yeah I'd back up to cloud and unsync just in case. I guess solving random crashes is now their top priority but I'm hoping fallen Selenes make a comeback. I hope to do some runs this weekend

Mr Hyde

Another crash to OS. In Biome 3, looking for the sun fragment. As always I had great build, very tanky, high protection. Put several hours into it. It's really sad it has to be this way. It hurts the game so much. I love playing it, but it's so fucking frustrating to have your character build just go up in flames like this. Housemarque and Sony needs to get their fucking shit in order if they want to charge premium like this.

Top Bottom