• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 3 |OT|

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
I it just me or is some of the song tiering really screwed up.
I've just started Expert Bass and there is no way some of the songs are Tier 0 or 1.

Is the instrument tiering based on the pro-mode now?

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
navanman said:
I've just started Expert Bass and there is no way some of the songs are Tier 0 or 1.

It's Harmonix. They are horrible at tiering.

Pro and non-Pro do have their own separate tiers though.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
firehawk12 said:
Oh wow, I just assumed there was an upgrade program. They're just going to re-sell those Bon Jovi songs?

I guess that almost encourages you to buy the pack.

there *will* be an upgrade for re-releases, but not for Bon Jovi content (I guess it was too late for that)

So if for example they re-release Queen content with new pro keys, you can either buy that and the optional pro guitar upgrade, or just buy the pro guitar upgrade for your existing Queen DLC

So for pro guitar you will have a choice. For pro keys you won't, you'll have to buy the full price reissue

firehawk12

Subete no aware
mrklaw said:
there *will* be an upgrade for re-releases, but not for Bon Jovi content (I guess it was too late for that)

So if for example they re-release Queen content with new pro keys, you can either buy that and the optional pro guitar upgrade, or just buy the pro guitar upgrade for your existing Queen DLC

So for pro guitar you will have a choice. For pro keys you won't, you'll have to buy the full price reissue

Hrm, that sort of makes sense. I guess doing an upgrade path for everything would be asking too much.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
So I guess there really is a shortage for 360 Keyboards Bundles?

Amazon is not selling them. The other online store which I can certainly buy it (I live overseas and have to import everything) never even got them into stock.

This is going to take a while for me to play...

navanman said:

Harmonix did way worse this time around with tiering, than they've done before. They usually are pretty so-so with tiering, but in this game it's just horrible.

Pancho

Qurupancho
I ask once again:

If I don't have a good sound system (Only have Stereo headphones) Does turning on the dolby digital option affects the sound quality negatively?

jgkspsx

So, essentially, if a DLC song has keys or harmonies on it, don't buy it?

EDIT:
mrklaw said:
Harmonix posted an update saying from now on, if there is a re-release of legacy DLC, you'll be able to buy the pro guitar/bass upgrade for the original version separately - you won't need to first upgrade to the RB3 version. Note that this doesn't work for the Bon Jovi content, seems they just decided.

So if you have a RB2 track you can either buy

- new RB3 version, including pro keys and harmonies
- new RB3 upgrade for pro guitar
- RB2 upgrade for pro guitar, but miss out on pro keys/harmonies

Sounds a little bit complicated, but should make guitarists happy. TBH I'd like the same option for pro keys. Pro guitarists get a 99c upgrade for legacy songs, but pro keyboardists have to effectively pay $1.99
Just pro keyboardists? What about non-pro keyboardists and multi-vocalists?

Yeef

I think Harmonix always has been pretty bad at tiering, but for on-disc stuff they have to spread things out evenly between the tiers. So even if 90% of the bass songs are all just as easy they can't all be in the same tier.

I have a question about Pro Keys. Are you supposed to be using two hands or just one? I'm guessing it varies depending on song but it'd be nice to know what's the correct hand position before the song starts.

Antibodies being tier 3 on guitar, Jerry being a lower tier than Roundabout bass, Oh My God being tier 0 on keys, I Got You being tier 3 drums, there's plenty of just stupid decisions they made even within the game's own context of difficulty.

Pancho

Qurupancho
butter_stick said:
Antibodies being tier 3 on guitar, Jerry being a lower tier than Roundabout bass, Oh My God being tier 0 on keys, I Got You being tier 3 drums, there's plenty of just stupid decisions they made even within the game's own context of difficulty.

I stopped believing in HMX teiring since Woman was Tier 1 in GH2 PS2 version :lol

remz

bathala said:
For people who play real guitar:
is there a technique to help u remember fret positioning ? (or is it just practice until u memorize it)

I have no problem when its 1-2-3, but when I go 4/5 and back my finger gets lost
if this is about the 5 button game non pro guitar, there should be a raised spot over the middle fret, like a lump or thing jutting out.

Ridley327

jgkspsx said:
So, essentially, if a DLC song has keys or harmonies on it, don't buy it?

EDIT:

Just pro keyboardists? What about non-pro keyboardists and multi-vocalists?
Keys and Pro keys are both included in any DLC that supports them.

Pancho said:
I stopped believing in HMX teiring since Woman was Tier 1 in GH2 PS2 version :lol

The tiering was a lot better in the 360 version of the game.

