• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 3 |OT|

Aspiring

Dacvak said:
AHHHHHHHH!!!!!

I got my Pro Guitar in, and JESUS LORD IT'S SO FUCKING AMAZING.

Seriously. This thing is a fucking godsend for people trying to get guitar chords down. And it's too damn fun. I'm only able to pass a few songs on Expert, but that's totally cool with me, cause I totally suck balls at guitar typically.

Man, this game is fucking golden.

That is just so amazing, im gla to hear! I CANNOT wait to get mine.

remz

Dacvak said:
AHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Seriously. This thing is a fucking godsend for people trying to get guitar chords down. And it's too damn fun. I'm only able to pass a few songs on Expert, but that's totally cool with me, cause I totally suck balls at guitar typically.

The ones with the buttons and shit, yeah? Damn. I want it!

what do you guys do to combat the vocal lag in the game? i know every tv is different but im having some difficulty getting it tuned right! there is enough of a delay to be noticeable

Zomg, just did the endless setlist. Didn't do it for RB2 (no pause achievement fuck that). Nearly had a heart attack during the Freebird solo (and some other song) where I was THIS close to failing. Thank god you can restart at an easier setting:lol

Dacvak said:
AHHHHHHHH!!!!!

I wonder if they're gonna release some special tutorials or something when they release the uh 'real' guitar next year. I really wanna get that and see if i can actually learn to play guitar at least at not so shitty level.

brian

I got my pro guitar today and it is really amazing. Once you get used to the charting, it is actually pretty clever and intuitive. It's still hard to get adjusted to coming from tabs, but I think it will come with practice. I was able to do a decent job sightreading the first couple of tiers on expert after a day of playing.

If you play guitar, you will love this game. As anyone playing Pro Keys probably knows, they do a really good job of breaking down the songs in training mode. It's just a ton of fun learning how to play songs with the game. The charting is phenomenal and you'll learn how to play songs as they are actually played... much closer to the real thing than most tabs you will find. I hope it takes off, because I will spend a lot of money on this for as long as they keep releasing stuff.

Really digging the keys. Just starting to get into pro keys on hard and it's starting to get really satisfying. In the earlier difficulties it can be a little odd hearing so many notes you aren't playing.

But yeah, it really clicked when I played Blue Monday on hard. Sooo fun. It's nice to start out at the bottom of the difficulty curve again. Especially after plateauing on drums and guitar months and months ago.

I crave keys dlc now though. I'm afraid I'm gonna go back to buying dlc at the rate I was around rb1/2. It'll be interesting to see the support hmx has lined up.

Shaneus

Dacvak said:
AHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Would you say it's worth getting if I never really got into hard/expert with a regular guitar?

brian

I should add that the only thing I really don't like about the pro guitar is the lack of bends. That is a huuuge part of playing solos, and solos are a lot easier they probably should be. It really affects the feel of soloing in the game, and it doesn't really feel natural a lot of the time. In some ways it's probably a good thing, though, because the game would be fucking hard and probably sloppier overall f bending was included.

remz

bathala said:
I was thinking of skipping the mustang and just get the squire.
hmmm, yeah, me too. but then I wasn't sure if I wanted to fork out the cash for another real guitar when I already have like... 3 hanging around here. the mustang kind of sits in a pleasant cost middleground where I can kinda justify the purchase.

Aspiring

remz said:
hmmm, yeah, me too. but then I wasn't sure if I wanted to fork out the cash for another real guitar when I already have like... 3 hanging around here. the mustang kind of sits in a pleasant cost middleground where I can kinda justify the purchase.

From all impressions though, the Mustang is just like a real guitar in terms of playing. Sure there are no strings, but if you already have a guitar i dont see the point in buying the Squier. Just pick up your guitar and play the notes on screen to learn the songs. You want to get scored, plug in the Mustang.

