• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal |OT| Live. Die. Repeat.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
State of the art SSD and takes 4 minutes to install a 1GB patch.
Not talking about downloading, it's the copy process after download

Have you played the game since you've beaten it?

Yes, like 1-2 hours looking for sunface with no luck, then twice on those 2 (3) videos I posted. Now only playing further it to cover all biomes on youtube if anything, but not really enjoying doing it that much because I didn't replay my best game ever GOW after beating it.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
That was unnecessary. Why are they trying to make this game less enjoyable?
cNuwOj6.jpg

drotahorror

Yes, like 1-2 hours looking for sunface with no luck, then twice on those 2 (3) videos I posted. Now only playing further it to cover all biomes on youtube if anything, but not really enjoying doing it that much because I didn't replay my best game ever GOW after beating it.

Ah ok.

If you play as much as me that -10 ether for 100 obs is a massive nerf. Not to mention the Repository barely even works as it is. You can go 2 or 3 long ass runs and not ever get an item from it after putting in your obs/ether. I'm usually capped on ether, so I just use them for some quick obolites.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Ah ok.

If you play as much as me that -10 ether for 100 obs is a massive nerf. Not to mention the Repository barely even works as it is. You can go 2 or 3 long ass runs and not ever get an item from it after putting in your obs/ether. I'm usually capped on ether, so I just use them for some quick obolites.

Man, I've spent the last 2 runs on 1st (then shut down the console) and 2nd biome fresh start (shut down the console) without finding a figurine. I find many things I should get but you can manage without being 100% prepared.

Ok now I understand what you said, that is really extreme as it was already too expensive. This is literally ruining the game to most people.

Last edited:

Con_Z_ǝdʇ

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
I tend to be more protective, so I miss a lot of the fallen Obolites. They really should remain around much longer.
It is tricky sometimes to fight and collect. I started to melee nearly everything in the first biome lately expect from the bigger enemies, so this is not a big deal.

It just gets a problem in later biomes or when the time to pick up obolites is reduced through parasites.

drotahorror

Man, I've spent the last 2 runs on 1st (then shut down the console) and 2nd biome fresh start (shut down the console) without finding a figurine. I find many things I should get but you can manage without being 100% prepared.

Ok now I understand what you said, that is really extreme as it was already too expensive. This is literally ruining the game to most people.

Well, like I said the Repository was barely usable anyway, if you deposit something you have to wait to be able to use it again. This can take hours/multiple runs to use again.

Trying to see if anything has changed....

I did a full clear of Biome 4, got 3 scouts. I'm about half way through Biome 5. I don't notice any difficulty changes yet, just the scouts.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Well, like I said the Repository was barely usable anyway, if you deposit something you have to wait to be able to use it again. This can take hours/multiple runs to use again.

Trying to see if anything has changed....

I did a full clear of Biome 4, got 3 scouts. I'm about half way through Biome 5. I don't notice any difficulty changes yet, just the scouts.

Never seen a scout myself yet I get always notifications of my friend dying.

Ok I'll try finishing 3rd biome within 1 hour from a fresh start.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned

i never used before because i thought it was a rip off. but maybe its because i would clear every biome throughly even the challenge rooms and always had enough obolites

drotahorror

Did full clear of biome 4 5 and sped through 6. Nothing changed in terms of difficulty except added scouts.

Also I noticed the big tentacle things in biome 4 that sometimes have shields, they can move now. I don't remember them moving before patch.

I thought maybe the challenge rooms might be different but no, 4 5 6 challenge rooms all the same.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
yeah I played a bit now and I guess that was just very strange rng on that first run... Many more buffed enemies than usual somehow and I've never seen Severed in B3 before. Everything seems as balanced as it was on average.

Con_Z_ǝdʇ

Many more buffed enemies than usual somehow...
Seems to be the most obvious change. The second room on my first run with the new update already had a crazy strong enemy. Loved it!

In this first run i finally got my last missing cipher for biome 2 and the trophy with it. I was so happy. The overall room layout also felt really fresh.

