• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RIDGE RACER 3D |OT| You've entered the slipstream! Go Go Go!

MadOdorMachine said:
This isn't really a fair comparison because the 3DS images have been doctored. The image on the bottom is a closer representation to what the game looks like minus the blurriness. The 3DS version is a significant step down to the PSP game which is over 5 years old. The textures are a lot flatter and there are a lot more jaggies than what you're seeing in the first 3DS vs PSP shot.

3ds-graphics-old-vs-new--20100930095518069.jpg

Ridge-Racer-3D-640x250.jpg
Well, you posted Pics from the Beta or something. The HUD is completely different. And it does not look even close as bad as that! The last pic has horrible compression, I don't know how you could honestly say that RR3D looks like that.
The lighting is really good in this game.

[Nintex]

:Motorbass said:
Well, you posted Pics from the Beta or something. The HUD is completely different. And it does not look even close as bad as that! The last pic has horrible compression, I don't know how you could honestly say that RR3D looks like that.
The lighting is really good in this game.
For starters the tags are different as well and have borders in the final game.

Amir0x

Banned
Based on final play, the game looks slightly better than the PSP version when it's sitting still (particularly, the lack of dithering makes it have a much more appealing look in the average), but at 30fps and with rather frequent slowdown (particular with nitrous use) so to me it's a much uglier package.

CrazyMoogle said:
I think it was PSP Ridge Racer (1 or 2, can't recall) had a special hard mode. It was...stupid, to the point of needing to use bounce nitros to gain position. I'm glad this game does not appear to repeat that mistake, based on what you're saying.

Edit: And who in the thread was saying this game had more nitro options than Ridge 7? I'm just seeing the same old stuff.

I think it must have been 2, I never got to finish that game but I definitely finished RR1 and don't remember it being too difficult.

There is still another Grand Prix to unlock so maybe that'll be sickeningly tough though!

Edit 2: Can't say this game doesn't have content, though. 7 hours in already...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
how do you handle the quick left/right/lefts? Never managed to work that out, I always end up pointing the wrong way round one of the corners so it feels less like I'm drifting and more like I'm just being pulled through the corners. Or is that just how it is?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Based on final play, the game looks slightly better than the PSP version when it's sitting still (particularly, the lack of dithering makes it have a much more appealing look in the average), but at 30fps and with rather frequent slowdown (particular with nitrous use) so to me it's a much uglier package.
I'm with you. I don't really think the 3DS game LOOKS worse (just a touch better), but the performance is so poor that it ends up feeling a lot less impressive.

mrklaw said:
how do you handle the quick left/right/lefts? Never managed to work that out, I always end up pointing the wrong way round one of the corners so it feels less like I'm drifting and more like I'm just being pulled through the corners. Or is that just how it is?
well you're always kind of 'pullled' along in ridge racer. i remember doing 720 spins on hair pin bends in ridge racer 6 turning against the curve and still making it round (i think it was an achievement actually). on quick left right lefts, you can keep one drift going the whole time if you don't turn too far into the drift. any quick succession of tight corners that tends to be what i do. keep one drift going, but turn slightly into each corner.

Effect

Really enjoying this. I had trouble maintaining the right spot for the 3D at times but when I do the game looks great I feel. Don't mind the game being very easy at first as I don't play racers all the time so it took me a while to get the controls. It allows me to mess up and still come out on top. I do wish this had online though but perhaps the next game.

Ridge Racer and Lego Star Wars III are probably my favourite 3DS launch titles. RR doesn't look great at all, worse textures than the PSP games, but better lighting. It's got so much content though. It'll probably be my go-to handheld game like RR2 PSP was.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
So, yeah, this is a lower tier ridge, but it's still frigging awesome. The 3d is kinda subtle...I expected it to be a lot deeper. But I like it. It's so fun. And the voice is awesome. GOGOGO

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
The announcer's voice is so horrible. She sounds like she's about to burst into tears at some point - I've muted her..

This is definitely my favorite 3DS game. It has so much content, that I actually sort of don't want to play it because 4 races takes a long time.

This is my first Ridge Racer. I'm thinking about picking up the PS3 one, but I feel like I'll only be disappointed without the 3D. :p

Y2Kev said:
So, yeah, this is a lower tier ridge, but it's still frigging awesome. The 3d is kinda subtle...I expected it to be a lot deeper. But I like it. It's so fun. And the voice is awesome. GOGOGO
I found the 3D anything but subtle (with the slider all the way up). Especially in certain hilly stages. Looks so amazing.

Unless if by subtle, you mean "lack of in-your-face 3D effects," and in that case, I'm thankful for the subtlety.

julls said:
The announcer's voice is so horrible. She sounds like she's about to burst into tears at some point - I've muted her..
I love the announcer. Except when she goes, "You've got owned!" For some reason, that gets me a little mad. Haha.

