• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reviewers should lie on game reviews to save the industry

King Dazzar

Oh dear, someone else who was dropped on their head as a baby.
GIF by ABC Network

schaft0620

This already happens with every review.

On a 0 to 10 sale 5 would be an average game. Today the average game gets a 7. If a game gets a 5 that typically means its an unplayable mess, broken of some sort, or barely passes as a game.

Then you have the less objective stuff like, Hellblade 2 was absolutely inflated by 1 point on its aggregate score. It was reviewed by people rooting for Xbox to be successful along with others that did not want the studio to close.

Last edited:

Hudo

Reviewers are already writing/spouting bullshit, dude. So many fucking mediocre games getting scores above 8.

GHound

"So instead of, because we want to keep some symblance of a relationship with the publisher, giving games that were honestly mid as shit 5/10 games at best 5s we were giving them 7s and 8s. Now because times have gotten so hard for all of the unskilled workers that were hired on during COVID for COVID bucks we're going to bump that up to 8s and 9s! Games that we despise from a political standpoint we'll still rate lower than we would otherwise rate though because we definitely still have our principals."

Yeah I can imagine this being something the EIC of one of those trash rags would say.

Last edited:
Youre Crazy GIF by Mashed

As though review inflation isn't already a thing? The fact is there are limited dollars for games out there, giving literally everything a "10" wouldn't increase sales, but would increase distrust in the media. Great way to kill your credibility. How high were you when you wrote this, because it's as intellectually deep as a puddle?

Griffon

It's already been happening for decades. That's why a lot of gamers don't gives a crap about review scores anymore.

Last edited:

Dorago

I'm reminded of the 10/10 reviews given to Destiny 2 after 50 journalists were given an all expenses paid trip to a "boot camp" at which they experienced a vertical slice of the game.

This was 7 years ago. Journalism isn't better now and neither are games.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
First ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Second, a game getting good reviews no guarantee it’s going to have high sales….look at Valkyrie Chronicles, great game which also got good reviews and still didn’t sell well, meanwhile COD can still sales a ton of copy even with poor reviews.

We also have Tango games releasing successful game like Hi-if Rush but that didn’t stop MS from shutting them down.

Last edited:

Impotaku

Games that review well quiet often sell well, games that review mediocre and poor sell like crap.

If you are a reviewer, instead of giving a game 7.4, just make up a lie and say the game is a solid 8.3.

That way, lots of people will get to keep their jobs and we get more games. After Covid, game development has not been easy for developers and publishers. Give them a break.

Why should people keep their jobs for making shit games? This isn't a fucking charity people are spending hard earned money on these games, so yeah conning people by lying on reviews is a retarded thing to want.

Congrats
JRsUwJc.png

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
They only basically use 5 - 10 of a 10 point scale, so just shrink it further 9 = piece of shit game, 10 = god tier. Everything is getting at least 9's, game sales go through the roof.

Kuranghi

Exactly, Mods please change the thread title to "Explain why you don't use dark mode so we can tell you how theres no possible explanation that passes muster and then switch to dark mode immediately".

What possible explanation is there?!?? Even during the day, with the lights on, at minimum brightness my 65" display would blind me. I even have this additional program called DimScreen which dims it further for night time when the lights are off.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Reviewers already lost relevance in the industry. There's nothing they can do to prevent the industry from heading towards gamers preferences.

Chukhopops

Good reviews didn’t save Rebirth, 92 MC and it’s given for free when you buy FFXVI … three months after launch.

I think the young generation completely replaced reviewers with whatever influencer or streamer they follow.

Last edited:
Do I detect some falsifying of documents?
I only deal in propaganda and engagement numbers

I never claimed to be a good human.i call myself a blogger generally cus i was never trained in journalism, learning as i go.i fuck up a lot, get things wrong, but it's not out of malice. it's just general stupidity and i apologise profusely for it. can only try to do better with good faith advice from ppl who take it upon themselves to give it. i appreciate you ahtlas7 ahtlas7 . i want to give my family a better future otherwise id find an actual job, cuz im so unintentionally bad at this and dealing with ppl. im sorry.

Last edited:
Top Bottom