• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 3 |OT|

Axiom

Raistlin said:
It just doesn't make sense. From inception, the design is that there is a 1:1 export token per unique ID (each game has a unique ID). So the concept of a limited pool is a non-starter.

Is it saying that it is no longer available? Implying it was already used previously?

I needed a replacement code as my Rock Band 2 had been stolen ages back, they'd given me some via chat support previously but they never worked as they were for the American PSN (which took a while to figure out as I'd specified what region I needed).

I decided to ring support today as people had reported faster results (I always put it off due to assumed international dialing cost) and I got that response from the operator after being on hold for a while.
Everyone has been ultra-polite though.

I guess I should appreciate them trying to save me some money, but playing 'random' just ain't random enough when I know the whole suite I could have, isn't available.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
megashock5 said:
Seriously, what is up with the calibration? I did the manual calibration just like I did in RB2 (which worked perfectly there) and it's not even close to right. Then I copied the numbers I had in RB2 since they were perfect, and they're way off in RB3.

I just keep trying random numbers and I have it pretty good now, but still not as dead on as RB2. Frustrating.
Interesting. The auto calibration using the Squire seems to be pretty damn good now. At least on the video (audio still feels a bit off).

I still haven't put in my LRB 360 code. Seems like nothing has changed since last week when the codes went dead.

If somebody on 360 has successfully exported LRB in the past two days, let me know.

Raistlin

Axiom,

I see. Well, at least they're being polite. In reality they don't have to help you I suppose. It isn't there fault the game was stolen or lost.

woodypop

Ark Malmeida said:
Yup. I did the same and got burned because when I entered the code on their website it said that they were out of tokens. Entering it now gives a message saying the code was already claimed.

So now I'm forced to deal with support. I've gone back and forth with them for almost a week now and haven't heard anything since Sunday night.
I'm in the same boat. I entered my code into the Web site on Saturday and got the message that they're out of tokens, which, yes, is absurd. Now I'm waiting to see when the damn process is fixed (by first-person accounts) so that I can try re-entering it, in order to avoid the "already claimed" message. But I honestly don't think that's gonna make much difference.

This situation is so f'ing stupid.

Raistlin

AstroLad said:
Interesting. The auto calibration using the Squire seems to be pretty damn good now. At least on the video (audio still feels a bit off).

I still haven't put in my LRB 360 code. Seems like nothing has changed since last week when the codes went dead.

wut

Axiom

Raistlin said:
Axiom,

I see. Well, at least they're being polite. In reality they don't have to help you I suppose. It isn't there fault the game was stolen or lost.
Yeah, I didn't expect to get anywhere, I really cannot fault EA's effort given I went into this thinking I had to jump through a billion hoops just to prove I had really owned it and they understood and have given me two codes already - even if they didn't work, they still took the time to figure out why.

It didn't stop me dropping $40 on DLC after all, I just want them to take the full $50.

I will still never understand the whole running out of digital inventory though.

AstroLad said:

[/b]

I'm using a GHWT Genericaster, so no auto. It worked beautifully with the manual calibration in 2, but in 3 zero calibration is more "on" than after going through the two settings. Very odd.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Axiom said:
Yeah, I didn't expect to get anywhere, I really cannot fault EA's effort given I went into this thinking I had to jump through a billion hoops just to prove I had really owned it and they understood and have given me two codes already - even if they didn't work, they still took the time to figure out why.

It didn't stop me dropping $40 on DLC after all, I just want them to take the full $50.

I will still never understand the whole running out of digital inventory though.
What's even funnier is that they still haven't fixed it and yet they're still allowing people to enter codes. What exactly is the endgame they have in mind here? Because they haven't really informed anyone.

ahvostik

demosthenes said:
Why does it seem like EA/Harmonix/whoever doesn't plan the launch of their Rock Band games very well. What the hell is going on?

it's because these games are often rushed out the door in order to get in stores before the Holiday season.

