• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 3 |OT|

Things I hate about the WT guitar:

1. The d-pad nub sucks ass
2. The start/select/star power buttons suck ass
3. The strum bar got mushy after 6 months of use, i.e. it extends way after the click
4. This one's subjective. The spaces between the frets makes moving your hand harder than it should be. The RB guitars don't have spaces.

If all the guitars' strum bars get mushy eventually, why the hell wouldn't the RB(2) guitar be an upgrade for me?

ChoklitReign said:
Things I hate about the WT guitar:

1. The d-pad nub sucks ass
2. The start/select/star power buttons suck ass
3. The strum bar got mushy after 6 months of use, i.e. it extends way after the click
4. This one's subjective. The spaces between the frets makes moving your hand harder than it should be. The RB guitars don't have spaces.

If all the guitars' strum bars get mushy eventually, why the hell wouldn't the RB(2) guitar be an upgrade for me?
The spacing of the buttons on the GH controllers is slightly larger. I tried the WT guitar for a bit when I borrowed one from a friend, but went back to the GH III ones because I just didnt like the overall feel of it. The bar did get a lil mushy, but not as bad as you are describing. The sheer size of the strum bar was also a turn off for me. The one thing that I have NEVER had an issue with the GH controllers is the tilt for star power activation. Those are always spot on, where my RB1 strat is unreliable as hell. The RB3 strat and Beatles controllers are spot on though.

The only reason I still keep a GH controller around is because there is always ONE person at parties that refuses to use the RB controllers. They just like the smaller body on the GH one and like the click more.

But different strokes.

PhoncipleBone said:
The spacing of the buttons on the GH controllers is slightly larger. I tried the WT guitar for a bit when I borrowed one from a friend, but went back to the GH III ones because I just didnt like the overall feel of it. The bar did get a lil mushy, but not as bad as you are describing. The sheer size of the strum bar was also a turn off for me. The one thing that I have NEVER had an issue with the GH controllers is the tilt for star power activation. Those are always spot on, where my RB1 strat is unreliable as hell. The RB3 strat and Beatles controllers are spot on though.

The only reason I still keep a GH controller around is because there is always ONE person at parties that refuses to use the RB controllers. They just like the smaller body on the GH one and like the click more.

But different strokes.
I always use the button to turn on star power but it's a little weird. On many occasions my hand bumps the strum bar trying to push it with my forearm and I lose my multiplier. So should I look for Black Friday deals on the Beatles guitars?

ChoklitReign said:
I always use the button to turn on star power but it's a little weird. On many occasions my hand bumps the strum bar trying to push it with my forearm and I lose my multiplier. So should I look for Black Friday deals on the Beatles guitars?
Toys R Us has clearanced the Beatles guitars to $30, as talked about a few pages back. They seem to only have the 360 ones, so I hope that is your platform of choice. It is hit or miss if they have any. That or get the full band bundle for $120. You get the McCartney bass and a mic and drums in the box. The McCartney is awesome, but is a little tiring after long sessions due to the longer neck on the controller.

Another thing to consider with the RB controllers is you can buy an overdrive pedal or on the Beatles ones use your drum pedal to activate overdrive instead of a button or tilting.

The GH5 bundle for less than $25 at target is a damn fine bargain as well. I would highly recommend that if you are unable to find a Beatles guitar. But if you have your heart set on ignoring the GH stuff and are unable to get a Beatles guitar, the RB3 Strats are good with the exception of the buttons being a lil noisy and sometimes being a lil sticky. The stickiness is not an issue if you have a hard press with the fingers, but I usually dont press too terribly hard so that is the only reason I notice.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Harmonix always has the best credits ever. I like looking at the pictures of the staff and who worked on the game. More developers need to do this. The music after the staff pictures are over is awesome. Release it as a pack, Harmonix.

Really bummed that every time I play online, "All American Girl" by Carrie Underwood is greyed out.

SORRY I DON'T WANNA PLAY "BLACKENED" AGAIN MR. PROFESSIONAL McHARDCORE, THE THIRD.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Really bummed that every time I play online, "All American Girl" by Carrie Underwood is greyed out.

