• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 3 |OT|

navanman said:
Its different orders depending on what instrument your playing but if your playing guitar its:
Slot 1: You as guitar
Slot 2: Bass
Slot 3: Vocals
Slot 4: Drums
Slot 3 & 4 will swap depending on the sex of the vocalist from that song.
Cheers.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Roarer said:
Let's hope this is some kind of one off thing. Selling the songs twice (and for a premium at that) is just plain silly. Surely there must be a way to either a) add-on to your exiting DLC or b) check your purchase history and offer a discount if the song is already in your library.

Going forward, at least the Pro Guitar/Bass additions will be available for the old versions as well.

Hige

Pancho said:
Thanks for the quick answer! :D

Btw, anyone got a list of DLC songs that got Harmonies added-on? It was sort of mindblowing when I chose Even Flow on vocals and see it has harmonies. Green Day has them too, any other DLC that had harmonies added-on?
I think Pearl Jam's songs are the only old DLC to include harmonies, unfortunately.

mojiimbo

If they won't do it for free then that $1 legacy pro add-on really should include pro keys as well. They're kind of shitting on the only people that still give a shit about their game by selling us an album for almost $20 and then charging an additional $2/song for a "Rock Band 3 version" if we want keys. Hopefully this Bon Jovi shit is just a fluke.

Still kind of disgusted that Rock'n' Roll Star probably won't ever work in RB3, especially since it was probably the most fun Oasis song to play.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
mojiimbo said:
If they won't do it for free then that $1 legacy pro add-on really should include pro keys as well. They're kind of shitting on the only people that still give a shit about their game by selling us an album for almost $20 and then charging an additional $2/song for a "Rock Band 3 version" if we want keys. Hopefully this Bon Jovi shit is just a fluke.

Still kind of disgusted that Rock'n' Roll Star probably won't ever work in RB3, especially since it was probably the most fun Oasis song to play.

You don't have to pay 20 bucks and then pay 2 bucks for keys. You pay 2 bucks per song and it includes keys, or 3 if you want Pro Guitar. People are pissed because they've already paid 2 bucks for some songs, but that only applies to like 2 or 3 from this pack. It's a bigger issue with Queen or Boston.

No idea why Harmonix added orange notes to medium difficulty. It's not even done in a way that makes it more challenging. They just add one or two orange notes randomly on most songs to fuck you up and make you scramble. Usually near the end of a song. It's so cheap.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
criesofthepast said:
No idea why Harmonix added orange notes to medium difficulty. It's not even done in a way that makes it more challenging. They just add one or two orange notes randomly on most songs to fuck you up and make you scramble. Usually near the end of a song. It's so cheap.

I know some may disagree or even hate it but IMO, its one of the best things they have done with the game. The step-up to hard with the extra button and added complexity turned lots of people off so this is a good way to get them used to the extra button.

I'm sure Harmonix have lots of stats that show that many players never play anything past medium for this reason.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
navanman said:
I know some may disagree or even hate it but IMO, its one of the best things they have done with the game. The step-up to hard with the extra button and added complexity turned lots of people off so this is a good way to get them used to the extra button.

I'm sure Harmonix have lots of stats that show that many players never play anything past medium for this reason.
I agree with you, but I also agree with criesofthepast that they poorly implemented. Out of the whole song on Easy, the total amount of orange/blue notes are like 5 at least. I'm not sure about Medium, but on Easy they are really minimal, which is something that shouldn't be if Harmonix wants people to get used to the orange notes.

Pancho

Qurupancho
Man Im so frustrated :lol

There are some chords on the keyboards that are near impossible for me, curse my small hands!

navanman said:

The problem is not the blue or orange... is the double notes. Those blue-red, yellow-green are killing me. Well, not killing me, but taking away the 5th star. Normal Bass is soooo easy, compared with guitar, because of this...

Pancho

Qurupancho
DangerousDave said:
The problem is not the blue or orange... is the double notes. Those blue-red, yellow-green are killing me. Well, not killing me, but taking away the 5th star. Normal Bass is soooo easy, compared with guitar, because of this...

