• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reviewers should lie on game reviews to save the industry

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
Games that review well quiet often sell well, games that review mediocre and poor sell like crap.

If you are a reviewer, instead of giving a game 7.4, just make up a lie and say the game is a solid 8.3.

That way, lots of people will get to keep their jobs and we get more games. After Covid, game development has not been easy for developers and publishers. Give them a break.

Robochobo

lwqBwea.gif

ultrazilla

Games that review well quiet often sell well, games that review mediocre and poor sell like crap.

If you are a reviewer, instead of giving a game 7.4, just make up a lie and say the game is a solid 8.3.

That way, lots of people will get to keep their jobs and we get more games. After Covid, game development has not been easy for developers and publishers. Give them a break.

"Take this beater car and drive cross country and when you break down in the middle of a desert give the car a nice review because the car industry is suffering!"

200w.gif

Jigsaah

Gold Member

Well since you haven't thought this through...what happens when they review a game positively and the people who buy it find out it's actually a pile of dogshit?

Chuck Berry

Gold Member

Fitting username

T4keD0wN

Ok, got it. Ill do that, next youll tell me to donate a million dollars to help those poor companies because of their self inflicted failures.

I will do that too, worry not (i just wont be awake while doing so)

Last edited:

Kumomeme

what a hot take but i can see why

it is hurt to see games got damaged by review bombing or unfair rating but in the end the root cause is the rating system itself IMO. there is lot detrimental impact and the concern that been voiced out is is nothing new. what industry need is actually to do is stop rely on the system as a sole measurement. either abolish it or revamp it with more subjective fair assesment system than just simple numbering of 1-10.

however with current situation, it is more than just about rating. already far pass beyond that point now. we even see higher rating games struggle to break number sold and we see a top studio still end up having a lay off. at this point rating cant help much IMO. the cost and development time getting longer and market trend especially with newer generations is changing. mere rating or Game Award's accolades wont fix that.

Last edited:

Rac3r

Lots of games review well and still sell like crap. Hi-Fi Rush was critically acclaimed and the entire studio shut down a year later. This industry is fucked.

Last edited:
OP, I hope you are trolling... I really do.

Lowering the standards is ridiculous.

Sorry we see this in the real world for other things to devastating results.

Lets "make it so SATs aren't needed so less studious get into ivy league schools.
Lets lower standards so its "more equal", so we can get more x people in, who cares if its a medical doctor or airplane piolot.
Lets let people not post bail and go free after arrested to be more fair.
lets make it so there is no weigh requirement for fire fighters so we can "get more women" involved.
Lets push dei into everything.. to even the field.
Lets have consultant groups re-write our scripts.
Lets lie about reviews to save the industry.

You see how that fits in?
All this means no hierarchy of achievement. You take away excellence and goals and you are left with mediocrity and shit.
You need reviews, as developers who do well need to know it. Failure is a learning experience.
You learn from your mistakes. Push woke shit and people don't buy (saints row reboot), company goes bye bye as it lost millions. (unless you are Disney then you fail upwards and more slop gets greenlit)

Imagine people lying about Saints row reboot in reviews. The signal would be that you can get away with crap woke shit , and bugs and it will still score good. Other studios would follow suit and we would be left with more shit.
Redfall failing was deserved.
Saints row reboot failing -deserved.

Only one I take issue with is Tango , and that was all MS being shitty MS. That's their mo. They did it with so many studios. That game had great reviews btw...so it doesn't do what you want.

Last edited:

MDSLKTR

Keep Talking Idris Elba GIF

Shut0wen

Banned
A majority of good reviews actually sell like pure shit, yet you can make the worst cod ever mw3 and sell like shit

calistan

Games companies have PR departments dedicated to getting the best possible reviews for their games, so this already happens to a certain extent.

Back when I worked on games mags there was a senior PR woman (former journalist) who prided herself on her ability to secure a particular tame reviewer or a guaranteed score for her games. Like, I'll give you early review code if you can promise me a 9, or I'll only give the code to Freelancer X and you'll need to go through him.

Top Bottom