• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 3 |OT|

Rewrite said:
That workaround is complete utter bullshit. There shouldn't be any issues with this stuff because they've had plenty of time to test these issues.

Did you even read what the issue was?? When the system is choosing a random artist for a challenge, if he's one of 14 artists out of like a thousand, that can cause the problem. How did you expect their testers to verify that? Everytime that particular challenge comes up, it chooses a random artist out of 1000, as a tester you'd have to be *incredibly* lucky to hit one of those 14 problem artists. And none of the problem artists came on the RB3 disc, which is of course where the majority of the testing would have been done. I'm not saying it's not a bad thing that the game shipped with a bug that bad, but that's not a bug you can say would have been found with just a little bit of time. And even going through the code logically - what single musician/singer would you ever expect to have over 35 characters in their name? It's really a bug from those releases that the name was so long.

The good news is, it sounds like a really easy fix, so I would expect a patch any day fixing that.

Dreamwriter said:
Did you even read what the issue was?? When the system is choosing a random artist for a challenge, if he's one of 14 artists out of like a thousand, that can cause the problem. How did you expect their testers to verify that? Everytime that particular challenge comes up, it chooses a random artist out of 1000, as a tester you'd have to be *incredibly* lucky to hit one of those 14 problem artists. And none of the problem artists came on the RB3 disc, which is of course where the majority of the testing would have been done. I'm not saying it's not a bad thing that the game shipped with a bug that bad, but that's not a bug you can say would have been found with just a little bit of time. And even going through the code logically - what single musician/singer would you ever expect to have over 35 characters in their name? It's really a bug from those releases that the name was so long.

The good news is, it sounds like a really easy fix, so I would expect a patch any day fixing that.

The odds are they'll save it for a big patch in a month or two rather than release it now. Considering how long every RB2 patch took.

parasight

How's stock like in the US? Specifically Buffalo. I'm crossing over from Canada to do some shopping for the weekend and the keyboard bundle is almost non-existant on our end. I'm hoping I can find a bundle at Walden Galeria at either GameStop or Best Buy.

Raistlin

parasight said:
How's stock like in the US? Specifically Buffalo. I'm crossing over from Canada to do some shopping for the weekend and the keyboard bundle is almost non-existant on our end. I'm hoping I can find a bundle at Walden Galeria at either GameStop or Best Buy.

I'll be back in Buffalo this Friday. I can scope things out quickly if you want.

Which version are you looking for?

Pancho

Qurupancho
butter_stick said:
Delayed on PS3 and Wii. Harmonix are pretty much trying to be inept at this point.

Why does HMX make it so hard to be loved :(

HMX, I love your games, I've spent a lot on Rock Band! What more do you want from me???

Raistlin

parasight,

No prob ... I figure it's an excuse to do some early Christmas shopping/browsing anyway.

If you're super concerned, PM me your name and I can try to put one on hold (I assume you'll be there Saturday?). To be honest though, I doubt it will be a problem.

I happened to grab mine at a Best Buy in a Syracuse suburb (I'm here during the week on an assignment). There were a decent amount, and that was several days after launch. I also saw some at a Toy 'R Us and Target here a few hours ago. I'd be surprised if all of the stores at the Gonorrhea
Galleria
are out.

Wow, I sucked on "Wanted Dead or Alive" on the new pack. I gold starred it on the original version, but just barely 5 starred the new version. Perhaps another play later.

Also, "Runaway" is the new guilty pleasure I need to break out with a group. Just so much fun.

And hearing "Blaze of Glory" has convinced me we need the Jeffster version of it in the game, stat.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I went back to Rock Band 2 and what a world of difference it is on guitar. It's just so perfect and playable (in an enjoyable way) at expert play. Rock Band 3 is still playable (frustrating at times due to the transparency) for guitar, but I don't understand why they had to downgrade the highway/fretboard from RB 2.

Rewrite said:
I went back to Rock Band 2 and what a world of difference it is on guitar. It's just so perfect and playable (in an enjoyable way) at expert play. Rock Band 3 is still playable (frustrating at times due to the transparency) for guitar, but I don't understand why they had to downgrade the highway/fretboard from RB 2.
I dont have an issue with the fretboard. At first I was distracted by the effect when you have a 4x multiplier, but it is just like the bass on RB2. After I got used to it, no issues. (shrugs).