When making the jump or getting used to the orange note and hit that tricky-ass RB double note. I suggest you start the songs with the index in the red. It's much easier switching from red to green than green to red, it helped me a lot to hit RB and get used to the orange note of doom.

Shaneus

Can anyone tell me what the fuck has happened with the sound mixing on this? Even tracks that I played in RB2 sound way fucking different in this one. Just not quite right, and nowhere near as good.

Pancho

Qurupancho
Shaneus said:
Can anyone tell me what the fuck has happened with the sound mixing on this? Even tracks that I played in RB2 sound way fucking different in this one. Just not quite right, and nowhere near as good.

huh? It sounds better, IMO.

Then again, I'm no audiophile nor an expert in sound mixing.

Pancho said:
When making the jump or getting used to the orange note and hit that tricky-ass RB double note. I suggest you start the songs with the index in the red. It's much easier switching from red to green than green to red, it helped me a lot to hit RB and get used to the orange note of doom.

Well, it's not a matter of starting the songs, is that, when i took out the index from green, i need some milliseconds to think what fingers i have to move from the buttons, specially when there is a double note.

Also, i suck in fast switching from blue to red, or the reverse (syncronizing the baby finger with the middle finger, so the problem is also switching from orange to yellow). If there are single notes, there is no problem, because i kept red pressed, but if there is a double note, there are high chances to lose the multiplier.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Shaneus said:
Wha.

It sounds 100x better.

The audio settings ARE different in this game, though. Whenever I played bass in Rock Band 2, I'd lower down the audio settings to the other instruments (about half) so I could boost up the bass track and make it sound louder. In Rock Band 3 however, I have to lower down the settings WAAAAAAAAAAAAY down (almost to the bottom of the bar) to have that same effect.

Are you playing on Mono? If so, change it to Stereo. It makes a huge difference.

DangerousDave said:
Well, it's not a matter of starting the songs, is that, when i took out the index from green, i need some milliseconds to think what fingers i have to move from the buttons, specially when there is a double note.

Also, i suck in fast switching from blue to red, or the reverse (syncronizing the baby finger with the middle finger, so the problem is also switching from orange to yellow). If there are single notes, there is no problem, because i kept red pressed, but if there is a double note, there are high chances to lose the multiplier.
Haha, I know your pain. Just keep practicing. I think everyone had this problem, but once you get used to positioning your fingers in the right double frets, double notes become easy. I used to have trouble with red+blue, but now I don't. Not even with Green+Orange. I still have some trouble switching to different triple chords, but I can still manage it. Also, try playing with Hyperspeed (Breakneck Speed) on. Get used to it and you will learn to love it so much as you'll be able to read the notes much better.

Pancho

Qurupancho
Rewrite said:
Wha.

It sounds 100x better.

The audio settings ARE different in this game, though. Whenever I played bass in Rock Band 2, I'd lower down the audio settings to the other instruments (about half) so I could boost up the bass track and make it sound louder. In Rock Band 3 however, I have to lower down the settings WAAAAAAAAAAAAY down (almost to the bottom of the bar) to have that same effect.

Are you playing on Mono? If so, change it to Stereo. It makes a huge difference.

Haha, I know your pain. Just keep practicing. I think everyone had this problem, but once you get used to positioning your fingers in the right double frets, double notes become easy. I used to have trouble with red+blue, but now I don't. Not even with Green+Orange. I still have some trouble switching to different triple chords, but I can still manage it.

That I agree with, bass doesn't have the same "oomph" as it did in RB2, I can barely hear it sometimes, and I have bass boost on. Wish there would be different sliders for each instrument.

Edit: So is it a good idea to have the dolby pro digital thing turned on regardless of your sound setup? Or does it affect sound quality unless you have a good surround system? (I only got stereo headphones)

Rewrite said:
Also, try playing with Hyperspeed (Breakneck Speed) on. Get used to it and you will learn to love it so much as you'll be able to read the notes much better.

