• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 3 |OT|

RB3 is wonderful, but there are some large issues still, even after the patch.

The game froze on my sister and I twice last night while we were picking instrument difficulty levels. It's when we're on an airplane.

Game is so good we just restarted the PS3 each time, but that's still pretty fuckin' weak for a main entry into the platform.

Oh, and some "talking" parts don't register sound. Can't beat Clint Eastwood because of it, and the laughing parts of Afterlife don't register either. wtf

Vocals feels really, REALLY unfinished. How do you fuck up something that was previously practically perfect?

^I agree, vocals seem like they weren't even tested. I can't believe the Vocal OD bug made it through testing. If you play the game even moderately loudly (which I think most people do), you can't even activate OD.

Also, when playing in AIM mode, there's no way to adjust microphone volume. There is a slight lag in my system (not bad enough to register correctly, but bad enough to throw someone off) and I would rather not have the mic vocals coming through the system.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
levious said:
But would you be able to feel the thickness while using a pick? I felt the same as you at first, but I think I've just gotten used to it. I'm up to the hard section of the training now. I really like it.
I'm still finger strumming like a newb. :lol
I think you could still feel around with a pick. I actually tried it yesterday and I could use my pinky to situation my hand - it'd just be easier if the strings were different.

But yeah, I suppose it's just something you need to get used to. I still think if you're serious about learning and you don't have a guitar, the Squier really is the only way to go.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
so what software for the PC can be used with the Mustang? I grabbed a midi - usb cable but have no idea what to look for.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
As someone who plays on expert guitar with hyperspeed on, I still prefer Rock Band 2 over Rock Band 3 for that reason alone. Aside from that, Rock Band 3 is pretty awesome despite being so buggy.

jgkspsx

Dear lord. I'm in love with the Mustang. I'm using it to play rock songs on piano on my computer, and it sounds so goddamn amazing compared to either my piano playing or my guitar playing.

I feel like I could cry. Competency, at last, thanks to music games--!

Rewrite said:
As someone who plays on expert guitar with hyperspeed on, I still prefer Rock Band 2 over Rock Band 3 for that reason alone. Aside from that, Rock Band 3 is pretty awesome despite being so buggy.
I don't think RB3 took out Hyperspeed. There should be options to change the speed to different levels.

ChoklitReign said:
I don't think RB3 took out Hyperspeed. There should be options to change the speed to different levels.
Breakneck speed is still there. I think it is the slightly more transparent note highway. Some people have a major issue with it, some do not.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
ChoklitReign said:
oops. I didn't really clarify. I know that it's there, but it's awful to play with due to the transparency of the highway. It's become unplayable for tougher song with crazy solos. That's what I meant.

canadiancrowe

Neo Member
Holy shit, the queen packs are awesome. I was pissed off at having to re-buy them, but it is so worth it if you have keyboards. Maybe I'm biased (Queen is my favorite band), but I've never had this much fun with Rock Band DLC before.

Also, HMX does an amazing job mixing the tracks. I never noticed it on other tracks since I don't know them as well as queen songs, but there are parts in there that I had never even heard before.

All in all $20 well spend.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Okay, spent some more time with the guitar. I'm still very frustrated with the string gauge thing, but after trying out some of the trainers I'm not sure I'd get anything out of the trainers to warrant spending the dough on the real guitar.

Part of the problem is that it only teaches sections between songs but not the transitions between settings, so you're jumping from chords that can be anywhere and if you don't know they're coming, you're basically SOL unless you've memorized all the fret positions.

I dunno, maybe I just need to spend way more time on this (it was admittedly nice to finish that shit easy Marylin Manson song on 4.5 stars on medium), but I'm not really feeling it.

I hate to admit it, because HMX may not even exist in a couple of years, but there needs to be a RB4 with better trainers for newbies (and maybe even more improved hardware. :lol).

Kerrinck

Question about buying DLC. I have a pal 360, a pal rock band 3 and a US account. Will it work if I buy songs with my US account?

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
canadiancrowe said:
Holy shit, the queen packs are awesome. I was pissed off at having to re-buy them, but it is so worth it if you have keyboards. Maybe I'm biased (Queen is my favorite band), but I've never had this much fun with Rock Band DLC before.

Maybe?

airborn

Kerrinck said:
Question about buying DLC. I have a pal 360, a pal rock band 3 and a US account. Will it work if I buy songs with my US account?
Works perfectly fine. DLC is region free on 360.

The Rock Band 3 store even marks the songs you've bought on another account. So whenever you login with a US or UK account, you'll always see all the songs you have in your library. Even if they were exported from a track pack. This wasn't the case with Rock Band 2.

k.rad

Neo Member
Does anyone have the MIDI adapter yet?

I still haven't got the game -- though I am REALLY looking forward to it -- but I'm waiting until I can get the MIDI adapter so I can play with my Roland drums, and to a lesser extent, my non-Rockband MIDI keyboard.

