• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RIDGE RACER 3D |OT| You've entered the slipstream! Go Go Go!

angelfly said:
RR is very sensitive about the sweet spot when the slider is all the way up. Regardless I always like playing with it all the way up.

I imagine in a day or so when I'm used to the 3D effect and my eyes are less tired I'll be able to handle it better. Looking forward to playing with it all the way up :)

Domstercool

Brandon F said:
SWITCH TO FIRST PERSON VIEW!!!

Has no one played a RR game? So aggravating watching people bump into walls constantly in third person.

I'm the total opposite. I crash like hell in first person, but can drift like a god in third :D

angelfly

Brandon F said:
SWITCH TO FIRST PERSON VIEW!!!

Has no one played a RR game? So aggravating watching people bump into walls constantly in third person.
I've been playing RR games long enough so the view doesn't matter. I always prefer 3rd person since I enjoy looking at the the car. Would be be interesting though to see a RR game with cockpit view.

meppi

Willy105 said:
That must be brutal.

Yeesh, this thread is heavy. Guess people aren't excited for their Ridge Racer this time.
It's their loss then.

The game is great.
May not be the best in the series, but it's all around excellent.

The 3D slider really is important with this game. As I said in a previous post, I was playing with it at around half way and played earlier this morning at about 60%. The visuals have gone from being very impressive to being outstanding, in terms of the 3D effect.

Yeah about 50% is ideal for this. It really makes a difference.

I'm freakin' loving the game so far, about Grand Prix events in. It's so... Ridge Racery. Bright, colourful, loud, arcadey. Perfect. So glad I bought it!

And yes, I use the in-car view. Third person is, and has always been, horrible for Ridge Racer.

Woffls

Okay this game is great. The handling is pretty much RR perfect, and that's basically all I care about. It's a bit easy so far, in that I placed 1st in my first 40 races, without exception. They were the basic cup ones obviously, but still =\

Anyone get white parts of the image being duplicated? I've not experimented much with the slider, but it still looks awesome anyway. Very glad I chose this game, and I don't intend to buy another launch title.

Woffls said:
Okay this game is great. The handling is pretty much RR perfect, and that's basically all I care about. It's a bit easy so far, in that I placed 1st in my first 40 races, without exception. They were the basic cup ones obviously, but still =\

Anyone get white parts of the image being duplicated? I've not experimented much with the slider, but it still looks awesome anyway. Very glad I chose this game, and I don't intend to buy another launch title.

does it get harder??

I have a question, in ridge racer 3D, there's a sort of "gost" on the sides of the screen (only on the sides), especialy noticeable when choosing the car. I mean that the right or left border, when it's really near the edge of the sreen is a little splitted, I mean the border of the car is "normal" but there is a small ghost of the image the other eyes should see. Anyone else ?

mclem

JonStark said:
I have a question, in ridge racer 3D, there's a sort of "gost" on the sides of the screen (only on the sides), especialy noticeable when choosing the car. I mean that the right or left border, when it's really near the edge of the sreen is a little splitted, I mean the border of the car is "normal" but there is a small ghost of the image the other eyes should see. Anyone else ?

I commented in the main 3DS thread that I'm seeing this ghosting when I'm not seeing it on any other games. My theory is that the game is actually antialiased, but they did it wrongly (antialiased the *final* image) so the pixels from one screen are bleeding into the other.

Without seeing the unsplit image, though, it's hard to judge.

meppi

Woffls said:

Having this exact same thing and haven't seen it in any other game so far.
A bit distracting at first when you think you might be holding the system at an angle or something, or that you have the slider at a bad position for your eyes.
But once you realize there's not much you can do about it it's very easy to just ignore.

mclem said:
I commented in the main 3DS thread that I'm seeing this ghosting when I'm not seeing it on any other games. My theory is that the game is actually antialiased, but they did it wrongly (antialiased the *final* image) so the pixels from one screen are bleeding into the other.

Without seeing the unsplit image, though, it's hard to judge.

I was worried it was only me :D

Well done, Scamco, well done :p

(I love the game tough)

meppi said:
A bit distracting at first when you think you might be holding the system at an angle or something, or that you have the slider at a bad position for your eyes.
But once you realize there's not much you can do about it it's very easy to just ignore.

Wow, so it really has some problems with the 3D... but it's not really annoying, one you know it's not only you :D

meppi

JonStark said:
Wow, so it really has some problems with the 3D... but it's not really annoying, one you know it's not only you :D
Yeah, the biggest problem I had with it was when I first noticed it and was obsessed with finding out if it was my eyes or not.

Once you know it's a game related thing, it's nothing to worry about.

