• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 3 |OT|

firehawk12

Subete no aware
2&2 said:
I pretty pleased w/ the price and will probably jump on board. I've always wanted to have an electric to mess around with. I was expecting 350 or so. Heck, the RB2 guitar with a Fender body was 300 MSRP.

Well, remember you need to buy the 50 dollar midi adapter as well.

Roarer

I was going to get the Squier no matter the price, so I'm just happy they've set a date.

Of course, I have no hopes for a European release (nothing on the EU site yet) and now have a few months to mentally prepare myself for the exorbitant shipping fees I'll most likely have to pay...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
BenjaminBirdie said:
For it to work with the game? It's not just a wireless controller?

Yeah, you need it if you want to use it to play RB3. Not a big deal if you're already getting it to play drums or keyboard, but it's still an extra 50 bucks.

ahvostik

firehawk12 said:
Yeah, you need it if you want to use it to play RB3. Not a big deal if you're already getting it to play drums or keyboard, but it's still an extra 50 bucks.

it's $30 on Amazon.

and $40 MSRP. Not sure where "50 bucks" is coming from. $_$

ahvostik

the platform agnostic thing actually makes a lot of sense.

While it sucks the guitar is really $40-$50 more than $280 ... it's still understandable.

Roarer

ahvostik said:
the platform agnostic thing actually makes a lot of sense.

Totally. This is being made by Fender themselves right? Now they only have to put out one SKU and make every guitar on the same production line. Probably saves them licensing costs to the console manufacturers as well, as I guess that's covered by the MIDI-box.

That is cheaper than I thought it would be. Glad it finally has a release date. I was starting to consider the Mustang, but I figure I will probably just sell my current electric guitar to get the Squire.

BenjaminBirdie said:
So that regular guitar would be $250 usually?
I think so. I remember someone from HMX saying it was based on a $250 body so it will cost more than that when asked about what the price was going to be. I can't seem to find a link to the interview though.

Raistlin

Wired All Wrong said:
The Squier is based on a $250 body. I think that's all we know about it.
And you heard this where? I call bull shit.

No way the up charge for the custom neck (fret sensing), swap out to a MIDI pickup, and extra electronics is $30.

Maybe $250 MSRP guitar :p

corkscrewblow said:
And?

Squier has practically dozens of models. Let me put it this way ... if it is derived from that turd, I'll be sending mine back :lol

Hey, someone mentioned something about getting the 20 free songs from Harmonix. What was that all about?

It includes stuff like The Main Drag, right?

Raistlin said:
And you heard this where? I call bull shit.

No way the up charge for the custom neck (fret sensing), swap out to a MIDI pickup, and extra electronics is $30.
Someone from Harmonix said that in an interview. I think it was John Drake. I can't find the interview right now though.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
FlightOfHeaven said:
Hey, someone mentioned something about getting the 20 free songs from Harmonix. What was that all about?

It includes stuff like The Main Drag, right?

When RB2 came out, new copies had a one-use code that let you download a batch of 20 free songs, ranging from Semi-Precious Weapons, The 88, Between the Buried and Me, The Len Price 3, and a bunch of other random groups.

I'm downloading the RB2 songs now. Entered the code from my PAL RB2 into the site and got a code, redeemed it and was given the option to buy the set. Playstation 3 version.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Raistlin said:
And?

Squier has practically dozens of models. Let me put it this way ... if it is derived from that turd, I'll be sending mine back :lol

If you're a guitarist and have good guitars, wouldn't you be more interested in this being a good game peripheral with proper stringed frets? So the ultimate quality of it as an actual guitar would be less relevant as you'll have others you play for that.

If you don't have other guitars, then this should be a decent entry into that. Maybe Fender are pricing it competitively to encourage the massive userbase of guitar gamers out there to take up a real instrument? It could potentially increase sales of proper guitars (and by extension amps, music etc) quite a bit.

Although if its a MIDI guitar too wouldn't that potentially eat into higher priced models? Wonder if its gimped in some way for that

Raistlin

Wired All Wrong said:

And that really says very little. MSRP's on Fenders are all over the place.

The more I look at it, I'm wondering what 'based on $$$ body' even means. I'm stuck in a hotel and my connection is BRUTAL ... so someone will have to do some more legwork. But from what little I can search for, I'm not sure what this would even be based on? This is before considering the fact that the body isn't the long-pole here ... the neck is. That said ...

• Most strats have a tremolo - that's in part what they're famous for (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whammy_bar). Is this a custom bridge?
  • Most strats use a 3 single-coil pickup design, or alternatively a humbucker on the bridge with a neck and mid single-coil. Again, it's kind of famous for it, and how it gets it's tones. This is one single coil on the neck and a MIDI in the bridge position ... non-selectable. Expect this thing to need some taming and have little tone customization when used with an amp.
  • The neck looks like a conventional maple neck, but we know it isn't. It has fret sensing - who knows what impact that could have?

I'm not trying to put this down, but I'm trying to point out that what body they used makes practically no difference here. The long pull for sound/tone is going to always be neck and pickups ... big unknowns at this point.

