• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 3 |OT|

Ridley327

123rl said:
As I said I had no idea that all songs were Pro-mode compatible. I try and keep myself up to date with Rock Band but it's news to me

Question for the Pro players...do you have the cymbals above the corresponding colours or do you have them in different positions? The box for the drums has the yellow and blue switched - ie like this: http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/4...reless-Pro-Drums-and-Cymbal-Pack/Product.html

I tried it and it works but it's very confusing. But is this the way it's meant to be played?
Set them up to your liking; since none of the cymbals are specifically made for a port, you can decided where each of them go.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Ridley327 said:
Set them up to your liking; since none of the cymbals are specifically made for a port, you can decided where each of them go.

surely there is a general 'standard' way that drums are set up though?

After a few days of playing RB3 on PS3 I must say I am impressed. Very polished and probably the best on-disc songlist they've done. I'm in Canada so no keyboard and pro guitar, I'll get these eventually.

I need a new guitar as my RB1 Strat is getting old. The overdrive sensor is busted so I have to hit Select which means I'll miss notes unless it's a big lull in the song. I need to find a comfortable one as my hand and shoulder tend to really cramp after playing a while, RB1 Strat sucks surprised it lasted so long.

Maybe I'll finally make the commitment and learn Hard Guitar. Reading some forums it seems to be the biggest leap. I noticed RB3 tracks on Medium use orange notes now.

Overall it's a good game, surprised it's not selling well, maybe people really are burnt out or they just buy DLC and skip the disc releases.

123rl

mrklaw said:

That's what I was asking. Are the charts based on (left to right) yellow>blue>green cymbal pattern or a blue>yellow>green pattern?

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
mrklaw said:
Well, while playing they're charted as yellow-blue-green from left to right. You could set them up in a different order than this if you wanted to for some reason, but you'd be making it unnecessarily hard on yourself.

Hige

Interfectum said:
have they fucked up the online functionality for RB3 or something??

Is there a way for me to substitute Xbox Live players into my band for Road Challenges? Everytime I go to play online someone else is the "leader" besides me. How can I start an Xbox Live game where I'm the band leader? (not inviting friends, I'm talking about grabbing randoms from XBL)
I think there's no way to choose whether you host or join an online career/road challenge anymore. Really sucks. I've been leader for road challenges before without choosing anything, it's just luck of the draw.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
KernelPanic said:
After a few days of playing RB3 on PS3 I must say I am impressed. Very polished and probably the best on-disc songlist they've done. I'm in Canada so no keyboard and pro guitar, I'll get these eventually.

I need a new guitar as my RB1 Strat is getting old. The overdrive sensor is busted so I have to hit Select which means I'll miss notes unless it's a big lull in the song. I need to find a comfortable one as my hand and shoulder tend to really cramp after playing a while, RB1 Strat sucks surprised it lasted so long.

Maybe I'll finally make the commitment and learn Hard Guitar. Reading some forums it seems to be the biggest leap. I noticed RB3 tracks on Medium use orange notes now.

Overall it's a good game, surprised it's not selling well, maybe people really are burnt out or they just buy DLC and skip the disc releases.
Yeah I'm digging it. I'm just enjoying jumping back into Rock Band for a little while and playing with this huge library I now have. It's been said before, keys are a lot of fun but it's too bad (though understandable) that the current song selection is somewhat limited. I don't really like the Pro stuff myself, think I'll be sticking to good ol' five-pad everything. But that certainly provides more than enough challenge and fun. When I get my new drums in and the LRB code works I'll be set for a while, and I'll pick up all the good DLC in the meantime. The key to RB for me was just giving it a break for about a year, because jumping back in I enjoy it as much as ever.

AstroLad said:
Yeah I'm digging it. I'm just enjoying jumping back into Rock Band for a little while and playing with this huge library I now have. It's been said before, keys are a lot of fun but it's too bad (though understandable) that the current song selection is somewhat limited. I don't really like the Pro stuff myself, think I'll be sticking to good ol' five-pad everything. But that certainly provides more than enough challenge and fun. When I get my new drums in and the LRB code works I'll be set for a while, and I'll pick up all the good DLC in the meantime. The key to RB for me was just giving it a break for about a year, because jumping back in I enjoy it as much as ever.

I got burnt out and they were releasing crummy DLC (Miley Cyrus and Nickelback ugh).

