• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 3 |OT|

ahvostik

I can't believe Rock Band even has an official thread again.

So sick.

I just bought one of these in anticipation for the game:
TD4S_01.jpg

o m g epic

cjdunn

Got my keyboard for PS3 today (free Saturday Fedex delivery, <3 Amazon).

Funnily enough, there's an empty cardboard sleeve in which the game case would have been. :/

Chris R

Viacom decided to get serious and deleted a shitload of youtube videos :( This made dude running the channel I used to determine if a song I was iffy on was worth a DLC purchase or not decide to not buy 95% of the DLC anymore :(

Why fuck with freeeeeee advertising???!?

Ordered the piano bundle from amazon with 2 day shipping, not expected to get here until friday wtf. Why cant amazon put release day on this, or at least make it actual 2 day shipping, not 3.

Proc

I'm all over this game. I preordered the pro guitar but I decided to upgrade my real gitbox to a les Paul studio instead.

I do have a midi USB keyboard. I hope those adapters are readily available.

Pancho said:
That's what I wanted to know.

Cause I know that the peripheral is, more or less, half a full keyboard I was just wondering if it was the right side or left side
If playing pro it doesnt matter. If playing on regular modes, you can play either way, as there are two sets of keys to function as your buttons in the game.

Played a bit of pro mode drums this afternoon: I am now finding it impossible to go back to regular drums. It is just so much more satisfying having to hit cymbals and go back and forth between them and the pads. It opens up a brand new challenge to play and keep track of, but makes it so much more fun. The only thing is I am trying to find a configuration on the cymbal height to help me hit things more accurately. I change nearly every song and it never seems to click for me. I am also now starting to play with the drums at an angle instead of facing the screen, so I can actually see the screen.

I also dont like how clicky the buttons are on the Fender controller. I got so used to the smooth, mushy, silent operation on the McCartney controller, but the length of the Fender is easier on the arms. But sometimes it takes actually pressing DOWN on the button to hit it, where on the McCartney you could just glide along the buttons.

And to those few that have the game early: are you getting a lot of lock ups on the game? I have had about ten freeze ups on the game today. Usually when going to the customize character menu, but sometimes when starting a challenge as well.

And messing with the character customization, tonight some "premium tshirts" showed up that didn't seem to be there before. Perhaps they were but I never noticed, but they are there now. They cost Live Points to get (in other words: no thanks), but are cool. Band specific tshirts. My favorite being a Spinal Tape "Shark Sandwich" tshirt.

And I finally have my band finalized: "Olivia and the Observers." Olivia Dunham and three different Observers playing along with her. Perhaps when I get more time I will make an entire Fringe division band.

Pancho

Qurupancho
PhoncipleBone said:
And to those few that have the game early: are you getting a lot of lock ups on the game? I have had about ten freeze ups on the game today. Usually when going to the customize character menu, but sometimes when starting a challenge as well.

Yeah I've read it's a common issue as of late. Hopefully HMX will have a patch ready on release date.

robut said:

I like your band recommendations, but not necessarily those songs at first. I want those songs, but there are others I would love first.

We already got some DLC of The Band last year (Chest Fever), but I really want "Look Out Cleveland."

Joy Division is probably on the way since we are getting New Order this week as part of the Gamestop DLC (Blue Monday). For Joy Division I would love to get "Transmission," "Shadowplay" or "New Dawn Fades." For New Order "Age of Consent," "Bizarre Love Triangle," "Ceremony," and "Temptation."

As for Prince: give me the entirety of "Purple Rain" and call it a day. I will be fine.

TheExodu5

Banned
ahvostik said:
I can't believe Rock Band even has an official thread again.

So sick.

I just bought one of these in anticipation for the game:
TD4S_01.jpg

o m g epic

Awesome.

I bought this kit 2 years ago, which I'll be using:

TD-9KX.jpg

Sadly, I don't see the midi adapter listed anywhere in Canada. I was ready to take the day off for it. :(

Maddog said:
Holy cow that song / video / band is awesome. Thanks for introducing me!

Watch these then:

Police Bells and Church Sirens (gets insane 3 minutes in)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T30yq9slQDw

Blå & Black
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ0YFo0SWhk

Jesus Jesus (with the best live band in the world - Kaizers Orchestra)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_sr4OByFFQ

(they change up between english and danish mid sentence at times, so some stuff might not be understandable be everyone)

Oli

Did anyone ever get the number of songs on the disk that support keys? I ordered my Keyboard bundle from Dell, but now I'm curious how many songs utilize it.

Pancho

Qurupancho
Oli said:
Did anyone ever get the number of songs on the disk that support keys? I ordered my Keyboard bundle from Dell, but now I'm curious how many songs utilize it.
64 songs out of 84 if I recall.

Edit: You can also play guitar or bass parts with the keys if you want.

Oli

Pancho said:
64 songs out of 84 if I recall.

Edit: You can also play guitar or bass parts with the keys if you want.

That's a good chunky number, thanks!

Can't wait to play Pro Keys. I only have a guitar otherwise, no room for Drums in my small space. So I really wanted something new to play on. I may eventually invest in a pro guitar, since I actually own a guitar and have tried to learn to play it. I've only been half successful, and I'd like to get better at it.

