• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 3 |OT|

Daigoro said:
how could things have gone so horribly wrong? The Beatles sounded amazing.

i wonder if people are complaining about this on the official forums? i assume it must have been mentioned.

hope we can get a patch or something. its pretty terrible.

the mixing is much better than RB2. I honestly don't see anyone complaining about it. If you have a problem with hearing a specific instrument just turn up the instrument and turn down everything else in the system settings.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Patch released today for PS3 and for 360 in "near future"

Hey gang,

November has been a wild and wooly month and it’s been awesome to see so many people playing Rock Band 3, especially the people making killer progress in Pro Mode. We’ve gotten some amazing feedback from people relearning keys after taking piano lessons when they were kids and there’s been some ridiculous videos of people learning Ramones songs on Pro Guitar after just a few hours.

We’ve also been tracking all the feedback about requested fixes and we’re happy to announce that there’s an RB3 update going live today that should address some of the most discussed issues of the last month. We’ve received confirmation that this update should be live on PS3 (both SCEA and SCEE) today and will hit Xbox360 in the near future. We’ll update this thread as soon as we have more details.

There is a plan to release another update in the near future to address numerous other items, but these were the most pressing issues that we wanted to target as quickly as possible.

• Arena 12 Freeze (aka The Roadie Amp Loading Screen of Death) – If the amp loading vignette occurred immediately prior to an especially resource heavy venue it had the potential to cause a freeze. Your band should now be able to load their gear uninterrupted.

• Save Data Affected By Especially Long Band Names – Custom / Random Setlists specific to artists with especially long names (most notably Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble, Honest Bob and the Factory to Dealer Incentives, The Presidents of the United States of America, etc) that were not completed before playing through to the next auto save could result in corrupted save data.

• Iron Man Eyebrow Freeze in Character Creator – The Character Creator would sometimes seize up when reselecting the default eyebrow for the Iron Man pre set face. All eyebrows are now safe.

• Pause Scoring Exploit – To prevent abuse of repeated pausing mid-song to pad a score, we now disable score reporting on any song in which a player repeatedly pauses. Your crowd meter should go grey and you will not be able to complete any goals or achievements tied to score during that play through.

We’ll keep this thread open to track feedback to pass along internally. It’s our hope that this update will address some of the most immediate concerns of the community and improve your enjoyment of a game that many of you clearly cannot get enough of. Thanks so much for your continued feedback. It’s your input that helps challenge us to continually raise the bar in music gaming.

Rock on!

-HMXhenry

the fact that they're releasing patches gives me hope for RB3 support. Not that I stopped buying DLC or anything but good to see them getting to work post release.

ugh. With all the problems they have in the game, they're focusing on trying to stop cheaters? smh.

Fix the Vocal OD issue. Fix the horrible keyboard sound glitch (PS3 only?).

When my game isn't even working properly, I tend to give even less of a shit if someone is spending 30 minutes to FC a single song.

"There is a plan to release another update in the near future to address numerous other items."

I think fixing bugs that stopped people from playing the game all together was probably the main priority. The pause button thing was probably a stupid easy fix as well.

drmcclin said:
ugh. With all the problems they have in the game, they're focusing on trying to stop cheaters? smh.

Fix the Vocal OD issue. Fix the horrible keyboard sound glitch (PS3 only?).

When my game isn't even working properly, I tend to give even less of a shit if someone is spending 30 minutes to FC a single song.
The main issues were the freezing and the corrupted saves, and that had to be fixed ASAP. Thankfully they've done that, and hopefully they'll get around to fix the other issues such as vocal OD and the leaderboards glitch. I don't really know of any other issues remaining other than those two though.

I3rand0

BigBlackGamer said:
"There is a plan to release another update in the near future to address numerous other items."

I think fixing bugs that stopped people from playing the game all together was probably the main priority. The pause button thing was probably a stupid easy fix as well.
I already lost my save data due to the corruption issue that just got patched and haven't touched this game since. Ill probably wait until after the next patch is released as I still am paranoid about losing my data again.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
AndyMoogle said:
The main issues were the freezing and the corrupted saves, and that had to be fixed ASAP. Thankfully they've done that, and hopefully they'll get around to fix the other issues such as vocal OD and the leaderboards glitch. I don't really know of any other issues remaining other than those two though.

Only other one I know of is a buffer overflow on foreign characters. Robby Suavé songs get it pretty constantly, causes other random game text strings to appear at the end of his name.

I suspect any more patches won't come until Audition mode is ready, which I'd expect will be 2 months or so. Which is fine, really, gives them more time to find/fix a few more bugs.

