• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 3 |OT|

Pancho

Qurupancho
soul creator said:
all it does is make me realize how much money I've spent on this damn series

why couldn't they have just left the number off? :lol

:lol :lol :(

I'm the same here with 591 songs

jgkspsx

So, this is the latest. I called them yesterday at (410) 568-3680 (http://games.kidswb.com/official-site/lego-rock-band/support/). You may want to call them.

The guy had me scan the code sheet and my receipt (wtf no :lol I bought it six months ago), and email them to him, but you probably want to start the ticket on the phone. He implied they've had hundreds of calls. They won't guarantee replacement without a receipt, which is pretty insane. He said they probably wouldn't enforce it that strictly.

He said not to expect anything before Wednesday.

peetfeet

Psychotext said:
Hmm... is it even possible to get the cymbal pack in the UK? I'm looking at upgrading the Beatles RB drums but I can't seem to find the cymbals anywhere. I've seen one site selling a 2 pack... but doesn't pro drums on RB3 need three? (It's what the pro drum pack comes with)
Gameshark uk are selling them, non in stock atm but more due in

peetfeet said:
Gameshark uk are selling them, non in stock atm but more due in
Thanks. On another purchasing related note, one for the guitar aficionados.

I want to pick up a new guitar but have no interest in pro mode... which would you go for, a Gretsch Duo Jet (Beatles RB) for £48, or buy the new RB3 standard guitar for £50? I think I like the design of the Gretsch better, but I'm wondering if they've upgraded the RB3 guitar at all.

Nekofrog

Banned
So what's the freaking deal with this game?

I got rid of all my plastic instruments (had too many, half were broken anyway) a few weeks ago under the assumption that I'd just be able to buy a RB3 bundlle with every necessary instrument.

Is this not the case? WTF is going on?

jgkspsx said:
So, this is the latest. I called them yesterday at (410) 568-3680 (http://games.kidswb.com/official-site/lego-rock-band/support/). You may want to call them.

The guy had me scan the code sheet and my receipt (wtf no :lol I bought it six months ago), and email them to him, but you probably want to start the ticket on the phone. He implied they've had hundreds of calls. They won't guarantee replacement without a receipt, which is pretty insane. He said they probably wouldn't enforce it that strictly.

He said not to expect anything before Wednesday.

Cool, thanks for the info. I ran into this problem yesterday. :/

jgkspsx

So, is the 20 free downloads thing dead? It doesn't say anywhere that it was a limited time offer, but the page on RB.com 404s. Somebody suggested entering it in as a "redeem code", but it's 16 chars instead of 25. Entering it in RB3 gets the download pack. I guess I could try entering it in RB2...

Nekofrog said:
So what's the freaking deal with this game?

I got rid of all my plastic instruments (had too many, half were broken anyway) a few weeks ago under the assumption that I'd just be able to buy a RB3 bundlle with every necessary instrument.

Is this not the case? WTF is going on?

You might have checked any thread about the game or any online retailer first.

The good news is that brand new bundles are dirt cheap. I recommend Band Hero ($60 for 360 at Best Buy) for guitar and mic (sell the drums) and Beatles RB ($90 on Amazon?) for bass, drums, and mic w/stand.

Nekofrog

Banned
jgkspsx said:

You might have checked any thread about the game or any online retailer first.

The good news is that brand new bundles are dirt cheap. I recommend Band Hero ($60 for 360 at Best Buy) for guitar and mic (sell the drums) and Beatles RB ($90 on Amazon?) for bass, drums, and mic w/stand.

I did, and I found that most people were complaining about the PS3's lack of a keyboard, and no retailer with a full bundle.

I was trying to confirm that this was the case. If so, it's astronomically stupid.

jgkspsx

Nekofrog said:
I did, and I found that most people were complaining about the PS3's lack of a keyboard, and no retailer with a full bundle.

I was trying to confirm that this was the case. If so, it's astronomically stupid.
Retailers are really, really tired of stocking huge, forty-pound boxes. Besides, everybody has instruments, like you did prior to selling them. :(

Nekofrog

Banned
jgkspsx said:
Retailers are really, really tired of stocking huge, forty-pound boxes. Besides, everybody has instruments, like you did prior to selling them. :(

I just threw most of them away because 1. I was moving, and 2. None of them are built to last. Even with gentle, "casual" use half of them were broken (broken drum pedal on RB1 drums, broken strum bar on GH3 guitar, broken whammy bar on RB1 guitar, and so on and so on and so on).

