• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 3 |OT|

Shows how often I look on the dashboard. I usually just launch the game and buy from in there. :lol Wow.

Although it is nice that the "Store" shows all the songs, where the in game one in RB2 and the regular Live Marketplace doesnt show all the stuff. The only way I found the STP stuff was in the Store program.

Oli

Two stupid questions:

If I buy something from the Rock Band Store (The Dashboard one, not Rock Band Network) Will it:

A) Automatically work in Rock Band 3?

B) Count towards the 2400 MS point promotion?

I heard the RBN stuff doesn't work with the promotion, not sure if the STORE stuff was different and counted like DLC or not.

Chris R

I was planning on holding off on the Keyboard and just grabbing a MIDI adapter when they came out, but I got a $20 off coupon in the paper today... FML :( $60 for the keys, $45 for the game... totally a great deal, just feels like I'm spending more than I really will be :lol

Cutwolf

Got lost on the last page so I wanted to repost...sorry if against the rules.

Cutwolf said:
You can pick up a pair of Refurb'd Rock Band 2 drums w/ warranty for like $50 shipped on ebay from reputable sellers. Route I'm going.

Anyone know how Best Buy typically is with preorders? If I ordered today and did their overnight shipping, should it get here 10/26 or 10/27?

In Boston.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Cutwolf said:
Got lost on the last page so I wanted to repost...sorry if against the rules.
Are you dead-set on ordering from Best Buy? Amazon offers release date delivery for only $.99 as long as you order by tomorrow afternoon. I'm not really sure how reliable BB is.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I'm irrationally excited for this. Wish I could have gotten it early. Tuesday cannot come soon enough.

Cutwolf

vatstep said:
Are you dead-set on ordering from Best Buy? Amazon offers release date delivery for only $.99 as long as you order by tomorrow afternoon. I'm not really sure how reliable BB is.

Not really, but Amazon won't let me order from it for some reason. It just gives me the "sign up to be notified when this becomes available" option for the xbox 360 bundle. I'd actually prefer to order from Amazon.

rj118

I've been playing Guitar Hero for a few years now but my 360 guitar is broken and I'd like to get Rock Band 3. I checked on Amazon and couldn't find any bundles other than the keyboard/game. If I was to buy the standalone Guitar Hero 5 controller for $50 and the game for $60 would they work together? Are there better deals out there? I also would like to get the keyboard at some point but I'd rather have a guitar first.

tmarques

rhfb said:
Viacom decided to get serious and deleted a shitload of youtube videos :( This made dude running the channel I used to determine if a song I was iffy on was worth a DLC purchase or not decide to not buy 95% of the DLC anymore :(

Why fuck with freeeeeee advertising???!?

Doesn't Youtube automatically block any videos containing copyrighted music unless it's authorized by the record companies?

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Cutwolf said:
Not really, but Amazon won't let me order from it for some reason. It just gives me the "sign up to be notified when this becomes available" option for the xbox 360 bundle. I'd actually prefer to order from Amazon.
Ah, I thought you just meant the standalone game. Not sure then — Amazon's availability of some stuff seems odd right now.

Maddog

rj118 said:
I've been playing Guitar Hero for a few years now but my 360 guitar is broken and I'd like to get Rock Band 3. I checked on Amazon and couldn't find any bundles other than the keyboard/game. If I was to buy the standalone Guitar Hero 5 controller for $50 and the game for $60 would they work together? Are there better deals out there? I also would like to get the keyboard at some point but I'd rather have a guitar first.

Buy the Warriors of Rock guitar bundle off of Amazons DOTD for 70. Then buy RB3 for 60. 130 for two games and a guitar is pretty decent.

rj118

Maddog said:
Buy the Warriors of Rock guitar bundle off of Amazons DOTD for 70. Then buy RB3 for 60. 130 for two games and a guitar is pretty decent.

The reviewers say the guitar strum bar broke fairly quickly. I am somewhat worried about that even though it comes with a warranty.

Cutwolf

rj118 said:
The reviewers say the guitar strum bar broke fairly quickly. I am somewhat worried about that even though it comes with a warranty.

Can't go wrong getting the GH2 X-plorer. Still the best one IMO.

Can find them new for cheap on ebay.

