• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 3 |OT|

FerranMG said:
Guys, I need a bit of help RE: guitars.

I have the Rock Band 1 Fender, which I hated because I don't like the feel of the buttons, and the strum bar doesn't click at all.

I have the GHWT guitar, which I love.

Are people that play RB with GH guitars happy about how they work?

If I was to buy a new guitar, do the new RB guitars (ie, Beattles or whatever) feel better than the original RB1 Fender?

Thanks! :)

Yes the Rockband 2 guitar was a huge improvement over the original. It even has a tiny light camera and mic inside of it that allows for perfect audio/video syncing.

UltimaPooh said:
Yes the Rockband 2 guitar was a huge improvement over the original. It even has a tiny light camera and mic inside of it that allows for perfect audio/video syncing.
Wait... what's this about syncing? That sounds really useful.

/gets credit card ready

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
FerranMG said:
Guys, I need a bit of help RE: guitars.

I have the Rock Band 1 Fender, which I hated because I don't like the feel of the buttons, and the strum bar doesn't click at all.

I have the GHWT guitar, which I love.

If I was to buy a new guitar, do the new RB guitars (ie, Beattles or whatever) feel better than the original RB1 Fender?

I play Rock Band games only using the GHWT guitar and it works flawlessly. I have a RB2 Fender but prefer the button placement and strum bar on the GHWT instead.

Psychotext said:
Wait... what's this about syncing? That sounds really useful.
/gets credit card ready
The RB2 Fender, Beatles guitar and RB3 guitars all have an integrated mic and light sensor which is used for automatic audio and video sync. Works brilliantly.

navanman said:
The RB2 Fender, Beatles guitar and RB3 guitars all have an integrated mic and light sensor which is used for automatic audio and video sync. Works brilliantly.

Yup... it's wonderful and worth it for the price alone. The buttons have also been improved as well as the strum bar. It feels together.

FerranMG

UltimaPooh said:

Thanks for the input.

@navanman as well. :)

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
man I've gone into stupid hype mode where I've convinced myself I NEED the rockband 3 and a REAL guitar!

I hope its not gonna be too expensive and it might actually teach me how to play guitar.

I have tried to learn in the past but I kept ringing strings and it got to the stage where I gave up and said my hands are too small for guitar and I will never be able to strum individual strings properly.

to make it even worse I'm now contemplating buying the game now with pro keyboard since Real Guitar isnt out for ages.

God I'm so stupid. but the heart has spoken. I have a few months to fall in love with something else.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
vatstep said:
It's really not a big deal, but I don't get why they still can't render guitar straps.
Sorry I'm late in replying back, but it's a big deal to me. You see the singer like 70% of the time while the song is playing and now it's just boring to look at the singer. The animation is just completely lifeless now just like the crowd on the Rock Band 3 setlist. :\

FerranMG said:

For your first question, yes. I wouldn't play Rock Band without a Guitar Hero guitar. The Rock Band 1 and 2 guitars are awful to me. The RB 2 guitar is a big improvement over the pile of crap that was the first guitar, but I still prefer GH guitars. I've always found the strum bar to be shitty on the Rock Band guitars in general and the frets are loud as fuck. I play with a World Tour guitar and it works like a charm. I still haven't had a problem with it yet.

Strum bar that clicks > silent mushy strum bar

If you're going to play guitar, consider the World Tour guitar OR the Guitar Hero 5 guitar. Both are equally awesome.

kaizoku said:
God I'm so stupid. but the heart has spoken. I have a few months to fall in love with something else.
I don't think you're stupid. After all, you're going to buy game of the forever. ;)

BTW, has Harmonix revealed the export details to Rock Band 2? Seriously, what the fuck.

navanman said:
Well shit... that sounds great. I reckon I'll grab myself one.

Thanks. :D

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I must be the only one who likes the silent strum bar. Point will be moot though if the Mustangs ever become available. Strings > strum bar!

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Question about pause rewind feature:

If you fuck up...couldn't you just like pause and rewind until you get the part correct? Or does it still count it as missed and reset the multiplier even if you hit it the second time around?

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
NameGenerated said:

If you fuck up...couldn't you just like pause and rewind until you get the part correct? Or does it still count it as missed and reset the multiplier even if you hit it the second time around?
That's a really good question! I haven't tried that rewind feature yet! I'll try it tomorrow..it's 4 AM...why am I still awake...

FerranMG said:
So, RB guitars still have a silent strum bar?

Sucks if so. :(

RB2 guitar doesn't click but it's not mushy either. I actually prefer it's strum over the loud and annoying Guitar Hero strum... I'm playing a Rhythm game not a metronome simulator.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
PhoncipleBone said:
Thought the mustang was not until November?

Also, just finished all of the Road Challenges. Damn, my arm is tired. I do like that eventually you unlock the ability to play keys using the guitar controller. That should be fun.

