• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 3 |OT|

KaYotiX

Banned
Everyone else gave RB3 a 9+ , IGN just needs to create hits and that's what low scores do. Don't care what it scores anyways but just by looking at the feature list it's better than 2 and I put in hundreds of dollars worth of DLC and hundreds of hours into the game aswell. RB3 will be no different, I'll prolly play it more because of pro mode.

It still scored higher than GH6, which is what really matters. 8.5 is still a very good score. I do take issue with many of the things, such as re playability.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Joe Molotov said:
I don't know why they even bother talking about replayablity for any game, when we all know they just plow through every game as quickly as possible, if they even can be bothered to finish the game at all. With a game like Rock Band 3, I'd be surprised if he sunk more than 3 or 4 hours into it before calling it a day.
They didn't even play the whole tracks. Watch the video review and check out when they're browsing the library of songs. Only a selected few tracks were played and the difficulties that they were played on were Medium and Hard.

Why is it so hard for reviewers for these types of games to play on Expert? If they can't play it on expert, then hire someone who can. The game is a completely new beast on Expert and is 100x more fun than on Medium/Hard.

Plinko said:
I agree that IGN's quality has been declining steadily, but on the other hand, do you guys really need 5 pages of 10-size font to tell you how a game actually is?
Personally, with a game like Rock Band 3, which adds a lot of new features and the introduction of pro mode, yes. Is that too much to ask for in the world of gaming journalism? Most gaming reviews suck nowadays. Write a few paragraphs and call it a day...no, it shouldn't be that way.

PhoncipleBone said:
It still scored higher than GH6, which is what really matters. 8.5 is still a very good score. I do take issue with many of the things, such as re playability.
This is just dumb to me. Both are very solid games. This whole Rock Band vs. Guitar Hero shit is so stupid.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Rewrite said:
This is just dumb to me. Both are very solid games. This whole Rock Band vs. Guitar Hero shit is so stupid.

I don't get on board with all the trash-talking, but Guitar Hero is just atrocious these days. It's not even a matter of opinion anymore.

firehawk12 said:
Guelph ON.

Maybe all the assholes in Toronto are getting their bundles first, the fuckers. :lol
We aren't getting any in either! God damnit. Call and check whether they even have the DLC code too!

The software only copies are in though.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Emerson said:
I don't get on board with all the trash-talking, but Guitar Hero is just atrocious these days. It's not even a matter of opinion anymore.
It's not. Warriors of Rock has a lot of awesome songs that are fun to play. Same with Rock Band. Why is that concept so hard to understand? I play these games for fun and gasp, they both provide it!

Emerson said:
WoR is unquestionably the best GH game in a long time, if not the best ever (don't let your warm memories of GH2 blind you). Comparisons are dumb, and this time around RB3 obviously deserves the better reviews, but GH is far from atrocious. Atrocious is, say, GH:Van Halen.

Rewrite said:
Only reason it matters to me is because GH has been on a steady decline ever since III came out years ago. It is a shame too, as it would be neat to have two spectacular music and rhythm games out there. But it is good that GH is fading because it means not having to get two games to get all the good music.

[/QUOTE]Seeing as most customers can't even play on expert, I wouldn't say it's a requirement for reviewers to.[/QUOTE]
Now that is something you have said that I will agree with completely. Unless you think the reviewers are pussies too. You dont need to be able to play on expert to review it, but playing it on at least a higher difficulty will let you appreciate the game a bit more, fail or no fail on.

But I do agree that it is bullshit how little time IGN seemed to have put into the game before arriving at their verdict. There is so much stuff to do and unlock in the game, and it seems that they didn't really scratch anything in it.

I don't think you're a pussy for playing on medium, I think you're a pussy if the second you struggle you put No Fail on. It's against what video games should be about. And the way RB3 makes it so easy just seems wrong to me. It's not about "lrn2play, idiot", it just feels like it's teaching your players to not try to improve.

butter_stick said:
I don't think you're a pussy for playing on medium, I think you're a pussy if the second you struggle you put No Fail on. It's against what video games should be about.
But what if you just keep failing constantly and finally switch it on? Why assume that people put it on at the first sign of trouble?

And it's only two hours to launch and still no word on exports. RB.com is still down. No updates on twitter or facebook either. Grr.

Ridley327 said:
Video games are about not having fun?
Imagine if Donkey Kong had auto jump.

But what if you just keep failing constantly and finally switch it on? Why assume that people put it on at the first sign of trouble?

Because Harmonix added it to the damn fail screen. It's just really weak to me. I understand having the option in game, but having it so forefront when you're presented with a challenge just seems counter productive.

