• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 3 |OT|

aristotle

Aspiring said:
I dont want to get into a pissing contest on which ban is more popular, but NFG are a very popular band. So i will just say we shoul have them both! Unfortunatly to me, it seems as though bands like this will only be coming through the RBN, as while they may be popular there not really considered massive. Though you never know.

I wish the RBN authors would go after bands that would actually sell. There are plenty of unreleased DLC bands that would make alot RE: The Toadies, Miser, Rev. Horton Heat, etc. etc. Very few people are into only metal groups and few indie metal groups are that good. If you don't believe me, check out the HMX metal bands
Visions, Shoulder to the Plow

lo escondido

Apartheid is, in fact, not institutional racism
distantmantra said:
What's up with Bloc Party, anyway? They were rumored to have Helicopters in Guitar Hero World Tour, but then it vanished from the song list. Are they against music games?

They were in guitar hero 3 I believe

I'm a PS3 user, but I would definitely go with the 360 version if I were starting over. PS3 users get the short end of the stick at every turn.

speaking of which, I was playing last night (on PS3) and for some reason the whole game kept hiccuping on me. Didn't matter whether I was in the main menu, in the middle of a song, cutscene... every 20 seconds or so it would stutter for a second. Didn't really cause me to miss any notes, but I def would've failed out of a hard song I didn't recognize. Has anyone had this happen to them? I had played 4-5 times before and never noticed this.

aristotle

drmcclin said:
I'm a PS3 user, but I would definitely go with the 360 version if I were starting over. PS3 users get the short end of the stick at every turn.

speaking of which, I was playing last night (on PS3) and for some reason the whole game kept hiccuping on me. Didn't matter whether I was in the main menu, in the middle of a song, cutscene... every 20 seconds or so it would stutter for a second. Didn't really cause me to miss any notes, but I def would've failed out of a hard song I didn't recognize. Has anyone had this happen to them? I had played 4-5 times before and never noticed this.

Maybe in the past, but the 360 version has all of the bugs/problems this time.

I haven't noticed a single hiccup yet on my version. Sounds like a HD problem on your end or a disc problem.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
aristotle said:
I wish the RBN authors would go after bands that would actually sell. There are plenty of unreleased DLC bands that would make alot RE: The Toadies, Miser, etc.

Blame the label. I would know.

allegate said:
They were in GH3, so I'm sorry you didn't get to play the hell out of that song.

I blame the horrible GH3 guitars. :p

Huh. Rock Band must have got in the way or something. :lol

So whats with the lack of more Bloc Party, then?

Charron said:
I'm guessing engine limitations. Too many people runs the risk of slowdown. Why they didn't take the singing guitarist lessons they learned from Green Day and have a five-piece be drums/keys/bass/guitar+vox, I don't know.
It certainly looks different this time around, little less cartoony.
Yes for regular, no for pro. Pro requires the new hardware for any given instrument (well, technically not for drums, there's old cymbals, but whatever).
Nope, only need one from what I've heard. Chart adapts to that.

thx for you answers

Easy uses blue and orange too. The point is to make you man up and move your hand.

Easy mode also uses all 5 buttons? oh boy. :lol Doesn't this make the game less accessible? As far as I can tell it also doesn't have that very easy mode of GH or RB Lego.
Edit: though no fail mode is now a standard option, right? I guess that makes it ok.

I try to man up since normal in RB2 has become too boring but I'm not good enough if I play casually random songs with buddies + drunk. Also, sometimes I just like to hit 100% of the notes and still have casual fun.

fna84 said:
Not sure which system to get it for...360 or PS3.
What does everyone think?

Do you have friends with PS3 Rock Band games? I really enjoy to gameshare all the DLC songs and export keys with 2 of my buddies who also own RB2. They often buy stuff I don't really like so it would be awful if we have a playing session at their house and I couldn't mix things up with the songs I bought.

butter_stick said:
The Bloc Party song in GH3 could only be unlocked in co op career in GH3. So dumb.

That was dumb. I unlocked it with a code.

Plus (sorry) there are so many Bloc Party songs I like more than Helicopter.

Hunting For Witches, Halo, Banquet, This Modern Love, I Still Remember, One Month Off..

chunk3rvd

Think I'm going to attempt Endless Setlist 3 in a moment. Am I right in thinking there are no penalties for difficulty or pausing this time? I can get all trophies and goals for completing it on hard?