Messi

If I buy rock band 3 from the us to use on a pal console. I know its region free but will I have any problems with getting or using my old dlc?

vehn

Sorta crappy that the keyboard has only one hand playing. How can you get realistic pro mode songs with one hand?? Hope the $80 keyboard and game play doesnt give any buyers remorse

ravien56

Anyone here got the pro mustang guitar? Impressions? I'm seriously considering buying it and there's not too many reviews yet.

DuckRacer

Oli said:
Two stupid questions:

If I buy something from the Rock Band Store (The Dashboard one, not Rock Band Network) Will it:

A) Automatically work in Rock Band 3?

B) Count towards the 2400 MS point promotion?

I heard the RBN stuff doesn't work with the promotion, not sure if the STORE stuff was different and counted like DLC or not.
A) Yeah. Granted, there's a full week of DLC from August '09 (Dino Jr/Anvil/Tenacious D/Guess Who) that doesn't work because of a programming error, but other than that everything works.

B) Yeah, and you're downloading the same files from the in-game store so they count too. RBN doesn't count because it's XNA-driven.

Messi said:
If I buy rock band 3 from the us to use on a pal console. I know its region free but will I have any problems with getting or using my old dlc?

DLC is region-locked. So if you've got previous DLC that was purchased from the European store, you won't be able to import it into the NA version of RB3.

Aspiring

Just to ouble check before i buy, the Mustang PRO guitar and Keyboard are not region locked by some chance are they? Im from Australia and am getting the US version. They will be compatible yes?

EDIT: Should add i am on PS3.

Thanks to a suggestion here, I managed to get some refurbished RB2 drums off eBay for $56 including shipping. Hopefully they actually work! I'll pick up the cymbals in-store once I get them.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Why is the rockband.com password requirement so stringent now? At least 8 characters with 2 capitalized letters, 2 lower-case letters, 1 number, and 1 non-alphanumeric character. It's ridiculous.

Emerson said:
I don't think anyone got the Mustang early. I'll have it Thursday.
Thought the mustang was not until November?

Also, just finished all of the Road Challenges. Damn, my arm is tired. I do like that eventually you unlock the ability to play keys using the guitar controller. That should be fun.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Emerson said:
I don't think anyone got the Mustang early. I'll have it Thursday.
Explain.

Jesus, the credits to this game go on forever. First you have to sit through all the developer photos, then the credits list. Couldn't they combine the two? It has been over 15 minutes and it still isn't done.

Oli

DuckRacer said:
A) Yeah. Granted, there's a full week of DLC from August '09 (Dino Jr/Anvil/Tenacious D/Guess Who) that doesn't work because of a programming error, but other than that everything works.

B) Yeah, and you're downloading the same files from the in-game store so they count too. RBN doesn't count because it's XNA-driven.

Sweet, bought this haul:

Panic Switch, Sort of - Silversun Pickups
Liztomania - Phoenix
Somebody to Love - Queen
Wolf Like Me - TV on the Radio

Hope you're right about the deal, cause I just spent ten bucks! :lol

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
PhoncipleBone said:
Jesus, the credits to this game go on forever. First you have to sit through all the developer photos, then the credits list. Couldn't they combine the two? It has been over 15 minutes and it still isn't done.
I'm just stopping in this thread now. Got two questions:

1. How do people have this? (Reviewable copies?)
2. How are people getting the pro guitar before November?

Dacvak said:
I'm just stopping in this thread now. Got two questions:

1. How do people have this? (Reviewable copies?)
2. How are people getting the pro guitar before November?

Gamestop in my area sold it early. Guy said he didn't care if he got fired, so I bought it. He had a pile sitting out for anyone to buy. Been playing it since last Tuesday afternoon.

The pro guitar is November though, so I dont know how anyone has those.

As for the RB3 instruments, now the buttons are getting sticky on the Strat. Kind of annoying too. But I tried a few songs on keys using the guitar controller for a goof, and it is easier until you get those freaky chords like GBO ones. My hand could not stretch to do that one easily and quickly.

Stackboy

Just got this game in Australia today (not due out until the 28th).

Where do I go to export my RB2 track listing into RB3?

Dacvak

PhoncipleBone said:
Gamestop in my area sold it early. Guy said he didn't care if he got fired, so I bought it. He had a pile sitting out for anyone to buy. Been playing it since last Tuesday afternoon.

The pro guitar is November though, so I dont know how anyone has those.