Meanwhile, my GH2 PS2 controller is still chugging along like a champ, even if the neck is a bit loose.

rhfb said:
Dongles are fine. Anyone else get that loading new downloaded songs popup EVERY time the game launches? Can't decide if this is a bug or if they just worded the info window badly.
I can guarantee you that they did that in the background in RB2 as well. That's probably why it took 3 weeks to get into the store.

Raistlin

jett said:

Heh ... that's gonna be fun to learn. Remember though, once you learn the main riff doing that particular part won't be too difficult. It's pretty repetitive.
pre-solo is repetitive too - but that won't stop it from being a debacle :p
. Solo ... that will be nuts. At least they let you completely slop glissandos.

This is actually the first vid I've seen of pro keys - I had no idea how it worked. At first I was wondering how in god's name you could keep track of things, but then I realized the smaller notes were for the black keys. I do wonder how this would work in a band setting though. Once you move to a smaller track, it's going to be pretty hard to play unless you have a huge TV?

Fuck ... I want my MIDI adapters T_T

sneaky77

so this is my not angry at all reply to harmonix asking for my receipt of lego rockband.. fucking morons..

Surely that's a joke right? The game was purchased many many months ago. This would have never happened had the export website said at any point before entering the code, that the site was not working. How a company can leave it up like nothing is going on like that is beyond ridiculous.
I can scan my manual no problem, but a receipt is a long time gone, and to expect customers to keep a receipt for that long, when is Harmonix that messed up by not closing down the site when it wasn't working is pathetic.

Mileena

Banned
Even though I am having a blast playing RB3, Harmonix has dropped the ball a ton on this release. First off, the export info should have been announced a few weeks prior to release. It seemed very favorable, and expected, except for a few surprising songs. All in all, RB3 should have been delayed a month so they could get a bit more QA in, as well as have all pro/RB3 branded peripherals available at launch. Seriously, I have NO idea what MadCatz/Harmonix is doing with the fuckin' Mustang. Every country, every retailer, every individual store seems to have different dates for the thing.

Not to mention, they've kept awfully quiet on the "missing DLC" songs front. I want my Tenacious D.

ALSO, they need to be less fucking cryptic when it comes to legacy DLC support. How hard would it have been to throw in some vocals or keys into any Queen song? I figure Boston would be a little harder, but there are quite a few Queen songs that don't have keys charted to guitar; such as "Killer Queen."

RB3 has been fun. The use of goals and leaderboards is fantastic in making me want to play songs I've forgotten about, or haven't played in a while, again. I've said it before, but the character creator is a bit of a disappointment, especially when comparing it to RB2 before it. Keys are fun (especially Pro Keys), when they actually get used.

Edit:
Also also, in regards to pro-guitar: I'm not very good at playing guitar. I'd say I'm, at most, a step above a complete newb, but I don't think I like pro-guitar very much. It feels like I have to learn a whole new reading technique just to spend months getting better, slowly. Even getting more songs with Pro Guitar is going to be a hassle. I think at this point, for me, it would be best to stick to reading tabs for songs I like rather than hope and wait for Harmonix to chart songs I'd like to play.

I do like that I can jump instruments fairly easily without much worry, too.

Another little thing that I do wish Harmonix would fix, is band members on stage. Bands need to be a bit more dynamic. If the song I'm playing has keys, harmonies, drums, bass, and guitar, I want to see 5 people, at least, on the stage. If the song I'm playing only has guitar and bass, I want to only see two people on stage.

And, I would love to see more variety when it comes to venues. How hard would it honestly be to have your band playing in a drainage ditch, or against a fence? Outside. In the day.

Maybe I'm just a bit jaded, or maybe I'm bored of the genre. Hell, it could just be that I expected better of Harmonix. Don't get me wrong, RB3 is a solid game, but there are too many people suckin Harmonix cock and hating on GH for little reason. There ARE reasons to hate GH, but it seems like it's petty.

Raistlin

jgkspsx said:
So, is the 20 free downloads thing dead? It doesn't say anywhere that it was a limited time offer, but the page on RB.com 404s. Somebody suggested entering it in as a "redeem code", but it's 16 chars instead of 25. Entering it in RB3 gets the download pack. I guess I could try entering it in RB2...