So the question is ... who's going to start modding their's first? :lol

vehn

lego rock band 3 export just worked for me on ps3 (I went on a binge and bought rb, rb2, and lrb as I just jumped in with rb3). GDRB once the price goes down!

DodgerSan

vehn said:
lego rock band 3 export just worked for me on ps3 (I went on a binge and bought rb, rb2, and lrb as I just jumped in with rb3). GDRB once the price goes down!

Just tried on 360, says out of tokens.

Complete farce.

canada gamestop says they are shipping today online but then I called the store and they said they wont have them for a few weeks. Anyone know whats up in canada?

Raistlin

mrklaw said:
If you're a guitarist and have good guitars, wouldn't you be more interested in this being a good game peripheral with proper stringed frets? So the ultimate quality of it as an actual guitar would be less relevant as you'll have others you play for that.
Just because I have a guitar collection doesn't mean I want to buy a turd. Using it only for games is a bit steep at nearly $300. That said, the built in MIDI makes it useful ... assuming the action isn't garbage.

What can I personally see myself using it for? My buddy that's most into RockBand also happens to have a drum set in his party/jam room. This guitar will be amazingly convenient for such a scenario. I can easily switch between RockBand and actual jamming simply by switching chords. Huge advantage for me - and part of the reason I'm biting :)

If you don't have other guitars, then this should be a decent entry into that. Maybe Fender are pricing it competitively to encourage the massive userbase of guitar gamers out there to take up a real instrument? It could potentially increase sales of proper guitars (and by extension amps, music etc) quite a bit.
I'm sure this is their thinking. I get why they are doing this ... but I can bitch about it :p

Although if its a MIDI guitar too wouldn't that potentially eat into higher priced models? Wonder if its gimped in some way for that
I don't think Fender makes any MIDI guitars ... the MIDI Fenders are 3rd party mods? Either way, they are catering to an entirely different audience - so I don't see it eating into anything. They are typically American Fenders ... we're talking some dough here. Even if they are Mexican or Japanese, they're still in a class above Squier ... certainly in another price class (I'd put my classic vibe's against a lot of lower end Fenders though). Someone looking at a Fender MIDI probably wouldn't even think of playing a Squier, particularly a low-end Squier.

It certainly does make for a good entry level MIDI guitar though, and that's a market that's fairly untapped as far as I know. You can make a MIDI guitar pretty cheaply (buy a Squier, throw in a MIDI pickup in it, drill/dremel the MIDI IO out the body, buy/mod a faceplate to fit the pickup and any controls you add, etc) ... but this obviously makes it easier for those that prefer to avoid DIY.

if you don't like tinkering with things, you're just weird in my book ;)

Raistlin

vehn said:

Heh, join the club :)

I haven't bought a new RB since the original. When I ordered RB3, I also order RB2, Lego RB, GreenDay, and AC/DC :p

OCDBuzz

Official response to Lego Rock Band Export Issues:

http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?206553-Lego-Rock-Band-Export-for-Xbox360-Currently-Unavailable-%28but-will-be-soon!%29&p=4148008#post4148008

"Hey gang,

Due to overwhelming demand, we’ve temporarily run out of Lego: Rock Band redemption tokens for Xbox 360. We’re really happy so many of you were excited to bring songs from LRB over into Rock Band 3 and we’re doing our best to get new tokens set up for redemption as quickly as possible. Stay tuned to this thread and watch @RockBand on twitter for updates. We'll be responding to everyone via Redemption@RockBand.com shortly, but HMXcj and I will be updating this thread to reach as many people as possible. Sorry again for the inconvenience and thanks for your patience! "

Shaneus

So, anyone have tips for Australians getting the RB keyboard from Amazon? It says it can't ship to my address :/
Also says that for the portable MadCatz drums, but I'm less concerned with those.

Sh0k

For anyone looking for a cheap RB2 guitar, I just picked up a Beatles RB Gretsch guitar with the calibration sensor for $29.99 at Toys R Us

Najaf

I'm in for one Squier. I'm debating on holding off on RB3 until I get it. Surely there will be a price drop by then, maybe on the keyboard bundle too.

Charron said:
When RB2 came out, new copies had a one-use code that let you download a batch of 20 free songs, ranging from Semi-Precious Weapons, The 88, Between the Buried and Me, The Len Price 3, and a bunch of other random groups.

I am aware, but I thought there were, like, 20 songs from RB2 that didn't make it over that were going to be patched in again or something. Thought they might be the same songs.

Najaf said:
I'm in for one Squier. I'm debating on holding off on RB3 until I get it. Surely there will be a price drop by then, maybe on the keyboard bundle too.

not that i'm trying to get you to spend more money or anything, but there is plenty of fresh content in RB3 to justify the cost. The keyboards are way more challenging that I thought they would be before I got the game, it's kind of nice to be starting over difficulty-wise.

I am aware, but I thought there were, like, 20 songs from RB2 that didn't make it over that were going to be patched in again or something. Thought they might be the same songs.

9 of the 20 didn't make it over and will be offered as free DLC

Top Bottom