Woman was tier 2. :lol :lol :lol

Hige said:
I did it on expert on Charlene the first time and it didn't unlock. Did it a 2nd time on hard mode and it unlocked. Some people have claimed to get the achievement/trophy while on expert, but it wasn't the case for me.
That's the song I was going to use.
Rewrite said:
You know, for Rock Band 2, I didn't upstrum at all. It was just pure down strum and I've always gotten the trophy. I have never once upstrummed especially for the whole song. Down strumming the whole song worked for Rock Band 3. Try that.
But it specifically says "upstrum only" in the description...and you got it? Weird. Do you play with lefty flip on or something?
Pancho said:
I ask once again:

If I don't have a good sound system (Only have Stereo headphones) Does turning on the dolby digital option affects the sound quality negatively?
it shouldn't, but you'll want to recalibrate after you do that as I've read turning it on introduces some lag.

Ridley327

Recalibration is very, very important when you enable DD because it automatically adds 50ms of audio lag. I personally play the game without it enabled just because Dolby lag is kind of a pain in the ass to calibrate on my system and the only thing I'm missing out on is the crowd coming in on the rear speakers.

Pancho

Qurupancho
Ridley327 said:
Recalibration is very, very important when you enable DD because it automatically adds 50ms of audio lag. I personally play the game without it enabled just because Dolby lag is kind of a pain in the ass to calibrate on my system and the only thing I'm missing out on is the crowd coming in on the rear speakers.

Well I turned it on, and besides feeling the lag, the audio drops randomly every now and then mid-song =/
Turned it off, audio drops are gone. What does it mean if the audio randomly drops?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Ridley327 said:
Interesting maybe I should turn off DD. I do feel like they did a much better job with it this time though. RB2 it was horrible.

Pancho said:
Well I turned it on, and besides feeling the lag, the audio drops randomly every now and then mid-song =/
Turned it off, audio drops are gone. What does it mean if the audio randomly drops?
How do you have the audio connected? My dvd player had problems with DD through the optical output for the longest time until I got a new cable. I guess cable got a kink or something, not really sure.

Pancho

Qurupancho
allegate said:
How do you have the audio connected? My dvd player had problems with DD through the optical output for the longest time until I got a new cable. I guess cable got a kink or something, not really sure.

Headphones are connected to the AUDIO-OUT port of the tv with standard red-white cables.

Ridley327

Audio dropouts for digital sound options are almost always cable-related issues. It'd be worth it to try out another cable if you have one handy.

I finally managed to pick this up and I'm sucking at the pro piano, haha. I wish the tutorials gave you a little more info with a video or model overlay that shows you the proper finger position. Just reading the texts doesn't really do it for me. Had to quit in the middle of a tutorial because I was getting so frustrated. =P

Pancho

Qurupancho
Ridley327 said:
Audio dropouts for digital sound options are almost always cable-related issues. It'd be worth it to try out another cable if you have one handy.

Thanks, will try with a different cable :D

I3rand0

grap3fruitman said:
I finally managed to pick this up and I'm sucking at the pro piano, haha. I wish the tutorials gave you a little more info with a video or model overlay that shows you the proper finger position. Just reading the texts doesn't really do it for me. Had to quit in the middle of a tutorial because I was getting so frustrated. =P

Agreed. Are you using 2 hands to play or 1? I believe you're supposed to only use 1. I got the wrong impression from the first videos they released earlier this summer that pro mode was built for 2 hands play.

Pancho

Qurupancho
allegate said:
ok, but how is the system audio connected to the television?

Oh, you mean the PS3? Through an HDMI cable, which is rather old....maybe I should buy a new HDMI cable :lol

aristotle

To settle the confusion:

Pro-keys are supposed to be played one-handed. All of the videos online with people playing with 2 hands are doing it wrong. If you watch on most of the videos, their fingers are "tripping" over each other. Sight-reading isn't what pro-mode is for. You practice the song before you can play it. Look at playing all the pro modes (except drums since that's been there since day one basically) as learning the song for real. You don't go up on stage at a concert without ever having played a song and expect yourself to get it right.

Pancho

Qurupancho
It's funny how when you play with randoms there's always this awkward politeness when it comes to who takes guitar, no one wants to choose first :lol

LaneDS

Pancho said:
It's funny how when you play with randoms there's always this awkward politeness when it comes to who takes guitar, no one wants to choose first :lol

This reminds me... has Harmonix ever said why there isn't a mode to let both players pick guitar? I assume it has to do with the audio track not playing correctly if both players were attempting the same section, but I'd still like to see this option implemented somehow.