Worked fine for me last night.

Wait ... I just checked ... it's still up.

http://www.rockband.com/bonustracks

Raistlin

corkscrewblow said:
ALSO, they need to be less fucking cryptic when it comes to legacy DLC support. How hard would it have been to throw in some vocals or keys into any Queen song? I figure Boston would be a little harder, but there are quite a few Queen songs that don't have keys charted to guitar; such as "Killer Queen."
Obviously I don't know the details, but I suspect the songs are licensed 'as is'. For them to go back and change them, they may need permission?

Edit:
Also also, in regards to pro-guitar: I'm not very good at playing guitar. I'd say I'm, at most, a step above a complete newb, but I don't think I like pro-guitar very much. It feels like I have to learn a whole new reading technique just to spend months getting better, slowly. Even getting more songs with Pro Guitar is going to be a hassle. I think at this point, for me, it would be best to stick to reading tabs for songs I like rather than hope and wait for Harmonix to chart songs I'd like to play.
You do realize that learning it actually has a use in the real world, unlike non-pro?

The fact people spent months (years) becoming 'experts' on a plastic toy is what shocks me. For those to then not want to do it on the real thing just boggles my mind. I mean, I can understand if money is an issue. The Mustang (which isn't quite real to begin with) is already expensive ... obviously the Squier won't be affordable by all. If money isn't the issue however ... I just don't get it.

jgkspsx said:
WTF. I entered the URL without the www and got the 404. Damn webmaster oversights :lol
:p

mrklaw

MrArseFace
was playing some Lego Rock Band with my son and I realised one feature the series could do with - some kind of monitor for individual channels. I'd love to be able to use a bluetooth headset to listen to just the guitar track. I find it hard to follow the guitar rhythm sometimes with the clatter of the drums just to my left.

corkscrewblow said:
RB3 has been fun. The use of goals and leaderboards is fantastic in making me want to play songs I've forgotten about, or haven't played in a while, again. I've said it before, but the character creator is a bit of a disappointment, especially when comparing it to RB2 before it. Keys are fun (especially Pro Keys), when they actually get used.
You can customize even more in this one than in RB2. Have you done into the "customize character" menu after you created them? When you first create them, it is limited with clothing options (but a lot more body options), but once in the customization it is just as robust as before.

I also like that my sign on opens up all the costumes and instruments and I dont have to earn all of that bullshit again for each new character I create.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
sneaky77 said:
so this is my not angry at all reply to harmonix asking for my receipt of lego rockband.. fucking morons..

agreed, its stupid beyond belief. Surely they have logs of the keys that were entered? I emailed them immediately after my code was rejected, and said 'I just did it, go back and check the logs, here is the code I used'

but no, they wanted receipt and leaflet scan. Luckily I'd ordered online so had the email receipt, otherwise I'd have replied in a similar fashion to yours.

peetfeet

Nekofrog said:
I just threw most of them away because 1. I was moving, and 2. None of them are built to last. Even with gentle, "casual" use half of them were broken (broken drum pedal on RB1 drums, broken strum bar on GH3 guitar, broken whammy bar on RB1 guitar, and so on and so on and so on).

Meanwhile, my GH2 PS2 controller is still chugging along like a champ, even if the neck is a bit loose.

UK? Here

Raistlin

mrklaw said:
was playing some Lego Rock Band with my son and I realised one feature the series could do with - some kind of monitor for individual channels. I'd love to be able to use a bluetooth headset to listen to just the guitar track. I find it hard to follow the guitar rhythm sometimes with the clatter of the drums just to my left.
Ah monitoring ... that's a cool idea. I can't believe I've never seen someone ask for this.

Especially from those that actually play in a real band.

vg260

PhoncipleBone said:
You can customize even more in this one than in RB2. Have you done into the "customize character" menu after you created them? When you first create them, it is limited with clothing options (but a lot more body options), but once in the customization it is just as robust as before.

I also like that my sign on opens up all the costumes and instruments and I dont have to earn all of that bullshit again for each new character I create.

Yeah, I hated having to earn money individually per character before. I'm a bit disappointed I can't recreate some of my RB2 characters with much accuracy in RB3. I made a couple that I was pretty attached to. In RB2, I was able to crate a dead-on version of a former roommate who was a musician with stock parts. It was eerie and hilarious. I'm sad they removed the hair and clothes I used, so now the magic is gone. :p They also changed the hair that resembled mine too. Grr.

vehn

so I just downloaded my first paid DLC (the grateful dead pack 1) and looking at the leaderboards, none have more than 35 people on them. Does that mean only 35 people downloaded the pack, or is that just the number of people with rock band 3 that have played it?