Actually got back into RB2 because I saw they posted CCR and REM DLC which me and the wife really got into. Didn't even realize RB3 was coming a few days later, that's how much I stopped following the series.

With Bon Jovi coming I think we'll be playing for the next while.

I'll get the keyboard and pro guitar eventually, I played those instruments as a kid so I shouldn't have too much trouble getting into them.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
KernelPanic said:
I got burnt out and they were releasing crummy DLC (Miley Cyrus and Nickelback ugh).

Actually got back into RB2 because I saw they posted CCR and REM DLC which me and the wife really got into. Didn't even realize RB3 was coming a few days later, that's how much I stopped following the series.

With Bon Jovi coming I think we'll be playing for the next while.

I'll get the keyboard and pro guitar eventually, I played those instruments as a kid so I shouldn't have too much trouble getting into them.
did anyone who wasn't following music gaming pretty closely really know rb3 was coming out? :lol found out like a week ago and it totally took me by surprise

I am really hoping they start retro-fitting keyboards into songs. We played both Bulletproof and Tempted this past weekend and its ridiculous to not have keyboards for either.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
123rl said:
That's what I was asking. Are the charts based on (left to right) yellow>blue>green cymbal pattern or a blue>yellow>green pattern?

Yellow>Green>Blue. Yellow is typically hi-hat (which goes to your left), green is usually crash (which is typically above the toms and to the left, though there's lots of wiggle room there), and blue is usually ride (which is to the far right).

Although, the tradition of using blue for open hi-hat kinda screws everything up. So go with what's comfortable.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Here is the best cymbal setup.

Step 1: BUY FUCKING GORILLA TAPE!

Step 2: Use the two-pronged cymbal holder on the left side with one prong facing directly out, and the one-holder with a thicker base on the right side. Put the long one-holder that wraps around the metal part of the leg on the left side right under the two-pronged one and put gorilla tape all over that fucker to make sure it stays still. Like, seriously, get it all up in there.

Step 3: Yellow in the long one-holder all the way to the left using longest rod but get it so that the holder is grabbing it 1/3rd from the bottom. Gorilla tape that shit down! Blue in the two-pronged holder and just far enough away from the yellow that they won't run into each other. It'll be at a slightly lower height than the yellow, but that's good because it makes it easy to hit for the open hi-hats. Gorilla tape that shit down. Green goes on the right all by itself. It helps to keep it somewhat close to the ones on the left just so you don't have to move as much.

Step 4: Use more gorilla tape to tape a wash towel onto any that are double registering.

Step 5: Gorilla tape all that junk down more.

DO NOT. I REPEAT. DO NOT PUT YOUR GREEN TO THE LEFT OF YOUR BLUE! It might be more realistic, but its way fucking hard to play for some songs due to the open hi-hats. It also fucks with your mind and is harder to adjust to than it is worth.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
BobsRevenge said:
Here is the best cymbal setup.

Step 1: BUY FUCKING GORILLA TAPE!

Step 2: Use the two-pronged cymbal holder on the left side with one prong facing directly out, and the one-holder with a thicker base on the right side. Put the long one-holder that wraps around the metal part of the leg on the left side right under the two-pronged one and put gorilla tape all over that fucker to make sure it stays still. Like, seriously, get it all up in there.

Step 3: Yellow in the long one-holder all the way to the left using longest rod but get it so that the holder is grabbing it 1/3rd from the bottom. Gorilla tape that shit down! Blue in the two-pronged holder and just far enough away from the yellow that they won't run into each other. It'll be at a slightly lower height than the yellow, but that's good because it makes it easy to hit for the open hi-hats. Gorilla tape that shit down. Green goes on the right all by itself. It helps to keep it somewhat close to the ones on the left just so you don't have to move as much.

Step 4: Use more gorilla tape to tape a wash towel onto any that are double registering.

Step 5: Gorilla tape all that junk down more.

DO NOT. I REPEAT. DO NOT PUT YOUR GREEN TO THE LEFT OF YOUR BLUE! It might be more realistic, but its way fucking hard to play for some songs due to the open hi-hats. It also fucks with your mind and is harder to adjust to than it is worth.

got a pic?

and whats this 'open hihat' thing? does that change where the blue cymbal would go? i guess noobie drummers should look up how to set drums up - eg that youtube video of Smoke on the water has the drummer biased to the left of the set - whereas I just sit in the middle, as I have no idea otherwise.

