• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 3 |OT|

Tenks

I'd say a very fringe customer. I don't know how many are already guitar enthusiasts, are in the market for a mid range Gibson and also want to play RB3 Pro-Mode. I mean I own a Schecter C1 Elite and I'd love it if that technology could be plugged into my rig but it's impossible. AFAIK the technology being thrown into the Fenders makes construction very specialized so I doubt you can just do a "pick a guitar, click the checkbox to add RB3 functionality" on their website. Maybe in the future but certainly not right now.

JeTmAn81

Archie said:
How long do you think it'll take someobody who has minimal experience with the real guitar (ie able to play a few chords and scales) to pass something like Rainbow in the Dark on pro expert?

Definitely more than a year. Even if you're practicing three hours a day. This is coming from someone who's been playing over 13 years and could probably learn the rhythm to that song fairly quickly, though it would take me quite a while to get the solo down. I'm good enough to play something LIKE that solo instantly. I can already play stuff like that.

But the problem with trying to imitate an improvised metal solo like that is that it's not really very structured, and is chock full of minute rhythmic changes and other things which make it very difficult to imitate, even if you're already capable of playing quick legato runs, big vibratoed bends, etc. The rhythm sections pretty much repeat over and over in a straightforward fashion, but the solo's all over the place. Granted, there are some spots where it's going really fast but is really just repeating the same 3-4 notes. Passages like that sound a lot more difficult to play than they actually are.

Anyway, you've already lost that bet, but I wouldn't let that stop you from trying anyway. Win or lose, if you stick with it you could still develop some real guitar skills.

Minsc

Gold Member
JeTmAn81 said:
Definitely more than a year. Even if you're practicing three hours a day. This is coming from someone who's been playing over 13 years and could probably learn the rhythm to that song fairly quickly, though it would take me quite a while to get the solo down. I'm good enough to play something LIKE that solo instantly. I can already play stuff like that.

But the problem with trying to imitate an improvised metal solo like that is that it's not really very structured, and is chock full of minute rhythmic changes and other things which make it very difficult to imitate, even if you're already capable of playing quick legato runs, big vibratoed bends, etc. The rhythm sections pretty much repeat over and over in a straightforward fashion, but the solo's all over the place. Granted, there are some spots where it's going really fast but is really just repeating the same 3-4 notes. Passages like that sound a lot more difficult to play than they actually are.

Anyway, you've already lost that bet, but I wouldn't let that stop you from trying anyway. Win or lose, if you stick with it you could still develop some real guitar skills.

Don't you think there'll be a youtube of someone playing that solo perfectly on a pro-guitar within a month of it coming out?

JeTmAn81

Minsc said:
Don't you think there'll be a youtube of someone playing that solo perfectly on a pro-guitar within a month of it coming out?

Sure, but it will be someone who was already a good guitar player, not somebody with minimal experience. Although, I guess I wasn't taking into account the button guitar, which will make a lot of things easier than they would be on a real guitar. Still, going from zero to Rainbow In The Dark within a year is nearly impossible.

Tenks

JeTmAn81 said:

At least he doesn't have to learn how to PH since that is used all over the place in that song.

What exactly are the restrictions of the bet? Simply to complete the song without being boo'd off the stage? Honestly I think it's very possible. The main riff is very repetitive in the song so he should be able to build up crowd/score off that riff. The actual solo doesn't seem that bad. From the sounds it lacks alot of complicated arpeggio (except for one part) and mostly it's just blasting the same 4 notes at different sections of the neck without a bunch of complicated scales. I have faith.

Crazy Train will be a harder song to play.

burnfout said:
25 or 6 to 4 ( wtf does this even mean) sounds SO fucking great on guitar and drums!

Can't wait!

Meaning

Chicago fans have long argued about the meaning of the song. When it was released, there was speculation that the lyrics were drug-related; but the same thing was said about many songs in the late 1960s and early 1970s and the rumor has been largely dismissed.[1] Lamm himself says that the title is "just a reference to the time of day," and that "the song is about writing a song. It's not mystical."[2] The time of day in reference is 3:35 AM (or 3:34 AM), which would then be 25 (or 26) minutes to 4 AM. Lamm was not above perpetuating the mythology of the song, though. In one interview, he referred to the song title as "a cricket score." However many still believe that the lyrics clearly describe a psychedelic drug experience.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/25_or_6_to_4

And yeah, I can't wait to play it. I've been wanting that song in RB for a while now.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Archie said:
How long do you think it'll take someobody who has minimal experience with the real guitar (ie able to play a few chords and scales) to pass something like Rainbow in the Dark on pro expert?
:lol

You lose.