Another thing that RB3 needs badly is a jukebox option.

To be able to select a song list, and autoplay it with your current band, like a musical video, without showing any kind of interface and without having to press any key between songs. Something like a Rock Band Music Channel.

Pancho

Qurupancho
vehn said:
so I just downloaded my first paid DLC (the grateful dead pack 1) and looking at the leaderboards, none have more than 35 people on them. Does that mean only 35 people downloaded the pack, or is that just the number of people with rock band 3 that have played it?
The Number of people that have played it in RB3. Im number 1 in "The Metal" on gtr on the PS3 and I know it doesn't mean much cuz I'm not that good. But still, feels good seeing that #1 :lol

vehn said:
Number inrb3 that played. I am first on bass for Casey Jones in the game, but since I can't link it doesn't show online.

Pancho

Qurupancho
Is anyone else addicted to Killing Moon? I don't know why I play that song everyday. It's not challenging but it's damn mellow, love it.

DangerousDave said:
Another thing that RB3 needs badly is a jukebox option.

To be able to select a song list, and autoplay it with your current band, like a musical video, without showing any kind of interface and without having to press any key between songs. Something like a Rock Band Music Channel.
They're almost there already, so it's weird that they don't have it. Performance Mode + No Fail would have been enough if only the music didn't stop when you miss notes.

On the PS3 here and we are completely unable to connect to the in-game RB3 music store. Every time I attempt to connect I get a message saying "unable to connect to RB music store at this time try again later".

I really want to get those free Doors tracks but I can't get them if I can't access the in-game store. Anyone having this same problem? Find a fix?

btw, we also had similar troubles trying to connecting to the RB2 in-game store but it didn't matter then because we could buy songs from PS Store.

AndyMoogle said:
They're almost there already, so it's weird that they don't have it. Performance Mode + No Fail would have been enough if only the music didn't stop when you miss notes.

You can do it in RB2 with vocal and no-fail, but there is still the issue of pressing a key to move from one song to another.

Wessiej

ninjavanish said:
On the PS3 here and we are completely unable to connect to the in-game RB3 music store. Every time I attempt to connect I get a message saying "unable to connect to RB music store at this time try again later".

I really want to get those free Doors tracks but I can't get them if I can't access the in-game store. Anyone having this same problem? Find a fix?

btw, we also had similar troubles trying to connecting to the RB2 in-game store but it didn't matter then because we could buy songs from PS Store.
Are you living in Europe but having a US Rock Band 3? If so, log in through a American account.

Raistlin

ninjavanish said:

Go to account management -> redeem code (or whatever it's called).

You should get the download voucher/token/whatever. While I can't confirm it, I suspect as long as you've downloaded that ... it won't matter when you grab the actual downloads from the store.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
There's one thing I don't like to add to the list of complaints. I can't have access to certain clothes because they're locked away from certain challenges. Example: I have no desire to pick up the Mustang right now so I won't have access to the accessories/clothing that require Mustang specific challenges to be completed. :(

By the way, that little pop up that says it's loading additional songs does get annoying. It was pretty fast to load up in RB 2 compared with 3.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
ninjavanish said:

Can you not buy songs from the PSN store anymore? I don't want to have to fire up the game just to see what's out, i'd rather browse while i'm checking out other new content in the store

Ridley327

mrklaw said:
Can you not buy songs from the PSN store anymore? I don't want to have to fire up the game just to see what's out, i'd rather browse while i'm checking out other new content in the store
The Doors songs are exclusive to the in-game store due to the free pack promotion. It's also why they're not available as singles until Tuesday.

Ok, sorry. Some work took up my morning. If Any US ps3 rb3 friends are willing to sign on and get the doors free pack on my account. I'll love you forever!

Yoshi256

Banned
demosthenes said:
Can you export Beatles RB to RB3?

Unfortunately not, I'd love to see the Beatles tracks with keyboard support. That would be great.
The keyboard is cool, but it doesn't fit to most of the songs, I'd rather play songs like Against all Odds with keyboard than these rock songs, that work better with the other instruments.

Top Bottom