• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 3 |OT|

butter_stick said:
RB4 is needed ASAP. People were saying they didn't need a sequel to RB1. People are stupid.

RB1 was a great game in a horrible, horrible shell.

I'm sure major improvements could be made to RB3, but I'd rather they invest their resources in smoothing RB3 out (which resolves many, many issues RB1 and RB2 had) and continuing development of the RB platform through DLC.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I said it before but RB 3 is like RB 1. We do need a RB 4 because then, it'll probably be the best music game ever.

jgkspsx

To clarify, I'd be really happy to buy an RB4, especially one that was an 2 to 3's 1. (Been playing 9-9-9, sorry.) But given the choice between dissolution and nothingness and DLC updates and minor patches, I'd take the latter any day.

I think the platform's too valuable for nobody to want it, so my hopes are high.

The people that make DLC probably aren't the same people that are going to be making the RB4 game itself. You're not taking away from DLC by having your programmers and art teams come up with a new game.

jgkspsx

butter_stick said:
The people that make DLC probably aren't the same people that are going to be making the RB4 game itself. You're not taking away from DLC by having your programmers and art teams come up with a new game.
You're assuming that there will be programmers and art teams.

jgkspsx said:
You're assuming that there will be programmers and art teams.
Nobody is going to buy Harmonix to make a few million dollars on DLC. Software and the potential to sell plastic shit are all Harmonix have to offer. If Harmonix cost $100m, you're not going to buy them for some charters you could easily replace by going to some RBN label.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Tried out Pro Guitar for a bit. Jesus, the "realistic" fret sizes are throwing me off more than trying to find the right strings. At least I understand what the "strings don't have varying thickness like a real guitar" complaint though, but just training my brain to adapt to a new plastic guitar is going to be a bit of a chore. Still, hopefully the trainers are good enough to make it fun to learn.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
The new Queen DLC only has new pro drums and guitar?

No Keys track?

To tell you the truth, I couldn't care less about Pro Guitar and Pro Drums. Are there Keyboard parts in these songs?

drizzle said:

No Keys track?

To tell you the truth, I couldn't care less about Pro Guitar and Pro Drums. Are there Keyboard parts in these songs?
Of course they have keys in them. Why wouldn't they have keys in them?

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
drizzle said:

No Keys track?

If any new DLC comes out for RB3 and has a keyboard part they will be charted. For $2 you get Guitar, Bass, Drums, Pro Drums, Keys, Pro Keys, Vocals, Harmonies. For that extra $1 you get the pro guitar and pro bass added to songs that have released pro upgrades (the X next to their name in the announcements).

Quick answer for your question, Almost all of the queen pack that comes out tuesday will have keyboard and harmonies.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Sp3eD said:
If any new DLC comes out for RB3 and has a keyboard part they will be charted. For $2 you get Guitar, Bass, Drums, Pro Drums, Keys, Pro Keys, Vocals, Harmonies. For that extra $1 you get the pro guitar and pro bass added to songs that have released pro upgrades (the X next to their name in the announcements).

Quick answer for your question, Almost all of the queen pack that comes out tuesday will have keyboard and harmonies.
And what will happen when I undoubtedly buy these packs when I already have the old ones? I'll have both versions on my list of songs?

I know the question sounds stupid, but my Rockband 3 game didn't arrive yet, that's why I'm unfamiliar with the split on keys and harmonies on the new DLC that's coming out.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
You'll have two versions of the same song. One will be tagged as RB 3 version (which includes keys & harmonies) and the other will be the regular version from the original pack.

So my Gretsch guitar just went fubared. The up strum doesnt work. LAME. And now it is gone from Toys R Us so no exchanges for me. Perhaps calling up the warranty line.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Okay, I now agree with anyone who thinks the Mustang is horrible. Without "string width", it's impossible to know where your fingers are without looking down. Just pony up for the Squier if you're at all interested in Pro mode.

PhoncipleBone said:
So my Gretsch guitar just went fubared. The up strum doesnt work. LAME. And now it is gone from Toys R Us so no exchanges for me. Perhaps calling up the warranty line.
Buy hardware that isn't shitty instead.

bryehn

Where the hell is Don't Stop Me Now?

I hate the fact we can't just upgrade our existing songs. I'm simply not buying into it.

butter_stick said:
Buy hardware that isn't shitty instead.
All the other Beatles instruments have been rock solid since getting them. As has my RB1 drum kit.

Try saying something thought out for once instead.

bryehn said:
Where the hell is Don't Stop Me Now?
Great song, and sadly missing. I am also sad we didn't get "Seven Seas of Rhye" as well.

