• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 3 |OT|

Raistlin

Roarer said:
It's not about calibration, it's the transparency/opacity of the highway. As some have pointed out, it's mostly an issue on Breakneck Speeds and on venues/backgrounds with lots of colors and light where it gets really hard to spot the notes coming unto the fretboard. It bothers me a great bit, and while I have gotten sort of used to it, I would still love to see an option to change the transparency of the highway. Choice is good, no?

While I haven't had any problems, I'm kind of surprised it wasn't there to begin with. They should just throw in a slider to control transparency levels.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Raistlin said:
While I haven't had any problems, I'm kind of surprised it wasn't there to begin with. They should just throw in a slider to control transparency levels.
Or at least a transparent/opaque selector.

Raistlin

BigBlackGamer said:
The fretboard is the last thing HMX should worry about, even people who complain about it (Xevren, butter_stick) have great scores on high tier songs. It's more of a stupid ass nit-pick that people will get use too. If HMX decides to patch it then awesome. otherwise adapt because guess what? everyone else is.

smh

There's no gameplay advantage to having the highway transparent. It's purely because Harmonix are so proud of their backgrounds they don't want to cover them up. It's like Criterion making you sit though a 5 second slow motion crash in Burnout all the time when you just want to play. Vain developers :(

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I want an upcoming keyboard note to momentarily flash the top of the lane its coming down, so I can get in position. Especially for songs with large gaps between keys, its frustrating to have to react so suddenly. Not such an issue on normal guitar as your fingers are all over the buttons anyway.

Maybe useful for pro guitar, but generally you don't have such big gaps between sections

Raistlin

mrklaw said:
I want an upcoming keyboard note to momentarily flash the top of the lane its coming down, so I can get in position. Especially for songs with large gaps between keys, its frustrating to have to react so suddenly. Not such an issue on normal guitar as your fingers are all over the buttons anyway.

Maybe useful for pro guitar, but generally you don't have such big gaps between sections
I'm not sure I follow you here.

While certainly flashing would make it more obvious, it's not like they can flash it before the note is already there. And since it's already there, why can't you get into position then?

they need to fix the online stuff. when me and butter_stick were playing Gimme Shelter the audio got FUCKED UP. It got really out of sync. I've noticed this happen in other sessions as well.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Raistlin said:
I'm not sure I follow you here.

While certainly flashing would make it more obvious, it's not like they can flash it before the note is already there. And since it's already there, why can't you get into position then?

sure they can. Just blink something at the top of a note, or blink the lane. they have the chart, they know whats coming up in 5 seconds time for example

Raistlin

mrklaw said:
sure they can. Just blink something at the top of a note, or blink the lane. they have the chart, they know whats coming up in 5 seconds time for example

You actually want them to blink it before the note shows up? That sounds like it would be confusing, not helpful. Wait ... 5 seconds? :lol Holy shit you can't be serious. That actually is not possible. Lane shifts - how do they work? :p

Also, how would blinking the lane not get confusing versus what notes you are currently sustaining?

I don't mean to chafe your nuts, but this sounds like it would be confusing more than anything. More to the point though, again ... why can't you position yourself based on what's actually coming up on the highway? It's fairly easy to see the notes in the back? You haven't answered my original question. What about the current set up makes it impossible to position yourself?

If he means it the way I think he does, as in when there's a long period of time with no notes they flash the lane the next note is going to come down a few seconds early so you can get in position, I don't think that's a crazy suggestion.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
So, the one time I buy a Rock Band game at launch (still waiting for my copy to arrive, damn it), turns out it's a buggy mess.
Going by what I read online, I'd rather be able to export RB3 songs in RB2 at this point* :/

*) Exaggeration

Raistlin

In that case, I can understand it. I thought he was talking about all the time :lol It would be maddening.

Actually I think the best thing would be to list the actual key AND the starting note. The note alone doesn't tell you much.

