• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 3 |OT|

see5harp

Rented this and I'm very satified with the playlist. My first random setlist had both Phoenix and The Flaming Lips. Also thank God for the Cure finally.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Raistlin said:
Do you have insider info, or is this just speculation?

My understanding is their SQA department had some layoffs earlier this year.

Speculation and experience. I've been in cases where you have 10 weeks to build something that should take 7 weeks, and after 6 weeks you find out you've been building the wrong thing, or the right thing the wrong way. That happens... you're fucked.

Losing so much QA crew certainly didn't help either. Testers are always the first to go, when they're really one of the more valuable assets to a software company.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
The Harmonix news doesn't surprise me one bit. However, we may never get a Rock Band 4 where it could have been the most perfect game ever. Kinda how like Rock Band 1 (in this case RB 3) was OK and then Rock Band 2 comes out and just felt perfect.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Rewrite said:
The Harmonix news doesn't surprise me one bit. However, we may never get a Rock Band 4 where it could have been the most perfect game ever. Kinda how like Rock Band 1 (in this case RB 3) was OK and then Rock Band 2 comes out and just felt perfect.

how big is the rock band demo on marketplace/PSN? They could feasibly release RB4 as a digital download.

jgkspsx

This calls for a Rilo Kiley track pack: "Moneymaker", "It's a Hit", and, uh, "It Just Is"...

this loss isn't good enough
for sorrow or inspiration
it's such a loss for the good guys afraid of this life...
that it just is,
and everybody dies.

pretty bummed, but not hopeless yet, I guess.

AkIRA_22

OK here we go, some big questions that will determine if I buy this game. I have the USA versions of rock band 1 & 2. However I live in Australia. I have a US account and have imported RB1 into RB2. I want to get the US versions of Rock Band ACDC, Lego Rock Band and maybe Green Day: Rock Band and import them into RB3.

What I would like to know is will the RB2 export include the RB1 songs in it? as I have lost my RB1 disc. also can I import ACDC, LRB and GD:RB into RB3? I will have all US versions and buy the license off the US PSN store. This will sound stupid but all my DLC carries over right?

Cheers guys.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
AkIRA_22 said:
OK here we go, some big questions that will determine if I buy this game. I have the USA versions of rock band 1 & 2. However I live in Australia. I have a US account and have imported RB1 into RB2. I want to get the US versions of Rock Band ACDC, Lego Rock Band and maybe Green Day: Rock Band and import them into RB3.

What I would like to know is will the RB2 export include the RB1 songs in it? as I have lost my RB1 disc. also can I import ACDC, LRB and GD:RB into RB3? I will have all US versions and buy the license off the US PSN store. This will sound stupid but all my DLC carries over right?

Cheers guys.

RB1 hasn't imported *into* RB2, its *exported* to the HDD as DLC. So RB2 sees it, Lego Rock Band will see it, and RB3 will see it. You don't need to do anything.

Lego Rock Band has an export that you have to pay for (like RB1). Shouldn't have any issues with that. Same with RB2.

I think that both AC/DC live and Green Day RB have export codes that let you export the tracks for free.

Note that all of these will require the use of codes in the pack, and I think they are all one-time codes. So buy new, not used.

Once you've finished you'll just have a shitload of tracks on the HDD that will be picked up by RB3.

Looks like there's finally some progress on the 360 LRB situation:

I just got a late night update from our Audio team that we finally have 360 LRB export codes in house. They'll be handing them off to the Web team for distribution and I'll be meeting with Web first thing tomorrow to talk about next steps and process to make sure you guys get taken care of asap. I'll update this thread as soon as I know more. Thanks again for hanging in there.

AkIRA_22

mrklaw said:
RB1 hasn't imported *into* RB2, its *exported* to the HDD as DLC. So RB2 sees it, Lego Rock Band will see it, and RB3 will see it. You don't need to do anything.

Lego Rock Band has an export that you have to pay for (like RB1). Shouldn't have any issues with that. Same with RB2.