Raistlin

Am I missing something here? I tried the learn a song mode, and it only has a couple sections of the song?

Is there a way to play the entire song slowly?

Argyle

Pancho said:
I gave up on Rock Band online because that wasn't my experience, they were always jamming on the button as fast as they could to try to get guitar. I remember I was hosting and I let this asshole get the guitar part twice, and when I forced my way into the guitar part on the third song...he drops, of course.

Raistlin

lol thanks

Man, did no one buy this game ... or at least the Subdivisions DLC? I just ranked 21 on expert my first try. :\ 75% should get me there.

Raistlin

Pro keys practice mode be FAR better if they allowed you to actually play it as a keyboard ie. play real notes, not just the annoying clank when you fuck up. It would be way easier to learn things.

bathala

Banned
remz said:
if this is about the 5 button game non pro guitar, there should be a raised spot over the middle fret, like a lump or thing jutting out.
well I only have pro-guitar :S

thanks anyway

aristotle

Raistlin said:
Pro keys practice mode be FAR better if they allowed you to actually play it as a keyboard ie. play real notes, not just the annoying clank when you fuck up. It would be way easier to learn things.

I have no idea how to even respond to that....

Yeef

I am pretty surprised that there's no freestyle mode for Pro Guitar and Pro Keys. It seems like a no-brainer.

Raistlin

aristotle said:
I have no idea how to even respond to that....
Huh?

Did I not explain myself sufficiently? I meant something like overlaying a freestyle keys mode over the practice session.

aristotle

Raistlin said:
Huh?

Did I not explain myself sufficiently? I meant something like overlaying a freestyle keys mode over the practice session.

But why? If you want to play it as a keyboard, hook it up to your PC to play MIDI. This isn't a music authoring program.

Raistlin

aristotle said:
But why? If you want to play it as a keyboard, hook it up to your PC to play MIDI. This isn't a music authoring program.
That's not what I'm asking for.

Have you tried practice mode on it? It would obviously make things much easier. When fucking up and trying to figure out fingering it takes forever because the smallest section you can practice is still quite long.

If you could hear yourself, you could simply keep playing the screw up area a few times while it's fresh in your head and then just hop back into playing the song when you want.

Chris R

navanman said:

They screwed up for sure. There is a devil tier song on bass that is just pure alt strumming :lol

aristotle

Raistlin said:
That's not what I'm asking for.

Have you tried practice mode on it? It would obviously make things much easier. When fucking up and trying to figure out fingering it takes forever because the smallest section you can practice is still quite long.

If you could hear yourself, you could simply keep playing the screw up area a few times while it's fresh in your head and then just hop back into playing the song when you want.

Oops! Yeah I gotcha now. I agree. Also, not hearing the wrong note when you play the wrong note gets frustrating.

Roarer

Pancho said:

Dude, yes. And it even had the crazy organ solo charted to the guitar. Had me stumped for weeks way back.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
aristotle said:
To settle the confusion:

Pro-keys are supposed to be played one-handed. All of the videos online with people playing with 2 hands are doing it wrong. If you watch on most of the videos, their fingers are "tripping" over each other. Sight-reading isn't what pro-mode is for. You practice the song before you can play it. Look at playing all the pro modes (except drums since that's been there since day one basically) as learning the song for real. You don't go up on stage at a concert without ever having played a song and expect yourself to get it right.

recommendations for finger positions - are the raised sections on the keys there for a reason? eg are you supposed to put your thumb on the key wiht the raised part, or similar?

LogicStep

Sorry if it has been asked here before but how is the quality of the new mad catz guitars? I need a new one and I think that is the only ones available... or what about the GH ones?

Roarer

grap3fruitman said:

Yeah, I'm a bit disappointed by the pro-tutorials. I thought they would be more helpful and really show you what to do instead of just throwing up a bunch of stuff for you to play. I really dig the guitar lessons found in Garage Band and had hoped these tutorials would be the same (i.e. video of a guy showing you the fingering etc while you play the notes)

Raistlin

mrklaw said:
recommendations for finger positions - are the raised sections on the keys there for a reason? eg are you supposed to put your thumb on the key wiht the raised part, or similar?

They are there so you can find the section boundaries without looking - 1st one is the beginning of the yellows, 2nd is blues, last is greens.

deathsight580 said:
Sorry if it has been asked here before but how is the quality of the new mad catz guitars? I need a new one and I think that is the only ones available... or what about the GH ones?
Buy a GH5 guitar instead. Skip the WoR one.

Top Bottom