:lol :lol I remember when many considered using hyperspeed as cheating.

jgkspsx

So, does anybody who has the Mustang know how you'd go about replacing the strings if they break? Because they probably will. Does it say not to use a pick?

DJ_Tet

Banned
Got a good deal at Target tonight, thought some others might be interested.

They have the Guitar Hero 5 bundles on clearance for $22.50. Picked up one mainly for the guitar but having it come with a free game is nice too. They had it for PS3 and X360.

jgkspsx said:
So, does anybody who has the Mustang know how you'd go about replacing the strings if they break? Because they probably will. Does it say not to use a pick?
The strings are my main concern with it as well. And also I will miss the tactile feedback of strings to know if I am hitting the one underneath it by accident or not.

Also, do the buttons have touch sense on them so it shows what fret I am on even if not pressing the button?

bill.cosby

Neo Member
criesofthepast said:

Wow, I didn't even know they did that. Haven't bothered with below hard since GH2. If it's once in a while to get people accustomed to sliding hand positions, then I'm all for it honestly. They're just easing you into hard mode to get you even more addicted to the game.

bill.cosby

Neo Member
Anyone else have trouble getting the achievement linking your band to the rock band site? I clearly did it, but nothing unlocked. Will it happen next time I log on or something?

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
bill.cosby said:
Anyone else have trouble getting the achievement linking your band to the rock band site? I clearly did it, but nothing unlocked. Will it happen next time I log on or something?
I linked up yesterday and I haven't gotten shit either! :lol I didn't even unlock the goal yet.

Pancho

Qurupancho
bill.cosby said:
Thanks man, but it didn't work. It asked me if I wanted to unlink my account. Oh well, just 6 points, no big deal.

Well try this:

Get in your profile page and hit " home" it sort of takes you to this page in which there's a button to get the " get connected" goal. You click on it and it will ask you for your PSN/XBLA plus linking code. If done correctly, next time you turn on the game it will show up as soon as you press start.

criesofthepast said:

I noticed that too and I like it, makes medium more fun.

I been playing since RB1 and I still can't play Guitar on Hard (well some of the warmup songs).

Aspiring

So with the Bon Jovi tracks, do i have to spen $3 to get Pro intsruments on the tracks i have, or can i just buy the $1 upgrade like they have planned for Singstar?

Shaneus

Rewrite said:
Wha.

It sounds 100x better.

Playing on whatever the default was. I'm assuming stereo.

I initially thought that it sounded better, but then I bought (surprised I hadn't already) 1901 by Phoenix, played it and it sounded like something was missing, just not quite right. I figured it might've been a mastering issue with that track, but I fired it up in RB2 and it sounds way closer to the original. If you have that track, I suggest you try it and you'll see what I mean.

After I stopped using HS for a while in RB2 it now looks twice as fast as I was accustomed to. I was like, "Holy fuck, did they patch this shit!" Glad I can adjust it in increments in RB3 now.

Pancho

Qurupancho
allegate said:
So for the upstrum bass trophy, do you have to do it on Hard? Because I did it on expert 100% and the trophy didn't pop. I got the goal for it, but not the trophy.

That's really weird, I did it on expert and the trophy did appear since I also unlocked the authentic strummer goal for hard.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Stackboy said:
^ Keen to know this too, just bought a cheap copy.
So they're still out of codes on the 360 it seems. Didn't notice until now but they added a disclaimer on the redemption site telling you they're out of codes when you try to redeem a 360 code, so that's . . . progress?

Oh ffs. I did "Du Hast", an impossibly easy song to hit 100% of the notes. I guess I'll try again tomorrow or something on Charlene or one of the other short easy songs.

Pancho

Qurupancho
allegate said:
Oh ffs. I did "Du Hast", an impossibly easy song to hit 100% of the notes. I guess I'll try again tomorrow or something on Charlene or one of the other short easy songs.

I did it with Imagine, super easy bass, all held notes.

