• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 3 |OT|

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Big Ass Ramp said:
are they not making a regular plastic guitar to go with 3 like they did with 2?

Don't think they are in stores but Mad-Catz have a selection of different lead and bass guitar for sale through their website.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
navanman said:
Don't think they are in stores but Mad-Catz have a selection of different lead and bass guitar for sale through their website.

any particular one that stands out from the rest as far as quality is concerned?

edit: oh wow I guess their site is down

Hige

Aspiring said:
Werwolves Of London i think its called. Its the same keys throught the entire song from start until finish. Very easy.
butter_stick said:
Break On Through is very manageable on pro keys, but requires you to learn some sections. It's a great song to try to master. Other good ones are things like In The Meantime (not many chords), Something Bigger Something Brighter, Imagine and the Smiths/Cure songs (though they do sugar from long sections of nothing).
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check them out next time I'm on keys!

Flynn

grap3fruitman said:
The content's already exported to your HDD, shouldn't it be showing up in RB3 already? I can't check because I'm having a horrible experience with an online retailer getting my order. >=(

Nice. I guess I should have checked for individual songs to confirm.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Emerson said:
I would say Rehab, Need You Tonight, Been Caught Stealing, Don't Stand So Close to Me are all way worse songs than Portions for Foxes.

Wow.

I just played free Doors pack on keys with a guitar and oh my god, it's the best thing ever. Holy shit, I can't even imagine how awesome it would be playing it on the keyboard.

Shaneus

Aspiring said:
There is a million bands that should be in this but are still yet to have a single song. I mean really where the fuck is New Found Glory? Simple fun songs that are catchy and a lot of people and kids that play this game know!
More people know who Bloc Party are than New Found Whoever. At least, in the UK and Australia. Can't speak for the US but they've had songs featured in various US TV shows, movies and games (This Modern Love in HIMYM, Positive Tension in Forza 2) and I couldn't name a single song by those guys you mentioned.

Rewrite said:
Yup, you can!

Turn on All Instruments Mode and the option will become available to you.

Too late, i already embarrassed myself singing Imagine, to get the all songs objective.

But I'll check it, it may be fun. All Instruments Mode also allow you to use a guitar for the battery?

Sorry for this inevitably asked already question, but poor search, long thread, etc!

If I want to play keyboard, would I be better off getting the Rock Band keyboard, or are midi keyboards cheap/good enough to be a better investment?

(with the midi brain thing when that comes, obvs.)

Any keyboard recommendations appreciated, if you knows your stuffs.

Ok so I played the PSN demo and have a few questions/impressions:

- most importantly, why are there only 4 players for 4 instruments + 1-3 singers?!
Same thing with the ingame band, I only see 4 band members and some invisible person is finishing the track playing the keys, wth?

- I really like the new sorting options and other tweaks like the constant player "login" (with options to change the settings, to drop out etc.), no loading times etc.

- it's also nice that you can finally change the difficulty during a song, but why does it display no score? I guess it should not count for leaderboards, but it just feels strange playing w/o that feedback. Can't it just start from 0 once you change the difficulty (or better just add on top of the previous score)

- I was not really impressed by the gig presentation itself. At least in demo I can't really see a progression from RB2 (actually it felt less flashy/fun) or at least better graphics.

- I usually choose Normal for any instrument when I play with friends. I started this genre with RB2 and slowly starting to train hard mode when I play alone or in easy songs. They already started this with the RB Lego tracks, but why do they feel the need to add the orange button on the guitar to the normal difficulty.
I would say switching from 4 to 5 buttons is the hardest part of the guitar. I liked the differences between difficulty levels much more in RB2. QED: I just finished one of the songs, which I played only once before on normal, on extreme in the demo because it's basically just faster.
Maybe this change encourages more people to start playing on hard as they are already use to the 5 buttons, but many of my more casual friends can now only play easy mode which is too boring even for them.

- can you save&edit the custom setlists?

oh and I followed this thread a bit and wanted to make sure I got it right:

- you can play the keyboard part (of songs that support it) with any guitar, right? What about the pro keyboard part. Can you play it with the, normal guitar, the pro guitar or only the keyboard?

- can you use the keyboard for the guitar&bass parts in all songs? Can you use it also for the pro guitar/bass parts of the supported songs?

- do you need all 3 cymbals for the drums pro mode?

- Can you use the real guitar only for the pro mode and not for the normal guitar/bass parts?

- do you need 2-3 microphones for the harmony singing?

Ark Malmeida

Neo Member
mrklaw said:
its $10. but when I went to the RB3 store it didn't require a code, just my money.

I'm tempted by the squier. Only ever fiddled with a friends guitar while at school, but I can imagine the feel of proper strings over the frets would be quite different from the mustang's buttons. Or does the mustang still feel good?