Rewrite said:
Personally, with a game like Rock Band 3, which adds a lot of new features and the introduction of pro mode, yes. Is that too much to ask for in the world of gaming journalism? Most gaming reviews suck nowadays. Write a few paragraphs and call it a day...no, it shouldn't be that way.
Verbose breaking down of the pro modes and instruments would also make for a shitty review. There's such a thing as "keep it simple, stupid." That IGN review isn't great (like everything IGN does!), but your solution isn't so great either.

butter_stick said:
I don't think you're a pussy for playing on medium, I think you're a pussy if the second you struggle you put No Fail on. It's against what video games should be about. And the way RB3 makes it so easy just seems wrong to me. It's not about "lrn2play, idiot", it just feels like it's teaching your players to not try to improve.
Suck my dick.

Ridley327 said:
I bet a lot of people would still find it to be fun?

Dude, it's not like no-fail plays the chart for you.
If anything auto jump in Donkey Kong might make it harder. Still fun though.

I am with Ridley on this one. He's all right, no need to worry about him.

Pancho

Qurupancho
PhoncipleBone said:
And it's only two hours to launch and still no word on exports. RB.com is still down. No updates on twitter or facebook either. Grr.

We'll probably see the export key next Tuesday, me thinks.

And I seriously hope they fixed the online on the PS3. RB2's Online quickplay has been borked since a few days back. Hopefully it won't mean RB3's online will be broken as well.

Emerson said:
i defended GH5 to high hilt. didn't buy this years garbage though.

butter_stick said:
Personal attacks because you disagree with an opinion, is this GameFAQs?
It's more that I think it's pretty fucking insulting to pull the whole "LOL IF YOU NO FAIL MODE, YOU GO AGAINST HOW VIDEO GAMES ARE MEANT TO BE PLAYED!" card. Take your arrogant bullshit elsewhere. I play these games to have fun faux-playing to music I really love and probably can't actually play on my real guitar, not as some dick-waving contest to show how awesome I am at hitting colored buttons in rhythm. Whether or not I get better at the game is something for me to worry about and me alone.

In other news, I want my copy now god dammit. >:|

Pancho said:

And I seriously hope they fixed the online on the PS3. RB2's Online quickplay has been borked since a few days back. Hopefully it won't mean RB3's online will be broken as well.
Sent 4 hours ago:
Phonciplebone said:
@HMXhenry There is worry on GAF that the reason for lack of export news is that LOTS of stuff wont export from RB2. Any truth to this?

Reply from 2 minutes ago:
HMXHenry said:
@phonciplebone It's a great number, the vast majority. I think folks will be very happy. All will be revealed shortly!

Pancho said:

i want to import before then though. i don't want to have to swap disks at my rock band 3 party on saturday.

DukeSucks

having no-fail option in the game isn't a bad thing. I put it on all the time when my young kids want to play with me. They have fun singing what words they know or banging on the drums and that wouldn't be possible without that feature.

I AM JOHN! said:
It's more that I think it's pretty fucking insulting to pull the whole "LOL IF YOU NO FAIL MODE, YOU GO AGAINST HOW VIDEO GAMES ARE MEANT TO BE PLAYED!" card. Take your arrogant bullshit elsewhere. I play these games to have fun faux-playing to music I really love and probably can't actually play on my real guitar, not as some dick-waving contest to show how awesome I am at hitting colored buttons in rhythm. Whether or not I get better at the game is something for me to worry about and me alone.

2q0ksoj.jpg

But thank you for speaking what many of us were thinking, John.

I AM JOHN! said:

You can have your opinion. Note how I'm not asking you to suck my dick because I disagree with it? It's called not being 15.

Grecco

If you want no fail mode. Just go to practice mode. Thats why it there.

And lol at the people trashing GH WOR. Its easily the best guitar hero ever made. Love people trashing games they dont play. Its like that super paper mario.gif.

Perhaps it is time to rein in this topic so that it doesn't go off the rails like the last Rock Band thread.

The game is getting great reviews and lots of positive press even in the mainstream. There is tons of amazing DLC on the way. Harmonix has been doing a spectacular job on this so far, let's just hope that the export news doesn't disappoint.

butter_stick said:
You can have your opinion. Note how I'm not asking you to suck my dick because I disagree with it? It's called not being 15.
And if the way you word your opinion comes off as arrogant and douchey to me and like you're belitting people like me who simply don't give a fuck how good they are at the game or if they will ever be able to play on expert, I'm going to call you out on it. Funny how that works.

fernoca

I have no problem admitting that I play on Easy/Medium (Easy most if not all the time) and I've been playing since the first GH game. Baby steps with me! But I just love the music and the colors! :lol

PhoncipleBone said:
Perhaps it is time to rein in this topic so that it doesn't go off the rails like the last Rock Band thread.

The game is getting great reviews and lots of positive press even in the mainstream. There is tons of amazing DLC on the way. Harmonix has been doing a spectacular job on this so far, let's just hope that the export news doesn't disappoint.
lets hope the news actually comes soon.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Uh, apparently Martha Stewart plays Rock Band.