I think that both AC/DC live and Green Day RB have export codes that let you export the tracks for free.

Note that all of these will require the use of codes in the pack, and I think they are all one-time codes. So buy new, not used.

Once you've finished you'll just have a shitload of tracks on the HDD that will be picked up by RB3.

Awesome mate thanks for the help. looks like I'll be expanding my collection some what.

Raistlin

I have to ask ... has anyone that's been playing pro keys moved to normal keys for the hell of it?

I hadn't tried it until now ... and lol, it's pretty fun :lol I can definitely handle this shit wasted :lol

Raistlin said:
I have to ask ... has anyone that's been playing pro keys moved to normal keys for the hell of it?

I hadn't tried it until now ... and lol, it's pretty fun :lol I can definitely handle this shit wasted :lol
Yeah, I went back to get some achievements because I started with pro keys right away. I was pleased with how easy and fun it was. Easy way to work on general dexterity too.

Shaneus

New news?

***11/11 UPDATE***

Originally Posted by Farslayer
it's really starting to become a hassle checking here like every day, twice a day most of the time......and finding no update =*(
Just so you know, we've been checking in with all the parties involved every day just like you are. It's not an ideal situation for anyone, so you should know that we really appreciate your patience during this whole ordeal.

I just got a late night update from our Audio team that we finally have 360 LRB export codes in house. They'll be handing them off to the Web team for distribution and I'll be meeting with Web first thing tomorrow to talk about next steps and process to make sure you guys get taken care of asap. I'll update this thread as soon as I know more. Thanks again for hanging in there.
Seriously... the question is "How fucking hard could it be?" Really... what parties? Codes are "in house"... what does that mean, they're in an Excel spreadsheet somewhere? Why the fuck did this happen in the first place?

Shit effort, Harmonix. Absolutely shit.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
omg, there's still not enough LEGO Rock Band export codes for 360? This is ridiculous. :lol :lol

Playing keys on a plastic guitar is so fucking hard on Expert. The Green/Yellow/Orange chords kill me. Same with Green/Red/Orange. I got like 3 stars on 25 or 6 to 4 in Expert.

Raistlin said:
Do you have insider info, or is this just speculation?

My understanding is their SQA department had some layoffs earlier this year.
I have some: One of the lead developers on the team (red hair, goatee, info based on a one-time encounter) was asking for ideas for RB3 in March at PAX East.

I dunno if he was serious or just playing the crowd, but:
- at the time, GD:RB was first shown there, not released yet
- he couldn't confirm vocal harmonies
- he didn't talk at all about pro mode
- he didn't talk at all about keys
- the bags they gave away are quite durable. I still use them to carry board games
- summary: he didn't say much of anything. If RB3 was seriously in development for two years, it was only with like, ten people tops for most of it's development.

During RB3's development, a good number of people were working on:
- Physical Track pack releases
- Beatles RB
- Lego RB
- RBN: it's existence and updating existing games to see it
- Weekly DLC

During the credits of RB3, I counted what, 7 developers? Sadly, I know they weren't working on RB3 the whole time because of the list above. It ... was just poorly managed.

JavyOO7

Hmm, I noticed that the Bon Jovi DLC doesn't have Always, Who Says You Can't Go Home, What do you Got and No Apologies. That sucks.

Hop

Gaming Truth said:
I have some: One of the lead developers on the team (red hair, goatee, info based on a one-time encounter) was asking for ideas for RB3 in March at PAX East.

I dunno if he was serious or just playing the crowd, but:
- at the time, GD:RB was first shown there, not released yet
- he couldn't confirm vocal harmonies
- he didn't talk at all about pro mode
- he didn't talk at all about keys
- the bags they gave away are quite durable. I still use them to carry board games
- summary: he didn't say much of anything. If RB3 was seriously in development for two years, it was only with like, ten people tops for most of it's development.