Hop

mrklaw said:
and whats this 'open hihat' thing? does that change where the blue cymbal would go? i guess noobie drummers should look up how to set drums up - eg that youtube video of Smoke on the water has the drummer biased to the left of the set - whereas I just sit in the middle, as I have no idea otherwise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hi-hat

The hi-hat is a pair of cymbals. They're played closed- producing a really short clink sound, loose- producing a sweeping sort of sound, or open- producing a crashing sound.

The difference between closed and loose/open is obvious. You hear it. So, typically authors have pointed out the difference in the charts, putting closed on yellow and loose/open on blue. It changes where you'd put the RB cymbals only in that, realistically, those would both be on the same physical cymbal, but you can't represent that on the RB kit. So it's easier, if a little less realistic on the whole, to put blue right next to yellow.

Now, Smoke on the Water. That song uses what's called a disco beat, or a 16th beat. Those patterns are too fast for one hand to play, so the drummer will alternate their right and left hands on the hi-hats. Since your entire body is on the far left piece of the kit, you tend to bias over there. (A left-side bias is typical anyway, but disco beats really multiply it.) For the Rock Band kit, you should sit relatively centered, but just slightly off to the left. Not way over. It's too awkward to try and emulate the 'snare between the legs' positioning that a real kit tends towards.

Raistlin

FlightOfHeaven said:
So, exporting RB2 and LRB is safe now, right?
AstroLad said:
I'd like that, but says who?
For what it's worth, I had no issues exporting everything on Saturday night (RB 2, RB 2 bonus tracks, Green Day, and Lego)

Gowans007 said:
Lego Rockband export is STILL busted, just tried :(
It busted again? WTF?

Note: I did it for the PS3 rev. No idea if that matters.

Raistlin

KernelPanic said:
I need a new guitar as my RB1 Strat is getting old. The overdrive sensor is busted so I have to hit Select which means I'll miss notes unless it's a big lull in the song.

It least it worked at some point. I've never owned a guitar that worked accurately.

I'd miss notes swinging wildly when it decided to not work ... and then at other times (for the lulz, usually when there are no notes), overdrive would just decide to activate.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
does the pro mustang have the same calibration function that the five button guitar has?

This game is amazing. No way can I go back to RB2 after this, which is why there's an export option. The jump-in/jump-out is great, and the pause function (track actually rewinds) is awesome.

The manual sucks though.

Questions:
-Is there an actual band name, or is it just "[Profile of first one to join]'s Band"?
-Is there any significance in reviews?
-Did they remove "World Tour"?
-Can you sort DLC by something other than date?

Thoughts:
-Some of the venues seem VERY dark, to the point where you can barely see anything (only happens between songs).
-While playing a setlist, it would help to see which song is coming up (when you view the score of the song you just played)
-Occasional stutter but it seems to only happen in the background visuals, not the track
-Overdrive is a little too flashy
-If you drop in and out of a song, your score doesn't count (we ended up 1-starring a song because three of us swapped instruments and dropped in and out) :lol

Hop

Lone_Prodigy said:
Questions:
-Is there an actual band name, or is it just "[Profile of first one to join]'s Band"?

Go to Customize Band.
They affect random setlists. Higher ranking means more likely.
Yea, sorta. "Road Challenges" is the closest analogue.
Press Back. Tons of sorting options.

Lone_Prodigy said:
This game is amazing. No way can I go back to RB2 after this, which is why there's an export option. The jump-in/jump-out is great, and the pause function (track actually rewinds) is awesome.

The manual sucks though.

Questions:

Thoughts:
-Some of the venues seem VERY dark, to the point where you can barely see anything (only happens between songs).
-While playing a setlist, it would help to see which song is coming up (when you view the score of the song you just played)
-Occasional stutter but it seems to only happen in the background visuals, not the track
-Overdrive is a little too flashy
-If you drop in and out of a song, your score doesn't count (we ended up 1-starring a song because three of us swapped instruments and dropped in and out) :lol
the world tour esque challenges are under quickplay.

you can make a band name.
the band you play as in multiplayer will be the band of whoever joins first. you can't have more than one band per profile anymore though.
reviews effect how often songs come up under random setlists.