Raistlin

Jocchan said:
So, the one time I buy a Rock Band game at launch (still waiting for my copy to arrive, damn it), turns out it's a buggy mess.
Going by what I read online, I'd rather be able to export RB3 songs in RB2 at this point* :/

*) Exaggeration

While this may be worse than usual, haven't they always been buggy at launch? Every RB has seen at least a patch or two.

Jocchan said:

*) Exaggeration

Your seeing alot of complaints being made by people who play the game ALOT and on a high level (I'm in this boat but I don't have many complaints about the game). RB3 has problems but it's still the best music game you can buy IMO. A few good patches and RB3 is godly. It really just depends on HMX.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Raistlin said:
While this may be worse than usual, haven't they always been buggy at launch? Every RB has seen at least a patch or two.
Hmmm, you may be right. I bought RB2 less than one year ago, and RB1 even after that (to export its songs), so I probably wasn't paying much attention around their launch windows.

BigBlackGamer said:
Your seeing alot of complaints being made by people who play the game ALOT and on a high level. RB3 has problems but it's still the best music game you can buy IMO. A few good patches and RB3 is godly. It really just depends on HMX.
I sure hope they patch the glitches that corrupt your save (pretty likely) and the backwards leaderboards thing (also likely), but I'm not holding my breath for stuff like highway transparency.
Fingers crossed.

EDIT: About the backwards leaderboards, I don't know why it bothers me so much. I don't give a damn about leaderboards in anything, and sure as hell won't play competitively in RB3. But it looks like a really noticeable mistake, so I'm surprised it slipped past QA.

yea I highly doubt they will do anything with the highway. I honestly don't think HMX see it as a problem. I'm not against them doing something about it though.

Was doing one of the road challenges yesterday with the "spotlight streak"... it gave me (vocals) the spotlight twice, and both times it was when I was on a "tambourine" section.

Result? 3 / 5 spades even though I got 100% and my friend got 99% on the song. :lol

Miroslav

Any advice on the finger placement, im just playing on medium and some songs on hard (normal 5 button mode) and I have some problems to hit some dual color combinations (especially red and blue notes at the same time, those two fingers are dumb, very dumb). Is it better to always keep the index finger at the green button, or do you "slide" the index down depending on the note combination?
Sorry for the noob question but I dont want to get "bad habits" from the beginning.

BigBlackGamer said:
Your seeing alot of complaints being made by people who play the game ALOT and on a high level (I'm in this boat but I don't have many complaints about the game). RB3 has problems but it's still the best music game you can buy IMO. A few good patches and RB3 is godly. It really just depends on HMX.
Actually, I've been complaining an awful lot and I play at expert/medium/medium/medium. I'm at expert vocals (was, thanks RB3 ...). Even at medium, the semi-transparent board bothers me, especially when I have star power activated. Something about the board background changing, the frilly borders, and crazy animations in the background that make things hard to see.

RB2 is the best main RB. I actually would rather export RB3 and play RB2. For a guy who is not shelling $150+ for a pro-guitar, $80 for keys, or $40+ for pro-drums, why in the world would I WANT to play RB3. My issues with this game are well-documented on this board and actually, it's only half here.

Beat the campaign last night. Saw that there were about 20+ QA testers, half of them were leads. I can name 20 issues with this game, just from memory recall. Just think what I could have done if it was actually my job to playtest this game ...

Hige

butter_stick said:
Speaking of keys, Living In America is the most awesome thing ever. Secret best song.
Yeah, definitely some fun surprises in the setlist. Off the top of my head, Last Dance was pretty good, and Viva la Resistance on drums.

BigBlackGamer said:
Agreed. RB3 isn't perfect by a long shot and I don't know why certain things were removed that were in RB2 (mic sensitivity, competitive modes etc.), but it's still one of the best titles in the RB/GH series. The official RB forums are awful though, almost every thread is full of Harmonix apologists insulting people that point out flaws. :lol

Gaming Truth said:
Actually, I've been complaining an awful lot and I play at expert/medium/medium/medium. I'm at expert vocals (was, thanks RB3 ...). Even at medium, the semi-transparent board bothers me, especially when I have star power activated. Something about the board background changing, the frilly borders, and crazy animations in the background that make things hard to see.