Is the MIDI adapter on the shelves in the US yet? I'm in Australia and will probably be looking to import the MIDI adapter to get it as soon as possible.

I'm intrigued about the Mustang impressions. I hope to be getting it later this week or next week at the latest (it's been ordered, but the PS3 guitar keeps being delayed in Europe), and I just can't wait. I have been playing guitar for a long time, but never really paid attention to the string width when playing, so it'll definitely be interesting to find out if I do that unconsciously or if it just won't matter to me. Surely when playing with a single pick, or finger picks, you can't feel the width of the strings anyway to it's hard to see how it would matter.

Regardless, I have little doubt I'll be able to get used to it right now - biggest worry for me is that the guitar is still too small rather than too big (I have rather tall hands).

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
jgkspsx said:
Dear lord. I'm in love with the Mustang. I'm using it to play rock songs on piano on my computer, and it sounds so goddamn amazing compared to either my piano playing or my guitar playing.

I feel like I could cry. Competency, at last, thanks to music games--!

what software are you using?

firehawk12 said:
Okay, spent some more time with the guitar. I'm still very frustrated with the string gauge thing, but after trying out some of the trainers I'm not sure I'd get anything out of the trainers to warrant spending the dough on the real guitar.

Part of the problem is that it only teaches sections between songs but not the transitions between settings, so you're jumping from chords that can be anywhere and if you don't know they're coming, you're basically SOL unless you've memorized all the fret positions.

I dunno, maybe I just need to spend way more time on this (it was admittedly nice to finish that shit easy Marylin Manson song on 4.5 stars on medium), but I'm not really feeling it.

I hate to admit it, because HMX may not even exist in a couple of years, but there needs to be a RB4 with better trainers for newbies (and maybe even more improved hardware. :lol).

you can also practice the full song. I assume you're talking about the "learn a song" mode in training? It only takes you through the major sections of the song rather than the full song, yeah.

The Mustang is shitty for bass, to the surprise of no one. For guitar it's pretty much as good as a video game controller could be; the only issue is the buttons/strings not having their thickness adjusted to match the real thing.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
k.rad said:
Does anyone have the MIDI adapter yet?

I still haven't got the game -- though I am REALLY looking forward to it -- but I'm waiting until I can get the MIDI adapter so I can play with my Roland drums, and to a lesser extent, my non-Rockband MIDI keyboard.

Is the MIDI adapter on the shelves in the US yet? I'm in Australia and will probably be looking to import the MIDI adapter to get it as soon as possible.

It's supposed to be hitting shelves "imminently". There's no solid release date, since they apparently don't do that sorta thing for accessories, but it's supposed to be by the end of the year.

JeTmAn81

butter_stick said:
Harmonix aren't in a position to be charitable :(

Luckily, the banana trick worked so I am back in business :) Still waiting on that MIDI adapter so I can hook up my keyboard and finally play keys in the game.

Hop

perfectchaos007 said:
So is this game compatible with real guitars yet for pro-mode? I remember someone saying that at time of launch it wasn't implimented yet.

I'm not sure what you mean. You can't just plug any guitar in, no-one ever said you could. The Squier is coming out in a few months, and there might be existing MIDI guitars that'll work through the MIDI adapter. But any old guitar, naw, won't work.

Charron said:
I'm not sure what you mean. You can't just plug any guitar in, no-one ever said you could. The Squier is coming out in a few months, and there might be existing MIDI guitars that'll work through the MIDI adapter. But any old guitar, naw, won't work.

Okay but I'm just asking if there are any other guitars compatible other than the Mad Katz 100 button guitar. I don't mind buying a real guitar to play this game, I just want to make sure one is available before I purchase it.

perfectchaos007 said:
Okay but I'm just asking if there are any other guitars compatible other than the Mad Katz 100 button guitar. I don't mind buying a real guitar to play this game, I just want to make sure one is available before I purchase it.

It has to be the Squier they're releasing. Nothing else works, nothing else has been announced to work.

jgkspsx

I really wouldn't get hung up on the 100-button thing. They feel more or less like strings. They have a significant amount of travel. You won't really build up calluses with them, but you will improve your hand strength somewhat doing barre chords.

The biggest challenge for me has been the lack of feeling that the strings on the frets are connected with the strings below the bridge. But I think I'm getting over that. It's not as bad playing real music, since you have immediate sound feedback.

I really wish they had included a midi sound set for the instruments. I know that that probably would conflict with their licensing agreement, but it's awfully hard to learn music when you can't hear what you're doing wrong.

levious said:
what software are you using?
Garage Band. That's why I was using it for piano instead of guitar - it's not picking up the additional SysEx data, so I can't do HOPOs, slides, etc. Sounds pretty funny with a guitar sound set.

