• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 3 |OT|

For them to say "play this chord with fingers x y z" or "start this section with this finger" would not be doing a disservice to the artist or some crap. It's a totally logical way to try and teach somebody to play a song, which the mode is supposed to do. It just makes the mode a glorified practice mode rather than an actual tutorial like Learn an Instrument is.

Ridley327 said:
There's only one band per profile, due to the changes made to the unlocking system. There really isn't any need for multiples with how everything progresses now.
I'm not sure I follow. Do you mean that I can't join his band / vice versa? We basically just have our own bands we just sort of play together when we're both playing?

Raistlin

butter_stick said:
For them to say "play this chord with fingers x y z" or "start this section with this finger" would not be doing a disservice to the artist or some crap. It's a totally logical way to try and teach somebody to play a song, which the mode is supposed to do. It just makes the mode a glorified practice mode rather than an actual tutorial like Learn an Instrument is.

I'm simply saying that isn't necessarily how piano lessons go ... though certainly many beginners charts do include basic fingering.

I would love it if they at least told you the key at the beginning of songs. That way you could at least get into the proper position.

Ridley327

Psychotext said:
I'm not sure I follow. Do you mean that I can't join his band / vice versa? We basically just have our own bands we just sort of play together when we're both playing?
Basically, yes. It's kinda like how online play works.

Oh... and (sorry, full of questions as I just got the game) is the lego rock band key / exporter thingy working on the RB site again now?

Also, why do I want to be linking my game to the site? People seemed to be mentioning that you couldn't do it until recently.

SuperPac

I linked my account using the code this afternoon, but haven't been able to play till tonight. Still says they haven't seen me play yet on the website... what do I do? I've been playing for about a half hour.

Raistlin

Psychotext said:
Oh... and (sorry, full of questions as I just got the game) is the lego rock band key / exporter thingy working on the RB site again now?

Also, why do I want to be linking my game to the site? People seemed to be mentioning that you couldn't do it until recently.

I did that Lego thing last Saturday for PS3. Worked fine then, but I have no idea if its up now.

As for linking ... :eek:

http://www.rockband.com/link looks like it's FINALLY up!?!?!?

Seems there are still no Lego Rock Band codes. =/

Regarding the Rock Band 2 export. The code I want is the one on the back of the manual right? First 16 digits of it (I assume without dashes?). It's just that I tried to use it then and it gave me an error.

firehawk12 said:
Are there any problems with exporting Green Day?
It contains Green Day music.:D

I am kidding. There are quite a few songs I want off of there, but dont want to spend much on the disc. I am waiting on that one.

Hige

Raistlin said:
Trying out pro keyboards right now. So far ... LOVING it!!!! So much fun. I'm not too good - just playing medium right now (though why am I ranking in the top 30's for subdivisions?).
When you say top 30's are you talking about actual leaderboard rank or the the % given after a song is completed? If I remember correctly, I think the % system is backwards. If the completion screen says you're at the "Top 95% of the leaderboards", they actually mean 95th percentile. The wording is awkward because when you look at the rankings, the highest scores are listed as top 1/2/3% etc.

koam

SuperPac said:
I linked my account using the code this afternoon, but haven't been able to play till tonight. Still says they haven't seen me play yet on the website... what do I do? I've been playing for about a half hour.

Same problem here, i'm going to just go ahead and assume that anything related to rockband.com does not work and won't for weeks.

Hige

The rockband.com linking is not fully functional yet. From their twitter:
Rock Band Twitter said:
RockBand.com account linking is (partially) live! Link now, features to start rolling in soon. Here's a walk through: http://bit.ly/911l66 "Partially" meaning that stats will display in your RB.com profile, but setlists, battles and the achievement will prop as servers warm up.

Hige said:
When you say top 30's are you talking about actual leaderboard rank or the the % given after a song is completed? If I remember correctly, I think the % system is backwards. If the completion screen says you're at the "Top 95% of the leaderboards", they actually mean 95th percentile. The wording is awkward because when you look at the rankings, the highest scores are listed as top 1/2/3% etc.
Yeah, it feels bad when you gold star something and they say "you are in the top 93% for your score!"

As for posting high scores, remember you are on keys. It is pretty easy to be high on the charts with keys, where it is harder to chart with guitar scores. It also depends on the song too.

EDIT: BTW, my link on RB.com http://www.rockband.com/users/phonciplebone79

XBOX Usertag is phonciplebone79. I am on silver, so I dont do online play that much, but can at least post scores in battles. Or until I buy a gold membership.

U2NUMB

Now in game it says

Couldnt Get account linking linking code. Please try again later..

so now the site is working but my game isnt.. great

Aspiring

Ok so it tells me i am already linked up yet i have not entered my code. Is it because of Rock Band 2 and must i unlink and than relink?

Pancho

Qurupancho
Aspiring said:
Ok so it tells me i am already linked up yet i have not entered my code. Is it because of Rock Band 2 and must i unlink and than relink?

Yeah, that's what I had to do. When I did that, all my goals so far and general scores info appeared.

Aspiring said:
Yup. Unlink, then link with RB3 code.

And looks like I was beaten as I hit the "reply" button.

Hige

All of a sudden my game has been freezing on that cutscene with the two guys moving the trunk. Three times on keys, once on vocals in the last two days. Feels bad man. :(

Shaneus

Quick question: Anyone know if there's a way to use the sliding fretboard on GH guitars (in particular, the Logitech pro one) for solos in RB3? Would make the game hella easier on my fingers, for sure.

Raistlin

Psychotext said:
Seems there are still no Lego Rock Band codes. =/

Regarding the Rock Band 2 export. The code I want is the one on the back of the manual right? First 16 digits of it (I assume without dashes?). It's just that I tried to use it then and it gave me an error.