My Amazon order still says my Mustang ships Wednesday.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
NameGenerated said:
Why is the rockband.com password requirement so stringent now? At least 8 characters with 2 capitalized letters, 2 lower-case letters, 1 number, and 1 non-alphanumeric character. It's ridiculous.

It's probably connected to RBN using the same user database as the official site. XNA has some pretty strict password requirements 'cause of all the business going on.

Apoc29

NameGenerated said:

I haven't seen this, but my guess is that when you rewind it "grays out" the notes so you can "play" along with it, but nothing would register until you reach the part at which you paused.

JMizzlin

:O So GD: RB can only be exported once, like LRB? Dammit, I'll have to hunt a new copy.

How many MS Points for the export, may I ask?

Ridley327

Eye Drop said:
:O So GD: RB can only be exported once, like LRB? Dammit, I'll have to hunt a new copy.

How many MS Points for the export, may I ask?
800 points, same as the LRB export and the upcoming RB2 export.

NameGenerated said:

It takes you back to the next note that you're about to hit, so if you fuck up prior to that, it stays fucked up.

Seems that it should be out here in Europe this week as well. This will be my first Rockband game, I'm so excited. :) Drums will be back in the living room annoying my wife and delighting my 2yo son soon. :D

BigBlackGamer said:
uhhh I played Foo Fighters and TCV for the achievement. I played Foo, QOTSA, NIN, TCV and Nirvana. Achievement Unlocked.
I dont know why it isn't working on mine. I have gone through all the Foo and TCV stuff that I have, and it still shows that I have done ZERO things for the achievement. And when I select the challenge and it takes me to a list of songs to choose to perform to get the achievement, it only lists the Nirvana and Tenacious D stuff.

Are you on PS3 or 360? Because if it is 360, then that is odd that it works on yours and not mine. :( I still have enough between the D and Nirvana, but it is frustrating that I hit the criteria with the Foo stuff.

PhoncipleBone said:
I dont know why it isn't working on mine. I have gone through all the Foo and TCV stuff that I have, and it still shows that I have done ZERO things for the achievement. And when I select the challenge and it takes me to a list of songs to choose to perform to get the achievement, it only lists the Nirvana and Tenacious D stuff.

Are you on PS3 or 360? Because if it is 360, then that is odd that it works on yours and not mine. :( I still have enough between the D and Nirvana, but it is frustrating that I hit the criteria with the Foo stuff.
Shag said it's DLC only. So, your exports and RB3 songs won't count.

Ridley327

PhoncipleBone said:
Well that explains it then. Such an odd criteria then. Perhaps they should change the wording on it then.
If you go into the challenge itself, it brings up a quickplay menu with all of the eligible songs. They do this for anything that has a specific requirement (like three 80s metal songs on guitar). Anything that has a specific setlist of songs will automatically generate that setlist when you select it, minus songs that you've already done (example: if you've already played Thunderstruck from AC/DC Live, the setlist will skip over that song and you'll play the rest of them instead). It's really damn slick.

Ridley327 said:
If you go into the challenge itself, it brings up a quickplay menu with all of the eligible songs. They do this for anything that has a specific requirement (like three 80s metal songs on guitar). Anything that has a specific setlist of songs will automatically generate that setlist when you select it, minus songs that you've already done (example: if you've already played Thunderstruck from AC/DC Live, the setlist will skip over that song and you'll play the rest of them instead). It's really damn slick.
I know, that is what I was mentioning. When I click the Grohl challenge it ONLY lists the Nirvana and Tenacious D stuff. Usually if you have played a song that qualifies, it shows on the one screen with a check mark. No Foo Fighters or TCV stuff shows. Only Nirvana and The D. It is just odd.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Will Rock Band 3 have some kind of redeem code with new copies like Rock Band 2 did with the 20 free downloadable songs?

Wario64 said:
Will Rock Band 3 have some kind of redeem code with new copies like Rock Band 2 did with the 20 free downloadable songs?
Not that I know of. There is a code on the back of the manual, but it is probably for registering it or exporting it at a future date.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Wario64 said:
One of the 20 free songs that RB2 had is the only song I still haven't been able to beat on drums. Fucking Prelude to the Sequel, or whatever.

Ridley327

Wario64 said:
The only code that I'm aware of is the account linking code that you can view in the overshell, but that's for the new RockBand.com (most likely, it's one of the steps you need to take to export RB2 as well).

Wario64 said:

Was that in the UK version of the game, too? I never downloaded any free songs... my Rock Band 2 case is in Australia so I can't check right now. I'm going to email my folks.

From Aaron Trites Twitter feed:

http://twitter.com/#!/HMXhenry/status/28690250244

HMXhenry said:
If we're not able to post export info before RB.com goes down we'll get the word out via Twitter, FB, fan sites, etc. Soon!

