• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RIDGE RACER 3D |OT| You've entered the slipstream! Go Go Go!

There is waay too much to unlock in this game. I mean that in a good way. I've never really played a Ridge Racer in depth before, though. So this is really my first Ridge Racer, and I'm having a ball.

Dacvak said:
I have this game. What the fuck is the "slipstream"?
In real life, when you drive, there's less air resistance behind your car because your car pushed the air away.

That area behind your car with less air resistance is called the slipstream. If another vehicle enters your slipstream, then they will go faster because there's less air resistance holding them back. Racers take advantage of this. (I learned this from Gran Turismo 5. lol.)

In short, drive directly behind other cars to go faster.

mrklaw said:
god I'm loving this. Still only a few GP in, but the nostalgia of playing some of the tracks is nuts. Its like having a super PSone greatest hits compilation. Just played a rage racer track - the one with the huge hill next to a waterfall and I just grinned like an idiot.

Curious as to whether you played either of the PSP games. I too am loving this game, but if it's PSone-era Ridge you are nostalgic for, the PSP games are the way to go. Especially the second one which is a love letter to Type 4.

One of my favourite tracks in RR 3D is the one from RR7 with the Buddha statues and waterfall you go in behind. I loved that one first time around in RR7.

mrklaw said:
god I'm loving this. Still only a few GP in, but the nostalgia of playing some of the tracks is nuts. Its like having a super PSone greatest hits compilation. Just played a rage racer track - the one with the huge hill next to a waterfall and I just grinned like an idiot.

And I *know* it looks way better than the PSOne version, but its giving me the same vibe as when I first played those - you know, when the PSone was actually new and therefore Ridge/Rage Racer was amazing and you couldn't imagine graphics getting any better.

fuck the haters I love it.

Great post. Will read again.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Brandon F said:
Music list? Is the song 'disco ball' included? Such a good song that was on psp.

i believe the song listings was posted and disco ball wasnt on it. hopefully it wasnt complete as that was my favorite track from the psp era ridge titles

zeioIIDX

Considering I'm not big on the racing genre and I only really play unconventional racers like F-Zero (kinda like how I'll play NFL Blitz but not Madden), I'm really enjoying this game! I think the only time I recall playing a Ridge Racer before was a demo of the 4th. Other than the jaggies that I seem to be encountering on almost every 3DS game, the graphics are pretty nice and I love the 3D effect on the tail lights :) It's definitely addicting and fun to play in short, 3-race sessions. I'm only a little bit into Grand Prix because I'm also playing a fair amount of Pilotwings Resort.

john tv

So is it me or is this version of Orbital Rock slightly diff. from the one in RR7? Hard to tell entirely but I feel like the 3DS one sounds better.

Music in this game = SO GOOD.

Kuran

Banned
mrklaw said:

And I *know* it looks way better than the PSOne version, but its giving me the same vibe as when I first played those - you know, when the PSone was actually new and therefore Ridge/Rage Racer was amazing and you couldn't imagine graphics getting any better.

Why didn't you get a PSP ? It had this experience many years ago.

Am I the only one who thinks this feels a bit uncomfortable on the 3DS with the small buttons? It just gets uncomfortable after awhile to hold down B with my thumb. Also, what's up with the sub 30fps framerate in 3D mode?

john tv

Marty Chinn said:
Am I the only one who thinks this feels a bit uncomfortable on the 3DS with the small buttons? It just gets uncomfortable after awhile to hold down B with my thumb. Also, what's up with the sub 30fps framerate in 3D mode?
One of the first things I did was switch Accel to A. Tho lately I've been wondering if R would be better (if you can even do that -- not sure).

Hasn't been uncomfortable tho, no. Not at A at least, anyway.

john tv said:
One of the first things I did was switch Accel to A. Tho lately I've been wondering if R would be better (if you can even do that -- not sure).

Hasn't been uncomfortable tho, no. Not at A at least, anyway.

I'll try a different config to see if it helps. It just feels like the button is digging into my thumb because of the size.

john tv

Marty Chinn said:
I'll try a different config to see if it helps. It just feels like the button is digging into my thumb because of the size.
Feels like the old days talking about Ridge Racer with you. :)

I'm about 55% through now and it's really getting fast. This game's actually completely revitalized my interest in RR; thinking of going back and playing more RR7 now.

BTW, anyone recall the 60fps version of Ridge Racer 1 that eventually came out on PS1? Is that available on PSN?

C-Jo

john tv said:
This game's actually completely revitalized my interest in RR; thinking of going back and playing more RR7 now.
20% unlocked and I feel the same. I completely skipped RR6 & 7, but I think I might have to pick them up now.

john tv said:
So is it me or is this version of Orbital Rock slightly diff. from the one in RR7? Hard to tell entirely but I feel like the 3DS one sounds better.

Music in this game = SO GOOD.

YES!