I suspect by Black Friday .... wait... crap... no... maybe a week after Black Friday you'll be able to find all the hardware in stores and also be able to export smoothly. But then again maybe not.

Also: I get this sneaking suspicion that if Dance Central wasn't coming out in a week Harmonix would be more on the ball with everything.

For those who hook up their keyboards to their computers: Will nabbing a cheap MIDI-USB cable from Amazon do the trick, or is there something specific I should be looking out for?

I'll be using a MacBook with Snow Leopard and GarageBand '09 if that matters. Bundle should be arriving tomorrow :D

woodypop

AstroLad said:
What's even funnier is that they still haven't fixed it and yet they're still allowing people to enter codes. What exactly is the endgame they have in mind here? Because they haven't really informed anyone.
I find that part particularly mind-boggling. A known problem exists, resulting in disgruntled customers. Why allow it to compound by keeping that Web page up?

So I finished this up last night. Still have 3-4 easy songs on the setlist to finish though.

Overall I really love everything about it, I don't think I will enjoy it as much as RB2 (perfect in almost every way imo) because RB3 doesn't have that "fresh" feeling that music games once had. Still, I'm going to lose hundreds (thousands?) of hours to this game. I think I might be able to FGFC once I figure out the way drum rolls work. Either I miss at the very beginning of them, or the very end. Really strange.

I will FC Llama one day. One day...

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
man of science said:
I was able to export both RB2 and LRB on the PS3 last night, no problems.
haven't really heard of people having ps3 export problems recently except isolated incidents

woodypop

man of science said:
I was able to export both RB2 and LRB on the PS3 last night, no problems.
Had you already exported LRB into RB2? Or did you do them individually into RB3?

Also, 360 user here. I'm wondering if the LRB export issue is relegated to 360 users?

Hige

For those having trouble getting the calibration settings just right, take a look at Harmonix's calibration guide. Specifically, the fine-tuning section. The tips are sort of obvious, but it helped me narrow down my calibration settings and I'm pretty content with it now. Just have to play through some songs in practice and test out the audio/video lag separately and hopefully you'll find the sweet spot.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
firehawk12 said:
Wait, I thought 360 exports were just inputting the code into marketplace?
LEGO has always been the convoluted website stuff. But for Rock Band 2, you can just enter the code from the back of the RB2 manual into the Rock Band 3 store.

Yeef

AvidNobody said:
I think I might be able to FGFC once I figure out the way drum rolls work. Either I miss at the very beginning of them, or the very end. Really strange.
Speaking of which, I know they have pro-instrument trainers, but I couldn't find any basic tutorials for the instruments like in the other games. I was hoping there would be something detailing the changes to drum rolls and trills.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yeef said:
Speaking of which, I know they have pro-instrument trainers, but I couldn't find any basic tutorials for the instruments like in the other games. I was hoping there would be something detailing the changes to drum rolls and trills.
Yes me too but they got rid of all the basic tutorials.

Yeah I really don't understand them. Sometimes I'm not even rolling fast enough on them (Llama, Beast and the Harlot) and I still hit it. But then I play Low Rider and miss it miserably.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Raistlin said:
lol did you read my post? Also, did you bother watching the vid? You're killing me :D

Yes if you are going to define it that way, in keytar mode it is 'right handed'.

For songs that require two hands, it would be pretty difficult to use as a keytar. You'll need to put it on a stand/table/lap.

sorry, its just that as a complete non-musician, there is often terminology used that conflicts with real words that normal people use :)

So, in words of one syllable, are you expected/encouraged to use both hands on the keyboard? That roundabout video did, but I don't know if thats how you're supposed to play it, or just how that guy managed.

The term 'right hand' sounds like you just use your right hand. But does it actually just mean the right hand section of the full piano and you still use both hands to actually play?

B-Dex

I got a response from lego rock band support saying my issue was escalated.... So pretty much a pointless email.

