• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 3 |OT|

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Raistlin said:
They are there so you can find the section boundaries without looking - 1st one is the beginning of the yellows, 2nd is blues, last is greens.

I know, but is there a recommended 'home keys' for where your fingers should rest in relation to those boundaries?

mrklaw said:
I know, but is there a recommended 'home keys' for where your fingers should rest in relation to those boundaries?
No, totally depends what music you are playing.

It would be nice if it told you what key you are in at any point, I think it would make the notes you are playing make a lot more sense for everyone.

DJ_Tet

Banned
deathsight580 said:
Sorry if it has been asked here before but how is the quality of the new mad catz guitars? I need a new one and I think that is the only ones available... or what about the GH ones?

Got buried in the thread but last night I got the Guitar Hero 5 bundle at Target on clearance for $22.50. They had both PS3 and X360 versions.

I had never used a GH guitar before, oh man. It's so much better than either of my two Strats (both RB1, one wireless.) It's fucking awesome. I actually felt like I might be able to play hard after just playing with it for an hour, I was getting 95% on Boston songs that were almost an instant fail on my old guitar.

Of course the bundle comes with a game too, but just getting that guitar for RB3 was worth way more than $22.

My only question is the fret board on the GH5 guitar, can that double as 'solo buttons' in RB? I've never used the solo buttons and I'm having a hard time discerning 'solo sections' in RB3 with the blue highway, so I just wanted to be sure before I failed out trying it. Reading the GH manual it seems that it's used for a different function in GH, but having never played that game I wasn't sure what it was talking about.

Also liked the fact that GH5 is a true band game, I wasn't sure about that. Being a singer though as well as mediocre guitar player that made the game more exciting for me personally.

DJ_Tet

Banned
butter_stick said:
GH5 guitar can't duplicate solo buttons at all.

Figured as much. Also can't duplicate effects :(

Will the squier be able to do effects? :lol

I like effects, I will miss them.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
The GH6 guitar is an abortion.
My World Tour guitar broke down, so I had to change it with one (it was the only one in stock).
Good God.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
And another person sees the light in GH guitars being absolutely fucking awesome. <3

Jocchan, get the GH 5 guitar or rebuy another World Tour one.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
very annoying how it resets the filters *every* time you choose a song.

Make a custom setlist and want to use only keyboard songs? Check the 'keyboard' filter. Finish that set, start the next one, its bloody forgotten it again :/

I read that you can play Bass with the keyboard, if you are using the keyboard and playing a song with no keys. How does that work - is it like tapping out one great long solo? if you have to hit the coloured keys in time with the strum I imagine that just feels odd - normally you are on the colour keys in advance of the strum.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Rewrite said:
And another person sees the light in GH guitars being absolutely fucking awesome. <3

Unfortunately I had to accept the GH6 one or I would have lost my money, so now I'm stuck with this abortion.
The World Tour guitar was all kinds of awesome instead.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
What's so bad about the GH:WoR guitar? I find it difficult to believe a GH guitar would be shitty, from a playing perspective.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Rewrite said:

So many great touches (beyond the clicky strummer which I suspected I would love, having gotten one of the dead strats the first time around in RB) you can tell the guitar was crafted for the player. The back button is the 'pick ups' so to speak, always ready to smack with your heel while strumming, no more flailing around for the back button.

No more flailing around for the back button and hitting start! You'll be hard pressed to push start accidentally on this controller.

And finally, and most surprising to me, the much thicker neck helps keep my fingers in better position. No more almost instant hand cramps. In one night it made me think about trying to find a real guitar with a thicker neck, as I've always owned a fender strat (not that I'm a serious player by any stretch.)

To get that plus a game for $22, it makes me want to get another one on Mon and flip the game :lol

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
NameGenerated said:
What's so bad about the GH:WoR guitar? I find it difficult to believe a GH guitar would be shitty, from a playing perspective.
It's too freakin' small, the whammy bar is pretty much useless, the start and select buttons are too hard and uncomfortable.
The guitar itself is also ugly and uncomfortable, and you get a small USB key that looks like a small Bluetooth adapter instead of the World Tour-style USB hub (which means two less USB ports to connect the rest of your instruments).

mrklaw said:

Make a custom setlist and want to use only keyboard songs? Check the 'keyboard' filter. Finish that set, start the next one, its bloody forgotten it again :/
That's weird, I don't have that problem. Whenever I'm playing keys by myself, I check off sort by difficulty, pro keys support only, and it stays that way until I change it again.