I'm also thinking it could be good to get my son into playing an instrument. But that might apply to the pro drums too - he likes the drums as much as guitar at the moment. He's 9, so would there be any advantage to the mustang in terms of less pressure required on the frets and therefore a little easier to practice with?

My son started taking electric guitar lessons at 10 and he's managed just fine with it. Probably good to get the ol' fingers broken in and used to real strings at a young age.

SuperPac

So I tried one of the Harmonix pre-made keyboard battles and ranked #136 overall...and I was playing on medium and didn't do all that well. So I guess not many people are playing those, huh? (They're kind of hidden and dependent on you opening the Setlist menu.)

Also created a battle, added a description and got an error that the description "wasn't classy" and I needed to change it - like it had some curseword in it. Turns out the word "title" wasn't allowed in the description...I guess 'cuz it has "tit" in it? That seems like an odd word for the smut filter to flag.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Amneisac said:
So I'm guessing that the free Doors DLC is no longer free since it's after the 1st? Fucking delays.

I downloaded it yesterday just fine. The banner was gone though. I went into the music store, chose 'newest' and there was the doors special edition, and the three-track free pack too.

One small comment - I've been reading some complaints about the failstate of this game. However, Rockband 3 is definitely almost impossible to fail compared to Guitar Hero on Extreme. Basically as long as you manage to regularly hit a few correct notes, you'll be in the red all the time, but generally make it through the song regardless (even finishing at something like 60%). I think this is more than fine actually and anyone complaining about this should practice the section that stumps them ;).

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
SuperPac said:
So I tried one of the Harmonix pre-made keyboard battles and ranked #136 overall...and I was playing on medium and didn't do all that well. So I guess not many people are playing those, huh? (They're kind of hidden and dependent on you opening the Setlist menu.)

Also created a battle, added a description and got an error that the description "wasn't classy" and I needed to change it - like it had some curseword in it. Turns out the word "title" wasn't allowed in the description...I guess 'cuz it has "tit" in it? That seems like an odd word for the smut filter to flag.

that's like Sat@#day from PSO on dreamcast.

Yeah, definitely not a lot of pro key players out there, I broke into the top 20 for Everybody Wants to Rule to World and no one had gotten 100% yet on expert, it's a pretty easy song (considering I can actually finish it in expert).

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
So, Zavvi finally shipped my copy of RB3 (PS3). Is using the ingame store the only way to export RB2 songs? Do they get tied to my PSN account so I can eventually redownload them from the PS Store?
Also, how does All Instruments Mode work exactly btw?

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
SolidusDave said:
- most importantly, why are there only 4 players for 4 instruments + 1-3 singers?!
Same thing with the ingame band, I only see 4 band members and some invisible person is finishing the track playing the keys, wth?

I'm guessing engine limitations. Too many people runs the risk of slowdown. Why they didn't take the singing guitarist lessons they learned from Green Day and have a five-piece be drums/keys/bass/guitar+vox, I don't know.

SolidusDave said:
- I was not really impressed by the gig presentation itself. At least in demo I can't really see a progression from RB2 (actually it felt less flashy/fun) or at least better graphics.

It certainly looks different this time around, little less cartoony.

SolidusDave said:
- I usually choose Normal for any instrument when I play with friends. I started this genre with RB2 and slowly starting to train hard mode when I play alone or in easy songs. They already started this with the RB Lego tracks, but why do they feel the need to add the orange button on the guitar to the normal difficulty.
I would say switching from 4 to 5 buttons is the hardest part of the guitar. I liked the differences between difficulty levels much more in RB2. QED: I just finished one of the songs, which I played only once before on normal, on extreme in the demo because it's basically just faster.
Maybe this change encourages more people to start playing on hard as they are already use to the 5 buttons, but many of my more casual friends can now only play easy mode which is too boring even for them.

Easy uses blue and orange too. The point is to make you man up and move your hand.

SolidusDave said:
- you can play the keyboard part (of songs that support it) with any guitar, right? What about the pro keyboard part. Can you play it with the, normal guitar, the pro guitar or only the keyboard?

- can you use the keyboard for the guitar&bass parts in all songs? Can you use it also for the pro guitar/bass parts of the supported songs?

Yes for regular, no for pro. Pro requires the new hardware for any given instrument (well, technically not for drums, there's old cymbals, but whatever).

SolidusDave said:
- do you need all 3 cymbals for the drums pro mode?

Nope, only need one from what I've heard. Chart adapts to that.

Raistlin

Charron said:
Easy uses blue and orange too. The point is to make you man up and move your hand.
Not that I play plastic guitar much anymore, but I'm soooooooo glad they did this for the new gen that might be hopping on.

The difficulty jump was too much when they introduced shifting in the prior games.

woodypop

Charron said:
As someone who primarily plays on Medium, I'm glad Harmonix did this. It's eased me into using the orange button so I can progress to playing on Hard. Previously in RB2 the jump in difficulty seemed too daunting.