Charron said:
Only other one I know of is a buffer overflow on foreign characters. Robby Suavé songs get it pretty constantly, causes other random game text strings to appear at the end of his name.

I suspect any more patches won't come until Audition mode is ready, which I'd expect will be 2 months or so. Which is fine, really, gives them more time to find/fix a few more bugs.

Audition mode?

Varna said:
Pretty interesting that it hit the PS3 first. Are these problems also in the 360 version?

Yeah, but Microsoft's certification process takes longer than Sony's, apparently. Once a title update is submitted by a developer it's out of their hands, for however long it takes for Microsoft to test it. Sony seem to be more hands off.

Hop

drmcclin said:
Audition mode?

RBN testing mode. That'll show up, RBN2.0 will go live, and RBN songs will start to include keys, harmonies, and enforced proper Pro Drums/Keys.

Dead Man Typing said:
Yeah, but Microsoft's certification process takes longer than Sony's, apparently. Once a title update is submitted by a developer it's out of their hands, for however long it takes for Microsoft to test it. Sony seem to be more hands off.

Doesn't MS also limit the amount of patches a game can have? They might be trying to consolidate updates into one big patch. PS3 version has already had 2 updates.

drmcclin said:
Doesn't MS also limit the amount of patches a game can have? They might be trying to consolidate updates into one big patch. PS3 version has already had 2 updates.
You can release as many patches you want for a game on 360, but you'll have to pay after the first 2 (or perhaps it's 3) title updates.

Hop

Next week is Queen, with lots of recycling. And lots of Pro Guitar/Bass, only We Are the Champions and We Will Rock You don't have it.

Queen Extravaganza Pack 01
“Hammer to Fall”
“Keep Yourself Alive”
“Now I’m Here”
“Play the Game”
“Tenement Funster”
“We Are the Champions” (RB3 version)
“We Will Rock You” (RB3 version)

Queen RB3 Enhanced Pack
“I Want It All” (RB3 version)
“I Want To Break Free” (RB3 version)
“Killer Queen” (RB3 version)
“One Vision” (RB3 version)
“Somebody To Love” (RB3 version)
“Under Pressure” (RB3 version)

the way they're treating updates is really bumming me out. I already own the 1st Queen pack, and a lot of these songs would really benefit from harmonies, obviously. But paying $2 for the rare occasion when I get 2-3 vocalists together to play? Not gonna happen. Keys are nice but I'm not as gung-ho about them after trying them out for a while.

The other downside is that they are re-releasing tons of songs when there are still plenty of bands / songs that need to come to RB.

RotBot

Animation-Imp said:
Hmm hard to believe,
the calibration adjusts the game on video and audio lag,
I don't think input-lag is even considered.
All the audio calibration does is adjust the timing window for note hits. There's no technical reason for not adding per-instrument calibration. Some people like to hit slightly early and some slightly late and some people have different sweet spots on different instruments.

A discount on the Enhanced pack for people who already bought the DLC would be fair to those of us who really want to play "Somebody to love" with the Keys and already bought the first pack.

I'll buy the first pack though, love me some Queen.

I3rand0

drmcclin said:
the way they're treating updates is really bumming me out. I already own the 1st Queen pack, and a lot of these songs would really benefit from harmonies, obviously. But paying $2 for the rare occasion when I get 2-3 vocalists together to play? Not gonna happen. Keys are nice but I'm not as gung-ho about them after trying them out for a while.

The other downside is that they are re-releasing tons of songs when there are still plenty of bands / songs that need to come to RB.
Agreed. Should've released the Billy Joel pack for this upcoming week. As someone else already said there needs to be a discount for those who bought the previous Queen pack. You also won't be able to delete the older songs individually as that will require you to delete the entire Queen pack so now you're stuck with 2 versions of the same song.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I bought the Queen pack so I can't delete individual songs. No way I'm having two versions of songs in my pristine library.

The lack of an upgrade pack is silly, but how could they not do a Queen re-release, the keyes are calling out for it! Especially since surely Queen songs are in high demand and the dlc must have done really well before.
They can only do so much. Doubt there'll be a lot of this, even if there are great songs that would benefit from keyes.
RotBot said:
Some people like to hit slightly early and some slightly late and some people have different sweet spots on different instruments.
...?
Am I the only one who sees a logic fail here?

RotBot

Zeouterlimits said:
...?
Am I the only one who sees a logic fail here?
You'll have to explain it to me.