I3rand0 said:
After I lost my save last night, I have no desire to play this game ever again and it sucks because that Billy Joel pack is out in a few weeks too.
This sucks. I'm literally afraid to play this game now, because I don't want to lose my save. God dammit.

fernoca

I loved the new fretboard. <3!

In any case, finished the game. Now onto try some other challenges, grab a few more songs and try harder difficulty settings. :lol

Pancho

Qurupancho
Rewrite said:

Man, I don't get you, perhaps your TV is uncalibrated? It took me a few days to get used to it, but now it's perfect. In my case, it's easier for me to hit those really fast alt srumming chains

BigBlackGamer said:
I will never understand fretboard issues. The RB3 engine is perfect IMO for guitar/bass.
No one is happy online unless they are unhappy. The fretboard issues are a "to each their own" thing. Same with the rock meter penalizing you more for missing. Those are minor things that are piddly things to complain about.

Broken export codes and saves deleting themselves ARE big things and legit complaints though.

KaYotiX

Banned
BigBlackGamer said:
I will never understand fretboard issues. The RB3 engine is perfect IMO for guitar/bass.
Agree, I can't wait to get home from work and download te new DLC. Play it for a bit and then finally play some Black ops too.

Is there anyway I can get Lego Rockband through Gamefly and export the songs to my hard drive? I own a 360 and currently only have Rock Band 2. I know you need the code from the manual but I heard there was some sort of issue with this and I was hoping I could exploit it for my own gain.

vg260

PhoncipleBone said:
The fretboard issues are a "to each their own" thing. Same with the rock meter penalizing you more for missing. Those are minor things that are piddly things to complain about.

These are absolutely the opposite of minor. They're nowhere near piddly because both the new fretboard and penalty system constitute changes to the core gameplay mechanic and the "playfield". It doesn't get any more important than that. Strip away all the other stuff and Rock Band boils down looking at the fretboard and hitting notes as they appear and move down it. The fretboard is THE thing you're looking at. A change in visibility there is a change to the most important part of the gameplay UI. How well you see the notes and what happens if you hit/miss IS the game. That is the most major thing. It's the foundation of the game for god's sake. everything else is built on top of it. Backgrounds, song sorting, character clothing, animations, song export delays etc, are all secondary. The fact is these changes that affect the visibility of the main gameplay portion of the screen and core gameplay system the game is built around. To be ok with the changes is fine but to dismiss them as piddly when they affect the game at it's most base level, is not being reasonable.

2&2 said:
These are absolutely the opposite of minor. They're nowhere near piddly because both the new fretboard and penalty system constitute changes to the core gameplay mechanic and the "playfield". It doesn't get any more important than that. Strip away all the other stuff and Rock Band boils down looking at the fretboard and hitting notes as they appear and move down it. The fretboard is THE thing you're looking at. A change in visibility there is a change to the most important part of the gameplay UI. How well you see the notes and what happens if you hit/miss IS the game. That is the most major thing. It's the foundation of the game for god's sake. everything else is built on top of it. Backgrounds, song sorting, character clothing, animations, song export delays etc, are all secondary. The fact is these changes that affect the visibility of the main gameplay portion of the screen and core gameplay system the game is built around. To be ok with the changes is fine but to dismiss them as piddly when they affect the game at it's most base level, is not being reasonable.
And as I said, the fretboard is a "to each their own thing." There are quite a bit of people having zero issues with visibility of the new fretboard, so to them it is not an issue at all. When it begins to affect a vast majority of users, like the LRB export issues, that is a major problem. Is the fretboard a major issue to some? Yes, it is. But to countless other it is not.

It is like the old RB thread where the size of the HOPO notes were a game killing mechanic to some. Not the timing window, but the size of the gems because to some they could not tell it was not a regular strum note.

Do I have issues with any of those things? None at all. As I said, the only fretboard issue I had was for a short while and that was the effect when you hit a streak, but once I adjusted to it being on the guitar as well as the bass (as it was in RB2) it stopped being an issue. The fretboard is no more transparent than it was in RB2 to me, but that is just my eyes.