I mainly play on expert but struggle with the 2 top tiers. I'd like to be able to play on expert so I don't get bored but drop down to hard for the songs I find difficult

chunk3rvd said:
Think I'm going to attempt Endless Setlist 3 in a moment. Am I right in thinking there are no penalties for difficulty or pausing this time? I can get all trophies and goals for completing it on hard?

I mainly play on expert but struggle with the 2 top tiers. I'd like to be able to play on expert so I don't get bored but drop down to hard for the songs I find difficult
I haven't done it myself yet but you should be fine. There's no Bladder of Steel achievement this time around so you shouldn't have to worry about pausing or failing.

chunk3rvd

Also, I just got a message before starting saying that "at least one of the songs in the setlist is missing this part. Are you sure you want to continue?"

I assume it's Imagine. Will I still unlock the goal for playing through the setlist on guitar?

Will keep looking back here to check that I'm not about to waste 6-7 hours :lol

SolidusDave said:
Easy mode also uses all 5 buttons? oh boy. :lol Doesn't this make the game less accessible? .

Don't worry, the blue and orange in easy is testimonial, even a little forced. The whole song goes with the first 3, but it has 2 or 3 blue and orange buttons in the middle of the solo, or in the end of the song, just to force you to 99% instead of 100%.

And it don't have double notes in easy, unlike the previous RB.

Najaf

Ok, am I supposed to be playing all of the pro-keyboard parts with one hand? I'm in the medium tutorials and that appears to be what they are saying. Does it move to two hands in more advanced play?

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
SolidusDave said:
Easy mode also uses all 5 buttons? oh boy. :lol Doesn't this make the game less accessible?
It probably makes it more accessible over-all. I imagine that it makes changing difficulties as you get better a much smoother experience. Getting to Hard from Medium used to be a huge barrier for people.

Memles

Najaf said:
Ok, am I supposed to be playing all of the pro-keyboard parts with one hand? I'm in the medium tutorials and that appears to be what they are saying. Does it move to two hands in more advanced play?

Ideally? Probably.

Realistically? Hell no.

aristotle

Najaf said:

The game is made to play one-handed. The videos of people playing on expert go to show you they haven't learned anything from the pro trainers. You can watch them "trip" over their fingers to play the next note in succession. If you work up to expert, you can definitely play it all one handed. The KB was made for one hand, that's why it's only half of a real keyboard ;).

Najaf

aristotle said:
The game is made to play one-handed. The videos of people playing on expert go to show you they haven't learned anything from the pro trainers. You can watch them "trip" over their fingers to play the next note in succession. If you work up to expert, you can definitely play it all one handed. The KB was made for one hand, that's why it's only half of a real keyboard ;).

Thanks. I have not played the piano in years and finger position is coming back slowly. The tutorials are great, but could have used a few images.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
aristotle said:
I wish the RBN authors would go after bands that would actually sell. There are plenty of unreleased DLC bands that would make alot RE: The Toadies, Miser, Rev. Horton Heat, etc. etc. Very few people are into only metal groups and few indie metal groups are that good. If you don't believe me, check out the HMX metal bands
Visions, Shoulder to the Plow
The best metal bands — the ones actually doing interesting stuff — almost always have their records released by independent labels. But I guess it just depends on what type of metal you like.

Went to Toys R Us due to others here saying they clearanced the Beatles guitars. They were still marked $99 on the shelf, but doing a price check showed they were $30. So George Harrison Gretcsh GET! Almost bought a Lennon Rickenbacker as well, but I already bought a Strat weeks ago. If I had known the Beatles were clearanced I would have waited and bought two. So now I have four plastic guitars for no reason, but I was tired of the button noise and sticking on the Strat. Love me the (mostly) quiet nature of the Beatles instruments and the smooth button pressing.

Shaneus

PhoncipleBone said:
Went to Toys R Us due to others here saying they clearanced the Beatles guitars. They were still marked $99 on the shelf, but doing a price check showed they were $30. So George Harrison Gretcsh GET! Almost bought a Lennon Rickenbacker as well, but I already bought a Strat weeks ago. If I had known the Beatles were clearanced I would have waited and bought two. So now I have four plastic guitars for no reason, but I was tired of the button noise and sticking on the Strat. Love me the (mostly) quiet nature of the Beatles instruments and the smooth button pressing.
Fuck, that's an awesome price. Do TRU do any online stuff?