Hopefully they can just email me the code I should have received so I can finally PAY THEM more money lol.

mrklaw said:
sorry, its just that as a complete non-musician, there is often terminology used that conflicts with real words that normal people use :)

So, in words of one syllable, are you expected/encouraged to use both hands on the keyboard? That roundabout video did, but I don't know if thats how you're supposed to play it, or just how that guy managed.

The term 'right hand' sounds like you just use your right hand. But does it actually just mean the right hand section of the full piano and you still use both hands to actually play?

Not to be mean or anything, but when someone says "right hand" in real life do you ask if they mean "both of them?" :lol

The guy on the Roundabout video was using to hands because it's easier. RB3 and Keytars in general are meant to be played with your right hand...most often the melody hand in piano music. The problem comes in obviously since there is no such thing as left-handed or right-handed piano since its a two handed (or more :D ) instrument.

As for your one syllable answer no you are not expected or encouraged to play with both hands because none of the tutorials mention using two hands. If you are just playing for fun and don't care, do whatever you want. If you are actually interested in learning some basic piano skills, don't cheat yourself.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
thanks, thats the answer I needed. I guess I just got mixed up between 'right hand' but that video showing both hands, I didn't know which to follow - your response is nice and clear - I appreciate it.

Raistlin

AstroLad said:
sorry i meant the gretsch didn't even spell squier right :lol
I was going to put wut * 2 to be a dick originally :lol

AstroLad said:
haven't really heard of people having ps3 export problems recently except isolated incidents
So for once it isn't the PS3 being shat on? :eek:

mrklaw said:
Don't feel bad ... basically everyone is saying it that way. I was just prodding you since I posted that long rambling disaster explaining why I think it shouldn't be :p

I'd have to rewatch it, but from what I recall it's meant for both hands. Here's a general rule of thumb (there are plenty of exceptions, but whatever) ... if you need to keep shifting hand positions, it is likely meant for two hands. If you notice, many sections allow him to keep his two hands in a stationary position. That's how piano is meant to be played typically.

I'll have to see when I get home Thursday (I broke down and bought the keytar - can't wait for MIDI). But my initial impression is:
  • Many songs probably are just the melody, which is generally the right hand
  • If you use it with a strap, it is positioned similar to a right-handed guitar
  • Some of the controls are on the left which also makes using your right hand more typical
  • There do appear to be some songs that are mean for two hands. Until I can test with a strap, I'm not sure how viable it is to use in 'keytar mode'. I suspect you'll want to lay it down

Raistlin

Affeinvasion said:
The guy on the Roundabout video was using to hands because it's easier.
I'll have to test this ... that may not be the case.

RB3 and Keytars in general are meant to be played with your right hand...most often the melody hand in piano music. The problem comes in obviously since there is no such thing as left-handed or right-handed piano since its a two handed (or more :D ) instrument.
As I said ... you could string it backwards :p
Obviously no one does ... so as you say, there is no handedness which is what I was whining about

As for your one syllable answer no you are not expected or encouraged to play with both hands because none of the tutorials mention using two hands. If you are just playing for fun and don't care, do whatever you want. If you are actually interested in learning some basic piano skills, don't cheat yourself.
Interesting. I'll have to rewatch the Roundabout vid tonight. It didn't seem like it was obviously a one-hander. It would be easier to tell if it was sheet music :lol

I'm pretty positive the main melody is in fact meant for two hands, as are other parts. This based on watching Wakeman play it ... but it's been a while. I'm at work so I can't hit youtube. An easy way to find the answer would be to find some Wakeman footage. There should be from some of the recent tours.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
The new Rock Band Store is pretty good so far.
The artist A-B, C-E, etc.. sections work very well and make it much easier to navigate through the large number of available songs now.
The most annoying feature from Rock Band 2 has also been removed too; when you bought a song it used to wait a minute or two while it refreshed the store list.