RB2 is the best main RB. I actually would rather export RB3 and play RB2. For a guy who is not shelling $150+ for a pro-guitar, $80 for keys, or $40+ for pro-drums, why in the world would I WANT to play RB3. My issues with this game are well-documented on this board and actually, it's only half here.

Beat the campaign last night. Saw that there were about 20+ QA testers, half of them were leads. I can name 20 issues with this game, just from memory recall. Just think what I could have done if it was actually my job to playtest this game ...
You want to play RB3 because you won't be able to get DLC for RB2 from here on out. Also, the store in RB2 is atrocious.

After playing RB3, I'll never be able to go back to the ugliness that is RB2.

butter_stick said:
I blame Dance Central.
That is probably part of the issue. Harmonix lost a lot of staffers last year (someone on here said it, but cannot remember when it happened), and who knows how much of their main team got moved over to Dance Central when they announced it.

As for the save bug issues, etc being patched, I think the patches for this game will take longer than they did in RB2 and whatnot. If the way the site updating and the LRB export codes are being handled is any indication, it will be a while before the issues are ironed out. And it is unfortunate. There are more bugs and glitches in this one than any of the others, and some baffling things removed. Mic sensitivity being a pretty damn huge one.

Thankfully HMX does seem to listen to their users. The speed at which they respond will be something else though.

butter_stick said:
I think the in-game graphics of RB2 are kinda better than RB3 in some situations. It has a more grungy feel.
Some stuff looks better, some stuff looks worse. The animation definitely got choppier. The drummers look like they are from Chuck E. Cheese sometimes with their mechanical motions. I do like the music video effects more in this one though. They are at least more varied than in RB2, but they also happen about 20 times as much in normal play.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Miroslav said:
Any advice on the finger placement, im just playing on medium and some songs on hard (normal 5 button mode) and I have some problems to hit some dual color combinations (especially red and blue notes at the same time, those two fingers are dumb, very dumb). Is it better to always keep the index finger at the green button, or do you "slide" the index down depending on the note combination?
Sorry for the noob question but I dont want to get "bad habits" from the beginning.

I tend to keep my index finger on red, as its easier to stretch it up to green for green notes, or slide the whole hand up if there is lots of green/red stuff going on.

butter_stick said:
If he means it the way I think he does, as in when there's a long period of time with no notes they flash the lane the next note is going to come down a few seconds early so you can get in position, I don't think that's a crazy suggestion.

yeah, this. All the time would be crazy!

Also, I'd like to have more options to theme the game - maybe for RB4 or whatever. If its going to be a proper platform for music I want to play my 80's soft rock, or 90's electronica, or country music not looking like a thrash metal freak.

Raistlin

PhoncipleBone said:
As for the save bug issues, etc being patched, I think the patches for this game will take longer than they did in RB2 and whatnot. If the way the site updating and the LRB export codes are being handled is any indication, it will be a while before the issues are ironed out.
I'm not sure it's an indication of anything. I thought it was out of their hands?

Obviously we can bitch that they didn't get things adequately set prior to launch, but I'm not sure they can do much about the time it will take to address exports.

Raistlin

mrklaw said:
yeah, this. All the time would be crazy!
And that's why I thought you were crazy :p

As I said though, indicating the starting note is not sufficient. They need to do that and list the key. Otherwise you're really guessing at positioning anyway.

Also, I'd like to have more options to theme the game - maybe for RB4 or whatever. If its going to be a proper platform for music I want to play my 80's soft rock, or 90's electronica, or country music not looking like a thrash metal freak.
Separate filters defining each of these would be crazy. Chaining is the solution.

LMAO... they disabled my ability to post in the Lego Rock Band code delay thread (Edit - Actually, the forums as a whole by the looks of it) on the RB website, just because I dared to criticise how they were handling the situation.

I wasn't offensive, rude, or aggressive. What a joke.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
doesn't need to be fancy filters, I'd just like to be able to customise the characters/instruments/venues a little more.