If I'm playing with a Rock Band guitar, I hit a little later than when playing with a Guitar Hero guitar because of the mushy strum bar. And since I've played real guitars, I tend to think of the strum release as the actual note hit, so that skews me early. With drums or pro guitars, there's no such abstraction, so a note hit is a note hit.

parasight

Might get the RB3 Somebody to Love, but I'm really unhappy about paying for the songs twice. Previous owners should at least get a discount.

parasight said:
Might get the RB3 Somebody to Love, but I'm really unhappy about paying for the songs twice. Previous owners should at least get a discount.
I agree that there should be a discount. But Under Pressure and Somebody to Love will be god tier on harmonies.

FUCK I just bought the Queen pack last week.

Oh well, Queen is my favorite band so I guess I'll be buying everything anyway.

I hope the next pack after this one has "It's Late" in there somewhere, that's my favorite track after "Somebody to Love."

Seriously, just release a dedicated Queen rock Band and I'll be happy. I hate paying $20 bucks for songs I already own, but of course I will anyways.

canadian crowe said:
Seriously, just release a dedicated Queen rock Band and I'll be happy. I hate paying $20 bucks for songs I already own, but of course I will anyways.
There won't ever be another Rock Band, so you should be happy with whatever we get from here on out.

AndyMoogle said:
There won't ever be another Rock Band, so you should be happy with whatever we get from here on out.

I know, I just remembered. I wouldn't say there won't be another Rock Band, but it's not looking good at this point.

RotBot said:
You'll have to explain it to me.
The way that line sounded to me seemed to imply a fundamental mistake in that it allows you to play along to the song incorrectly. Surely the point is to not hit it early?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Sp3eD said:
I bought the Queen pack so I can't delete individual songs. No way I'm having two versions of songs in my pristine library.

they should have treated keys like pro guitar, and made them as releasable updates for older tracks.

I3rand0

mrklaw said:
they should have treated keys like pro guitar, and made them as releasable updates for older tracks.
Yeah I agree. Not sure what the reasoning behind this was to not treat them as upgrades. Maybe the old DLC files didn't possess that functionality?

Ridley327

They have to re-license the songs since they have to do further audio separation for the keys part. Unless an artist is feeling charitable, it's going to incur another licensing fee.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
got my mustang finally, love it so far. Was surprised that the fret buttons let you mute the strings as well as press them down. They had said "touch sensitive" but I didn't realize that's what they meant.

Strings feel cheap but oh well. Love it overall.

Daigoro

BigBlackGamer said:
the mixing is much better than RB2. I honestly don't see anyone complaining about it. If you have a problem with hearing a specific instrument just turn up the instrument and turn down everything else in the system settings.

nonsense.

first, it is not better than RB2 because RB2 didn't completely muffle certain instruments so that you could barely hear them. and TBRB had none of these issues and was mixed amazingly well.

second, there are two people right here complaining about it. Rewrite and I.

adjusting the volume for certain instruments is an option, buts it a awfully shitty one. because as soon as i turn one up and some others down im sure there will be an issue with the mixing in another song or playlist and ill have to adjust it again.

also it seems like RB 2 didnt force the dumbass sound effects down your throat. or you could at least adjust them. RB3 is way more in your face with the backround SE and star power type noises.

its an issue.

Mileena

Banned
butter_stick said:
Harmonix just hate their userbase. I would too after the way they've treated them.
That must be the reason that after two Queen packs, we still don't have Stone Cold Crazy and Flick of the Wrist. Get some taste Harmonix.

My wife confessed today that she ordered the Mustang for me yesterday. Completely didn't see that one coming, while I've been watching its release date (PS3 / Europe mainland) come closer and closer wondering if I should pull the trigger or not. Very excited. :D

tmarques said:
Possibly stupid question - is there any way to calibrate instruments individually? I may be imagining things, but it feels like the drums have greater lag than the other instruments. Very annoying.
we felt the same thing. everyone thought it was fine, but the drums felt off. so we calibrated using the drums. everyone else thought it was still fine, but the drums now felt right.

i'd guess that the drums have a smaller margin of error than the keys etc... or it could just be a coincidence that you're experiencing the same thing we were.

calibrate using the drums and see if it then feels off on all the other instruments. i'm betting it won't.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Queen pack is nice, but fucking terrible for people who bought the previous pack already. I'm not liking this route at all.

jgkspsx

Yeah, I'd have more sympathy for you Queen pack buyers if I had left fewer C-notes on Wii SD cards when I moved to the 360 :\

I think I was screwed as badly by Harmonix's download restrictions as anybody, but after a bit of resentment and anger... I just want them to stay alive.

I don't care about a Rock Band 4... just give me content updates and ports to the next generation in a few years, and I'll be happy.

Top Bottom