During RB3's development, a good number of people were working on:
- Physical Track pack releases
- Beatles RB
- Lego RB
- RBN: it's existence and updating existing games to see it
- Weekly DLC

During the credits of RB3, I counted what, 7 developers? Sadly, I know they weren't working on RB3 the whole time because of the list above. It ... was just poorly managed.
I'm pretty sure he was just playing the crowd. Can't really talk about stuff that's not announced yet, just from a PR standpoint. So of course they're not gonna talk about Pro when the game itself was only just revealed.

Ridley327

Next week's DLC was already going to be great with the Bee Gees six-pack, but Harmonix decided to take it to a whole new level:

Bee Gees – “Jive Talkin’”
Bee Gees – “Night Fever”
Bee Gees – “Stayin’ Alive” X
Bee Gees – “Nights on Broadway”
Bee Gees – “Tragedy”
Bee Gees – “You Should Be Dancing”
B.B. King – “The Thrill Is Gone” X
Procol Harum – “A Whiter Shade of Pale”

Those last two singles are two of the greatest songs of the 20th century.

Ridley327 said:
Next week's DLC was already going to be great with the Bee Gees six-pack, but Harmonix decided to take it to a whole new level:

Bee Gees – “Night Fever”
Bee Gees – “Tragedy”

Bee Gees would have been enough. I am not a huge fan of theirs, but it is a big enough artist to be an event. So I was waking up today to see the announcement on twitter expecting to be like "yeah, yeah, yeah. Bee Gees."

But then it also said BB King and Procol Harum. Um, yes please! HOLY SHIT YES PLEASE! BB FUCKING KING! Those last two songs are just...yeah. I feel like this is Harmonix and Viacom apologizing for the bad/could be good news yesterday about the sale. Maybe them going "if we are going down, we are going down in style!"

Hop

Ridley327 said:

Bee Gees – “Night Fever”
Bee Gees – “Tragedy”

And that is how you do blues.

I would like to remind people of the dedicated RB DLC thread. Just, y'know, it exists and all.

Raistlin

Shaneus said:
New news?

Seriously... the question is "How fucking hard could it be?" Really... what parties? Codes are "in house"... what does that mean, they're in an Excel spreadsheet somewhere? Why the fuck did this happen in the first place?

Shit effort, Harmonix. Absolutely shit.
I love how you admit you have no idea what the process is, and then call them out for a shit effort :lol

I got this delivered from Amazon yesterday with keyboard, and while Im enjoying it thus far, I wish there was a bigger selection of songs that supported pro keys.

TheApatheticOne said:
I got this delivered from Amazon yesterday with keyboard, and while Im enjoying it thus far, I wish there was a bigger selection of songs that supported pro keys.
Well, it is a ton of songs on the disc that only just came out. Most of the DLC that has come out since supports it as well. I think with all the DLC since the pro keys songs is up to 90, which isnt bad for three weeks worth of stuff.

Daigoro

Raistlin said:

yep playing it like a guitar and singing lead or harmonies is fun as hell. love it

see5harp

I don't know why but it's hard to listen to a Faith No More song with a straight face nowadays. So corny.

EDIT: also wanted to add that I never realized how funky Chicago was. Is their older stuff all like this?

Screw funky, I want my You're The Inspiration. A crappy remix on Elite Beat Agents does NOT filly my need for this song.

Also, A Whiter Shade of Pale is awesome news. I have no money at the moment but I _will_ be getting that.

Raistlin said:

I yesterday unlocked being able to play normal/standard keys parts with my guitar, which is pretty sweet - I played imagine with it, as that doesn't have a guitar part in the first place. :lol I'll definitely get that MIDI adapter once it is out though.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Didn't know what A Whiter Shade of Pale was called but it's one of my favorite songs. I'll definitely look forward to getting intimate with this whole pack.

Any word on which songs will get the pro guitar treatment, or pricing as a whole?