SORRY I DON'T WANNA PLAY "BLACKENED" AGAIN MR. PROFESSIONAL McHARDCORE, THE THIRD.
Thank you again for reminding me why I still havent renewed my gold Live membership. Everytime I think of joining again, I am reminded of all the "leetness" of people online in this game. Doesnt anyone ever fucking play just for fun?

PhoncipleBone said:
Thank you again for reminding me why I still havent renewed my gold Live membership. Everytime I think of joining again, I am reminded of all the "leetness" of people online in this game. Doesnt anyone ever fucking play just for fun?

I have two friends who have or will have RB3 so once we get one more it should be more fun, but I'm way more into DLC than them.

Why will no one realize that "Energy" by Apples In Stereo is TOTALLY WORTH YOUR TIME, YOU GUYS!!!

KaYotiX

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:

love that song :D I also love most of the country songs

and i play for fun :D I like having lots of ppl on my firends list though so i can compare scores too

corkscrewblow said:
Well, All American Girl isn't fun.

...neither is Blackened.

Whaaaaat? The way she sings "HeaaaAAAAAAArt"?? MAN, IT CHOKES YOU UP, DUDE. The father wanted a son so badly but then he realizes how great his daughter is! And then the girl's boyfriend realizes he loves her more than football! And then they realize they both want a daughter now!

YOU'RE IN TEARS BY THE END.

Man, what the dang.

BenjaminBirdie said:
I have two friends who have or will have RB3 so once we get one more it should be more fun, but I'm way more into DLC than them.

Why will no one realize that "Energy" by Apples In Stereo is TOTALLY WORTH YOUR TIME, YOU GUYS!!!
I have lots of DLC as well. I am close to breaking 500 songs (exports included). Not as much as some, but still a fairly large amount. If I do get gold, and there are others on here that just want to play to play, I will jump in. I occasionally like the insane song, but sometimes I just like some random shit in the game. I do remember the last time I played online a few years ago someone was giving me shit for playing on hard instead of expert. Well excuse the fuck out of me for not wanting to play Green Grass and High Tides on expert.

woodypop said:
*raises hand* I do! I do!
Phonciplebone79 is my live tag. I get enough people wanting to play, I will jump back in. Or we can just get some good battle of the bands stuff going in here.

KaYotiX

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
Whaaaaat? The way she sings "HeaaaAAAAAAArt"?? MAN, IT CHOKES YOU UP, DUDE. The father wanted a son so badly but then he realizes how great his daughter is! And then the girl's boyfriend realizes he loves her more than football! And then they realize they both want a daughter now!

YOU'RE IN TEARS BY THE END.

Man, what the dang.

BEST STORY EVAH!!!!!:D

PhoncipleBone said:
I have lots of DLC as well. I am close to breaking 500 songs (exports included). Not as much as some, but still a fairly large amount. If I do get gold, and there are others on here that just want to play to play, I will jump in. I occasionally like the insane song, but sometimes I just like some random shit in the game. I do remember the last time I played online a few years ago someone was giving me shit for playing on hard instead of expert. Well excuse the fuck out of me for not wanting to play Green Grass and High Tides on expert.

Yeah that sucks too. It's like "Sorry, dude. I'm in the Medium phase of my game so that's what I'm playing at. SUCK IT UP."

KaYotiX said:
BEST STORY EVAH!!!!!:D
BAH! "Fancy" by Reba for best story.

"I remember it all very well lookin' back
It was the summer I turned eighteen
We lived in a one room, rundown shack
On the outskirts of New Orleans
We didn't have money for food or rent
To say the least we were hard pressed
Then Mama spent every last penny we had
To buy me a dancin' dress

Mama washed and combed and curled my hair
And she painted my eyes and lips then I stepped into
a satin'
dancin' dress that had a split on the side clean up
to my hip
It was red velvet trim and it fit me good
Standin' back from the lookin' glass
There stood a woman where a half grown kid
had stood

She said here's your one chance Fancy don't let
me down
Here's your one chance Fancy don't let me down

Mama dabbled a little bit of perfume on my neck
And she kissed my cheek
Then I saw the tears wellin' up in her troubled eys
When she started to speak
She looked at a pitiful shackAnd then she looked at me and took a ragged
breath
She said your Pa's run off and I'm real sick
And the baby's gonna starve to death