So close now to platinum. I can smell it! :messenger_beaming:

Bartski

Gold Member
I just died to a buffed malformed severed in that just randomly spawned in a "regular" room full of bottomless pits, the orange health bar freeze + purple AOE version... in B1!
They absolutely did make it harder, at least B1-B3

2AdEPT

Not sure why are you spending so much time not shooting at him. You can shoot at him from very far away. I should make a playthrough biome 3 and that boss probably tomorrow.
Not sure I was clear, but that was the first time seeing this boss...I wasnt sure what to expect and the only streateegies that I would recommend from the video are acquiring the damaged robot artifact (more invulnerability after a hit) then using void cannon (buiilds damamge the longer you stay on one target) and Electropylon driver which in general destrys this boss. You are right..if I would have shot even more it would have been better. But also, figuring out only after the fact that I should have been ready to grapple FORWARD instead of to the side all the time would have cut this video in half.
Some speedrunner managed to finish the game in just 5min.:

As much as I knew this could be done, and am tempted to doing it myself to get back to the last boss as I now know the "trick" to it after dying stupidly my first run........ this isnt a true "speed run" IMO simply because he is not starting from scratch in biome 1 with a new save and has obviously built up his character to be able to deal with any RNG situation...his default pistol starts at level 24 for example and he started over a couple times likely abnd only showed us the last "restart cyle" he did, not the 100 prelimniarny ones until he got what he wanted.

Me thinks the kotaku article, and he as a result is benefitting from the hype of "wow" 5 minutes....I give credit where it is due, but this one is "meh".
edit: see below. Thanks for this BTW I will not be downloading this patch.
The Electropylon driver is your best friend against the last boss.
LOL, I am glad the EPD still "works" but even though I thought I figured out the trick during my first attempt, it still didnt work and I died on phase 3, admittedly with no heals or astro etc. I guess I will focus more on the red dots not as much on the blue orbs which I did the frist run. I dount that boss 6 will get me nect time but for whatever reason I am rushing on biome 4, dying stupid, losing my astro etc on stupid stuff on biome 5 and not treating the regular enemies with the respect they deserve...makes the game lat longer I guess but frustrating.

-------------------------------------

I guess I wont be downloading the patch until after I kill boss 6. I live and die with geting as many upgrades as possible. Here is my rank of the best artifacts (which you can also get from datacubes and fabricators etc. not just chests and blue doors). So keys are also important but generally I always do the daily challnge to get ether, which then gets 200 extra obolites for 5 ether. I dont buy the new artifact at the start until after I know the level and budget for the artifacts and upgrades I have found...I left high integrity out as its an obviouos thing to invest in and get high, the rest can be debated.

List of top 5 parasite/ artifacts/ perks:

1.) Damaged robot (or equal perk form other source) - extra invulnerabilty after getting hit - its huge, easily the best perk as you can tank 100-200% more hits over the whole boss fight...especially stacked with high protection you are pretty much invincible for 3-5 seconds at a time (I dontn know exactly but its in that range I think normal is only 1-2 seconds) and can use your alt/fire, stand in and tank hits on purpose. If you stand in for 10 seconds for example you will only tank 1-2 hits instead of 3-4. I will emphasize that you have to attack during that time or it isnt much use and just procrastinates the inevitable if you arent attacking. But with Electropylon driver whch kills over time, and or the void cannon which builds damage the longer it is kept on the same target, this is a deadly combination. You can also "stand in" with the consumable that increases attack by 100% but reduces mobility, obviously not asn issue if you are standing in anyway. Be mindful all attacks are not the same....this istrat is with the common floaty BS orbs like on Nemesis, NOT the purple rings from the final boss...those would not be wise to stand in front of and tank.

2.) large and then small basic heals - especially combined with the obvious high integrity and high percentage of repair efficiency these give you more health back then the astro...you just have to know when your health is low and when to use them. I even put theseabove regen at low health, becuase they give you a whole bar back whioch is better than astro and although the parasite that saves a death, astro, and regen at low health are great and make the list, hey are NOT as powerful as basic heals. Take two or three heals to a boss fight with high repair efficency and a large integrity and you should be able to win with even less protection. This also negates the need to live and die with the low regen set up which at first I thought was #1 and now doesnt even make the top 5 list. I have lost runs to trying to spare these for bosses so be careful not to glorify the that much and mnot use in an emergency, but ingeneral dont use them frivolously. A small aside is to always go to at least the start of area five before taking the plunge shortcut to 6 as there is a small heal for free every time at the start of B5. The big heal at the start of 5 is only 150 obs. There is two right there.

