• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 3 |OT|

Drakken

Rewrite said:

Sick. Between this and the keyboard, I'm really thinking about getting this now.

Motion Picture Soundtrack said:
Well I'm setting it up like the Battles drummer

IjGAT.jpg

uhhhhhh

Big Papa Husker said:
Does anyone know if there are any deals on the Game/Keyboard bundle? Just scanning Sunday's ads, all deals seem to be for the game only.

I think Best Buy has a gift card offer if you buy the game and keyboard but I can't remember how much it was for. Saw it on cheapassgamer.

elektrixx said:
Get the Rock Band 3 set. Get what you want clean and fresh without extra things you don't need/want.

what is so good about the rockband 3 drum kit? i read a review on amazon that said it's basically the rockband 2 kit with cymbals

Aspiring

So i just read that all previous DLC has Pro Drums. That is so amazing. Does anybody know if this really is ALL DLC? Also is it RB2 tracks as well? Also is it RBN tracks?

Pancho

Qurupancho
I'd love to see how Roundbout's Keys chart looks on pro mode.

Just saw it on expert...damn it's my definite goal for the keys >=O

Ridley327

Pancho said:

This will be your reaction to it on Pro expert keys:

italian-spiderman-animated.gif

Pancho

Qurupancho
Ridley327 said:
This will be your reaction to it on Pro expert keys:

italian-spiderman-animated.gif
:lol
Pretty much

Man that gif never gets old.

Edit: Ok, so I'm trying to play some online band quickplay with my buddy in RB2 but the game won't let us! It doesn't even let us pick a character in Online Quickplay!

Is this HMX's way of saying they won't support RB2 anymore? :lol

I just wanted to have one last session before next week to send RB2 out with a bang.

Pancho said:

I went to training mode and put on expert pro keys on "Roundabout" just for a goof. Yeah...fuck that song. Fuck that song on keys, and fuck that song on bass. Fuck it in all the right places. I love the song to death, and play it nearly every chance I can in the game, but the bass and keys are just obscene.

I love it. I got what I wanted from that song. Eight minutes of pure terror.:D

Right now the most played song is "Just Like Heaven." It may not be terribly difficult for any instrument, but it is just a damn good song that it appears each rotation pretty much.

LaneDS

Damn, I'm still using the Rock Band 1 instruments (and one GH:WT guitar), that Beatles set for $85 is pretty tempting. Most interested in picking up a keyboard with RB3 though, so I'm not sure if I should take the plunge or not. The RB1 drums are pretty terrible and it sounds like someone is at a workbench trying to build toys when they play on them.

I just dont like how unstable the Beatles ones are. I dont have them insanely high, but I dont keep them low either, and they are still wobbly. The cymbals dont help that, but it is annoying that they arent terribly secure or stable on their platform. If I could somehow get comfortable with them on the coffee table that would be nice, and probably dampen the impact on the floor so I dont piss off the people downstairs. The issue then is keeping the foot pedals somewhere easy to use.

LaneDS

PhoncipleBone said:
I just dont like how unstable the Beatles ones are. I dont have them insanely high, but I dont keep them low either, and they are still wobbly. The cymbals dont help that, but it is annoying that they arent terribly secure or stable on their platform. If I could somehow get comfortable with them on the coffee table that would be nice, and probably dampen the impact on the floor so I dont piss off the people downstairs. The issue then is keeping the foot pedals somewhere easy to use.

I assume stability aside they're still light years better than the RB1 stuff though?

LaneDS said:
I assume stability aside they're still light years better than the RB1 stuff though?
I didnt have issues with the RB1 stuff. I had my RB1 kit until a week ago when I sold it to a friend that was going to get into the game finally. I bought the silencers for the RB1 kit and it was fine. The kit was more stable than the Beatles one, although the sensitivity on the Beatles one is better.

The improvement I liked with the Beatles kit though (and most likely the RB2 kit) is the set of two bars between the feet of the kit are shaped so that the kick pedal stays in place and does not swing when you lift the kit to move it.