Hige

allegate said:
So for the upstrum bass trophy, do you have to do it on Hard? Because I did it on expert 100% and the trophy didn't pop. I got the goal for it, but not the trophy.
I did it on expert on Charlene the first time and it didn't unlock. Did it a 2nd time on hard mode and it unlocked. Some people have claimed to get the achievement/trophy while on expert, but it wasn't the case for me.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm probably the only one, but...

I can't play the Rock Band 3 demo on my PS3. It freezes as soon as I get past the start screen. My PS3 is brand new so this is weird. :(

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Don't think its been posted here yet, as there is still complaining about the upgrades. (edit: Charron mentioned it earlier, oh well)

Harmonix posted an update saying from now on, if there is a re-release of legacy DLC, you'll be able to buy the pro guitar/bass upgrade for the original version separately - you won't need to first upgrade to the RB3 version. Note that this doesn't work for the Bon Jovi content, seems they just decided.

So if you have a RB2 track you can either buy

- new RB3 version, including pro keys and harmonies
- new RB3 upgrade for pro guitar
- RB2 upgrade for pro guitar, but miss out on pro keys/harmonies

Sounds a little bit complicated, but should make guitarists happy. TBH I'd like the same option for pro keys. Pro guitarists get a 99c upgrade for legacy songs, but pro keyboardists have to effectively pay $1.99

Shaneus said:
That's totally my justification for getting it :lol

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2010/10/hands-on-rock-band-3s-keytar-a-surprisingly-serious-80-midi-keyboard/

really nice look at what it can do

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
allegate said:
You know, for Rock Band 2, I didn't upstrum at all. It was just pure down strum and I've always gotten the trophy. I have never once upstrummed especially for the whole song. Down strumming the whole song worked for Rock Band 3. Try that.

Xevren said:
But then I'd be forced to play a Beastie Boys song =(
I'll give you So Watcha Want and to some extent No Sleep Till Brooklyn, but Sabotage is awesome!

Shaneus said:
Playing on whatever the default was. I'm assuming stereo.

I initially thought that it sounded better, but then I bought (surprised I hadn't already) 1901 by Phoenix, played it and it sounded like something was missing, just not quite right. I figured it might've been a mastering issue with that track, but I fired it up in RB2 and it sounds way closer to the original. If you have that track, I suggest you try it and you'll see what I mean.
Default sound setting was mono for me, so maybe you should reassure yourself and check that you're not in mono. I don't have that song, though.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
what sound setting combinations are preferred to avoid lag etc?

eg if I'm running through my amp, do I set the game to 5.1 and let the amp decode it; leave the game in stereo and prologic II it on the amp (assuming this is not good); keep it stereo in game and 'pure' in the amp?

Shaneus

Rewrite said:
Default sound setting was mono for me, so maybe you should reassure yourself and check that you're not in mono. I don't have that song, though.
You might be right... just fired it up and my receiver is picking up the signal as Pro-Logic.

Fake edit: Dolby Digital was switched off by default. What the fuck? Why doesn't it just use the setting from the dashboard?

Fucking poor effort, Harmonix.

Fake edit #2: Sounds way better (than before and RB2). But why the fuck leave that option default? I guarantee that if I can miss out on a setting like that, there must be thousands playing with inferior quality audio for no reason.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Roarer said:
Let's hope this is some kind of one off thing. Selling the songs twice (and for a premium at that) is just plain silly. Surely there must be a way to either a) add-on to your exiting DLC or b) check your purchase history and offer a discount if the song is already in your library.

Oh wow, I just assumed there was an upgrade program. They're just going to re-sell those Bon Jovi songs?

I guess that almost encourages you to buy the pack.

otmane

I was going to buy the Bob Marley DLC album, but this Bon Jovi re-release story makes me hesitant.
Was there any info on a possible re-release with keys? Do you think it is likely?

bathala

Banned
For people who play real guitar:
is there a technique to help u remember fret positioning ? (or is it just practice until u memorize it)

I have no problem when its 1-2-3, but when I go 4/5 and back my finger gets lost

Shaneus

There's some hilarity when you finish a set with Just Like Heaven, then smash your guitar on stage while your singer throws milk around :lol

Top Bottom