Hige

Do band multipliers affect your ability to earn solo gold stars? I just got gold stars on my sightread of Crazy Train on drums. :lol I didn't do bad, but I didn't think it was a gold star performance, even considering RB3's increased overdrive system. The band was actually synchronizing overdrive use so the multiplier was often 6x or 8x.

brian said:
I got my pro guitar today and it is really amazing. Once you get used to the charting, it is actually pretty clever and intuitive. It's still hard to get adjusted to coming from tabs, but I think it will come with practice. I was able to do a decent job sightreading the first couple of tiers on expert after a day of playing.
There's supposed to be an option in the pop-up menu for pro guitar to turn on tab notation. Have you tried that out?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
remz said:

Honestly the delay and the lack of a firm price has me a bit worried about the Squier. I was willing to make the move because I have a shitty copy of a Fender that I bought in a starter kit, so I didn't mind replacing it... but if this thing ends up costing 400 bucks, I can't really justify that.

remz

From all impressions though, the Mustang is just like a real guitar in terms of playing. Sure there are no strings, but if you already have a guitar i dont see the point in buying the Squier. Just pick up your guitar and play the notes on screen to learn the songs. You want to get scored, plug in the Mustang.
Well that's the thing, I already know how to play, I just want the Pro experience in game. so like, I'm thinking the mustang would be pretty sweet.

i also find the squier a little.... I dunno, excessive? I can't imagine doing much else with it then playing RB and a little practice around home. I sort of don't like the idea of carrying that kind of gear with it's fancy game sensors and what not around to a gig or whatever, esp. not in place of another guitar

ahvostik

Where did everybody buy their Mustangs from?

I pre-ordered one from www.gameshark.com yesterday and now they're showing some in stock for the 360... so hopefully they begin processing my order tomorrow and ship it out by Wed.

I went ahead and paid extra for 2 day shipping so I'm praying I have it by Friday. I took off work (I have a bunch of vacation days to use before the end of the year).

DO WANT / NEED the pro-guitar.

Like a lot of other people have been saying. I already own an electric guitar so the button guitar is in a nice middle-ground price wise. :) I can't wait!

I cant do more than a few chords on a real guitar, so I am excited about pro mode. The only thing that is stopping me from ordering a Mustang is that it is buttons. One thing I am having issues learning with an actual guitar is finger placement and NOT hitting other strings with my fingers by accident. I am worried that the buttons on the Mustang arent going to help me stop doing that.

Are they actually buttons, or just touch sensors, or both? The Mustang is expensive enough, and learning some on that then going to my cheap guitar I already own sounds decent enough.

Please, those with the 'stang post pics and detailed impressions.

Aspiring

remz said:
Well that's the thing, I already know how to play, I just want the Pro experience in game. so like, I'm thinking the mustang would be pretty sweet.

i also find the squier a little.... I dunno, excessive? I can't imagine doing much else with it then playing RB and a little practice around home. I sort of don't like the idea of carrying that kind of gear with it's fancy game sensors and what not around to a gig or whatever, esp. not in place of another guitar

Well than sounds like the Mustang is for you. I too have a guitar so there really is no point downgrading to a Squier and from all reports the Mustang recreates a real guitar very good. And i too just want to experience it.

Anyway you on 360 or PS3? Would be great to have some Aus gaffers to play with.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
YES! Found the single copy my local Saturn had received. Two questions: is the European RB2-export-key generator up yet? How much does the export cost in EuroPS3-land?

legend166

Aspiring said:
Well than sounds like the Mustang is for you. I too have a guitar so there really is no point downgrading to a Squier and from all reports the Mustang recreates a real guitar very good. And i too just want to experience it.

Anyway you on 360 or PS3? Would be great to have some Aus gaffers to play with.

Join us in the AusGAF thread!

We've got some players there.

Jordan

Hey guys,

Game arrived yesterday and I absolutely love it. Loving the career at the moment.

I haven't ever played a guitar in my life, I have no idea how to play one. Would getting a Pro-Guitar be an awful mistake or would it be a nice learning curve considering I love playing the normal guitar?

Also, are the Keytars worth it? I can play the keyboard a little, though I would probably get confused by moving the octave up and down.

Any suggestions,

can you use the Pro Guitar as a "5 button" guitar? Was wondering if they made it so that "any of the 6 buttons in fret 1 count as green" or something like that, and be able to switch between regular and pro mode without changing guitars.

neorej said:
YES! Found the single copy my local Saturn had received. Two questions: is the European RB2-export-key generator up yet? How much does the export cost in EuroPS3-land?
Key generator is up but you'll only dl a key (100 KB). I guess we'll have to wait for an update or another download because for now I still don't have any of the RB 2 tracks listed in my RB 3 tracklist.
Also the key is 7,99€.