And being penalized more as a change to the core gameplay mechanic is another non issue to me. Do I fail out of some crazy stuff on expert? Hell yes I do. But I know it is because I missed the notes or my timing was off. Should we also complain that the scores in the game are also invalid because we get more overdrive now?

I think the most infuriating complaint is putting the option of "no fail" in an easily accessible menu. If you dont like that option, dont click it. Pretty simple.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
people can have their issues with the fretboard (which really only comes up during Breakneck Speed), however the guitar engine itself is godlike. It's not nearly as stingy as RB2's however nowhere near as lax as GH3. Perfect.

Haven't been keeping up with the thread but I had a weird glitch tonight.

I was playing bad medicine on keys (easy pro) and there were notes scrolling to the side of the highway that I couldn't play. Is this a dlc problem or a game problem?

canadian crowe said:
Haven't been keeping up with the thread but I had a weird glitch tonight.

I was playing bad medicine on keys (easy pro) and there were notes scrolling to the side of the highway that I couldn't play. Is this a dlc problem or a game problem?
If they are on the far edge of the highway you should be able to hit them. If they are off of the highway, I got nothing.

PhoncipleBone said:
If they are on the far edge of the highway you should be able to hit them. If they are off of the highway, I got nothing.
Nope. They are completely off the highway. If the keyboards weren't so awesome this game wouldn't be worth the upgrade from 2 for me.

canadian crowe said:
Nope. They are completely off the highway. If the keyboards weren't so awesome this game wouldn't be worth the upgrade from 2 for me.
Weird. I will have to fire up that song on pro keys tomorrow to look at that.

I have 1500 songs. :(

BeBe has like all 2000 songs. Trying to post scores for all my songs on guitar but that's gonna probably change when I get my cymbals on thursday. Pro Drums here I come. :D

Roarer

Pancho said:
Man, I don't get you, perhaps your TV is uncalibrated? It took me a few days to get used to it, but now it's perfect. In my case, it's easier for me to hit those really fast alt srumming chains

It's not about calibration, it's the transparency/opacity of the highway. As some have pointed out, it's mostly an issue on Breakneck Speeds and on venues/backgrounds with lots of colors and light where it gets really hard to spot the notes coming unto the fretboard. It bothers me a great bit, and while I have gotten sort of used to it, I would still love to see an option to change the transparency of the highway. Choice is good, no?

Other than that, the gameplay engine is pretty much perfect. The timing window is great, i like the trills sections etc. Don't know about being penalized more for missing notes - it does add a lot of frustration to some of the more difficult songs (failing Saturday's Alright for Fighting several times in a row just because I can't get the damn rhythm down is pretty humiliating), but I understand their reasoning for changing it and there's always no fail mode or the option to continue your run after failing out, so...

Still hoping for a quick patch though. We now you can do it Harmonix. Go go go!

PhoncipleBone said:
No one is happy online unless they are unhappy. The fretboard issues are a "to each their own" thing. Same with the rock meter penalizing you more for missing. Those are minor things that are piddly things to complain about.

Broken export codes and saves deleting themselves ARE big things and legit complaints though.
What the fuck is this? Complaints about the visibility of notes in a music game is about as legit a complaint you can get. Just because you don't have issues with it doesn't mean the many people that do are nitpicking.

elektrixx

Banned
So my Rock Band 3 game, keys and drums finally arrived. I ordered the standalone keys, but GameStop accidently gave me the game & keys bundle!

Does anyone know if a Rock Band 3 NTSC copy works on a PAL console?

elektrixx said:
So my Rock Band 3 game, keys and drums finally arrived. I ordered the standalone keys, but GameStop accidently gave me the game & keys bundle!

Does anyone know if a Rock Band 3 NTSC copy works on a PAL console?
It's region free on Xbox and obviously PS3.

Xevren

PhoncipleBone said:

Do you just enjoy sounding like a complete douchebag?

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
PhoncipleBone said:
And as I said, the fretboard is a "to each their own thing." There are quite a bit of people having zero issues with visibility of the new fretboard, so to them it is not an issue at all. When it begins to affect a vast majority of users, like the LRB export issues, that is a major problem. Is the fretboard a major issue to some? Yes, it is. But to countless other it is not.

