• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 3 |OT|

Whoa whoa whoa! Fellas!

I'm sure there are Silversun songs that are just as if not more amazing, but the programming that went into the song's performance; the charts, and ESPECIALLY the lighting and effects, make it pretty much the most hypnotizing and transporting song available in Rock Band to date.

Just amazing.

Pancho

Qurupancho
Thagomizer said:
The first two albums are front-to-back amazing. "Draining" is the only song that isn't great.

Weirdly, I'm not a fan of the Pikul EP.

Kissing Families is the only worthwhile song in the EP, IMO. The rest are meh.

Pancho said:
Kissing Families is the only worthwhile song in the EP, IMO. The rest are meh.
God dammnit, you keep getting me before the edits :lol

"Kissing Families" would be good, but Brian's voice is... unpleasant. Constantly off-key. It's great whenever he's not singing, though.

Pancho

Qurupancho
BenjaminBirdie said:
Whoa whoa whoa! Fellas!

I'm sure there are Silversun songs that are just as if not more amazing, but the programming that went into the song's performance; the charts, and ESPECIALLY the lighting and effects, make it pretty much the most hypnotizing and transporting song available in Rock Band to date.

Just amazing.

I think "Melatonin" excells even more at the whole transcendance thing. I love to sing it, so chill and relaxing.

Thagomizer said:
God dammnit, you keep getting me before the edits :lol

"Kissing Families" would be good, but Brian's voice is... unpleasant. Constantly off-key. It's great whenever he's not singing, though.
:lol :lol

I agree that the song has a very "unplugged" sound. But I really like it, it just clicks.

jgkspsx

Raistlin said:
Pro keys practice mode be FAR better if they allowed you to actually play it as a keyboard ie. play real notes, not just the annoying clank when you fuck up. It would be way easier to learn things.
Yes this. I'm a bit sad they didn't do this - was it really that hard to throw a midi interpreter in?

jgkspsx

Well, I guess I finally got a good TV sync. I'm now in the top 10 on a number of songs on expert solo vox. Not just DLC, but Pump It Up and something else.

Five gold stars seems to be a lot easier to get in RB3, at least for vocals.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem synced to the website yet. My profile in general is like a day out of date.

User page: http://www.rockband.com/users/jgkspsx

mrklaw

MrArseFace
does the game have band/character name censoring?

We named our band 'Cucumber Jelly' (my Son's suggestion, don't ask) but it said 'thats not a classy name and won't show up on leaderboards unless you change it'.

Apart from a 'taste' filter, I can only imagine its because it has the word 'cum' in the middle of it. But its not a separate word so its a dumb filter if so

edit: anyone got a good country setlist?

PhoncipleBone said:
Same here. No need for many of the others to be complete dicks about it.

I used to swear by the GH controllers. The RB1 strat looked nice, but the strum bar was mushy and required a little too much force to get to work. I did like the flat layout of the buttons though.

I used the GH III controller until last year. The only issue with the GH III controller was the connections between the neck and the body would sometimes cause dropped notes.

I got a RB3 strat, and while it is nice, the buttons are just slightly sticky once in a while. Or at least you have to press down directly on the red or yellow ones to make it hit and not catch on the lip. The strum bar doesnt click (thank god, the clicking was so annoying on the GH stuff), but you can feel it actually "press" as you strum. It feels a lot better than the first strats.

The Beatles controllers though are the best for me. The strum bars are nice and quiet, with just the slightest noise when strumming. You can feel it click when you strum so there is no questioning if you hit it or not. The buttons are the best though. The lay flat like the Strat, but have a shorter travel distance it seems. They are the quietest buttons on any guitar controller, and make it easy to glide over the buttons during big HOPO sections.

I do appreciate that the GH controllers now put the back button where the heel of your palm would be though.

And to those complaining that the solo buttons give people too big of an advantage: quit whining. You dont like them, fine. Just dont complain because someone else knows how to use them to beat a precious high score.

And quit being so immature about the controllers and how others play the game. It is getting tiring. I thought we got tired of this kind of stuff with the bloodbath of the last RB thread.
You're so much fun!

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
After playing for 2 days, I still can't get used to the "choppy" effect that the game does sometimes. It always knocks me off rhythm.

Nisa65

Has the fast strumming been made easier in this? I was nailing the rapid strums in The Great Southern Trendkill with my Hofner bass which is something I rarely did in RB2.

Also, Antibodies can go to hell. One of the worst songs to play in the game on guitar and the fact that it has a 2 star difficulty rating is a joke.

butter_stick said:
You're so much fun!
Thank you for contributing. You seem to be continuing your long history of crap, now please just go troll somewhere else because it is getting rather old. At least I explained WHY I felt a certain way and gave merits to both kinds of controllers, as opposed to your responses.

Now that that is out of the way: as others have said, "Antibodies" can go to hell. It is fun sometimes, but sometimes can be maddening to play. I have yet to try drums on it though.

And add me to the "more Silversun Pickups" list. Would be nice to get more from them.

album-who-are-you.jpg

JimiNutz

Banned
Rodeo Clown said:
The remaster of Queens of the Stone Age's self-titled album is coming soon. Get on it, Harmonix.