I hope EA and Harmonix will give us answers soon because I really liked the RB 2 tracks and I still play them a lot.

Aspiring

soul creator said:
can you use the Pro Guitar as a "5 button" guitar? Was wondering if they made it so that "any of the 6 buttons in fret 1 count as green" or something like that, and be able to switch between regular and pro mode without changing guitars.

On the Mustang only. The Squier no, but the Mustang yes, although from peoples impressions it not really that good due to the frets being bigger and more spaced apart.

Raistlin

Gaming Truth said:
My lefty friend is trying to play with his left hand. It involves the keyboard being shifted extremely to the left. Of course, with the keytar arm on the left side, it doesn't balance very well, nor feel very good to play.

Good thing you learned to be normal like the rest of us! :lol

Let me detail what I meant, because your friend is doing what I suspected ... and it ain't 'lefty'.

Lefty guitar, bass, or drums refers to a mirror image - you literally reverse the instrument. The effect is that everything remains the same relative to your dominant thumb for example. With the guitar, this does not simply mean you turn it up-side down ... you actually reverse the strings as well. With drums, you literally reverse the entire kit. etc

Now think about a piano for a minute. It is an instrument that requires two hands for practical use. Flaring your hands out at a standard position, lower notes descend from your left pinky ... higher notes ascend from your right pinky. In this construct, there is no 'handedness' regardless of which hand you are more comfortable or dexterous with.

Open up the piano and look inside. Basically what you have are a bunch of strings being hit by hammers 1:1 with the keys. This is why I jokingly asked, 'what are you going to do, string it backwards'? To have an actual 'lefty' piano you would, as with the other instruments, literally mirror everything. The piano would be strung in reverse such that higher notes descended from your left pinky while lower frequencies ascended from your right pinky.

Obviously a keyboard is simply a smaller piano, but the same rules apply. You hit it on the head when stating your friend is shifting the keyboard. That's exactly what he's doing ... which is not playing 'lefty'. The reason I differentiate - take a look at the Yes Roundabout video. What is your friend going to do when he's playing the songs that require two hands? I've never seen a piano strung backwards. I'm sure someone has done it, but it is certainly not a common practice. The point here is that regardless of which hand is dominant, basically all piano players play the same way. Sure they may choose which hand to use for parts only requiring one hand ... but the illusion falls apart once you require both.

Axiom

Has PAL Rock Band 2 export been fixed yet? I need to know if I need to get back onto EA support.

3 days to Australia for a keyboard is too damn tempting.

Shaneus

Anyone know if RB3 for 360 is multi-region? I'm pretty sure the DLC/exporting wouldn't be that bad (afaik it's really only PS3 that's finicky with that stuff) it's just actually playing it I'm concerned with.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Raistlin said:
take a look at the Yes Roundabout video. What is your friend going to do when he's playing the songs that require two hands? I've never seen a piano strung backwards. I'm sure someone has done it, but it is certainly not a common practice. The point here is that regardless of which hand is dominant, basically all piano players play the same way. Sure they may choose which hand to use for parts only requiring one hand ... but the illusion falls apart once you require both.

I thought the keytar was right hand only? Do you have to also play it with both hands? (sorry if its a muppet question)

Ridley327

Varna said:
This is false. Granted their are slow downs but the game does achieve 60 FPS pretty consistently. I am a frame-rate whore I know the difference.

It doesn't even look like an effect. The animations just start skipping. It's just awful.
Technically, the game is always 60 fps because the highways are 60 fps, but the backgrounds update at most at 30 fps because of the way they implement lighting and the mild motion blur. This is how they've done every single Rock Band to date, although they didn't make the switch to 30 fps backgrounds until Beatles and Green Day. Trust me, I'm a gigantic framerate whore myself.

There's actually a common compiling glitch for RBN when played in Rock Band 2 where the introduction of the song has some effects turned off and the background runs at 60 fps, but with a lot of tearing, just like the breaks in playlists when it pans around the crowd and to the stage.

BigDug13

Hige said:
Do band multipliers affect your ability to earn solo gold stars? I just got gold stars on my sightread of Crazy Train on drums. :lol I didn't do bad, but I didn't think it was a gold star performance, even considering RB3's increased overdrive system. The band was actually synchronizing overdrive use so the multiplier was often 6x or 8x.