Amir0x

Banned
God the A.I. is so predictably boring in Ridge games. Advance Racer A.I. is always

ok you pass a racer, then that racer will catch up and re-pass you for a few seconds and get in your way generally (on rare occasion you can break away with a well timed nitrous), but then you'll re-pass him for good unless you crash.

In Advance Grand Prix... It's always get to position 4 or 5 by the end of lap 1, get to position 3 or 2 by the end of lap 2, then pass racer 1 early in the final lap and hopefully you won't look back, although the rubber banding generally keeps them close in Advance. But even in Advance I'm skipping out 10 sec + victories.

Linkup

The canyon and waterfall stages look great in 3D, the hdr isn't to bright so it's a nice touch. Now those flickering trees and buildings can jump off a cliff, what's worse is that in 3D makes the jaggies even more apparent. Everything looks more vibrant so not a bad trade off I guess.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
is streetpass duel broken, or am I missing something? I had this problem before but I've double checked on two 3DSes now.

I got two notifications from my friend, it loads something when I go into streetpass duel, but nothing shows up - the standard 3 duels are there, my friend's time is not shown anywhere, and there is no new race to challenge me.

Same with his - the times are identical (CPU times) and not our times.

OSHAN

Why would you do that? said:
This is my first Ridge Racer. I'm thinking about picking up the PS3 one, but I feel like I'll only be disappointed without the 3D. :p

You won't be. RR7 is awesome.

Lettuce

Getting ghosting image on this game with the 3D around halfway, i have Pilotwings also and that is perfect. Just with RR i have to have the 3DS tilted to the left ever so slightly to stop the slight ghosting/double image to go away. Anyone else have this?

krae_man

Amir0x said:
God the A.I. is so predictably boring in Ridge games. Advance Racer A.I. is always

ok you pass a racer, then that racer will catch up and re-pass you for a few seconds and get in your way generally (on rare occasion you can break away with a well timed nitrous), but then you'll re-pass him for good unless you crash.

In Advance Grand Prix... It's always get to position 4 or 5 by the end of lap 1, get to position 3 or 2 by the end of lap 2, then pass racer 1 early in the final lap and hopefully you won't look back, although the rubber banding generally keeps them close in Advance. But even in Advance I'm skipping out 10 sec + victories.

I'm having fun trying to prevent the cars from repassing me even though I know it's 100% impossible. I've been shot up 20 feet in the air boxing the guy in before.

[Nintex]

Lettuce said:
Getting ghosting image on this game with the 3D around halfway, i have Pilotwings also and that is perfect. Just with RR i have to have the 3DS tilted to the left ever so slightly to stop the slight ghosting/double image to go away. Anyone else have this?
I believe Namco kinda fucked up when they tried to implement some sort of fake AA by blurring one of the two 3D frames. At least that seems to be the most accepted theory about the problem.

Well, it's certainly not perfect. The graphics could be better and I wish to God Namco would make more original courses for these new games, but this is definitely my favorite of the launch titles.

I have to say though, I still have not noticed any frame rate issues. But then again the first thing I did was turn off the other car's icons, and always drive with the bumper cam. I don't know if those 2 things make a difference, but like I said, with these settings I've not encountered any dropped frames.

DidntKnowJack said:
Well, it's certainly not perfect. The graphics could be better and I wish to God Namco would make more original courses for these new games, but this is definitely my favorite of the launch titles.

I have to say though, I still have not noticed any frame rate issues. But then again the first thing I did was turn off the other car's icons, and always drive with the bumper cam. I don't know if those 2 things make a difference, but like I said, with these settings I've not encountered any dropped frames.

I only noticed framedrops when boosting and crashing with other cars on screen at the same time. So not that often, the game runs fine at 30fps.

Ninja Dom

mrklaw said:
is streetpass duel broken, or am I missing something? I had this problem before but I've double checked on two 3DSes now.

I got two notifications from my friend, it loads something when I go into streetpass duel, but nothing shows up - the standard 3 duels are there, my friend's time is not shown anywhere, and there is no new race to challenge me.

Same with his - the times are identical (CPU times) and not our times.

I think you're right with this.

I've had two Streetpass hits with this game but no actual new ghost to race against.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I've got three 3DS games. I can't play ssfiv for shit with the nub, let alone with the d-pad... It's depressing since beside arcade sticks I've played fighters with the d-pad since the early '90s. Pilotwings' sub-20 framerate in 3D mode irks me (I know, I'm crazy like that), and the game itself is nice but nothing to write home about.
THIS game is phenomenal. Satisfying, addicting, great 3D, the nub controls work wonderfully and don't ask me why but I'm even pleased with the graphics. Of course the game could've been better, especially with silky smooth 60fps, but man what a pleasent surprise. Probably affected by the rather low expectations I had from this game, but hell I'm loving it.

