• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 3 |OT|

EYEL1NER

Jmac71 said:
Bon Jovi next week!
Hahaha, that list looks awesome.
I think I'll be getting everything except the Deftones song. I'll have to give that a listen to, since I like White Pony-Deftones, but not much else.

Ridley327 said:
Queen is a pretty safe bet. One of the MTV Games execs also mentioned Nine Inch Nails by name (and, "coincidentally," the remastered Pretty Hate Machine is due out at the end of November).

OH MY GOD PRETTY HATE MACHINE WOULD BE A KEYBOARD WET DREAM COME TRUE

Bon Jovi is bought. I hope this isn't how they treat all future legacy updates though (I'll give them a pass this time since they were all disc songs).

Harmonix is unstoppable

Shaneus said:
If it helps, after a shitload of searching I found how to export RB2 tracks if you're on 360. Just enter the code on the back of the manual in the "redeem code" part of RB3, but only use the first 16 characters.

Fucking neglect to mention that anywhere at all, don't they?

PS. Anyone know what three tracks punching that code into the original RB2 gets?
It doesn't work for me. I just get a "Failure to redeem code error - Try again later". Same if I press the button to see what I've already redeemed. It's just broken.

Finally picked this up last night. It's pretty fantastic and seems to make all the little changes I was hoping for that made RB2 annoying over the long term (not that it was ever enough to stop playing). My only real initial gripe is that the characters are a bit ugly; I spent quite a while trying to re-create some of my RB2 characters and they come out...off.

Amneisac

I might be having a false memory, but I really don't think so. You can only have one instrument as the 'active' profile? In other words, when I'm playing with my wife I'm only getting credit for what the person signed into my account is doing? I'm pretty sure in earlier Rock Bands we'd get achievements and stuff for anyone did who was playing as long as the leader was signed into the profile.

Am I just completely wrong or did they change it? I guess I could see where people could use it to 'boost' or whatever, but fuck, it makes you feel unimportant when you're playing and not contributing to possible achievements, etc.

Amneisac said:
I might be having a false memory, but I really don't think so. You can only have one instrument as the 'active' profile? In other words, when I'm playing with my wife I'm only getting credit for what the person signed into my account is doing? I'm pretty sure in earlier Rock Bands we'd get achievements and stuff for anyone did who was playing as long as the leader was signed into the profile.

Am I just completely wrong or did they change it? I guess I could see where people could use it to 'boost' or whatever, but fuck, it makes you feel unimportant when you're playing and not contributing to possible achievements, etc.
The only achievements other people can contribute to the signed in player are band based ones. Like "seriously saved" or the 1000000 point club ones. But streak goals, etc will only be judged by the signed in player.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
oh bum, just spent $50 and am only up to 'J'.

looking for some good country and family friendly songs. Not generally a fan of country music but I think it works really well in Rock Band

mrklaw said:
oh bum, just spent $50 and am only up to 'J'.

looking for some good country and family friendly songs. Not generally a fan of country music but I think it works really well in Rock Band
"The Gambler" is fun for parties as most people know it.
"Fancy" by Reba is just a good song
"On the Road Again" is another good party one due to familiarity

but the song you have to get, just for the soul crushing difficulty, is "Sin Wagon" by the Dixie Chicks. People complaining about not having enough hard guitar stuff or saying all the country stuff blows obviously have not downloaded that song yet. Pain in the ass on guitar, and damn fun to sing.

Linked my account but in-game the challenge for linking an account isn't unlocking. Everything else works fine. Just won't give me the completion on that challenge :(

criesofthepast said:
Linked my account but in-game the challenge for linking an account isn't unlocking. Everything else works fine. Just won't give me the completion on that challenge :(
Give it time. A few hours after I linked it gave me the achievement as soon as the main menu booted up.

allegate said:
Trent doesn't own those masters so it's entirely possible.

regardless of who owns them, I don't think Reznor is AGAINST putting more music in the game. i think the quote was more along the lines of "i'm bored with it, maybe later if I feel compelled".

Keyboards could be the added incentive he needed.

It's really too bad GH seemingly scored exclusivity with Tool.

I would love NIN's Wish to be in RB. The Fragile is my favorite album of theirs, would love for some of that to make it over too.

Raistlin

mrklaw said:
For RB4 I want a keyboard with touch sensors so I can see my finger shapes - like the pro guitars.

Well, you can while the keys are pressed - and there's no penalty for hitting keys before the song, or for holding onto keys after the notes are complete during a song. Not quite what you want, but it's not too bad.

My main issue so far is that I'm having a problem actually memorizing songs since I'm never looking at the keys. While my brain is getting used to what key to hit just from looking at the color and position on the highway (and with that, knowing what actual note it is) ... for whatever reason it isn't going that extra step and actually burning an image of the song into my brain. Sheet music on the other hand, does.

Granted, I'm just starting.