I found LRB to have more character in some ways

Raistlin

Psychotext said:
LMAO... they disabled my ability to post in the Lego Rock Band code delay thread (Edit - Actually, the forums as a whole by the looks of it) on the RB website, just because I dared to criticise how they were handling the situation.

I wasn't offensive, rude, or aggressive. What a joke.
Isn't it out of their hands though? I thought this was MS dragging ass?

mrklaw said:
doesn't need to be fancy filters, I'd just like to be able to customise the characters/instruments/venues a little more.

I'm just saying that stuff like '90's Electronica' is a bad way to handle it because itemizing every logical combination would be a mess.

What I'm proposing is that '90's' is selectable, and so is 'Electronica'. By selecting both, you get the desired effect without a ridiculous list of choices.

Simply offer AND and OR chaining. Actually, NOT's should be in there as well. ie. use query-based filtering.

mrklaw said:

A venue creator would be VERY cool actually. I would still like the ability to choose my venue much like they had before. Perhaps a cheat code to do it is out there.

Raistlin said:
Isn't it out of their hands though? I thought this was MS dragging ass?
We have no idea. Even if it was MS "dragging ass" (and really? How does pressing a button to generate some codes take two weeks?"), they should still be able to give us an ETA... that, or they take some bullshit from Microsoft that almost no-one who runs a business would expect from their suppliers.

"When can we have the goods Mr Supplier?"
"Dunno, might get around to it some day I reckon"
"Ok thanks!"

Personally I reckon that they only licensed a certain number of exports (with the record labels), split them over each platform as they thought was best... and now they're having to go back and work out what it's going to cost them to get more.

Raistlin

Psychotext said:
We have no idea. Even if it was MS "dragging ass" (and really? How does pressing a button to generate some codes take two weeks?"),
There are explanations in this thread for why it supposedly isn't quite that simple.

The reason we have an idea of it being MS is because the issue of doing it via PSN was already resolved.

they should still be able to give us an ETA... that, or they take some bullshit from Microsoft that almost no-one who runs a business would expect from their suppliers.

"When can we have the goods Mr Supplier?"
"Dunno, might get around to it some day I reckon"
"Ok thanks!"
If it is MS, who knows if HMX have an ETA? Now if you think that MS has never done anything like this in the past ... I'm not quite sure how to respond. This situation doesn't make HMX/MTV/EA particularly unique.

I agree they should say something. Locking threads without an explanation does nothing but inflame the situation. The problem is what exactly can they say if it is MS? Business politics makes it pretty difficult to openly point the finger.

Personally I reckon that they only licensed a certain number of exports (with the record labels), split them over each platform as they thought was best... and now they're having to go back and work out what it's going to cost them to get more.
That's possible, but without evidence assuming the worst is kind of silly. Certainly we can bitch that they didn't have things properly prepared prior to launch. As to who's the long-pole now however, that's less clear.

Raistlin said:
There are explanations in this thread for why it supposedly isn't quite that simple.

The reason we have an idea of it being MS is because the issue of doing it via PSN was already resolved.
There are? I've not seen them. I would love to know how it is more complicated than Microsoft generating a bunch of unlock codes though (Aside from the previously mentioned Harmonix / EA / MTV / whoever side licensing issues). As for PS3 vs 360. That could just as easily go back to them still having PS3 codes left allocated. For all we know exactly the same situation could occur on the PS3 at some time in the future (assuming pretty much everyone hadn't already done their exports).

One way or another though, two weeks is far too long for something like this to go on without getting at least a rough ETA... guessing about the reasons be damned. I wasn't even particularly annoyed about it, but stopping me posting (I've only made one post, and like I said, it wasn't a bad one) is just insulting.

Raistlin

Psychotext said:
There are? I've not seen them. I would love to know how it is more complicated than Microsoft generating a bunch of unlock codes though. (Aside from the previously mentioned Harmonix / EA / MTV / whoever side licensing issues)
I'm at work, I'm not searching the thread for you right now. Let it be said I was under the same impression as you - it shouldn't be hard (and posted as such). Someone explained why it isn't as easy as I assumed. Not to say it should be taking this long though.