I just want the legs on the Beatles drum kit to not be wobbly, and possibly find a way to dampen all the impact on the floor from playing drums. I am so scared to play most of the time because I know the floors here are creaky and lord knows what it sounds like downstairs.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Aspiring said:
So i just read that all previous DLC has Pro Drums. That is so amazing. Does anybody know if this really is ALL DLC? Also is it RB2 tracks as well? Also is it RBN tracks?

I think I saw a developer diary type thing where they said they'd charted cymbals on all songs from RB2 onwards.

RBN songs have pro drums but EVERY hit is charted with cymbals except the snare. so it's not true pro drums. everything else does have pro drums.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Nice videos, BBG. The songs not showing up is disappointing. 666 is a really fun guitar song. Rock Your Socks is the missing Tenacious D song, not a big loss imo but it still sucks that it's not there. I hope HMX puts out a full list of the songs that didn't make it and maybe gives some reasons why, even if it is just "licensing didn't work out" or whatever.

Ridley327

NameGenerated said:
Nice videos, BBG. The songs not showing up is disappointing. 666 is a really fun guitar song. Rock Your Socks is the missing Tenacious D song, not a big loss imo but it still sucks that it's not there. I hope HMX puts out a full list of the songs that didn't make it and maybe gives some reasons why, even if it is just "licensing didn't work out" or whatever.
There's a batch of DLC (that included the Anvil tracks and Rock Your Socks) that have a metatag set to zero in their files, which is causing them to not show up in RB3. I'm sure those will be fixed soon. Black Hole Sun and Dani California remain mysteries, though.

Pancho

Qurupancho
BigBlackGamer said:
Uploaded 2 new videos on the website. enjoy.

Thanks for the uploads, just watched them.

It sucks about the Breakneck Speed though, hope they fix it. ' Cause that's usually the thing me and my friends argue about in Rock Band parties, whether to activate it or not.

I know I bitched about the setlist as much as anyone, but I have to give HMX credit. They (for the most part) really know how to pick a balanced setlist. There were some bands and songs I'd never heard of, and while the 00s stuff is still ass, there are some songs I wasn't as familiar with that are great. Echo and the Bunnymen song is great, Faith no More is great considering hardly anybody knows anything from them aside from Epic.

Also the sound mixing is sooo goood. There are a couple of times when I went from a RB3 song to a RBN song and the mixing quality just sticks out even more. So many of the songs just sound so lush. (This better not get copy pasted, Archie).

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
BigBlackGamer said:
RBN songs have pro drums but EVERY hit is charted with cymbals except the snare. so it's not true pro drums. everything else does have pro drums.

Depends how old the song is. We got instructions on authoring pro drums around mid-June. It's been optional (and untestable), but I've done every song since then with them and I know most major-group songs have them from then on as well.

NameGenerated said:
By 666 do you mean "Number of the Beast?" I thought that showed up in my list. "Rock Your Socks" didn't show up now that you mentioned it. "The Metal" and "Tribute" did though. I do hope Ridley is right and they fix these little issues soon.

Oh, and to those wanting to delete Lego stuff, there are challenges in the game for playing all the LEGO songs, and for doing an endless LEGO setlist of all 45 songs. I am not sure if it takes the track count down if you deleted anything, or if it simply wont let you complete the challenge if you deleted stuff.

Ridley327

PhoncipleBone said:
By 666 do you mean "Number of the Beast?" I thought that showed up in my list. "Rock Your Socks" didn't show up now that you mentioned it. "The Metal" and "Tribute" did though. I do hope Ridley is right and they fix these little issues soon.

Oh, and to those wanting to delete Lego stuff, there are challenges in the game for playing all the LEGO songs, and for doing an endless LEGO setlist of all 45 songs. I am not sure if it takes the track count down if you deleted anything, or if it simply wont let you complete the challenge if you deleted stuff.
He meant 666 by Anvil. It, along with the other two tracks by the band, do not show up in the game due to the bug I mentioned.