Roarer

drmcclin said:

Indeed, and because of Tool's long-standing beef with MTV, we probably won't see them in Rock Band. Ever. Which is a damn shame.

drmcclin said:

I would love NIN's Wish to be in RB. The Fragile is my favorite album of theirs, would love for some of that to make it over too.
The Fragile has an SE in the works for 2010/2011 so maybe?

bathala

Banned
is there a good way to remembering finger placement on the frets? (for Pro guitar)
1/2/3 r no problem, but then when it comes to four I started using my pink to reach further.

playing HMX keys kinda help

I linked but all my goals don't show on the website. I'm pretty sure risky guitar or whatever where you play with no fail mode on is one of the first things I did. I have it in the game but not online.

I'd like to be able to get more into pro keys, normal keys is pretty simple. The only problem I'm having is interpreting what I see on the screen. Not complaining or anything like that but I'd be doing so much better right now if they just gave me a sheet with the notes on it or if the black and white note indicator things had the key letter on them.

I'd also like if I could hook the keyboard up to the computer through USB.

The obsessive side of me is kind of angry that it will never be able to accomplish all of the goals in this game. There's just a ridiculous number of things to do. Of course so some internet guru will accomplish everything.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Nice DLC for Bon Jovi. Will buy some tracks. I'm hoping You Give Love A Bad Name is different from the LEGO version because I hate how it was mixed. That ending cut really bothers me every time I play it. It's like an amateur mixed it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
VivaciousSoul said:
I'd also like if I could hook the keyboard up to the computer through USB.

You can - get a MIDI - USB cable. Its a pretty nicely done MIDI keyboard apparantly (for the price)

RedStep

Ridley327 said:
Wish is in the newest Guitar Hero, so he's definitely had a change of heart.

I believe that all of his old stuff is controlled by the label (Interscope?), so he may not have a say there.

Ferrio

Banned
So the pro guitars, how realistic is the playing? Do you actually strum the correct real strings or is it still abstracted?

bathala

Banned
Ferrio said:
So the pro guitars, how realistic is the playing? Do you actually strum the correct real strings or is it still abstracted?
the tutorial tells u to strum just the fret u r holding. I try to strum 2-3 strings and see if I can get away with it. nope.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
For anyone looking for a Mustang for 360, this was tweeted just a few minutes ago:

RockBand said:
There are a few hundred 360 Mustangs in the offical US MadCatz online store! Act fast! http://bit.ly/af5pFF

Nekofrog

Banned
So how does the real guitar handle songs with alternate tunings? Because I know for a fact a good majority of the songs in RB aren't in eadgbe.

Nekofrog said:
So how does the real guitar handle songs with alternate tunings? Because I know for a fact a good majority of the songs in RB aren't in eadgbe.

They chart it as if it's in that tuning, and the trainer mentions it.

bounchfx

Ferrio said:
So if you grabbed a regular guitar and played what was on screen it would be the real song?

yes

How is the mustang guitar? I think I want to buy one since I don't want to wait for march, but I'm afraid the quality will be lacking.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, the procedure to "upgrade" legacy songs is bullshit.

Being forced to pay $2 to buy the song all over again to get keys and harmonies and then pay another $1 for Pro Guitar/Bass is fucking awful. That means that for songs you already downloaded, it's $5 per song to be able to have a full RB3 version (the $2 you already paid for the original DLC plus the $3 to buy the whole thing over again.

Now let's multiply that by the entire Queen pack...fuck you, Harmonix.

(mostly because I know I'm going to pay it anyway)

Roarer

MetatronM said:
Wow, the procedure to "upgrade" legacy songs is bullshit.

Let's hope this is some kind of one off thing. Selling the songs twice (and for a premium at that) is just plain silly. Surely there must be a way to either a) add-on to your exiting DLC or b) check your purchase history and offer a discount if the song is already in your library.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Monkeylord said:
Has anyone worked out how to get your custom band members using the correct instruments?

It's different ordering depending on what instrument you are playing but if your playing guitar its:
Slot 1: You as Guitar
Slot 2: Bass
Slot 3: Vocals
Slot 4: Drums
Slots 3 & 4 will swap depending on the sex of the vocalist from that song.

Obviously this depends on you also having at least one female/male member in your band. Otherwise the game will bring in a random matching gender for the song being played.

Pancho

Qurupancho
navanman said:
Its different orders depending on what instrument your playing but if your playing guitar its:
Slot 1: You as guitar
Slot 2: Bass
Slot 3: Vocals
Slot 4: Drums
Slot 3 & 4 will swap depending on the sex of the vocalist from that song.

Thanks for the quick answer! :D

Btw, anyone got a list of DLC songs that got Harmonies added-on? It was sort of mindblowing when I chose Even Flow on vocals and see it has harmonies. Green Day has them too, any other DLC that had harmonies added-on?

Top Bottom