There's supposed to be an option in the pop-up menu for pro guitar to turn on tab notation. Have you tried that out?
I've never even played guitar and yet that was the first option I turned on. If I'm learning a real instrument, I might as well learn with real tabs and not weird finger fret humps.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Axiom said:
Has PAL Rock Band 2 export been fixed yet? I need to know if I need to get back onto EA support.

PAL PS3 Rock Band 2 export page is working again and the export file is now on PSN.
Downloading right now..

A tip for people like me who already dl the key.
Go in your PSN Store historic page and you should see a 1,9 GB file. Just dl this file and everything should work nice.

Rewrite said:
RAGE.

That shit is awful, man.

I think I finally managed to calibrate my guitar perfectly so I'm not missing as much notes now. The transparency still sucks, but guitar has finally become playable. Thank god.

Seriously, what is up with the calibration? I did the manual calibration just like I did in RB2 (which worked perfectly there) and it's not even close to right. Then I copied the numbers I had in RB2 since they were perfect, and they're way off in RB3.

I just keep trying random numbers and I have it pretty good now, but still not as dead on as RB2. Frustrating.

TheExodu5

Banned
Kind of sucks that the highways have no anti-aliasing on the PS3. The pro keyboard highway looks awful. Not a deal breaker, but still kind of shitty. I would have picked up the game on the 360, but it's hard to justify buying DLC and peripherals again.

peetfeet

navanman said:
PAL PS3 Rock Band 2 export page is working again and the export file is now on PSN.
Downloading right now..
Do we need to pay any extra if we already have the key and only paid 95p for it? :D

Raistlin

mrklaw said:
I thought the keytar was right hand only? Do you have to also play it with both hands? (sorry if its a muppet question)

lol did you read my post? Also, did you bother watching the vid? You're killing me :D

Yes if you are going to define it that way, in keytar mode it is 'right handed'.

For songs that require two hands, it would be pretty difficult to use as a keytar. You'll need to put it on a stand/table/lap.

Axiom

Okay so they tell me they are apparently out of PAL PS3 Rock Band 2 export codes, but on the bright side I think I learned I can call the states for free.

So bonus.

Raistlin

Axiom said:
Okay so they tell me they are apparently out of PAL PS3 Rock Band 2 export codes, but on the bright side I think I learned I can call the states for free.

So bonus.

I don't understand. How can they be 'out' of export codes? Are they reneging on the capability to export at this point?

I had no problems with RB2/LRB export.

So now I'm just waiting on my Harmonix Pack, the RBN Megamix, and I'll be up to 386 songs.

Loving the new interface, the art, just everything. Hell, I can actually access the store in game now!

Axiom

Raistlin said:
I don't understand. How can they be 'out' of export codes? Are they reneging on the capability to export at this point?
I was taken aback too, but the guy offered to CALL AUSTRALIA when they had one and offered an EAStore coupon (which I'm pretty sure I won't be able to use anyway, but ya know) so they bought me off for today.

Considering nobody bought PAL Rock Band 3 but me and the other PAL dudes in this thread, the concept that they'd be out blows my mind

Raistlin

Axiom said:
I was taken aback too, but the guy offered to CALL AUSTRALIA when they had one and offered an EAStore coupon (which I'm pretty sure I won't be able to use anyway, but ya know) so they bought me off for today.

Considering nobody bought PAL Rock Band 3 but me and the other PAL dudes in this thread, the concept that they'd be out blows my mind

It just doesn't make sense. From inception, the design is that there is a 1:1 export token per unique ID (each game has a unique ID). So the concept of a limited pool is a non-starter.

Is it saying that it is no longer available? Implying it was already used previously?

Ark Malmeida

Neo Member
MBison said:
Wait hold up, so regarding Lego Rock Band. I just bought a brand new copy. I might have trouble using the export code?

Yup. I did the same and got burned because when I entered the code on their website it said that they were out of tokens. Entering it now gives a message saying the code was already claimed.

So now I'm forced to deal with support. I've gone back and forth with them for almost a week now and haven't heard anything since Sunday night.

bounchfx

wait, so if there's only 17 frets on the Mustang how do you play solos on songs like Rainbow in the Dark and Freebird?

surely there are some songs higher than the 17th fret? I go pretty high on my actual guitar fairly often :\

Top Bottom