It is like the old RB thread where the size of the HOPO notes were a game killing mechanic to some. Not the timing window, but the size of the gems because to some they could not tell it was not a regular strum note.

Do I have issues with any of those things? None at all. As I said, the only fretboard issue I had was for a short while and that was the effect when you hit a streak, but once I adjusted to it being on the guitar as well as the bass (as it was in RB2) it stopped being an issue. The fretboard is no more transparent than it was in RB2 to me, but that is just my eyes.

And being penalized more as a change to the core gameplay mechanic is another non issue to me. Do I fail out of some crazy stuff on expert? Hell yes I do. But I know it is because I missed the notes or my timing was off. Should we also complain that the scores in the game are also invalid because we get more overdrive now?

I think the most infuriating complaint is putting the option of "no fail" in an easily accessible menu. If you dont like that option, dont click it. Pretty simple.
Sorry, but you completely didn't understand 2&2's argument. It IS a major problem when you can't see the notes falling down because of the highway. Maybe it doesn't affect you, but it affects me along with everyone bitching about it on the Rock Band forums. There's a shitload of people complaining about it so I know I'm not the only one that notices it. It isn't a problem when you're playing on Hard/Medium/Easy and hell, even some easy Expert songs. It becomes a problem when you get into a crazy guitar solo on the harder songs in Expert where you can't see shit half of the time and this becomes very apparent when there's a music video playing.

It's funny you mentioned the HOPO notes, because Harmonix fixed it for Rock Band 2 and guess what? It made everyone happy. The same could be said about the transparency of the highway in Rock Band 3. But I guess you wouldn't want that because after all, they're only "piddly" complaints.

PhoncipleBone said:

Fun fact: I only found out recently that RB3 seems to automatically turn no fail on if you play an expert pro instrument. So I've been thinking I've been beating some songs on keys and now I can't be sure because the game literally made it impossible for me to fail without telling me.

But I guess that's just a stupid complaint too!

123rl

butter_stick said:
Fun fact: I only found out recently that RB3 seems to automatically turn no fail on if you play an expert pro instrument. So I've been thinking I've been beating some songs on keys and now I can't be sure because the game literally made it impossible for me to fail without telling me.

But I guess that's just a stupid complaint too!
Does it? I just tried it with Expert Drums and Quickplay mode. I left it to miss every note and failed immediately :D

I don't understand what the system is exactly, but there is some situation where it turns it on without asking you. For example I realised yesterday during my first song it was turned on, and I'd never even consider turning on such a WICKED option.

123rl

Maybe I'm just so bad that I fail even with No Fail mode switched on :D

I believe you though. The game is so buggy that it wouldn't surprise me at all if it did this sometimes

Rewrite said:
Sorry, but you completely didn't understand 2&2's argument. It IS a major problem when you can't see the notes falling down because of the highway. Maybe it doesn't affect you, but it affects me along with everyone bitching about it on the Rock Band forums. There's a shitload of people complaining about it so I know I'm not the only one that notices it. It isn't a problem when you're playing on Hard/Medium/Easy and hell, even some easy Expert songs. It becomes a problem when you get into a crazy guitar solo on the harder songs in Expert where you can't see shit half of the time and this becomes very apparent when there's a music video playing.

It's funny you mentioned the HOPO notes, because Harmonix fixed it for Rock Band 2 and guess what? It made everyone happy. The same could be said about the transparency of the highway in Rock Band 3. But I guess you wouldn't want that because after all, they're only "piddly" complaints.

The fretboard is the last thing HMX should worry about, even people who complain about it (Xevren, butter_stick) have great scores on high tier songs. It's more of a stupid ass nit-pick that people will get use too. If HMX decides to patch it then awesome. otherwise adapt because guess what? everyone else is.

BigBlackGamer said:
The fretboard is the last thing HMX should worry about, even people who complain about it (Xevren, butter_stick) have great scores on high tier songs. It's more of a stupid ass nit-pick that people will get use too. If HMX decides to patch it then awesome. otherwise adapt because guess what? everyone else is.

Some people were able to get great scores in RB1, even without hyperspeed.

That doesn't mean the complaints about it's absence were worthless or nitpicking.

Top Bottom