I sit in the AV menu and go through the tracks

I'm really glad I picked this up, it's very nostalgic for me.

D23

mrklaw said:

omg omg omg!! rage racer was my first playstation one game, and to this day i still remember how amazed i was when i play that track. the waterfall!! its good to know that its in this game! shit i might have to buy 3ds just for that lol

RobbieNick

Marty Chinn said:

I just hold x for gas and a for brake. It's odd at first cuz the buttons are in reverse, but it's much more comfortable for me.

This is my favorite game on the 3DS so far. I'm having such a blast and it has rekindled my love for the series. The 3-D is amazing.

john tv

RobbieNick said:
I just hold x for gas and a for brake. It's odd at first cuz the buttons are in reverse, but it's much more comfortable for me.

This is my favorite game on the 3DS so far. I'm having such a blast and it has rekindled my love for the series. The 3-D is amazing.
I don't believe I've ever used the brake in 15+ years of Ridge Racer. LOL

Rented this game through Gamefly. It's alright I guess. The only Ridge Racer I ever really liked was R4. This one just feels like its kinda missing something. Not sure what it is though.

john tv said:

I'm about 55% through now and it's really getting fast. This game's actually completely revitalized my interest in RR; thinking of going back and playing more RR7 now.

BTW, anyone recall the 60fps version of Ridge Racer 1 that eventually came out on PS1? Is that available on PSN?

Ya, old memories =) I just tried your suggestion and that feels a lot more comfortable now! Whew, I was starting to regret buying it.

How does the "Maximum boost" or whatever it's called? I've had it appear above the boost meter a few times but haven't figured out how it works.

Wrestlemania said:
How does the "Maximum boost" or whatever it's called? I've had it appear above the boost meter a few times but haven't figured out how it works.
The default buttons is to hit both shoulder buttons at the same time to use.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
john tv said:

Pretty sure that 60fps RR1 was just a bonus included with R4. It was very limited being a single race demo.

Brandon F said:
Pretty sure that 60fps RR1 was just a bonus included with R4. It was very limited being a single race demo.

It was just limited to Time Trial / Time Attack, so there's only one opponent on screen, it still has extended and reverse layouts, cars to unlock etc. I'm sure if they could have maintained 60fps with a grid full of cars they'd have put the rest of the game on there.

Do you guys play with the car on screen in 3rd person or in 1st person with no car on screen? I've always played RR in 1st person. Is there a way to make it so it always starts like that? It seems like I have to set it to 1st every time I start playing.

Oni Link 666 said:
Do you guys play with the car on screen in 3rd person or in 1st person with no car on screen? I've always played RR in 1st person. Is there a way to make it so it always starts like that? It seems like I have to set it to 1st every time I start playing.
I play in 3rd person. But I set the map to zoomed in everytime. I really can't understand how something so simple isn't integrated in first week of development.

mclem

plagiarize said:
since i just played through R4 for the first time to warm up for this calling this a pretty PS1 game smacks of exagerration to me. it's like twice the resolution, and is definately better looking than R4 in just about every single way.

I'd say it's roughly similar to RR5. Early PS2 era graphics, a fair while before they actually really tapped into the hardware. I'd also say that SSF4 is at *least* late PS2 era, so we're already seeing a fair range of levels of development quality.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
JustAnotherOtaku said:
Curious as to whether you played either of the PSP games. I too am loving this game, but if it's PSone-era Ridge you are nostalgic for, the PSP games are the way to go. Especially the second one which is a love letter to Type 4.

One of my favourite tracks in RR 3D is the one from RR7 with the Buddha statues and waterfall you go in behind. I loved that one first time around in RR7.

played the first one at PSP launch, and don't remember it giving me quite that nostalgia buzz. I really can't explain it, but playing the 3DS version is like that moment in ratatouille where the food critic has that flashback. something about it just feels like I'm back in 1995-ish, playing on my PSone.

I was more fond of Rage Racer than R4, but your comments do make me curious about the PSP sequel. If NGP is backwards compatible I'll pick it up.

noquarter

Wow, glad to hear all the love for this game. As soon as Parcelpool (WTF) delivers my 3DS, looks like I'll be going and getting this. Haven't really played a Ridge Racer since the PSP ones, but I really loved them.

If anyone does get RR6 and wants to race let me know, booted that up about a year ago and in trying to play online for about an hour only got one race :(

Oni Link 666 said:

In the vast majority of other racing games I use in car/bumper etc and I used that view in Ridge Racer, RR Revolution and Rage Racer. But from Type 4 on, in the Ridge Racer series I now always use 3rd person for some reason.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
S1kkZ said:
someone here mentioned that the framerate is sub 30. is that true?
i thought its rock solid 30fps?

seems mostly rock solid 30, but I think I had a couple of brief moments of slowdown when passing multiple cars with nitro on.