Does anybody know of software that supports the full range of guitar functionality?

EDIT:
#1 on expert vocals!

On Imagine!

Along with 250 of my closest friends!

Too bad I don't like most of the song's lyrics :lol

Varna

Can't seem to post any question at the official support forum (logs me out every time I hit new post), maybe someone in here can help me with this issue.

RB3 is suppose to have individual speeds for all tracks right? That's the whole point of that option in the modifiers menu. I tried playing Guitar + Drums tonight and the options would not stick. Every time I turned on hyperspeed on guitar it would turn on for the drums. When I turned it off on the drums it would turn off on guitar. The individual scrolling speed option was the same... either on or off. This is a huge issue for me.

Varna

Wow... holy shit. Just terrible. I could not play with my girlfriend because of this. I can't do well without it and she can't handle expert drums with it on. I take back everything good I ever said about RB3. This was the biggest reason for me to get it.

What the hell is the point of individual speeds without hyperspeed? To preserve the little difference from higher difficulties? What a joke.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
tmarques said:
It's not. At least not on the 360.
Hrm, I could have sworn I read some people here talking about DLC being locked to the region of the game you bought but I could be wrong.

levious said:
you can also practice the full song. I assume you're talking about the "learn a song" mode in training? It only takes you through the major sections of the song rather than the full song, yeah.
That's what I'm thinking now, yeah. But they really should add something that teaches the transitions... but I guess it really is memorization at this point.
A lot of it is me I suppose, because I expect to be able to sight read the songs like you do in "normal" mode. :lol

The trainers should also have some kind of "instant restart" after you miss a note, but that's just nitpicky game stuff I guess.

KaYotiX

Banned
Am I the only one here who hates hyperspeed? I find it annoying. Im not one of those ppl that say it's cheating but I can't stand it

KaYotiX said:
Am I the only one here who hates hyperspeed? I find it annoying. Im not one of those ppl that say it's cheating but I can't stand it
Hyperspeed is only for good players, I'm sure most people can do without. Peasants.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh, another complaint about the Mustang - there are no fucking shoulder buttons, so song selection becomes a chore. Bleeerrrrg. :lol

My Mustang has just shipped from Amazon US, so it will definitely make under the Christmas tree. I would be shocked if this thing ever turned up at Retail in Dubai, never saw any RB instruments just GH.

Funny thing is the You Rock Guitar has had a real push here in Virgin stores. I just did a two song demo and it worked fine for GRYBO. It will be interesting if they ever get it to work with RB3 Pro mode.

Btw my thumb was bleeding after strumming only two songs!

firehawk12 said:
Oh, another complaint about the Mustang - there are no fucking shoulder buttons, so song selection becomes a chore. Bleeerrrrg. :lol
Wow, that is kind of lame. There isn't something like "hold the 12th fret" or something? That sounds really annoying to find stuff using the pro guitar then.

As for hyperspeed: I used it all the time in GH2, but really haven't used it much at all in any rhythm game since. I guess I just got used to having so many other people playing with a band that dont use it that I just adapted.

Navigating with the Mustang is shitty. It's like they made it as difficult as possible. None of the fret buttons do anything, all you have is the D-Pad and the face buttons.

Varna

Rewrite said:
Save. Us. Rock. Band. 4.

I can't believe individual speeds don't work for hyperspeed. What is the point in even having the option?

So I'm a little confused with pro-drums... What exactly do I need? Do I need a RB3 drum set with all the attachments? Or can I use my RB2 drums with attachments?

Also, anyone have any experience with making the foot peddle a little quieter? Living in an upstairs apartment and it's just too damn loud.

Hop

Varna said:
So I'm a little confused with pro-drums... What exactly do I need? Do I need a RB3 drum set with all the attachments? Or can I use my RB2 drums with attachments?

Either/or. You technically only even need one cymbal, but obviously three is best.

As for dampening, setting the drums on a piece of carpet/foam/slightly raised platform have been known to work. Anything between the kit and the floor would help.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
butter_stick said:
Navigating with the Mustang is shitty. It's like they made it as difficult as possible. None of the fret buttons do anything, all you have is the D-Pad and the face buttons.

Yeah, I basically use a controller and then drop out before starting a song. Such a major oversight. :(

jgkspsx

The lack of a category select with the Mustang is pretty obscene. I'm hoping that it's in there and I just haven't found it yet. Did anybody actually read the manual?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, the manual doesn't list anything. Maybe it's something they can patch on the software side - to read the fret buttons - but I kind of doubt it.

firehawk12 said:
Yeah, the manual doesn't list anything. Maybe it's something they can patch on the software side - to read the fret buttons - but I kind of doubt it.
If they can patch adding stars into song selection on RB2, I think they would be able to patch in fret controls for song selection. That seems to be the only real choice for adding sorting to the mustang. Still a pretty weird and big oversight.

Top Bottom