• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reviewers should lie on game reviews to save the industry

This forum sometimes plunges into such abyssic depths of unmitigated idiocy that I'm just in pure awe

Happy Antonio Banderas GIF

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I think he's gone completely off the deep end in the last few weeks. I think some Sony fans are struggling with the reality they are facing and are just letting it out in one way or another.

Struggling with the idea that a 5 hour slog that has no gameplay is undeserving of an 82 meta?

No that’s just common sense. HB2 got the Captain Save a StudiHO award

coffinbirth

Serious question, does anyone actually read game reviews anymore, let alone to inform their purchases?

Admittedly, this was absolutely practiced by myself back when I had a subscription to Next Gen Magazine, but that was like 20 fucking years ago. Now I just lookup some gameplay vids and decide from there if there is any question about a games quality.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Serious question, does anyone actually read game reviews anymore, let alone to inform their purchases?

Admittedly, this was absolutely practiced by myself back when I had a subscription to Next Gen Magazine, but that was like 20 fucking years ago. Now I just lookup some gameplay vids and decide from there if there is any question about a games quality.

I have a very small selection of YouTubers whose opinions I value. I haven't read a review from one of the games media outlets for many years.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I refuse to believe anybody would think this is a good idea.

Shitposting supreme right here. The OP is probably giggling their ass off reading these replies.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
I may glance at a review or two for some titles that i may be unsure of, but honestly in cases like that, 95% of the time ill read review threads here to get impressions of games from people i actually trust.

ahtlas7

Gold Member
I only deal in propaganda and engagement numbers

I never claimed to be a good human.i call myself a blogger generally cus i was never trained in journalism, learning as i go.i fuck up a lot, get things wrong, but it's not out of malice. it's just general stupidity and i apologise profusely for it. can only try to do better with good faith advice from ppl who take it upon themselves to give it. i appreciate you ahtlas7 ahtlas7 . i want to give my family a better future otherwise id find an actual job, cuz im so unintentionally bad at this and dealing with ppl. im sorry.
You’re trying to hard. Lying is so much easier and you’ll keep yourself employed.

N30RYU

Anyone buying based on reviews deserved to be scammed just like ppl who preorder based on a game's name

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Games that review well quiet often sell well, games that review mediocre and poor sell like crap.

If you are a reviewer, instead of giving a game 7.4, just make up a lie and say the game is a solid 8.3.

That way, lots of people will get to keep their jobs and we get more games. After Covid, game development has not been easy for developers and publishers. Give them a break.

Id believe it if you told me your one of those kids who go a trophy for sitting on the bench all 9 innings.

If a game sucks tell us we already have media lying to us about 90% of things.

6lljub.jpg

Last edited:

OP is right but we must take it further.

We agree to pretend every game is 8.3 or above (for no cost). The publisher can give their shit away to us for free but pretend every game sells 6million...and the coders can pretend they earned a wage.

Videogame industry implodes / becomes shareware and once the useless bastards move on it can rise like a phoenix. No careers of value are lost in the long run.

Last edited:
Games that review well quiet often sell well, games that review mediocre and poor sell like crap.

If you are a reviewer, instead of giving a game 7.4, just make up a lie and say the game is a solid 8.3.

That way, lots of people will get to keep their jobs and we get more games. After Covid, game development has not been easy for developers and publishers. Give them a break.

IT'S NOT EVEN WEDNESDAY YET!!!

Also:
aYkPURH.jpeg

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Wait. I’m lost. It seems like there are a few different takes happening and people assuming their side is true.

Are there people here that think reviewers don’t already pad scores up for various reasons?

hinch7

This is daft. But then again there's some review websites that are just basically there for paid reviews, anyways lol.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife

Same. Think I haven't read a review in quite a while.

In my opinion they are a thing of the past. The only value they have left is the score at the end and that's just because people love their numbers being high. High scores, high player counts, high MAU... whatever feeds their arguments.

NonPhixion

Publishers just need to pick the reviewers they like and send them the review copies before release. Like what Bethesda did with Starfield. A ton of review outlets were stuck waiting for a street copy.

Filben

Reviewers give average games 8/10 or 80 /100 for ages which makes the whole point system completely absurd because it's not evenly weighed over the whole respective scale.

Barakov

get out frog GIF

Oppoi

Scores affected by lies are already apparent that's why a 1-10 scale is totally skewed around the 8 mark.

Last edited:

Lambogenie

Half these fools already do.

We shouldn't enable mediocrity. As if schools haven't normalised that and left grown adults as entitled idiots. Participation prize mentality.

Really, reviewers should always give unrealistically low or high scores - people would want to check out the reviews to see what’s up and the review website would get a ton of hits and it would help their revenue. I can’t see why they would ever help devs.

Top Bottom