3.) that said, protection is the most important of the abilities to stack. especially in combo with the above. Therefore the best one item to get for protection is the two -way radio. As long as you have 15 ether it gives you 25% protection, easily the highest one time gift of protection in the game. Even with only 13 ether one time it still gave me 23% so I assume 15 ether is the cut off..could be wrong. Ill take the 15% protection parasite, but that usually gimps something important like -50% melee attacks was the last one I got....all you have to do for two -way radio is have high ether, which most do. The alt/fire that gives 10% protection is great and usually costs less than straigth 10% protection..its rare that people wont max their alt/fire and especially its gimped from parasties etc this one is just as good or better for the price. I used to think 25, or 30% protection at low health was good as I was always there with the other low health perks...but with the above strats its better to have a bigger health bar and be closer to the "full" status rather than low all the time.LOL.

4.) Ok the astro and the wrist watch are damn good and make the list, but I wanted to stress that the others are more important and a large heal for example casts 100 obolites less than an astro and gives you waaaay more health when asll is said and done. I know its a good failsafe for emergencies....but still not as useful for the money as a large heal. the parasite that gives you a free death is a no brainer but does not give much if any health...plus an malfunction...so not quite as good.

5.) The perk that gives you 15% less cost and the one time shot that reduces 30%. Obviously save your 30% one time shot for the most expensive upgrades. The health regen for adrenaline leve is great for fast twith gamers but costs a lot. its probably best to use your 30% on the suit intgriy upgrade though as it is pretty costly compared to the big heal for example. Anything that reduces the costs so that you can STACK the above "best" stuff and tank hits makes this game soo mch easier. Because of the RNG sucking most runs, you need to have the leisure to bypass a lot of the crappy offerings is very useful.

Also having extra coin enables the plethora of secondary perks that perhaps are still good and you can tack on after you get the above. They include all the high damamge ones, health regen at low integrity, damage at low integrity, all the adrenaline ones, but those require that you are "gud" and can dodge, this list is more for average gamers who dont necessarily do good at shooters or fast twitch gaming. THis $$$ perk gives you that littel extra you might need to put you over the top...but if push comes to shove....make sure you get as many of the above ones first. I have not noticed if the artifact that increases "all" positive effects of parasites even works, it doesnt seem to affect inegrity or protection, the two largest ones...at least on the stats page? It might be up there if it actaully helped those things.

Last edited:

[Sigma]

I've decided im going ahead and starting ona new save to finish off the Platinum. It's going to suck because ive been through this game so many times and i'll have to find the scout logs(for biome 4) and sun fragments all over again. Plus I have go through the house sequences again. Not looking forward to this lol.

2AdEPT

I've decided im going ahead and starting ona new save to finish off the Platinum. It's going to suck because ive been through this game so many times and i'll have to find the scout logs(for biome 4) and sun fragments all over again. Plus I have go through the house sequences again. Not looking forward to this lol.
I suppose if you did the "correct" house sequences the first time it might be boring but I think I missed at least one artifact by goign out of the "best" order in the second house sequence in particular ....never got the
music box
so wouldn mind going through for that ...but I hear you...my first playthrough I think I got 46 out of 47 glyphs for biome 2 for example..only been there 3 times! Doubt I could beat that efficiency! Or is that likley the whole of 1, 2, and 3 combined?

Geez I really like this game but FFS how do you turn off the auto update?!?!?!!?!?!?! I clearly had it off in the only menu I could find on the topic and it auto updated and installed the update automatically in rest mode when I specifically turned off that feature before and it is still blacked out and off now....what gives?!?!?! I didnt want the first update that nerfed my healing at the ship and I dont want harder enemies and nerfed obolite for ether machine now either!!!!! Not to mention I lost another great run! Thats at least 6-7, 4-5 hour runs that were incredible RNG down tthe toilet and only one or two were my own stupidity...3 of then were clearly owing to crashes and bugs with this game or the machine in rest mode. 2 on autoupdates alone. Are they somehow bypassing theability to forego autoupddates if people are in rest mode??!?!?