She handed me a heart shaped locket that said
To thine own self be true
And I shivered as I watched a roach crawl accross
The toe of my high heeled shoe
It sounded like somebody else that was talkin'
Askin' Mama what do I do
She said be nice to the gentlemen Fancy
And they'll be nice to you
She said here's your one chance Fancy don't let me down
Here's your one chance Fancy don't let me downLord forgive me for what I do,
but if you want out
Well it's up to you
Now don't let me down you better start
movin' uptown

Well, that was the last time I saw my Ma
The night I left that rickety shack
The welfare people came and took the baby
Mama died and I ain't been back

But the wheels of fate had started to turn
And for me there was no way out
And it wasn't very long 'til I knew exactly
What my Mama'd been talkin' about

I knew what I had to do but I made myself this
solemn vowThat I's gonna be a lady someday
Though I didn't know when or how
I couldn't see spending the rest of my life
With my head hung down in shame you know
I might have been born just plain white trash
But Fancy was my name

It wasn't long after that benevolent man
Took me off the street
And one week later I was pourin' his tea
In a five room hotel suite

I charmed a king, congressman
And an occasional aristocrat
Then I got me a Georgia mansion
In an elegant New York townhouse flat
And I ain't done bad

Now in this world there's a lot of self-righteous
hippocrates
That would call me bad
And criticize Mama for turning me out
No matter how little we had

But though I ain't had to worry 'bout nothin'
For nigh on fifteen years
I can still hear the desperation in my poor
Mama's voice ringin' in my ear

She said, here's your one chance Fancy don't let me down
Lord, forgive me for what I do
But if you want out well it's up to you
Now don't let me down
You Mama's gonna help you uptown

I guess she did "

Also, looking on the RB site it shows what songs you play and when you set a new score. Nice.
http://www.rockband.com/users/phonciplebone79

If only it would let you show what songs you have in your library to compare to others.

BenjaminBirdie said:
How long does it take for your stuff to show up? I linked up like yesterday? Still got nothin.

:(
Didnt take long for me. I was still linked from RB2. Once linking went live I unlinked, looked up my code on RB3, then entered it. Later that night it gave me the achievement and let me see my career stuff online. The next day it started showing what songs I was playing online. I dont know if it shows every time you play a song, or only if you set a new high score.

I would be interested in setting up some battles between people on here just for fun, and to see what kind of random setlist themes people come up with. That would be fun, and still lets those cheap asses like me on Live Silver compete.

woodypop

PhoncipleBone said:
Phonciplebone79 is my live tag. I get enough people wanting to play, I will jump back in. Or we can just get some good battle of the bands stuff going in here.
Oh, you mean online. I don't play online either, for the exact same reasons you don't. The last time I did, everyone else was on expert and I chose hard (even though I generally play medium). They booted me out or all quit-I forget which.

I pretty much just play locally with friends over. So much more fun.

woodypop said:
Oh, you mean online. I don't play online either, for the exact same reasons you don't. The last time I did, everyone else was on expert and I chose hard (even though I generally play medium). They booted me out or all quit-I forget which.

I pretty much just play locally with friends over. So much more fun.
I do agree that playing with a live group of people is infinitely more enjoyable. It is also fun when the others in the room not playing still sing along to the song. "Under Pressure" is the one song that gets EVERYONE at the party singing. We have yet to have a party when RB3, but I know "Bohemian Rhapsody" will probably be the most played thing, even if we have a lil rule here of never really repeating songs for the entire night unless there are LOTS of requests.

Most everyone who comes over plays on medium at the most, with the occasional person playing on hard vocals. I think maybe two of my friends play on hard guitar/bass, with me being the only person going for expert nearly all the time (except on certain songs where I KNOW I am not going to do well at all). I can five star nearly everything on hard drums (only a few songs kill me), and can do fairly well on expert drums on some songs. I am proud of being ever so close to getting five stars on expert drums on Tom Sawyer. :D

PhoncipleBone said:
Didnt take long for me. I was still linked from RB2. Once linking went live I unlinked, looked up my code on RB3, then entered it. Later that night it gave me the achievement and let me see my career stuff online. The next day it started showing what songs I was playing online. I dont know if it shows every time you play a song, or only if you set a new high score.