I'm thinking of starting drums (guitar player) and want to know what the most economic solution would be. On ebay, there's an auction for the RB2 drums and I can buy pad silencers and a full metal pedal all for under $60. That would be a lot cheaper than Amazon, right?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140468395949&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270351617414&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120636913239&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I bought the pro cymbals kit today at Gamestop. It was the first time I've bought anything there in years, and man, I feel bad for the people that work there and are forced to push all that stupid shit on customers. I think I had to say "no thanks" like four times. I looked at two Best Buys first, since I've heard that people have seen the new peripherals there, but they had literally no RB stuff. They'll probably put the new stuff out on Tuesday, but I guess that means all of the old instruments have been pulled from their shelves.

Pancho

Qurupancho
Oli said:
That's a good chunky number, thanks!

Can't wait to play Pro Keys. I only have a guitar otherwise, no room for Drums in my small space. So I really wanted something new to play on. I may eventually invest in a pro guitar, since I actually own a guitar and have tried to learn to play it. I've only been half successful, and I'd like to get better at it.

Same here with the pro keys! I'm gonna dive head first into that :D

So if I can find it for cheap, it's a solid replacement for my RB1 instruments at this point :lol , and would allow me to try out Pro Drums?

AlphaTwo00 said:
So if I can find it for cheap, it's a solid replacement for my RB1 instruments at this point :lol , and would allow me to try out Pro Drums?

You're gonna need the cymbals add-on to play Pro in RB3 (or get the RB3 drumset that comes with the cymbals)

dankir said:
Is there like a super bundle, that has premium guitar, premium drums, keyboard, mic and Rock Band 3?

Nope

About deleting songs, is there a way to just sort of hide them without deleting? Like If I delete a RB1 song ( I no longer have the disk ) I lose it forever correct?

bounchfx

corkscrewblow said:
White Walls

DONT YOU DARE FUCKING TEASE ME LIKE THAT.

on another note, I just got done buying and installing my pro cymbals. pretty epic, though it does raise the noise level a notch... but that's OK since I'm in a house now. Tomorrow night = no sleep.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
corkscrewblow said:
White Walls

Funny thing is there's a White Walls in RBN peer review right now.

by Blow Up Hollywood.

It's not very fun to play.

ahvostik

The Take Out Bandit said:
What the hell is that and how much did it set you back?! :O

it's a Roland TD-4S midi drum kit. I've played drums casually for years and have been wanting a kit I could use at night time without disturbing neighbors. My "band room" is upstairs and my next door neighbor's master bedroom is just across the way. He's complained to me before that he can hear the bass drum through his walls when he's trying to sleep.

Plus I hate putting out all this noise when I just want to practice on my own without making other people here my semi-crappy playing.

So... I didn't buy the kit JUST for Rock Band but... Rock Band 3 pro mode drums is definitely a big part of me wanting a full kit.

I wish the midi adapter was available earlier but oh well.

fisheyes

jhferry said:
About deleting songs, is there a way to just sort of hide them without deleting? Like If I delete a RB1 song ( I no longer have the disk ) I lose it forever correct?

I don't have the game, so I don't know, but I saw somebody here mention that if you rate a song as 1, it won't ever pop up in random setlists. So at the very least you can do that.

Also, wouldn't you be able to redownload the full set of songs through download history or something?

Don't trust me though, I really don't know for sure.

Shaneus

Looked, couldn't find... anyone know what the framerate is going to end up being? The one thing that GH has over RB is that the note highway runs at 60fps while RBs seems to run at 30 (though I've heard it's actually 24?).

Ridley327

The highway in Rock Band has always ran at 60 fps; the backgrounds update at a lower framerate due to the lighting they employ. They do update at 30 fps in RB3 as opposed to the 24fps max from RB1 and RB2, though.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
The singer animations are fucking awful. What a disappointment considering the animation was just fine in Rock Band 1/2. Now they just look bored and robotic.

Shaneus

Ridley327 said:
The highway in Rock Band has always ran at 60 fps; the backgrounds update at a lower framerate due to the lighting they employ. They do update at 30 fps in RB3 as opposed to the 24fps max from RB1 and RB2, though.
Ah, must just be my mind playing tricks then... thanks!

Ridley327

GH does the same thing nowadays because of the heavy (and do I mean heavy) usage of motion blur. I think the last game in either series that was 60 fps on both the highway and the background was GH: Van Halen, but that everything to do with it running on the GH:WT engine.

I'm looking forward to keyboard impressions. Canada is getting knobbed with the separate keyboards (my eb games won't even tell me when they are getting them) and I want to know if it's worth importing or waiting.

Also, looking for impressions of Bohemian Rhapsody on pro keyboards.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Rewrite said:
The singer animations are fucking awful. What a disappointment considering the animation was just fine in Rock Band 1/2. Now they just look bored and robotic.
It's really not a big deal, but I don't get why they still can't render guitar straps.

Cutwolf

You can pick up a pair of Refurb'd Rock Band 2 drums w/ warranty for like $50 shipped on ebay from reputable sellers. Route I'm going.

Anyone know how Best Buy typically is with preorders? If I ordered today and did their overnight shipping, should it get here 10/26 or 10/27?

In Boston.

This is going to sound stupid, but I just realized there is a separate "Rock Band Store" you can download and launch from the Xbox Dashboard. Very handy way to navigate and find stuff without launching an actual Rock Band game. Lets you find stuff for every Rock Band game put out.

How long has this been there?

Top Bottom