Also, the LEGO RB challenges are evil just because they brought back the notorious "get 100% on the solo in The Final Countdown on Expert" achievement.

Ridley327 said:
He meant 666 by Anvil. It, along with the other two tracks by the band, do not show up in the game due to the bug I mentioned.

Also, the LEGO RB challenges are evil just because they brought back the notorious "get 100% on the solo in The Final Countdown on Expert" achievement.
I didn't see the "Final Countdown" achievement in the game(RB3 that is), nor under the challenges. I am wanting to play "Final Countdown" on the keys though, since they already mapped the synth part to the guitar.:D

Speaking of challenges: I love that you can go directly to the challenges from the list of them. Looking at the challenge of "Play and beat 20 DLC songs" and clicking it takes me to a page of nothing but my DLC to pick from. Same with all the other specific challenges. Very nice touch.

I am about halfway to the 12 million career score already, and about 6000 HOPO through the 53000 or so HOPO challenge.

The pro drum trainer challenges I will not be getting though. I can play a ton of stuff and five star it on pro drums on hard, and even gold star quite a bit on expert regular drums, but the trainer mode just makes my brain hurt on a few beats.

The challenge and achievement I really want to do is the "Is This Just Fantasy" achievement. Get 100% triple awesome harmonies on "Bohemian Rhapsody" on medium or higher. At least they gave us a break and pulled it down to medium.

So I waited too long and now amazon is completely sold out of the keyboard bundle for 360. If I go with the Dell version, it could take over a week to arrive. I may just do the game only for now and wait on the keys.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Hey, so, can your RB2 bands be imported by any chance? I'm guessing not because the character creation is probably way different, but...
Nope. I was trying to replicate my band, or at least my main girl Lola. The character creation is different, but you can get stuff pretty close. So far I have created two people, but am trying to unlock two specific accessories so I can finally finish making Lord Humungous for my band. :)

I am also kind of sad, yet happy, that scores dont import over. Having to go back and redo a lot of stuff is daunting, but it is actually easier to get higher scores on Rock Band 3. They tweaked the overdrive stuff so that sometimes when you hit all the notes it gives you half a bar instead of the normal quarter bar. So more OD for songs=higher scores.

PhoncipleBone said:
Nope. I was trying to replicate my band, or at least my main girl Lola. The character creation is different, but you can get stuff pretty close. So far I have created two people, but am trying to unlock two specific accessories so I can finally finish making Lord Humungous for my band. :)

I am also kind of sad, yet happy, that scores dont import over. Having to go back and redo a lot of stuff is daunting, but it is actually easier to get higher scores on Rock Band 3. They tweaked the overdrive stuff so that sometimes when you hit all the notes it gives you half a bar instead of the normal quarter bar. So more OD for songs=higher scores.

Oooooh! That sounds great (the overdrive, I mean). It actually would be nice to start from scratch and have a clean slate from which to build my Five Star Empire.

Getting that Rock Band itch again....

Oh boy.

ratcliffja said:
So I waited too long and now amazon is completely sold out of the keyboard bundle for 360. If I go with the Dell version, it could take over a week to arrive. I may just do the game only for now and wait on the keys.
I would get the game any way you can next week so that you can get the free Doors stuff. It is only free that first week.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Oooooh! That sounds great (the overdrive, I mean). It actually would be nice to start from scratch and have a clean slate from which to build my Five Star Empire.

Getting that Rock Band itch again....

Oh boy.
The clean slate is nice. I am going back and replaying stuff I hadn't in a while just to see the gold or five stars on the screen. I also like the info screen for each song not only tells you the score and stars, but the percentage of notes hit in the song. Nice to see what I hit 100% on.:D

But with the OD stuff it is easier to hit gold stars on things. I think I was at gold on "More Than a Feeling" when there was a LOT of the song left to go.