Shaneus said:
Fuck, that's an awesome price. Do TRU do any online stuff?
Looking online they only have the PS3 guitar, and it is still priced $80. I am so tempted to go grab the Lennon one just to have it, even though I really dont need it. But the Harrison one feels awesome, and cant wait to play some tonight with it.

Flynn

aristotle said:
RBN = mostly shit you wouldn't pay to hear at a local dive bar. See comment above as well.

There are gems in there: Ween, Of Montreal, and some metal stuff too that is worth looking at.

aristotle

PhoncipleBone said:
Looking online they only have the PS3 guitar, and it is still priced $80. I am so tempted to go grab the Lennon one just to have it, even though I really dont need it. But the Harrison one feels awesome, and cant wait to play some tonight with it.

Buy me a PS3 one and I'll pay the shipping plus the cost, plus a small bonus. ;)

Najaf said:
Thanks. I have not played the piano in years and finger position is coming back slowly. The tutorials are great, but could have used a few images.

I haven't touched one in 15 yrs so I really suck at pro mode. It'll take practice, just like learning it for real on a piano.

vatstep said:
The best metal bands — the ones actually doing interesting stuff — almost always have their records released by independent labels. But I guess it just depends on what type of metal you like.

True. I did say most of it is shitty though, not all of it.

bounchfx said:
two of the funnest drum songs in the game! I am very familiar with them.

Every one has their own taste. You seem to be in the minority of who like those songs though.

Flynn said:
There are gems in there: Ween, Of Montreal, and some metal stuff too that is worth looking at.

I did say most, not all. But I don't care for metal much at all since I've gotten older. Like I said in a previous post, there are some good bands in there, but most of them are just "myspace" band types.

aristotle said:
Buy me a PS3 one and I'll pay the shipping plus the cost, plus a small bonus. ;)

My Toys R Us only had Xbox 360 ones. :( Sorry. They had two Lennon's and three (now two :D ) Harrison controllers. Sorry dude.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
So how do I unlock the ability to pick keyboard on quickplay without having to turn on All Instruments Mode on a guitar? I'm almost done with all the road challenges and I haven't unlocked it.

Rewrite said:
So how do I unlock the ability to pick keyboard on quickplay without having to turn on All Instruments Mode on a guitar? I'm almost done with all the road challenges and I haven't unlocked it.
It is one of the road challenges, not sure which one. I know I got it pretty late into the challenges.

Ridley327

It's the Guitar Immortal challenge, which is getting 5 stars on 50 guitar songs on Medium or three stars on higher difficulties.

chunk3rvd

Aaaggghhh, just reached Imagine on my guitar Endless Setlist. There is only one star in the top right. Is there a note in the song at all that will fill that? :lol

Anyone done endless setlist on guitar only? I'm 20+ songs in and worried it will all be for nothing if this song fucks me up

vehn

ahhh. So I got my copy of RB2 (for ps3) and entered the code and am downloading the 2 gig export pack what not. But isn't the code also supposed to be for getting 20 bonus songs? Do we just not get the bonus songs but get the export key instead??

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Ridley327 said:
It's the Guitar Immortal challenge, which is getting 5 stars on 50 guitar songs on Medium or three stars on higher difficulties.

you have to *unlock* the abilty to play the fucking keyboard in quickplay!?

mrklaw said:
you have to *unlock* the abilty to play the fucking keyboard in quickplay!?

I think you can turn on All Instrument Mode and do it that way too.

If you like having music videos blind you and make the highway unreadable.

discohiro

Are there still problems with exporting LEGO Rock Band into RB3 for XBOX360? I don't want to risk losing the export code to some stupid site error.

Is there a list of all the free songs? Trying for the achievement for beating them all and I don't see anything like it listed in any of the goals.

Raistlin

vehn said:
ahhh. So I got my copy of RB2 (for ps3) and entered the code and am downloading the 2 gig export pack what not. But isn't the code also supposed to be for getting 20 bonus songs? Do we just not get the bonus songs but get the export key instead??
There's two different keys/downloads

dude, read the back cover of the manual ... you know ... those sentences above the ID code? If you can't find them, they're are strings of letters we call words. :p

robut said:
Is there a list of all the free songs? Trying for the achievement for beating them all and I don't see anything like it listed in any of the goals.
Headphones On
Still Alive
Promised Land
Charlene (I'm Right Behind You)

Top Bottom