DodgerSan

woodypop said:
As someone who primarily plays on Medium, I'm glad Harmonix did this. It's eased me into using the orange button so I can progress to playing on Hard. Previously in RB2 the jump in difficulty seemed too daunting.

I'm like you. Still hating that orange button though! :lol

Drakken

I have an M-Audio KeyStudio 49 USB controller. Any chance that would work with RB3? People have been talking about MIDI keyboards a lot but I haven't seen anything about USB controllers.

Drakken said:
I have an M-Audio KeyStudio 49 USB controller. Any chance that would work with RB3? People have been talking about MIDI keyboards a lot but I haven't seen anything about USB controllers.

Almost certainly not.

Raistlin

DodgerSan said:
I'm like you. Still hating that orange button though! :lol

Yep. The problem is the song difficulty was too much of a jump to also introduce shifting. They shouldn't have added more notes/chords, speed, and shifting all at once. Had they started you on it from easy, it wouldn't be so bad.

Good job changing this HMX!

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
Drakken said:

This would be great. I've got a Korg Nano Key that would be perfect for this game. I'm guessing it doesn't work though.:(

Raistlin

Drakken said:
Having not 'seen anything about USB controllers' sufficiently answers the question I'm afraid

DJ_Tet

Banned
So we need a midi adapter for each instrument? I was hoping I'd only need one for the guitar and keyboards but after looking at Amazon it looks like only one instrument per box which is disappointing.

Raistlin

DJ_Tet said:
So we need a midi adapter for each instrument? I was hoping I'd only need one for the guitar and keyboards but after looking at Amazon it looks like only one instrument per box which is disappointing.

I'm confused with what you're asking? The only things that would require MIDI are a real keyboard, real e-drums, and the Fender pro guitar.

None of the MadCatz stuff requires it. I'm not sure what you're getting at with the one instrument per box thing.

Raistlin said:
I'm confused with what you're asking? The only things that would require MIDI are a real keyboard, real e-drums, and the Fender pro guitar.

None of the MadCatz stuff requires it. I'm not sure what you're getting at with the one instrument per box thing.

He was hoping you could use one box and run multiple instruments through it at a time. Obviously, that's not possible. I personally have 2 on order, and wish they would get here sooner than 11/28 so I can use my brand new Yamaha DTXplorer :(

DJ_Tet

Banned
drmcclin said:
He was hoping you could use one box and run multiple instruments through it at a time. Obviously, that's not possible. I personally have 2 on order, and wish they would get here sooner than 11/28 so I can use my brand new Yamaha DTXplorer :(

Yeah, I figured for $40 or so it would be an all-encompassing midi adapter.

GF is planning on getting a midi keyboard and I'm getting the Squier. Price just went up, not going to impede plans but it does kinda suck.

I guess when I think about it the conversion is likely fairly heavy and I didn't think about the outputs still needing to be 'separate RB controllers.'

Raistlin said:

Obviously was not talking about plastic instruments. Not even sure how you could make that assumption.

aristotle

fna84 said:
Nope, this is going to be my first music genre type game.

It doesn't really matter. Whatever one you prefer. Although I should say, having a pretty unlimited amount of HD space makes the ps3 win in my eyes. Some people will say "bu bu but the RBN cataloge is smaller on the ps3!" Tip: RBN is mostly shit. Sadly on the ps3 you can't preview the RBN songs, but they are usually of a lower quality of song than what you expect. Like some have said already "mostly myspace bands" and it isn't far from the truth. There are some well known bands that show up on there, but they also come to the PS3. 360 has more available RBN songs (not the same as regular DLC) and the PS3 has a bigger HD upgrade option. Not a fanboy comment :free online on PS3 although there aren't competitive modes on RB3 anymore (versus modes).

aristotle

FlightOfHeaven said:

Full access to RBN titles makes it a no brainer for me, and I'm a PS3 owner with 346 songs and counting.

RBN = mostly shit you wouldn't pay to hear at a local dive bar. See comment above as well.

Aspiring

Shaneus said:
More people know who Bloc Party are than New Found Whoever. At least, in the UK and Australia. Can't speak for the US but they've had songs featured in various US TV shows, movies and games (This Modern Love in HIMYM, Positive Tension in Forza 2) and I couldn't name a single song by those guys you mentioned.

I dont want to get into a pissing contest on which ban is more popular, but NFG are a very popular band. So i will just say we shoul have them both! Unfortunatly to me, it seems as though bands like this will only be coming through the RBN, as while they may be popular there not really considered massive. Though you never know.

Another advantadge of PS3 version is that, if you have friends interested in RB , you can use the account sharing to make a special account only for songs.

What's up with Bloc Party, anyway? They were rumored to have Helicopters in Guitar Hero World Tour, but then it vanished from the song list. Are they against music games?

Top Bottom