Ridley327

mrklaw said:

I read that you can play Bass with the keyboard, if you are using the keyboard and playing a song with no keys. How does that work - is it like tapping out one great long solo? if you have to hit the coloured keys in time with the strum I imagine that just feels odd - normally you are on the colour keys in advance of the strum.
They put strums in there where it makes sense. Then you have stuff like the outro for Antibodies to remind you that you are only human.

fernoca

Another vote for the GH5 guitar.
Is nearly year old, has been in the closet in a corner, even fell a few times and it still looks and plays perfectly; and no problems with the sensor neither. :)

2qv5i5c.jpg

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Out of curiosity, how does the Mustang work in non-Pro mode?
Does it work with Guitar Hero games?

sneaky77

NameGenerated said:

my only issue with it is the strum bar sucks for fast sections if you only downstrum like I do. frets feel great

sneaky77 said:
my only issue with it is the strum bar sucks for fast sections if you only downstrum like I do. frets feel great

So you realize this hinders your ability to play and you've never tried to correct it?

It kinda sucks when alt strumming too, it's really easy to lose your grip on it because it comes to a razor fine fucking point, the only reason I haven't ebay'd it for 12 dollars is because it's tiny, tiny enough for my children and wife.

Shaneus

fernoca said:
Another vote for the GH5 guitar.
Is nearly year old, has been in the closet in a corner, even fell a few times and it still looks and plays perfectly; and no problems with the sensor neither. :)

2qv5i5c.jpg
Looks similar to the GH World Tour one... that had a strum bar break on me a month after warranty :/

Thankfully, I've got this:
logitech-guitar.jpg

Built like a brick shithouse (heavy!) and the world's best strum bar (mmmaybe second best next to the 360 Xplorer). But because it's for GH it doesn't have the solo fret buttons :(

Oh well, at least I scored it for $70AU delivered a while back :D

fernoca

Shaneus said:
Looks similar to the GH World Tour one... that had a strum bar break on me a month after warranty :/

Thankfully, I've got this:
logitech-guitar.jpg

Built like a brick shithouse (heavy!) and the world's best strum bar (mmmaybe second best next to the 360 Xplorer). But because it's for GH it doesn't have the solo fret buttons :(

Oh well, at least I scored it for $70AU delivered a while back :D
Looks pretty, what's the name/model?

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
I'm still using my GH:WT tour guitar. Can't play with any other guitar, its fantastic.
I did replace the strum bar micro-switches as they were known to be a bit flaky.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Ridley327 said:
IIRC, the Mustang uses any of the buttons in the five frets at the bottom or top of the neck.
I see. Does it work with GH or previous RB games?

TheExodu5

Banned
Shaneus said:

Not selling me. I hate the Xplorer, including it's crummy strum bar.

GH2 guitar, or GHWT/GH5 guitar, IMO.

Xplorer and GH3 guitar are the worst guitars Red Octane made.

Mileena

Banned
Guitar tier list

God tier
GH5 guitar
PS2 SG

Amazing till they break tier

360 Les Paul
GH:WT guitar

Mid tier
Xplorer

Shit tier
RB2 Strat

LOL tier
RB1 Strat
PS3 Les Paul

Shaneus

fernoca said:
Looks pretty, what's the name/model?
That's the Logitech one... apologies for not mentioning it! The PS3 one is all black but TBH, I kinda like the orange/white of the 360 one. Pretty sure they've used proper materials, too.. the neck is definitely wooden and the body feels very solid (hard resin? wood as well?). The strum bar is definitely the best I've felt (tried the Xplorer before... strum bar way too flappy) but it's a heavy fucker, for sure.

If you can find one cheap and can deal without the solo frets and effects, I highly recommend it!