Ridley327

PhoncipleBone said:
I didn't see the "Final Countdown" achievement in the game(RB3 that is), nor under the challenges. I am wanting to play "Final Countdown" on the keys though, since they already mapped the synth part to the guitar.:D

Speaking of challenges: I love that you can go directly to the challenges from the list of them. Looking at the challenge of "Play and beat 20 DLC songs" and clicking it takes me to a page of nothing but my DLC to pick from. Same with all the other specific challenges. Very nice touch.
The Final Countdown challenge is under the guitar goals for LRB.

One of the really, really awesome things about challenges is that they do some neat progress tracking on the single-song tasks. For example, one of the DLC vocal challenges is to get 95% on the vocals for More Than a Feeling. Instead of showing your score, they have a box that updates in real time on your percentage throughout the song. It's really, really nifty.

Ridley327 said:
The Final Countdown challenge is under the guitar goals for LRB.

One of the really, really awesome things about challenges is that they do some neat progress tracking on the single-song tasks. For example, one of the DLC vocal challenges is to get 95% on the vocals for More Than a Feeling. Instead of showing your score, they have a box that updates in real time on your percentage throughout the song. It's really, really nifty.
Yeah, I like that. And the progress bar on the challenge screen is nice as well, knowing how close you are to big goals.

FrenchMovieTheme said:
can anyone answer what the difference between the beatles premium special edition drum set and the rockband 3 drumset is?
The color really. The paint finish and the pedal are aesthetically different, but that should be it. I think the RB2 and 3 drums are a little quieter though, but the rest should be the same.

That and the cymbals come in the box with the RB3 ones.

alright i think ill just get the beatles pack for $117 at amazon rather than paying $130 for the rockband 3 drums alone.

at least with the beatles pack ill get another mic and i cna finally get rid of my awful 2nd guitar which is from guitar hero 2 :lol

FrenchMovieTheme said:
alright i think ill just get the beatles pack for $117 at amazon rather than paying $130 for the rockband 3 drums alone.

at least with the beatles pack ill get another mic and i cna finally get rid of my awful 2nd guitar which is from guitar hero 2 :lol
And a mic stand too! And the McCartney bass is boss. I prefer the length of the Fender controllers, but I like how smooth and quiet the fret buttons are on the McCartney.

And nice to know the Beatles drums have better rebound. They dont seem much quieter than the RB1 drums though. I never got the RB2 ones.

DukeSucks

do the quickplay screens show your friends high scores like Beatles does? May not be able to answer this until more people get the game though. I really like that feature.

Ridley327

DukeSucks said:
do the quickplay screens show your friends high scores like Beatles does? May not be able to answer this until more people get the game though. I really like that feature.
It does, but it does it a little differently; it flashes over the song details instead of having its own little spot on the screen. It works even better than TB:RB since it seems to update instantly.

PhoncipleBone said:
Yeah, I like that. And the progress bar on the challenge screen is nice as well, knowing how close you are to big goals.

Glad to see that carried over from Beatles Rock Band, as it was one of my favorite aspects of it.

Ridli

I know that you guys have been saying pro-drums has been charted in previous DLC already but has HMX gone back and charted any previous RB1/2/DLC tracks to include keys/prokeys?

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
PhoncipleBone said:
And a mic stand too! And the McCartney bass is boss. I prefer the length of the Fender controllers, but I like how smooth and quiet the fret buttons are on the McCartney.

And nice to know the Beatles drums have better rebound. They dont seem much quieter than the RB1 drums though. I never got the RB2 ones.

I don't like the sharp corners of the bass, my arms tend to dig into them.

But yea, the Beatles drums are great. I love that, on that kit especially, the red and green pads are louder to hit than yellow and blue. Those usually match up to the loudest parts of the kit, so it feels even more connected to the song.

Ridli said:
I know that you guys have been saying pro-drums has been charted in previous DLC already but has HMX gone back and charted any previous RB1/2/DLC tracks to include keys/prokeys?

No, that would require re-mixing as well.

Top Bottom