My drums (RB1) are busted and won't hold on for much longer. Is the Band Hero set okay? What guitar is in that? It's a decent price here in Sweden currently so I might get that if I get the keyboard for Christmas as planned.

Also, QUEEN QUEEN QUEEN QUEEN QUEEN QUEEN QUEEN QUEEN QUEEN QUEEN QUEEN :D

PhoncipleBone said:
All the other Beatles instruments have been rock solid since getting them. As has my RB1 drum kit.

Try saying something thought out for once instead.

Great song, and sadly missing. I am also sad we didn't get "Seven Seas of Rhye" as well.
Yeah, why would I possibly suggest Harmonix instruments have questionable build quality?!

firehawk12 said:
Okay, I now agree with anyone who thinks the Mustang is horrible. Without "string width", it's impossible to know where your fingers are without looking down. Just pony up for the Squier if you're at all interested in Pro mode.

People bitch about the string width, but I assume that Harmonix did this so that the Mustang could also be played by left handers.

If you had string width, simply flipping the guitar over wouldn't work.

It seems like a fair compromise.

Nick Laslett said:
People bitch about the string width, but I assume that Harmonix did this so that the Mustang could also be played by left handers.

If you had string width, simply flipping the guitar over wouldn't work.

It seems like a fair compromise.
I don't see why 90% of people should suffer for some Flanders.

They should just let you restring the guitar. I assume it has to be possible anyway in case one of the strings breaks.

butter_stick said:

They should just let you restring the guitar. I assume it has to be possible anyway in case one of the strings breaks.
He was referring to the buttons I think, which you technically cannot restring.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Both, really. :lol
The only difference is that the game at least tells you which frets you have pushed down so you can easily adjust if you make a mistake - picking, not so much. It's just frustrating because I know what string I need to strum, but I can't fucking find it without looking down and poof, I miss the note.

Maybe it's a "good" thing because you're forced to memorize the string locations via muscle memory rather than fumble around feeling the strings... I have no idea if that's how "real" guitarists learn how to play though.

Either way, I think the Squier will make pro mode easier. Of course I might just use the trainer on no fail mode and practice on my real guitar rather than pay another 300+tax+shipping to get yet another guitar. :lol

butter_stick said:

Someone broke it open and took some pictures of it. It seems they're connected in a strange way.

Either way, there could have been some kind of elegant solution that accommodated everyone. I was trying to see if anyone has actually modded the strings on the Mustang themselves but haven't had much luck. Maybe the genre really is dead if people haven't come up with crazy mods already.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
firehawk12 said:
Both, really. :lol
The only difference is that the game at least tells you which frets you have pushed down so you can easily adjust if you make a mistake - picking, not so much. It's just frustrating because I know what string I need to strum, but I can't fucking find it without looking down and poof, I miss the note.

Maybe it's a "good" thing because you're forced to memorize the string locations via muscle memory rather than fumble around feeling the strings... I have no idea if that's how "real" guitarists learn how to play though.

Either way, I think the Squier will make pro mode easier. Of course I might just use the trainer on no fail mode and practice on my real guitar rather than pay another 300+tax+shipping to get yet another guitar. :lol

But would you be able to feel the thickness while using a pick? I felt the same as you at first, but I think I've just gotten used to it. I'm up to the hard section of the training now. I really like it.

Minsc

Gold Member
So is RB3 actually worse than RB2? Or is it better, but just needs a lot of work? I guess what I'm getting at, is if you're basically new to all of RB, would you be better served with RB2 (which would be a bit of a disappointment, since I'm looking forward to the Pro stuff from RB3).

I think RB3 is way better, but it does need a few fixes. Supposedly they're coming.

-The new sorting options are key
-Single player is better (don't have to endlessly replay the same songs to progress). Once you finish the Road Challenges (equivalent to World Tour in RB2), you still have all the Goals to hit.
-The overshell menu is a godsend: you can drop in-out, change difficulty, etc on the fly.
-Songs that have been failed don't have to be restarted, you can finish in no-fail mode (with RB2, my RB party nights always ended with failure after failure and everyone got fed up).

Minsc said:
So is RB3 actually worse than RB2? Or is it better, but just needs a lot of work? I guess what I'm getting at, is if you're basically new to all of RB, would you be better served with RB2 (which would be a bit of a disappointment, since I'm looking forward to the Pro stuff from RB3).
Nah it's miles better than 2.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Minsc said:

If you're interested in pro anything I wouldn't bother with 2. Guitar is better than keys, but keys are probably easier to get into. I'd say both, but that's quite a large price tag. Don't have experience with the drums.