Daigoro

ok, so someone mentioned something about unlinking your old account info on the RB website so you can link RB3 up. any idea how thats done?

the RB website sucks so fucking bad i may not even bother. a far cry from the bungie.net of music games i have to say.

i was never able to get my account linked for RB2 because my gamer tag switched emails, but of course the RB site thinks im somehow already linked up.

also i plugged in my new link code but never completed the processs, now the site is telling me that the code is already in use.

time to give up? such crap...

edit: dunno if i fucked this up for good now or what. i spoofed my email address using a period in between letters and it sent me off the confirmation email. it allowed me to add the RB link code when i was doing the sign up process.

i got the email and clicked the link, it said everything was good to go, but when i go to my account it says i havent linked RB3 to my profile.

probably lost in clusterfuck of a website that is rockband.com.

we'll see that happens when i fire up the game.

jgkspsx

They have the codes!

Everything's ready to go!

Except the web developers!

After all, it's Friday!

They have lives too, you know!

So don't expect anything until Monday!

Possibly Tuesday, but definitely by Wednesday!

Not that they're making any guarantees!

You can always pop LRB back in the drive, you know. Seriously.

otmane

Euro-Gaf, has anyone seen a PS3 Rock band keyboard being sold somewhere?
Amazon France just sent me an e-mail to inform me on a new delay. The new announced date is November 26th... I'm starting to wonder if it will ever be released in Europe!

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
DJ_Tet said:
Didn't know what A Whiter Shade of Pale was called but it's one of my favorite songs. I'll definitely look forward to getting intimate with this whole pack.

Any word on which songs will get the pro guitar treatment, or pricing as a whole?

The "X" next to the song name signifies if it has a pro guitar chart avalible.

This week it is

HMX seem to be hovering around 2 - 3 pro charts per week.

Not counting disc songs pro guitar has got 13 more charts in DLC songs. Not bad for 3 weeks.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
otmane said:
Euro-Gaf, has anyone seen a PS3 Rock band keyboard being sold somewhere?
Amazon France just sent me an e-mail to inform me on a new delay. The new announced date is November 26th... I'm starting to wonder if it will ever be released in Europe!

Nope, I've been looking for it in Ireland for the last 2 weeks now.
I've a pre-order in Gamestop and they say it will be in tomorrow but I'm not holding my breadth.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
they're out in the UK, both bundle and standalone. Try shopto or gameshark.com, both should have them in.

I also got the Mustang for PS3 yesterday along with someone else - both from gameshark but nowhere else is showing stock yet.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Sp3eD said:
The "X" next to the song name signifies if it has a pro guitar chart avalible.

This week it is

HMX seem to be hovering around 2 - 3 pro charts per week.

Not counting disc songs pro guitar has got 13 more charts in DLC songs. Not bad for 3 weeks.

I didn't catch that, thanks!

And I agree, if they can keep this pace of 2-3 songs a week for pro guitar that will give a lot of content down the line. Getting close to 100 songs already, not bad.

parasight

Got my hands on the keyboard bundle finally. It's been a VERY long time since I downloaded all the DLC that came out one week (excluding albums) and I think I may have to do it next week. So much amazing songs. Blues + Disco + Prog. Only in Rock Band would you get this kind of diversity. God forbid the Rock Band series dies after the sale of Harmonix, at least they're going out with a huge bang considering all this DLC lined up post-RB3.

DJ_Tet said:
I didn't catch that, thanks!

And I agree, if they can keep this pace of 2-3 songs a week for pro guitar that will give a lot of content down the line. Getting close to 100 songs already, not bad.
And they said they are only doing pro guitar for songs that should warrant it. Kind of iconic ones or things that would be fun to learn.

So you damn well know they would give us pro mode BB King!:D

DJ_Tet

Banned
PhoncipleBone said:
And they said they are only doing pro guitar for songs that should warrant it. Kind of iconic ones or things that would be fun to learn.

So you damn well know they would give us pro mode BB King!:D

Yeah no doubt, just listening to the intro to that song and it was obvious it was made for pro guitar treatment if anything. Damn, it's going to be a long wait till March :(

Top Bottom