Pro Keyboard makes me wish we had keyboard added into The Beatles, Hey Jude would be amazing.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
navanman said:
The new Rock Band Store is pretty good so far.
The artist A-B, C-E, etc.. sections work very well and make it much easier to navigate through the large number of available songs now.
The most annoying feature from Rock Band 2 has also been removed too; when you bought a song it used to wait a minute or two while it refreshed the store list.

Pro Keyboard makes me wish we had keyboard added into The Beatles, Hey Jude would be amazing.
I would pay a really nice price to play those songs in RB3. It's too bad the whole Beatles thing is totally dead in the water. :/

mrklaw

MrArseFace
er, what are you supposed to do when exporting RB2?

A few days ago, before my RB3 was delivered, I went to the website and entered my RB2 code - it returned me a new 12-digit code.

RB3 arrived today, so I booted it up, went to 'get more music' and redeem code. But even before I could enter a code, it had 'RB2 export', which I clicked on, purchased and started to download.

When I was on the website I was using my computer - I hadn't linked it to my account or anything. Have Harmonix just opened it up for anyone to purchase?

I like the setlist insert - makes browsing and making up a little wishlist for later purchase nice and easy.

Oh and can anyone help hook me up with a RB1? I need a US copy but I'm in the UK. I can either pay you, or send it back to you after.

Raistlin

mrklaw said:
er, what are you supposed to do when exporting RB2?

A few days ago, before my RB3 was delivered, I went to the website and entered my RB2 code - it returned me a new 12-digit code.

RB3 arrived today, so I booted it up, went to 'get more music' and redeem code. But even before I could enter a code, it had 'RB2 export', which I clicked on, purchased and started to download.

When I was on the website I was using my computer - I hadn't linked it to my account or anything. Have Harmonix just opened it up for anyone to purchase?

I like the setlist insert - makes browsing and making up a little wishlist for later purchase nice and easy.

Oh and can anyone help hook me up with a RB1? I need a US copy but I'm in the UK. I can either pay you, or send it back to you after.

Also remember to get the RB 2 bonus tracks. The instructions are on the back of the manual.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Raistlin said:
Also remember to get the RB 2 bonus tracks. The instructions are on the back of the manual.

oh, they still available? thought it might have been a time limited thing so I ignored it as I came late to it. Are they worth having?

edit: lol, code doesn't work. Maybe when you do the RB2 export webpage it screws the code up for the bonus tracks? (have to do the bonus ones first?)

Raistlin

mrklaw said:
oh, they still available? thought it might have been a time limited thing so I ignored it as I came late to it. Are they worth having?

edit: lol, code doesn't work. Maybe when you do the RB2 export webpage it screws the code up for the bonus tracks? (have to do the bonus ones first?)

Are you PS3 or 360? I can only speak to the PS3 rev. Go to account manager -> redeem code, and enter the e-mailed 12-digit code.

As to whether they are worth it, they aren't really bonus tracks - they're songs that would have normally been on the disc. EA did it this way to stem the used/pirate market iirc.

ahvostik

holy shit

Squier pricing!

Jan. 1 pre-order

Mar. 1 release

$279.99!~!!!!

stratocaster_img.png

ahvostik

My Mustang just shipped from Game Shark today but I don't care...

I don't mind paying $160 for four months worth of pro-guitar and pro-bass.

I'll probably end up buying the Squier anyway in March. :) Pretty epic price if you ask me.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Son of a bitch... makes me want to get it again. :(

Are they only selling it through mail order directly from them?

Not sure I'd want UPS or whomever to ship a guitar to me internationally...

ahvostik

I'm surprised no one else is commenting.

I've been wondering about the Squier pricing and release date info since I was born.

vg260

ahvostik said:
I'm surprised no one else is commenting.

I've been wondering about the Squier pricing and release date info since I was born.

I pretty pleased w/ the price and will probably jump on board. I've always wanted to have an electric to mess around with. I was expecting 350 or so. Heck, the RB2 guitar with a Fender body was 300 MSRP.

Top Bottom