Linkup

Easily my best 3DS purchase though that's partly because I've never really played a Ridge Racer game before. I'm 17 hours (71%) in and races are starting to get really hard.

yakulto

Neo Member
Loving this game so far. Nostalgia trip for me.

Just wish there was a way to save between individual races as the 4 races just take too long sometimes for a bit of pick up and play.

john tv

yakulto said:
Loving this game so far. Nostalgia trip for me.

Just wish there was a way to save between individual races as the 4 races just take too long sometimes for a bit of pick up and play.
Just back out to the menu and it'll save automatically.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Linkup said:
Easily my best 3DS purchase though that's partly because I've never really played a Ridge Racer game before. I'm 17 hours (71%) in and races are starting to get really hard.

you should try ridge racers and 7. both awesome titles

- J - D -

I've only begun delving into this after having spent the bulk of my time with SSFIV3D and Pilotwings. Question: starting boost is still done when you press the accelleration at "1" on the countdown, right?

krae_man

Man the AI in this game is just broken.

Anyone else passed the lead car on the last lap only to have them be shot out of a cannon instantly jump out to a 20 car length lead that's impossible to make up by the end of the race?

Some races take me multiple tries and I barely win due to the bullshit rubberbanding and others once I pass the lead car I instantly jump out to a 10-15 second lead even if I screw up and hit the wall on the next few corners.

Edit: Wow, I just had a weird glitch. I'm on the 2nd race of the 4th expert level tournament(the bottom one of the first group of 3). The second I finished the first lap, My car slammed on the breaks stopped and I got booted to the main menu.

Double Edit: Never Mind, It's an elimination race. Another reason to hate the Bullshit rubberbanding AI.

heringer

Holy moley, this game is fun.

It's my first Ridge Racer, so I guess my impressions will be more positive than most people's, but I'm loving the gameplay. Drifting mechanics are really fun.

Game doesn't look nearly as bad as I expected. It isn't exactly a looker either, but with 3D on I'm happy with what I'm looking at.

Anyway, definitely better than I expected. 3D is really cool but I really don't see the benefit in gameplay like some people here. I don't feel I can judge corners particularly better. Of all the 3DS games I tried (Rayman 3D, SSFIV, PES11 and RR3D), none affected the gameplay in my experience. I can't wait to try Pilotwings Resort, because if that game doesn't enhance the gameplay to me, I'll finally come to the conclusion the effect is for eye candy only (not that I'm complaining, love me some eye candy).

On a side note, does anyone here play with manual transmission? Pretty tough I imagine, since the game is super fast and you have to pay attention to the drifts.

Rented the game. This has to be my favourite 3DS game so far. I was already a fan of Ridge Racer so the gameplay meets expectations already. Where it particularly shines is the implementation of 3D - using the bumper cam and putting the 3D slider up to max adds a wonderful depth to the track. You can literally see all the way down it, how the next turn will play out, and exactly how far away your opponents are.

I had thought that 30fps was going to be an issue, but it wasn't at all - gameplay is still very tight and I would rather have the 3D effects. Still, I suppose an optional 60fps mode in 2D could have been welcome.

At this early stage, there also appears to be a good amount of content because i'm only 5% in after 30-45 mins of play, and I expect the races to get harder and longer over time. It really puts Nintendo's first party efforts to shame.

Yes Boss!

Phife Dawg said:
All these positive impressions have urged me to order this. Damn Scamco, now I'm part of the problem :(.
It is pretty great...definitely fills a need in the lainch catalog. The last RR I bought was for the launch of the PSP, I'm pretty happy with it.

I'm still playing this game a lot. I don't remember the last time I powered down my 3DS.

I tried to go back to RR7 the other day and it was just a big clusterfuck. I love how the starting positions are staggered in RR3D.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The Lamonster said:
I'm still playing this game a lot. I don't remember the last time I powered down my 3DS.

I tried to go back to RR7 the other day and it was just a big clusterfuck. I love how the starting positions are staggered in RR3D.
Seriously? I went back to RR7 and could barely stand to go back to the 3DS game in comparison. :\

Yes Boss! said:
It is pretty great...definitely fills a need in the lainch catalog. The last RR I bought was for the launch of the PSP, I'm pretty happy with it.
Yeah, it's great fun, even despite 30 FPS and no online. 3D works really nice.

Tarin02543

One thing that bothers me more than the average framerate and the lack of online is the horrible menu interaction. It is rather slow and cumbersome.

PSP versions definitely are more polished and prettier in that regards

Top Bottom