Played this, Pilot Wings, Ghost Recon, and Lego Star Wars today. Hated this, hated Pilot Wings, was merely blahhh about Star Wars but I can see where fans of the series will love it despite its incredibly stupid save system, and I need more time with GR to determine how good it really is, but so far I like it a lot. Got a headache from the 3D after about 15 minutes and just turned it off completely for all games. My hope is that no games that I want to buy will ever require 3D.

Kinspiracy said:
Played this, Pilot Wings, Ghost Recon, and Lego Star Wars today. Hated this, hated Pilot Wings, was merely blahhh about Star Wars but I can see where fans of the series will love it despite its incredibly stupid save system, and I need more time with GR to determine how good it really is, but so far I like it a lot. Got a headache from the 3D after about 15 minutes and just turned it off completely for all games. My hope is that no games that I want to buy will ever require 3D.

What did you hate about Ridge Racer?

CAVE343

Did anyone unlocked the car from the cover already?
I'm a few hours in at category 3 races event 9.

Also, I really like the game, system launch + RR is awesome

edit: progression 18%

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
RobbieNick said:
Anyway to shut that girl up in the options? She annoys the hell out of me.

No, seriously. Can someone answer this? A purchase hangs in the balance.

Gouty said:
No, seriously. Can someone answer this? A purchase hangs in the balance.

To my knolwedge, yo can't. But can you on others RR ?

IMO (and i'm not found of racing games), RR3Ds is (one of) the best launch games.

Can you turn off the opponents names and avatars so they don't appear over the cars during the race? Every video I've seen has that and it annoys the hell out of me for some reason.

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
Can you turn off the opponents names and avatars so they don't appear over the cars during the race? Every video I've seen has that and it annoys the hell out of me for some reason.
Yup. In the options.

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:

I'd like to know this as well. I like my view to be as little cluttered as possible.

Good to know you can mute the voices.

angelfly said:
RR is very sensitive about the sweet spot when the slider is all the way up. Regardless I always like playing with it all the way up.
Yep, anyone who thinks that large 3D TVs that won't require glasses will come out some time in the near future or ever needs to play this game on the 3DS to see why such a thing isn't feasible, at least when using only 2 perspectives to produce a 3D effect.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
ha! Double sold! I was watching a video on youtube and I heard the announcer say slipstream 3 times in roughly 15 seconds. There was just no way I could put up with that.

john tv

I'm at close to 50% now and it's getting fast as shit. Lovin' it. It definitely takes a while for the challenge to kick in but once it does, every race feels like a nail-biter.

thomaser

meppi said:

I haven't played RR yet, but I get the duplication of white things in Pilotwings, specifically the white balloons.

angelfly

Domstercool said:
Blasting around the track to Oribtal Rock just gives you such a buzz! :D
I would have killed for the the R4 intro song to be included. That is by far my favorite RR song to race to.

Domstercool

S1kkZ said:
how is the framerate? smooth 30 frames or does it stutter/slowdown?

For most of the time it's a solid 30 (this is 3d on) I have noticed though if you use triple nitrous it seems to pull the framerate down a bit (again on 3d) but apart from that it seems stable.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
How is the rubber band AI in this game? I haven't played a Ridge Racer game in a long, long time, so I don't remember how the series plays in that regard.

Neiteio

From another thread:

So, Ridge Racer... I'm not sure I've played RR before, but IGN's review makes it sound like a warm, inviting world to inhabit.

Can someone please describe how this game handles? As a point of reference, I don't like how vehicles handled in Motorstorm and Gran Turismo -- too heavy, hard to turn -- and I generally favor racing games where cars are very responsive, like Mario Kart and Pure.

Domstercool

Ridge Racer is SUPER arcadey. Once you get use to how to active a drift by letting go of acceleration and pressing it again to start the drift, you'll be on your way. The cars are really easy to control in drifts.

john tv

vatstep said:
How is the rubber band AI in this game? I haven't played a Ridge Racer game in a long, long time, so I don't remember how the series plays in that regard.
No rubber band AI, though sometimes it feels like opposing cars have unlimited nitrous. So basically in the tougher races, once you get ahead you often have to fight to keep your lead because the other cars are constantly using nitrous. It hasn't felt unfair to me yet tho - mostly just exhilarating (and sometimes frustrating). :)

gonna go for this game, I think.

dammit, launch day makes my standards drop completely. (not that this is a bad game, but any other day and I wouldn't give RR another thought...I'm one of those "hate driving games except Burnout" guys.)

RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDDDDDDDDGEEEEE RACER!

Well, playing through it right now, trying to get back into the RR groove I left with Ridge Racers 2.

This game has a hot soundtrack, I cannot lie :D However, the slight ghosting on the car at times had me thinking I adjusted the slider wrong :/

Top Bottom