Ah. Maybe I need to unlink for RB2.

PhoncipleBone said:
Eh, not sure how it let you put in the code if you were already linked with RB3. Not sure what to say.

No, I was already linked with RB2. I just did some reading and it said you should be able to just "Sign In" in RB3 on a Menu somewhere.

Going to poke around.

BenjaminBirdie said:
No, I was already linked with RB2. I just did some reading and it said you should be able to just "Sign In" in RB3 on a Menu somewhere.

Going to poke around.
I would go to the RB3 menu (in the game) and get your linking code. Go to the RB website, unlink your game. Then link it with the RB3 code. That is what I did, and it worked.

Raistlin

butter_stick said:
The Beatles guitars have an audible noise when you strum, but it's still too mushy and imprecise unless you're a Harmonix fanboy or really care about your guitars looking like scaled down replicas.
Matters the style of the tune in question. For fast-strummed chords (metal, etc), the GH guitars are beasts. For arpeggios and numerous solos, I prefer the Beatles guitar.

PhoncipleBone said:
I would go to the RB3 menu (in the game) and get your linking code. Go to the RB website, unlink your game. Then link it with the RB3 code. That is what I did, and it worked.

Yeah, just unlinked and relinked and WHAMMO! It worked!

YAY!

BenjaminBirdie said:
Yeah, just unlinked and relinked and WHAMMO! It worked!

YAY!
Link to your profile? Curious to see what others in here have been up to in the game. :D Besides, I need to follow someone on the RB website.

Raistlin said:
Matters the style of the tune in question. For fast-strummed chords (metal, etc), the GH guitars are beasts. For arpeggios and numerous solos, I prefer the Beatles guitar.
Fair point. Stuff like that it is great to have VERY noticeable clicks while strumming. Not for sound, but to really FEEL that you hit the note. The RB and Beatles controllers are awesome for solos though, especially HOPO stuff. So nice to just glide over the buttons. I know that since I picked up the Gretsch I have been hitting some of the more complex HOPO sections better.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Does Rock Band 3 let you take pictures?
Not yet. I wish. I really want pictures of Olivia Dunham and the Observers!

And my backup band members, like Lord Humungous! BTW, thanks for the links to profile guys, adding now.

Actually, Benjamin, it wont let me follow you. It shows me your profile, but it wont let me sign in to follow you.

And Pancho: remind me NEVER to get into a guitar battle with you. Thankfully I am on 360. But a pro keys battle for everyone with mediocre keys skills could be VERY fun.

Pancho

Qurupancho
Hey, how about one of us makes an Online Thread to post the links of our rockband.com profiles?

I think it's not a bad idea.

PhoncipleBone said:
Pancho, I am glad to see you get something other than gold stars on a guitar song.:lol "Llama" is a beast of speed and pain.

:lol

I want to do some drumming as well, but my pedal broke and I haven't been able to buy a new one :(

Pancho said:
Hey, how about one of us makes an Online Thread to post the links of our rockband.com profiles?

I think it's not a bad idea.

:lol

I want to do some drumming as well, but my pedal broke and I haven't been able to buy a new one :(
Decent idea. Perhaps I will make one up now. That way it does not get lost in the shuffle of this thread. (Goes to work on a cheap, quickly thrown together thread.)

Pancho

Qurupancho
BenjaminBirdie said:
Man, I'd forgotten how transcendent "Lazy Eye" is to play.

DANG.

Love "Lazy Eye" , however I like "Well Though out Twinkles" more.

I love SSPU, I'll be truly content when they release "Little Lover's so Polite"

Pancho said:
Love "Lazy Eye" , however I like "Well Though out Twinkles" more.

I love SSPU, I'll be truly content when they release "Little Lover's so Polite"

"Three Seed"

no, "Surrounded (or Spiraling)"

no, "Rusted Wheel"

no, "Dream at Tempo 119"

fuuck just give me the whole discography

Pancho said:
Shame on me, totally forgot that amazing song :(

The first two albums are front-to-back amazing. "Draining" is the only song that isn't great.

Weirdly, I'm not a fan of the Pikul EP except for "Comeback Kid."

Top Bottom