Ristlager

Fuck fuckity fuck :( The PS3 just shut it self down, for no apparent reason, when my game was saving. Whiping out my save as a result. Bah, I had only just unlocked the bus, but still very irritating. Should I worry about my PS3? Except very loud fan noise, been for ages, I have not had any problems with it prior to this incident.

Shaneus

The strum bar STILL doesn't click on the RB guitars? I had an RB1 guitar from a band pack and it didn't strum... I thought it was just a once off.

Weird.

The Beatles guitars have an audible noise when you strum, but it's still too mushy and imprecise unless you're a Harmonix fanboy or really care about your guitars looking like scaled down replicas.

Shaneus

Oh, quickie: Can anyone else download the free track by Stephen and the Colberts? It won't let me download from the RB store and doesn't appear at all on the XBL store :/

In Australia, btw.

KaYotiX

Banned
butter_stick said:
The Beatles guitars have an audible noise when you strum, but it's still too mushy and imprecise unless you're a Harmonix fanboy or really care about your guitars looking like scaled down replicas.

ppl using rb guitars affect you how again?

KaYotiX said:
i prefer the Gretch Beatles guitar over all :D HATE the clicky strum and the frets on the GH ones.
Same here. No need for many of the others to be complete dicks about it.

I used to swear by the GH controllers. The RB1 strat looked nice, but the strum bar was mushy and required a little too much force to get to work. I did like the flat layout of the buttons though.

I used the GH III controller until last year. The only issue with the GH III controller was the connections between the neck and the body would sometimes cause dropped notes.

I got a RB3 strat, and while it is nice, the buttons are just slightly sticky once in a while. Or at least you have to press down directly on the red or yellow ones to make it hit and not catch on the lip. The strum bar doesnt click (thank god, the clicking was so annoying on the GH stuff), but you can feel it actually "press" as you strum. It feels a lot better than the first strats.

The Beatles controllers though are the best for me. The strum bars are nice and quiet, with just the slightest noise when strumming. You can feel it click when you strum so there is no questioning if you hit it or not. The buttons are the best though. The lay flat like the Strat, but have a shorter travel distance it seems. They are the quietest buttons on any guitar controller, and make it easy to glide over the buttons during big HOPO sections.

I do appreciate that the GH controllers now put the back button where the heel of your palm would be though.

And to those complaining that the solo buttons give people too big of an advantage: quit whining. You dont like them, fine. Just dont complain because someone else knows how to use them to beat a precious high score.

And quit being so immature about the controllers and how others play the game. It is getting tiring. I thought we got tired of this kind of stuff with the bloodbath of the last RB thread.

KaYotiX

Banned
PhoncipleBone said:
Same here. No need for many of the others to be complete dicks about it.

I used to swear by the GH controllers. The RB1 strat looked nice, but the strum bar was mushy and required a little too much force to get to work. I did like the flat layout of the buttons though.

I used the GH III controller until last year. The only issue with the GH III controller was the connections between the neck and the body would sometimes cause dropped notes.

I got a RB3 strat, and while it is nice, the buttons are just slightly sticky once in a while. Or at least you have to press down directly on the red or yellow ones to make it hit and not catch on the lip. The strum bar doesnt click (thank god, the clicking was so annoying on the GH stuff), but you can feel it actually "press" as you strum. It feels a lot better than the first strats.

The Beatles controllers though are the best for me. The strum bars are nice and quiet, with just the slightest noise when strumming. You can feel it click when you strum so there is no questioning if you hit it or not. The buttons are the best though. The lay flat like the Strat, but have a shorter travel distance it seems. They are the quietest buttons on any guitar controller, and make it easy to glide over the buttons during big HOPO sections.

I do appreciate that the GH controllers now put the back button where the heel of your palm would be though.

And to those complaining that the solo buttons give people too big of an advantage: quit whining. You dont like them, fine. Just dont complain because someone else knows how to use them to beat a precious high score.

And quit being so immature about the controllers and how others play the game. It is getting tiring. I thought we got tired of this kind of stuff with the bloodbath of the last RB thread.

well said!

Oli

Just got the Live Free or Die achievement.

I gotta say, it was pretty hard getting through "Headphones On"... *cringe*

Top Bottom