It's about time we got a QotSA full LP release and you're right this albums re-release would be the perfect opportunity :(

New Career mode seems unnecessarily difficult to progress in. Wife and I are playing our way through, we've gold starred each of the first four tiers and still haven't unlocked the 5th tier. Am I missing something?

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
whatevermort said:
New Career mode seems unnecessarily difficult to progress in. Wife and I are playing our way through, we've gold starred each of the first four tiers and still haven't unlocked the 5th tier. Am I missing something?
The only career mode I can think of would be the road tours. Is that what you're playing?

TheHakku

AvidNobody said:
So I want to change my 360 gamertag... How do I do this for free? Is there a way?!
$10 for 360 Gamertag. Impossible for PSN ID.

whatevermort said:
Done the road challenges? I'm having the same issue. DLC and just more playing. More goals appear with more DLC and exports.

vitaminwateryum said:
The only career mode I can think of would be the road tours. Is that what you're playing?

Yeah, Road Tours. We've played every possible combination of all the songs, and now it's just a bit dull trying to unlock the next tier. We don't seem to get fans for playing individual songs, so how do we now progress?

(On a similar note: Career mode in Rock Band 2 was FAR superior.)

Stackboy said:
So it's safe to say we are all hoping for more Silversun Pickups in RB.

I want nothing less than the rest of Swoon in RB. Also, at least Three Seed.

But, yeah, I really want to play The Royal We. And Growing Old is Getting Old. And all the rest.

In conclusion, SSPU are great and we need more of their songs.

bounchfx

K' Dash said:
I'm not one to be asking HMX to include songs, but I'd REALLY like them to put some Opeth, especially the Damnation Album.

I'll leave Opeth's Windowpane for people to hear and discover this AWESOME band.

opeth1.jpg

while I've been spamming harmonix's Request a song for three years with Opeth and we haven't gotten any yet, Keys are a welcome addition.. though I wouldn't recommend windowpane for a song like RB due to it's repetitiveness and inability to properly represent the band itself.

though it's a fucking awesome song. I just want an Opeth 12 pack in the game :(

Roarer

whatevermort said:
Yeah, Road Tours. We've played every possible combination of all the songs, and now it's just a bit dull trying to unlock the next tier. We don't seem to get fans for playing individual songs, so how do we now progress?

You need to get enough spades (i.e. stars for completing the songs + bonuses for completing the special goals, e.g. streaks, using star power in various ways etc). Each Road Challenge has a bronze, silver and gold goal. As long as you get enough spades to pass the bronze level, the next challenger or "tier" should unlock.

whatevermort said:

(On a similar note: Career mode in Rock Band 2 was FAR superior.)

You only get fans for completing goals.

Go to "Career" and then "My Goals". You can see your completed goals along with the conditions for completing others. Hit "A" (for 360, Imagine it's X for PS3) to have a direct attempt at the goal.

I did the downloaded Songs goals, and it gave enough fans to unlock the next 3 Road trips for me.

Mileena

Banned
Opeth pack
Demon of the Fall
The Twilight Is My Robe
Blackwater Park
Bleak
White Cluster
When
Black Rose Immortal
To Bid You Farewell
Ghost of Perdition
Death Whispered a Lullaby
Forest of October
By the Pain I See in Others

the best Opeth pack possible.

Roarer said:
You need to get enough spades (i.e. stars for completing the songs + bonuses for completing the special goals, e.g. streaks, using star power in various ways etc). Each Road Challenge has a bronze, silver and gold goal. As long as you get enough spades to pass the bronze level, the next challenger or "tier" should unlock.

We've completed Gold in the first four tiers, and the fifth won't unlock. We're only a few thousand fans from unlocking the next bus, and I've done all the challenges I can - I would do the link challenge, but the Harmonix site is still not working, and everything else I can do has been done already. I'm absolutely confused - the fact it's so badly explained in-game doesn't help matters.

bounchfx

AvidNobody said:
Never listened to Opeth, drums?!

Better not be fucking blast beats. I'm sick and tired of blast beats...

maybe like .05% of the entire discography. It's jazz-inspired drumming. some of the best in metal. they would translate to fucking FUN charts.

The posting of all The Who albums does remind me how much we need more from them. Sucks about the masters for half of "Who's Next" missing. "Getting in Tune" would be epic on all instruments.

K' Dash

corkscrewblow said:
Opeth pack
Demon of the Fall
The Twilight Is My Robe
Blackwater Park
Bleak
White Cluster
When
Black Rose Immortal
To Bid You Farewell
Ghost of Perdition
Death Whispered a Lullaby
Forest of October
By the Pain I See in Others

the best Opeth pack possible.

You sir, have incredible taste, congratulations.

bounchfx said:
while I've been spamming harmonix's Request a song for three years with Opeth and we haven't gotten any yet, Keys are a welcome addition.. though I wouldn't recommend windowpane for a song like RB due to it's repetitiveness and inability to properly represent the band itself.

though it's a fucking awesome song. I just want an Opeth 12 pack in the game :(

Where do I request songs? and I still want to play Windowpane :/ guitar could be fun and relaxing.

Top Bottom