As for PS3 vs 360. That could just as easily go back to them still having PS3 codes left allocated. For all we know exactly the same situation could occur on the PS3 at some time in the future (assuming pretty much everyone hadn't already done their exports).
*anggggggg* wrong answer.

PS3 did run out of export codes. It was fixed within a couple of days however.

One way or another though, two weeks is far too long for something like this to go on without getting at least a rough ETA... guessing about the reasons be damned.
If they are withholding an ETA, then that is obviously lame. We just don't know if that is the case.

OK, now I'm officially pissed.

First of all RB3 still isn't available in Belgium for the 360.
The PS3 version can be found here and there, but the 360 version is no where to be found.

Second, no periferals for the benelux,
I can't buy the cymbals on their own, I can't even buy a new drumset or the keyboard.

And now, the final drop in the bucket:
I own Rb1, RB2, RB AC/DC and the beatles for the 360,
for a long time RB1 was only available on 360 in our countries, so they left me no choice.
The fact I live in Belgium means I cannot buy stuff from RBN,
as Microsoft was so kind to leave Belgium without XNA.
(I seriously don't know why I keep paying for Gold membership as the service is only a shadow of the service in America)
The fact bugged me for a while now, but started bugging me more when I noticed the Belgian Playstation Store began to get some nice songs from the rbn each week.
Today Belgian playstation owners got their first Death Angel Track, ok it's Dethroned, but it's fucking Death Angel!
I'm so pissed right now I bought the game on the system for which rbn was developed and I can't play any of the fucking underground songs. Also I guess we can forget ever joining in on any of the XNA fun.

Fuck you microsoft and Harmonix fuck you too.

Raistlin said:
PS3 did run out of export codes. It was fixed within a couple of days however.
That's not true is it? As far as their forums are concerned there was a bug / problem with the store, which they fixed.

That's why it didn't work for the first 10 (give or take) days after release, but has been up since then.

Raistlin

Psychotext said:
That's not true is it? As far as their forums are concerned there was a bug / problem with the store, which they fixed.

That's why it didn't work for the first 10 (give or take) days after release, but has been up since then.

I was under the impression that people got it to work initially, and then it stopped working. Some of that my have been site problems, but I thought people later did actually receive some sort of out of export code error.

Again, you'd have to look back in this thread.

Could be... I don't know for certain. From what I could tell from reading the threads over there the main issue involved codes being locked out because of a bug.

All irrelevant I guess. Still doesn't get me my LRB export. =/

butter_stick said:
Fun fact: I only found out recently that RB3 seems to automatically turn no fail on if you play an expert pro instrument. So I've been thinking I've been beating some songs on keys and now I can't be sure because the game literally made it impossible for me to fail without telling me.

But I guess that's just a stupid complaint too!

No fail goes on automatically after you've failed a song and go for a retry.

I fixed my GH World Tour yellow cymbal yesterday, very happy. I'm finding drumming more difficult in Rockband 3 than in GH - have to stick to Medium for this for now, whereas it's hard for me to fail guitar on Expert. I guess it's probably partly the bands I played having great drummers (I played The Police and tRHCPs) but in World Tour I could typically do Hard pretty easily, many songs Expert too.

Anyway, very happy with the excellent support for the GH drums and the fact that I managed to solder on a new connector that works. ;) (I broke it myself by pulling off the cymbal without remembering to unplug it, so that serves me right)

Maastricht said:
I fixed my GH World Tour yellow cymbal yesterday, very happy. I'm finding drumming more difficult in Rockband 3 than in GH - have to stick to Medium for this for now, whereas it's hard for me to fail guitar on Expert. I guess it's probably partly the bands I played having great drummers (I played The Police and tRHCPs) but in World Tour I could typically do Hard pretty easily, many songs Expert too.
I guess it has more to do with the RB engine requiring you to play beats on time and not whenever you want.

Top Bottom