Last edited:

tommib

Gold Member
Good news about the game: it doesn’t crash anymore. I played for 6 hours last night and not one single crash. I was even using the bonus suits and nothing. Super stable. I was fucking around all over, did the challenge, went through world 4, 5 and 6 several times and all good.

Bad news: Ophion still hates me.

Question: should I just grind world 4 and then move on to 6 or the best strategy is to also grind 5? 5 is kind of tricky with the waves of severed and I end up losing some health there.

I’m just not clicking with Ophion which is weird because everyone here says it’s the easiest boss of the game. I get lost between hitting the orbs and all the purple rays and eventually don’t know what I’m doing anymore. Nemesis was a cakewalk.

So I got this game the other day.

I tried it for a few hours, plays well enough but it hasn't yet hooked me.

I went to play it the next day and my controller was completely drained, despite not having a low battery when I shut the system down completely the night before. the only difference from usual was I had left the wired headset plugged in ?? this doesn't drain the controller in an off state, surely?

I googled it this morning and see lots of various drained battery issues, since launch.

This was the first time it has happened to my dualsense, just another quirky "feature" to add to my PS5 experience.

FrankWza

Question: should I just grind world 4 and then move on to 6 or the best strategy is to also grind 5? 5 is kind of tricky with the waves of severed and I end up losing some health there.
even if you don’t grind 5 it still pays to go to the first room and grab a free couple of items and jump in the pool to go to 6. You can do a couple of rooms and try for an extra astronaut and buy that other vial too.

Con_Z_ǝdʇ

Sometimes i got a really powerful weapon in biome 4. When this happened i skipped biome 5.
If you do this than at least visit the starting area of 5 since you get weapon proficiency and a healing item for free at the start.

Once you cleared biome 5 for the first time you don't have to do the challenge room again. Maybe just try to clear the easier parts and then go for 6.

Con_Z_ǝdʇ

Bad news: Ophion still hates me.

I’m just not clicking with Ophion which is weird because everyone here says it’s the easiest boss of the game. I get lost between hitting the orbs and all the purple rays and eventually don’t know what I’m doing anymore. Nemesis was a cakewalk.
Stay as far away from him as possible!

This made a huge difference for me since most particle attacks have spread out once they reach you and avoiding them gets a bit easier.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
So I got this game the other day.

I tried it for a few hours, plays well enough but it hasn't yet hooked me.

I went to play it the next day and my controller was completely drained, despite not having a low battery when I shut the system down completely the night before. the only difference from usual was I had left the wired headset plugged in ?? this doesn't drain the controller in an off state, surely?

I googled it this morning and see lots of various drained battery issues, since launch.

This was the first time it has happened to my dualsense, just another quirky "feature" to add to my PS5 experience.

Personally my controller lasts for like 10-9 hours on Returnal when played it day one before going to the next controller.

FrankWza

Stay as far away from him as possible!

This made a huge difference for me since most particle attacks have spread out once they reach you and avoiding them gets a bit easier.
Totally. First phase you can get closer here and there. After that, it’s all the way back and go from left to right just waiting to jump the purple rings.

Shmunter

Sad to say. This game has turned out to not be for me.

I’m simply not a fan of grinding in any way shape or form. Likely why I actively dislike open world games with all the mindless. filler.

Going back and redoing a build each time has become mind numbing and I’m longing for different experiences already. There’s just to much too play to be doing this over and over, and simply not enough time.

Don’t have the patience to collect trinkets and play carefully. Over and out.

Last edited:

FrankWza

This game is really great. I’m excited to see what Housemarque will do on their next game. I’d also like to see more games like this in general.
Sad to say. This game has turned out to not be for me.

I’m simply not a fan of grinding in any way shape or form. Likely why I actively dislike open world games with all the mindless. filler.

Going back and redoing a build each time has become mind numbing and I’m longing for different experiences already. There’s just to much to play to be doing this over and over, and simply not enough time.

Don’t have the patience to collect trinkets and play carefully. Over and out.
Normally I’d agree. The big difference here is the controls and gameplay. I’m not one for fetch quests and all but I like just running around shooting, boosting and grappling around.

Shmunter

This game is really great. I’m excited to see what Housemarque will do on their next game. I’d also like to see more games like this in general.