Merino

Going to pick this up, hopefully the 5th when the keyboard package is getting it´s (delayed) release in the Netherlands.

Kinda sucks that I'm therefor missing out on the free The Doors DLC but I really don't mind paying full price for that. In fact the inclusion of The Doors DLC, combined with the keyboard and pro-guitar mode is the sole reason I'm getting this game.
I have 0 problem spending almost 800 euro's for the game and all the instruments if that means I can play my favorite band of all time.

Do have 1 question though. I've got the GH3 and GH:WT Guitars here at home and I'm planning on getting the Squier when it comes out someday in 2011.
Are my GH3 and GH:WT guitars going to fill the job as standard controllers or should I get a Rock Band designed guitar like the Fender Strat in order to get the most out of playing?

Ridley327

The GH guitars work just fine. The only thing you'd be missing out by having them is one of the challenges that requires you to play a solo with the solo buttons that you would find on the Strat controllers or any of the Beatles guitars.

Yeef

Lone_Prodigy said:
That's an effect. A lot of people find it distracting, but personally it doesn't bother me. I think it'd probably be less distracting if it were only used in tandem with other effects.

Theoretically, other than affecting random setlists, your reviews will determine which songs are recommended to you if you have that feature enabled.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Charron said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hi-hat

The hi-hat is a pair of cymbals. They're played closed- producing a really short clink sound, loose- producing a sweeping sort of sound, or open- producing a crashing sound.

The difference between closed and loose/open is obvious. You hear it. So, typically authors have pointed out the difference in the charts, putting closed on yellow and loose/open on blue. It changes where you'd put the RB cymbals only in that, realistically, those would both be on the same physical cymbal, but you can't represent that on the RB kit. So it's easier, if a little less realistic on the whole, to put blue right next to yellow.

Now, Smoke on the Water. That song uses what's called a disco beat, or a 16th beat. Those patterns are too fast for one hand to play, so the drummer will alternate their right and left hands on the hi-hats. Since your entire body is on the far left piece of the kit, you tend to bias over there. (A left-side bias is typical anyway, but disco beats really multiply it.) For the Rock Band kit, you should sit relatively centered, but just slightly off to the left. Not way over. It's too awkward to try and emulate the 'snare between the legs' positioning that a real kit tends towards.

thanks for the explanation.

From a gamer, not a musician, wouldn't it be simpler to just have the one cymbal in the hi-hat position, and then just vary the sound it makes when you hit it, based on the note it should be in the song? Having two different cymbals in different locations isn't easy to play as a gamer, and is inaccurate for drummers.

for basic users it just does it automatically, for those with an extra pedal, you can use that to modify the sound the cymbal plays (and therefore you have to make sure you have it correct before you hit it)

The info I've seen shows that you can plug in one, two or three cymbals. What happens if you only plug two in - would that be a better setup considering the current software limitations?

Hop

mrklaw said:
thanks for the explanation.

From a gamer, not a musician, wouldn't it be simpler to just have the one cymbal in the hi-hat position, and then just vary the sound it makes when you hit it, based on the note it should be in the song? Having two different cymbals in different locations isn't easy to play as a gamer, and is inaccurate for drummers.

for basic users it just does it automatically, for those with an extra pedal, you can use that to modify the sound the cymbal plays (and therefore you have to make sure you have it correct before you hit it)

The info I've seen shows that you can plug in one, two or three cymbals. What happens if you only plug two in - would that be a better setup considering the current software limitations?

The philosophy across all Rock Band authoring is, different sounds get different colors. This is because different sounds mean different actions. Drums are most likely to fail realism when holding to this rule, for a few reasons. One, drum kits are complex- I have a fairly basic "full" kit, and there's 11 surfaces I can hit, half of which can produce radically different sounds based on how I hit them. The RB drums have 5 surfaces, and no ability to detect technique. Throw in Pro cymbals and it's 8. Two, I can arrange my real kit however the hell I want- hi-hat to the far right, snare practically over the kick, crash behind me for some odd reason? Fine. Can't do that with the RB kit.

Would it be simpler? Yes. Would it be as fun, or as representative? Dunno. Is the current setup optimal? Probably not. The hi-hat pedal addition would be incredibly welcome, if it meant pedal down = yellow cymbal plays yellow and pedal up = yellow cymbal plays blue. But the current setup works for the majority of cases, and fails gracefully in most of the other cases. It needed to be as general and generic as possible; picking up someone else's guitar isn't that strange, but sitting at someone else's drumkit can be a world of difference.