Are you euro-gaf?

Raistlin

Hige said:

I understand percentile, but no ... I meant position :\

bathala

Banned
1st time playing rock band and jumped to Pro guitar right away (mustang only guitar).... man its hard. :lol

at least i can play HMX keys got to try some of my DL songs

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Raistlin said:
I would love it if they at least told you the key at the beginning of songs. That way you could at least get into the proper position.

For RB4 I want a keyboard with touch sensors so I can see my finger shapes - like the pro guitars.

Raistlin said:
Are you euro-gaf?
Yeah. I've since found out that it's the first 16 digits without dashes... but the redeem page isn't working anyway. RB3s backend systems are shockingly bad. I could have coded better in a weekend.

remz

Shaneus said:
Found a local retailer (in Australia) that's selling it for fairly cheap instore. Yay!

Now to find a cheap place that sells/ships the keyboards... that will ship immediately. Amazon is 3-4 weeks :(
Details man! DETAILS!

koam said:
Same problem here, i'm going to just go ahead and assume that anything related to rockband.com does not work and won't for weeks.

this is what I did, and it worked:

1. linked up on the website
2. fired up the game
3. un-linked on the web
4. re-linked on the web

I suspect you can skip step #2.

Fuck you EA / Harmonix. Can't get an account linking code... because it's not working. Can't enter my Rock Band 2 code... because it's not working. Can't export my Lego Rock Band songs... because you ran out of codes.

What a fucking joke.

koam

drmcclin said:
this is what I did, and it worked:

1. linked up on the website
2. fired up the game
3. un-linked on the web
4. re-linked on the web

I suspect you can skip step #2.

I didn;t do 3 and 4

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
mrklaw said:
For RB4 I want a keyboard with touch sensors so I can see my finger shapes - like the pro guitars.

I wanted that too, but after about a week now, I find myself looking down far less.

Psychotext said:
Fuck you EA / Harmonix. Can't get an account linking code... because it's not working. Can't enter my Rock Band 2 code... because it's not working. Can't export my Lego Rock Band songs... because you ran out of codes.

What a fucking joke.

It's got nothing to do with EA.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Psychotext said:

What a fucking joke.
I refuse to believe that so many people bought this game (and are hammering the servers incessantly) that they still can't get a handle on this shit. They're not exactly game-breaking issues, but they add up. What a fuck-up of a launch.

Jmac71

Bon Jovi next week!

hmxhenry said:
Hopefully all of you have been enjoying Rock Band 3! Here's the DLC coming out next week: a 12 pack of Bon Jovi's greatest hits, including the first back catalog songs updated for Pro mode! We're also releasing the 3 singles that were previously only available to the clever folks that pre ordered RB3 from GameStop. Be sure to check out the songs marked with "X" and view the pricing info below to see which tracks have Pro Guitar and Bass upgrades available.

Available on Xbox 360, Wii and PlayStation 3 system (Nov. 9):

Bon Jovi – “Bad Medicine”
Bon Jovi – “Blaze of Glory”
Bon Jovi – “Have a Nice Day”
Bon Jovi – “I’ll Be There For You”
Bon Jovi – “It’s My Life”
Bon Jovi – “Lay Your Hands On Me”
Bon Jovi – “Livin’ on a Prayer (RB3 version)” X
Bon Jovi – “Runaway” X
Bon Jovi – “Wanted Dead or Alive (RB3 version)” X
Bon Jovi – “We Weren’t Born to Follow”
Bon Jovi – “Who Says You Can’t Go Home”
Bon Jovi – “You Give Love a Bad Name (RB3 version)” X
Deftones – “My Own Summer (Shove It)” X
New Order – “Blue Monday” X
Talking Heads – “Burning Down the House” X

(All tracks are original master recordings)

(These tracks will be available in Europe on PlayStation 3 system Nov. 10)

These tracks will be available for purchase as individual tracks, as well as “Bon Jovi Greatest Hits: Rock Band Edition” on Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 system and Wii. Tracks marked with “X” will include Pro Guitar and Pro Bass expansions for $0.99 per song.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
plagiarize said:
so i guess if i wanted the livin on a prayer with keys i need to rebuy? i have it installed.

not angry about it, just asking.

yes. And you can't delete the old version because its an export.

Its a tiny bit disappointing that they have three tracks from previous versions, so the 'discount' for the full pack is written off to a degree - its really only 9 new tracks.

I guess if you want pro keys or pro guitar there is not much choice though. I'll buy the whole pack probably

Shaneus

Psychotext said:

What a fucking joke.
If it helps, after a shitload of searching I found how to export RB2 tracks if you're on 360. Just enter the code on the back of the manual in the "redeem code" part of RB3, but only use the first 16 characters.

Fucking neglect to mention that anywhere at all, don't they?

PS. Anyone know what three tracks punching that code into the original RB2 gets?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
is it possible to get a list of likely songs to be updated with new versions to support keys and pro guitar? I'm about to go on a buying spree as I haven't checked the DLC for ages, but if there are songs (eg queen) that might be re-issued for key support then I'll hold off.

Ridley327

Queen is a pretty safe bet. One of the MTV Games execs also mentioned Nine Inch Nails by name (and, "coincidentally," the remastered Pretty Hate Machine is due out at the end of November).

mrklaw said:
is it possible to get a list of likely songs to be updated with new versions to support keys and pro guitar? I'm about to go on a buying spree as I haven't checked the DLC for ages, but if there are songs (eg queen) that might be re-issued for key support then I'll hold off.

They said that they will listen to what the communitiy wants as far as updating legacy songs. I would think how much a song or pack sold originally would also be a factor.

Top Bottom