I know the MIDI adapter isn't due until the end of November, but I wish they would release the compatibility list for drum kits so I can go ahead and buy one and be set up for when it drops.

Daigoro

i got the call that my Gamestop is doing the midnight release thing, but i deleted the message.

anyone know if any of them are doing giveaways or anything? wondering if i should get there a little early...

Damn the pro guitar is 169.99 at gamestop here in canada. I wonder if its going to be that price everywhere.

I was actually thinking of picking it up until the real one comes out, but seems like they are just gouging us.

kodt

Banned
I have a Yamaha keyboard, but I am getting worried that it will not work with Rock Band 3 as it uses USB Midi.

There are USB-Midi converters, but they appear to be meant for PC or MAC, I don't think you could just plug one into the Midi Pro Adapter.

Anyone know if a USB Midi keyboard will work with Rock Band 3. I have the Yamaha DGX-230.

Here is a related forum thread, no-one seems to have an answer. http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4088537#post4088537

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
am I right in thinking that if I buy the Real guitar I need to buy a MIDI thingy as well? So it's not wireless is it?

ravien56

Elements604 said:
Damn the pro guitar is 169.99 at gamestop here in canada. I wonder if its going to be that price everywhere.

I was actually thinking of picking it up until the real one comes out, but seems like they are just gouging us.
What day they say it would be released?

Ridley327

kaizoku said:
am I right in thinking that if I buy the Real guitar I need to buy a MIDI thingy as well? So it's not wireless is it?
That's correct. The Squier itself is platform agnostic, so you need to have that platform's MIDI breakout box in order to play with it.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Is this old news? I dunno, lol.

http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4119212#post4119212

JOHN LENNON’S LEGENDARY IMAGINE ALBUM AMONG THE FIRST OF ROCK BAND™3 DOWNLOADABLE CONTENT

John Lennon, The Doors, Billy Joel and Bon Jovi Headline Epic Roster of Upcoming Rock Band 3 Downloadable Songs

Rock Band 3 to Rock the World on Oct. 26, 2010,
with More Than 2,000* Songs Available to Fans at Launch

Cambridge, MA – Oct. 25, 2010 – Raising the bar once again for interactive music games with the addition of groundbreaking new features that include keyboards, vocal harmonies and Rock Band Pro Mode, Harmonix Music Systems Inc., the world’s premier music video game developer, and MTV Games, a part of Viacom’s MTV Networks (NYSE: VIA, VIA.B), today proudly announced that Imagine, the timeless album from John Lennon, will be among the first albums released as Rock Band™ 3 downloadable content.

"The songs on John Lennon's Imagine run the gamut from beautiful piano-driven ballads like ‘Jealous Guy’ to all-out guitar rockers like ‘Gimme Some Truth’,” said Paul DeGooyer, senior vice president of electronic games, music and programming for MTV Networks. "It's an incredible musical statement, and a real workout on keyboard, guitar and vocals in Rock Band 3. We're very excited to confirm it as one of the first downloads for our new game, and to help our fans celebrate John's 70th birthday with its release."

As previously announced, The Doors will kick off Rock Band 3 downloadable content Oct. 22, but Harmonix and MTV Games have quite a line-up to follow that debut. Adding to an already impressive catalog of more than 2,000* songs available on the Rock Band platform, including music from John Lennon, The Doors, Bon Jovi and Billy Joel will also be among the first available for download through the Rock Band 3 Music Store after the game launches Oct. 26 in the United States and Oct. 29 in the rest of the world.

In addition, fans that purchase Rock Band 3 and play online during the first week the game is available (Oct. 26 – Nov. 1) can download a free three-pack of songs from The Doors that feature Pro Guitar and Pro Bass upgrades. The free pack, which is available only through the Rock Band 3 in-game Music Store, includes “Light My Fire,” “Riders on the Storm” and “Touch Me,” and incorporates five-button guitar and bass, Drums, Pro Drums and Keys, Pro Keys and harmonies, where applicable, as well as a free expansion that will add Pro Guitar and Pro Bass parts. A nine-pack of songs from The Doors will also be available for download that week. This includes some of the classic rockers’ most-loved songs, like “Hello, I Love You,” “L.A. Woman,” “Love Her Madly” and “Roadhouse Blues,” all featuring Drums, Pro Drums, five-button guitar and bass parts and, where applicable, harmonies and Keys/Pro Keys parts.

In the coming weeks, packs of some of the greatest hits from both Billy Joel and Bon Jovi will also be added to the Rock Band Music Store of downloadable content. Be sure to stay tuned to RockBand.com for more information.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
This includes some of the classic rockers’ most-loved songs, like “Hello, I Love You,” “L.A. Woman,” “Love Her Madly” and “Roadhouse Blues,” all featuring Drums, Pro Drums, five-button guitar and bass parts and, where applicable, harmonies and Keys/Pro Keys parts.

so these won't have pro guitar/bass?

Top Bottom