GuitarAtomik said:
Hmmm. My receipt doesn't have any codes on it. Maybe it will be on the receipt when I pick it up? Do I get a receipt when I pick it up? Don't screw me again GS.
You will get it when you go pick up the game. If you don't get anything, tell the employees you had pre-ordered it and they will print it out for you.

fernoca

GuitarAtomik said:
Hmmm. My receipt doesn't have any codes on it. Maybe it will be on the receipt when I pick it up? Do I get a receipt when I pick it up? Don't screw me again GS.
Yep, is on the receipt when the pick/pay the game. ;)
Check in the store just i ncase, so you can go back and ask for it in case they forgot. They scan an UPC and print it.

I AM JOHN! said:
And if the way you word your opinion comes off as arrogant and douchey to me and like you're belitting people like me who simply don't give a fuck how good they are at the game or if they will ever be able to play on expert, I'm going to call you out on it. Funny how that works.
I'm more opposed to Harmonix making No Fail mode so prominent and accessible than it being in the game. I understand why people would want the option for the toggle, but it doesn't need to be presented to you every time you fail a song. Some of my fondest memories of these games are struggling to get through tracks on hard, and tempting people with no fail so often seems like it could remove some of the highs that come from finally beating a song.

If you disagree, go for it, but I'm not trying to say everybody should be FC'ing songs on expert. I'm saying challenge can be a cornerstone of why these games are great.

Rewrite said:
You will get it when you go pick up the game. If you don't get anything, tell the employees you had pre-ordered it and they will print it out for you.

Ok, thanks. I'd be pissed if I got screwed out of those. Game needs moar DEFTONES!

Chris R

This time tomorrow I'll be playing :D Sucks I can't pick it up until I'm done with work. Odds are it is going to snow 2+" tonight too, making getting to the best buy after work even more painful :(

butter_stick said:
I'm more opposed to Harmonix making No Fail mode so prominent and accessible than it being in the game. I understand why people would want the option for the toggle, but it doesn't need to be presented to you every time you fail a song. Some of my fondest memories of these games are struggling to get through tracks on hard, and tempting people with no fail so often seems like it could remove some of the highs that come from finally beating a song.

If you disagree, go for it, but I'm not trying to say everybody should be FC'ing songs on expert. I'm saying challenge can be a cornerstone of why these games are great.
even with no fail mode, people are still going to try and get higher scores and more stars and what have you. yeah, it negates the pleasure of 'beating' the song, but it doesn't take away challenge, or prevent people from wanting to get better.

plagiarize said:
even with no fail mode, people are still going to try and get higher scores and more stars and what have you. yeah, it negates the pleasure of 'beating' the song, but it doesn't take away challenge, or prevent people from wanting to get better.
No fail in DJ stopped me caring about that game as much as I could have, because I never needed to improve or practice. Granted, RB3 isn't at that level of no fail, but I think it's a valid concern, despite the attacks and requests for oral sex I'm getting.

butter_stick said:

If it was up to me, No Fail would be on by default. I see your point ONLY if they bring it up as an annoying option every time you fail, but if it's as easy as scrolling down to "retry" I don't see the problem.

I know the RB3 songs take out the sing along but what about the past songs that had it, will they still work?

Still like to know the idiot who decided this... Over the stereo I would feel like I was back in the bar with the sing along.

Ridley327

jhferry said:
I know the RB3 songs take out the sing along but what about the past songs that had it, will they still work?

Still like to know the idiot who decided this... Over the stereo I would feel like I was back in the bar with the sing along.
It's just the on-disc songs in RB3. All of the previous songs that had them (including, I'd imagine, the RB2 songs) still feature them. Amusingly enough, the crowd even sings when you're in the music video venues. :lol

Pancho

Qurupancho
Ridley327 said:
It's just the on-disc songs in RB3. All of the previous songs that had them (including, I'd imagine, the RB2 songs) still feature them. Amusingly enough, the crowd even sings when you're in the music video venues. :lol

That always puts me off :lol

You shouldn't hear the crowd, much less, hear them singing along in those venues.

A pet-peeve but it always bothers me.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Yeah, that always made me laugh when the crowd would sing in music videos in Rock Band 2. Still, crowd singalongs is one of my favorite features in the Rock Band games and it just pisses me off that Harmonix couldn't include them on the RB 3 setlist. They had enough time to gather a bunch of people to sing. Even Green Day Rock Band had them. :|

Pancho

Qurupancho
Rewrite said:
Yeah, that always made me laugh when the crowd would sing in music videos in Rock Band 2. Still, crowd singalongs is one of my favorite features in the Rock Band games and it just pisses me off that Harmonix couldn't include them on the RB 3 setlist. They had enough time to gather a bunch of people to sing. Even Green Day Rock Band had them. :|

Such a missed opportunity

Especially with Bohemian Fucking Rhapsody :lol

bounchfx

These 3 Cymbals are absolute crap so far. I can get used to how they feel, but they function like shit. they either double hit or don't register at all. Not very happy. Maybe RB3 has some code that makes them read better.. I'm just trying to adapt to them via RB2 so far... 50 minutes left.

Doors DLC GET! It is almost done downloading.

Also, Blue Monday is rather boring on guitar. Not a surprise. But the drums and bass sound great to play.

Top Bottom