I played RB3 at a friend's placer this weekend and I had a blast. I have been out of the music game market for about a year, but now I'm interested in picking it up again. I just wish I had more space at my place. My RB1 instruments are crapping out too, so it would be a real investment to get back in :/

Minsc said:
If you have no legacy instuments you are in the perfect position.

You should buy RB3 standalone, or in the Keyboard bundle if keyboard is a high priority. Personally I'd wait on keyboard and go with guitar and mic first.

RB3 is miles better than RB2. Not just adding pro mode, or the keyboard. But the whole game has been configured to how most people want to play. It is fun, open and more accessible. For those that want to chase highest scores they've now got a detailed score breakdown. But actual on disc song selection is weak.

Any of the legacy standalone guitars are great, either GH4, GH5, RB2. You should be able to get them for a good price now.

If you want an instrument bundle drums, mic & guitar. You might be able to pick the RB2 set for a really good price.

To import the RB1 songs you just need to rent/borrow the game and buy the export key. This will give you another 40+ songs for $5.

You do need to buy a brand new copy of RB2. The reason is so you can export the excellent on disc set list. You should be able to get this at good price. The export is 10$. This will give you 80+ songs and another 20 free downloads. It is a good price to song ratio.

Try to find someone you can regularly play with. If you have someone that wants to sing or be the drummer. The game is 10x more fun if you play as a band.

Lego RB can be found cheap now too which will net you another 40 songs.

This might sound very over the top, but this game lives or dies on the music. The more songs you have the better the game is.

Minsc

Gold Member
Yea, I'm in pretty good shape, got all the old games to import songs, got a 360, got the mics, just need the guitar/drums/keyboard/game.

The comments about wanting a RB4 release soon made me wonder if RB3 was a lemon or something, but glad to see it's not.

Daigoro

butter_stick said:
Yeah, why would I possibly suggest Harmonix instruments have questionable build quality?!

because you're a big douche?

Minsc said:

RB3 is head and shoulders over RB2. need some ironing out for sure, and has some quirks, but there is no going back. RB3 it is.

Daigoro said:
because you're a big douche?

RB3 is head and shoulders over RB2. need some ironing out for sure, and has some quirks, but there is no going back. RB3 it is.
Well said sir! :D

And Minsc, if you want the best deal on drums/guitar the Beatles bundle is $120 most places. If you already have three mics it will be kind of redundant, if not you get that too. Buy Beatles bundle, one more guitar, and the RB3 keyboard bundle and you will have everything except hundreds of songs from DLC. :D Should set you back about $300-$310 MSRP for the two bundles and a RB guitar. Search around and you can find some cheaper GH or RB Beatles guitars, but getting both bundles is the cheapest in the end.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Nick Laslett said:
To import the RB1 songs you just need to rent/borrow the game and buy the export key. This will give you another 40+ songs for $5.

You do need to buy a brand new copy of RB2. The reason is so you can export the excellent on disc set list. You should be able to get this at good price. The export is 10$. This will give you 80+ songs and another 20 free downloads. It is a good price to song ratio.

Try to find someone you can regularly play with. If you have someone that wants to sing or be the drummer. The game is 10x more fun if you play as a band.

Lego RB can be found cheap now too which will net you another 40 songs.

This might sound very over the top, but this game lives or dies on the music. The more songs you have the better the game is.

All very true, especially about importing. Very important that you not get LEGO Rock Band from XBox On Demand, you can't export that version. If you're on 360, this is worth buying. For $30 you get a wired guitar (which is good if only as a backup) along with 38 exportable tracks and a coaster. And it'll open up more export challenges within RB3.

And if the 83 on-disc seems really small, here's how important exporting is- you can have 350 more songs without buying any DLC (99 track packs, 55 RB1, 70 RB2, 20 RB2 Bonus, 45 LEGO, 47 Green Day, 5 Free DLC, 9 HMX Free Updates). Obviously they may not all be what you want and you have to buy the discs, but still. That's 433 songs before you buy anything in the marketplace.

JeTmAn81

Came back from my honeymoon to find that someone had scratched by RB3 disc into oblivion. I'm now a sad panda. I wonder if Harmonix would replace it for me if I write them a letter about what a big fan I am (assuming scratch remover doesn't work).

JeTmAn81 said:
Came back from my honeymoon to find that someone had scratched by RB3 disc into oblivion. I'm now a sad panda. I wonder if Harmonix would replace it for me if I write them a letter about what a big fan I am (assuming scratch remover doesn't work).
Harmonix aren't in a position to be charitable :(

Top Bottom