As for the RB3 instruments, now the buttons are getting sticky on the Strat. Kind of annoying too. But I tried a few songs on keys using the guitar controller for a goof, and it is easier until you get those freaky chords like GBO ones. My hand could not stretch to do that one easily and quickly.
Would you buy me a copy and ship it to me?

Edit: Oh, I guess I can just wait until the end of the week.

sublime085 said:
Nice, less than 24 hours and I'll be struggling trough keyboard tutorials! woo
Yeah, the keys are killing me. I am just not used to it yet. I have nothing to do this week but play this game, so perhaps I will actually do somewhat decent on keys by the end of the week.

Also, there is a glitch with the Dave Grohl challenge in the game. It only lists Nirvana and Tenacious D as bands featuring him. Foo Fighters and Them Crooked Vultures do not appear as eligible for the challenge at all.

Stackboy

PhoncipleBone said:
That is the great mystery still. :(

Huh, how curious.

I can play Maps by Yeah Yeah Yeahs, I'm happy.

So far, the game feels great. Think I need to buy a new guitar though. My GH3 guitar seems to be finally giving out.

PhoncipleBone said:
Also, there is a glitch with the Dave Grohl challenge in the game. It only lists Nirvana and Tenacious D as bands featuring him. Foo Fighters and Them Crooked Vultures do not appear as eligible for the challenge at all.

uhhh I played Foo Fighters and TCV for the achievement. I played Foo, QOTSA, NIN, TCV and Nirvana. Achievement Unlocked.

Aspiring

So i just ordered the Mustang PRO Guitar and Keyboard through Amazon. It lists the guitar as a shipping date of November 26, so hopefully some gaffers can give me the lowdown on whether its awesome or crap and i can keep or cancel the order. So far the reviews have been great from Cnet and IGN.

And amazon are awesome. Hours after ordering the keyboard is listed as shipping soon :D

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Because of the keyboard this will be my first Rock Band game, woo! I had no idea I can use the keyboard to play lead/bass too. Pre-ordering today!

Can any veterans tell me how exporting songs from 1 and 2 work (maybe even Lego unless it's all weird stuff)? I've read about a $10 export key but do I still need the discs? I can get the first two games cheaply enough.

Thnikkaman said:
Because of the keyboard this will be my first Rock Band game, woo! I had no idea I can use the keyboard to play lead/bass too. Pre-ordering today!

Can any veterans tell me how exporting songs from 1 and 2 work (maybe even Lego unless it's all weird stuff)? I've read about a $10 export key but do I still need the discs? I can get the first two games cheaply enough.

It's 5 dollars for the Export key on the original Rockband and it exports right from the disc. For Lego Rockband and Greenday Rockband you need to buy them new to get the export code and then it's 10 dollars extra... this "export" is just a huge DLC d/l between 1-2 gigs. No one knows how the Rockband 2 export will work but it's expected to be 10 dollars as well.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
UltimaPooh said:
It's 5 dollars for the Export key on the original Rockband and it exports right from the disc. For Lego Rockband and Greenday Rockband you need to buy them new to get the export code and then it's 10 dollars extra... this "export" is just a huge DLC d/l between 1-2 gigs. No one knows how the Rockband 2 export will work but it's expected to be 10 dollars as well.
Great, thank you. I'm glad all the songs just download, less discs to mess around with. Looking at Lego and Green Day I think I can give them a miss!

Thnikkaman said:
Great, thank you. I'm glad all the songs just download, less discs to mess around with. Looking at Lego and Green Day I think I can give them a miss!

I got away with renting new copies of Lego and Greenday, so I got all their songs for about 15 bucks each... If you have a Vintage Stock in your area they rent any game in their store, even new ones... and they have the export keys in their cases.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
distantmantra said:
DLC is region-locked. So if you've got previous DLC that was purchased from the European store, you won't be able to import it into the NA version of RB3.

Yep. I imported RB2 from the US, so all my DLC is US, and therefore I'm having to import RB3 too.

FerranMG

Guys, I need a bit of help RE: guitars.

I have the Rock Band 1 Fender, which I hated because I don't like the feel of the buttons, and the strum bar doesn't click at all.

I have the GHWT guitar, which I love.

Are people that play RB with GH guitars happy about how they work?

If I was to buy a new guitar, do the new RB guitars (ie, Beattles or whatever) feel better than the original RB1 Fender?

Thanks! :)

Top Bottom