Normally I’d agree. The big difference here is the controls and gameplay. I’m not one for fetch quests and all but I like just running around shooting, boosting and grappling around.
The random weapon selection also is brutal. No ability to hone something unless it’s the pistol. But I tried it and got smoked by Boss 1 back then…so 🤔

fallingdove

I wish I wasn’t so attached to the Rising Leech Carbine, Full Auto Rocket Launcher, and Wave Portal Hollowseeker. I want to try another weapon with one of my runs but I know that I’ll get roasted while trying to level up perks or fit the gun to my play style.

Anyway - made another 4-6 run last night. Finally got one of the two glyphs I was looking for in 6. The game feels a bit more balanced with the latest patch but I can’t help but feel a little burned by the nerfs to the helios bed and obelite/ether converter.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The random weapon selection also is brutal. No ability to hone something unless it’s the pistol. But I tried it and got smoked by Boss 1 back then…so 🤔
I am playing mercenaries in RE8 and every map has a bunch of random upgrades that give you enhanced abilites are perks. There are no debuffs so for instance if you get a headshot damage perk, you dont have to worry about a debuff that makes it not worthwhile like in Returnal. You are constantly improving your build in mercenaries which is not always the case in Returnal where a bad run can land you with some really bad artifacts.

I think Returnal is just way too punishing for its own good. You remove the debuffs on artifacts and malfunctions and the games becomes a lot more fun right away. A weapon store wouldve helped too.

JeloSWE

I completely agree. I tried TLOU2 60fps patch and moving Elie feels crazy heavy and unresponsive coming from Returnal. This game controls as well as Quake does which is highest praise from me :) I would be surprised if the game play designers were old Quake veterans.

2AdEPT

I wish I wasn’t so attached to the Rising Leech Carbine, Full Auto Rocket Launcher, and Wave Portal Hollowseeker. I want to try another weapon with one of my runs but I know that I’ll get roasted while trying to level up perks or fit the gun to my play style.

Anyway - made another 4-6 run last night. Finally got one of the two glyphs I was looking for in 6. The game feels a bit more balanced with the latest patch but I can’t help but feel a little burned by the nerfs to the helios bed and obelite/ether converter.
A little burned? WTF was I supposed to do after 5 hours and I always go to biome "easy" door, the one with portal and now with the friggin update I get 2 backstabbing severed instead of the normal single (whioch is normnally reserved for the boss fight of the area) which I couldnt run away from and used all my consumables and still lost both my astro and my life what a fucking waste of time tonight....making it waaaaaaay harder for non shooter gamers like me felt downright cruel. I came to rely on the old game for certian things...the oblite machine being one and the fucking scouts not turning into the deadliest monster inthe game either. FUCK these devs are hardcore. For those that want a better "challenge" they are catering to you guys for sure.

Shmunter

A little burned? WTF was I supposed to do after 5 hours and I always go to biome "easy" door, the one with portal and now with the friggin update I get 2 backstabbing severed instead of the normal single (whioch is normnally reserved for the boss fight of the area) which I couldnt run away from and used all my consumables and still lost both my astro and my life what a fucking waste of time tonight....making it waaaaaaay harder for non shooter gamers like me felt downright cruel. I came to rely on the old game for certian things...the oblite machine being one and the fucking scouts not turning into the deadliest monster inthe game either. FUCK these devs are hardcore. For those that want a better "challenge" they are catering to you guys for sure.
Hehe

FrankWza

Yeah that’s true. The only pro is there are many chests. They definitely have different characteristics, perks and reticles.
I completely agree. I tried TLOU2 60fps patch and moving Elie feels crazy heavy and unresponsive coming from Returnal. This game controls as well as Quake does which is highest praise from me :) I would be surprised if the game play designers were old Quake veterans.
I would put it in the same class as MGSV and some Platinum games.

fallingdove

Yeah, that’s rough. I avoid all of the scouts. The risk is too high. I have also found that purchasing the astronaut is a waste. Saving ether and spending it on the reconstructor has been much more effective.

I used to struggle with the backstabbing severed. Keeping your distance, holding on to a dash for once you have been targeted, and using the trackerswarm secondary liberally helped me in figuring out their rhythm.

Top Bottom