S1kkZ

mrklaw said:
seems mostly rock solid 30, but I think I had a couple of brief moments of slowdown when passing multiple cars with nitro on.
so no constant issues, just drops when a lot of shit is going on?

I haven't actually played a RR game since the original PS1 version. That was so long ago, I don't remember; how does the game handle? Do the cars handle somewhat realistically, or are they simple to control, like OutRun?

Ben2749 said:
I haven't actually played a RR game since the original PS1 version. That was so long ago, I don't remember; how does the game handle? Do the cars handle somewhat realistically, or are they simple to control, like OutRun?

If by realistic you mean like Forza and GT, then no. A lot of people say RR is "squirrely". That's because when you let go of gas and press it again, you're going to start fishtailing. That's drifting. It's the main gameplay mechanic of the game.

Oni Link 666 said:
If by realistic you mean like Forza and GT, then no. A lot of people say RR is "squirrely". That's because when you let go of gas and press it again, you're going to start fishtailing. That's drifting. It's the main gameplay mechanic of the game.

Is it friendly to beginners? I'm not all that big on racing games, but I'm curious about this, considering there's so little of interest out on the 3DS right now.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
zeioIIDX said:
Considering I'm not big on the racing genre and I only really play unconventional racers like F-Zero (kinda like how I'll play NFL Blitz but not Madden), I'm really enjoying this game! I think the only time I recall playing a Ridge Racer before was a demo of the 4th. Other than the jaggies that I seem to be encountering on almost every 3DS game, the graphics are pretty nice and I love the 3D effect on the tail lights :) It's definitely addicting and fun to play in short, 3-race sessions. I'm only a little bit into Grand Prix because I'm also playing a fair amount of Pilotwings Resort.
Interesting about the jaggies. This is the only game I have so far. What's the concensus on the best titles so far? I've got a free game from Amazon and can't decide what to get. I'm thinking Rayman might be a good game to take advantage of the 3D.

[Nintex]

This game is so good that I haven't tried my other 3 3DS games yet. I unlocked Class 3 yesterday and the boost in speed was incredible. How many tracks are there? I've already got a couple of favorites and some of these are like rollercoasters.

I recall some questions about the announcer and there's volume control for the voices in the menu if you want to turn her off. I like it though, gives this crazy arcade feeling, along with the cool music.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
mclem said:
I'd say it's roughly similar to RR5. Early PS2 era graphics, a fair while before they actually really tapped into the hardware. I'd also say that SSF4 is at *least* late PS2 era, so we're already seeing a fair range of levels of development quality.
I really don't think so. The geometry is MUCH lower than Ridge Racer V and, of course, the framerate is halved.

I was kind of hoping for visuals of that level here.

Ben2749 said:
Is it friendly to beginners? I'm not all that big on racing games, but I'm curious about this, considering there's so little of interest out on the 3DS right now.
I'd say the first 1/3 of the game is very easy! And that would be 5-7 hours of gameplay (was for me). Now I am at the beginning of advanced GP and it's starting to get rougher and faster.

mclem

dark10x said:
I really don't think so. The geometry is MUCH lower than Ridge Racer V and, of course, the framerate is halved.

I was kind of hoping for visuals of that level here.

I think I need to see a side-by-side, it's quite possible my memory's playing up.

Jonnyram

mrklaw said:
Basically, the game tries to pace the AI cars so that there are only 4 in a group. This is very apparent at later levels. This is done to keep the frame rate stable, because more than 4 cars causes things to get a bit messy. The PSP games were the same.

Suzzopher

Absolutely loving this now. Took me a while to really get into it, but as a huge fan of the series I have to say this is awesome. The 3D looks great too.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Ben2749 said:

yes, piss easy. Starts off gentle, or you can practice on single races or time trial.

Basically the initial car will stick to the road if you just steer. For gentle curves thats fine. For sharp curves (often notified by chevrons, but you'll learn which need it), you drift.

Just let go of the accelerator/gas for a moment, start steering into the corner, then press the accelerator again. Your back end will slide out and you'll start pointing towards the inside of the corner. Don't steer too much, it only takes a small input to get drifting. If you let go of the steering it'll naturally and slowly return to centre, and you'll continue on your way. if you countersteer too much you'll end up going the other way, so a gentle touch is required.

felt original RR to me. But others have played the PSP version more can comment on that. It does have nitros (which i'm not a fan of, would prefer to keep it simple)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
mclem said:
I think I need to see a side-by-side, it's quite possible my memory's playing up.
Check it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD4NV0hfZhs

The intro there is all realtime at 60 fps as well, which was very impressive back in 2000.

Unfortunately, there really aren't many good video or screenshot captures of the game as it used field rendering and the capturing equipment of the day did a poor job with it. It was a jaggy game, but the screens made it look much more so than it really was. You need a good CRT to appreciate it, unfortunately.

Aside from image quality, though, the actual detail level was much higher than RR3D and Ridge Racers on PSP.

Top Bottom