(And as for your question, not really. Nothing will change an open hi-hat from being on blue if that's how it's authored. Pro drums uses the exact same chart as regular drums, just with the tom markers thrown in.)

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
jhferry said:
What is the word on the harmonix songs?
We just know that they'll be coming as a DLC pack at a later date. No more information has surfaced, unfortunately.

123rl

Thanks for the advice guys. I played quite a bit tonight and I think I'm happy with yellow just above the yellow pad, blue on the higher stand and green just below it - with the blue roughly parrallel to the yellow and the green on the side. I went through about 18 songs on Pro (hard and expert) and loved every one of them.

The best thing about it is that I was stuck in a rut between hard (too easy) and expert, which I could handle as long as it wasn't Everlong-speed rolls. Now, hard mode is a challenge again and finishing basic expert songs feels like a challenge again

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
allegate said:
So is the audio glitch the one where it sounds like clicking/you're missing notes? Because I kept getting that while playing and it was driving me batty.
I haven't encountered this yet. Weird.

Aspiring said:
does anybody know why it keeps telling me "connecting to Rock Central servers" and i cant see any leaderboards? Im on PS3.
Probably because the Rock Central servers are still unreliable during certain times. You'd think the servers would be working properly now, but nope.

chunk3rvd

Having a bit of trouble with the RB2 export (PS3)

I put the manual code into the site on Friday, then stupidly put the code from that into the main PS3 store the same day. The code was accepted but then I just got a screen saying thanks or something

I picked up RB3 on Saturday, went to the redeem code section and as I suspected, my code was now invalid. Luckily though, I got home from work today and under the "redeem code" option I had the "purchase rock band 2 option" so my code must have gone through eventually. I paid the £4.99 for the export but when I try to download it I get the message "No content was found". Anyone had or heard of a similar problem? I'm in the UK on a PAL copy

fernoca

So I redeemed the Rock Band 2 code, but I'm waiting till Wednesday to put some Microsoft Points. So far, the code stays redeemed; does it always stay like that or would I need to put the code again, in a few days?

Raistlin

So ... I broke down and got the keyboard. Just can't wait for the MIDI adapter :lol. Sucks I can't try it out until Thursday night or so.

As an anecdote, I tried Walmart as recommended. They had nothing (I'm pretty sure they didn't get any in). Went to a Best Buy ... tons for all 3 systems.

Charron said:
The philosophy across all Rock Band authoring is, different sounds get different colors. This is because different sounds mean different actions. Drums are most likely to fail realism when holding to this rule, for a few reasons. One, drum kits are complex- I have a fairly basic "full" kit, and there's 11 surfaces I can hit, half of which can produce radically different sounds based on how I hit them. The RB drums have 5 surfaces, and no ability to detect technique. Throw in Pro cymbals and it's 8. Two, I can arrange my real kit however the hell I want- hi-hat to the far right, snare practically over the kick, crash behind me for some odd reason? Fine. Can't do that with the RB kit.

Would it be simpler? Yes. Would it be as fun, or as representative? Dunno. Is the current setup optimal? Probably not. The hi-hat pedal addition would be incredibly welcome, if it meant pedal down = yellow cymbal plays yellow and pedal up = yellow cymbal plays blue. But the current setup works for the majority of cases, and fails gracefully in most of the other cases. It needed to be as general and generic as possible; picking up someone else's guitar isn't that strange, but sitting at someone else's drumkit can be a world of difference.

(And as for your question, not really. Nothing will change an open hi-hat from being on blue if that's how it's authored. Pro drums uses the exact same chart as regular drums, just with the tom markers thrown in.)

I believe traditional e-drum support for high hat is possible with the MIDI adapter (pedal to control open/close).

Raistlin

vermadas said:
I would be pissed if I spent more than $20 on the stage kit. Looks like HMX are not patching in support for it in RB3. Pretty damn lame if you ask me, especially since they promised support for it at E3 (or was it PAX? I remember reading it here somewhere.)

While it sucks, particularly if they stated they planned to support it ... it's a 3rd party peripheral that is out of production.

I don't think pitchforks are warranted.

Top Bottom