JeTmAn81 said:
:lol Archie destroyed.

fisheyes

So just checking, because there was talk a while back that we were getting it early but then that seems to have been pulled back: I can't get this in Australia yet, can I? Its not out until the 28th, right?

mojiimbo

Otrebor Nightmarecoat said:
Where is Van Halen's Jump? Where can I fill out the form to get it in this game? Cause I need this song in the game.
Wouldn't they have done an exclusivity agreement when they made that shitty GH:VH spinoff? I don't think Activision even cares enough to make those songs exportable into GH5/GH6. :-/

JeTmAn81

Rewrite said:
:lol Archie destroyed.

I should add that I wrote my previous post with the real guitar (Squier) and not the button one in mind, so it's not as difficult as I was thinking. But still, going from five buttons to over a hundred, that's a huge transition.

JeTmAn81

Archie said:
>Learn the riff
>Hoard overdrive
>Deploy during solo
>Pray

I got this np

Lemme say this, it seems way more possible to just barely pass it using the button guitar than it does to learn it perfectly on a real guitar. Worlds away, man. You might have a chance.

DJ_Tet

Banned
I AM JOHN! said:
If they're doing a partnership with Fender, why not do a mid-level Strat? Speaking solely for myself here, I've been in the market for a new Strat for a while. If they put those guts into one of the full-size $500 Stratocasters and charged a premium on it, I'd jump in a heartbeat. $150+ might be out of my comfort zone for a controller, but $600 for a pretty good guitar that's there when I have when I either want to play something with that "Fender feel" or don't want to carry around my Les Paul that I can also use in my gooft video game? Hell yes!

Obviously I am one of those niche consumers, but if this pro instrument initiative is something they're serious about supporting, I'd like to see them go all out on it instead of playing to the extremes. And that's what they're doing - playing to the high extreme on the controller side and the low extreme on the guitar side. And I can see them losing a lot of people besides me in the process.

As someone who has owned two Strats in the past, I wish they would go this route as well.

As a guy who plays guitar and videogames though, I'm just amazed this is happening at all.

I'll take what I can get at this point. Look at it more as a practice guitar I guess. I do wish there were more options for existing guitars, it seems like there should be some way to get around having to use the new fretboard tech. But if it was going off of what the pickups heard, there might be too much delay in what you're supposed to be playing and when you actually play it.

mojiimbo said:
Wouldn't they have done an exclusivity agreement when they made that shitty GH:VH spinoff? I don't think Activision even cares enough to make those songs exportable into GH5/GH6. :-/

If they made it exclusive its such a fucking shame

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu2.JPG

grkazan12

Can anyone recommend a Midi to USB cable adapter to hook up to a PC or Mac that is cheap and definitely work for the RB3 Keyboard?

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
Wired All Wrong said:

Is it wrong to say my dick got hard watching that and the level of hype I have for this game can not be explained? This is like my Halo 3, Uncharted 2, Fallout: New Vegas (wait... no, Fallout: New Vegas is still definitely my Fallout: New Vegas)... you get my point. I play these games CONSTANTLY. I make music videos with my characters. I like to discover new music through this game series. I just can't get enough... holy shit.

Unfortunately I'm running into a game freezing glitch where I get a black screen and freeze when I go into character customization.

Hopefully HMX fixes this with a patch so that there aren't any problems for people on launch day.

I'm glad that the Pro guitar is a low end REAL guitar. Otherwise, it'd be prohibitively expensive for people like my sister, who's just starting out with a guitar.

Plaguefox said:
HEY BBG thanks for the fun game time. Sorry about the voice thing; there's just no way I'm going to spend time typing shit on the drums' d-pad. It's awful.

Here's a question! Has anyone else (with the game, naturally) had an easier time getting gold stars on this game than previously? I feel like I'm walking through most of the songs with my eyes closed and hitting gold where I previously had to actually try to pay attention to paths and such.

I dunno!

yea good times. hopefully we can get a band going soon.

on a side note I've been running a "12 Days Of Rock Band 3" Special on my website. I put up a new RB3 video everyday showcasing the game. www.thebbgshow.com

Enjoy.

Pancho

Qurupancho
BigBlackGamer said:

on a side note I've been running a "12 Days Of Rock Band 3" Special on my website. I put up a new RB3 video everyday showcasing the game. www.thebbgshow.com

Enjoy.

I've been following you and you haven't posted a video tonight D:

Deadly

BigBlackGamer said:

Enjoy.
You made me think there was some Coldplay in RB3 for a split-second there =(

It's really one of the dumbest omissions from the RB3 setlist. having keyboard and no Coldplay is almost laughable. They have the most recognizable keyboard riffs in the past 10 years. Something like Lovers In Japan or Clocks would be sick in RB3 on keys.

DaBuddaDa

Joystiq: 10/10

Joystiq said:
Video games -- not just rhythm games, but all video games -- rarely show this much ambition. Even more rare are occasions where developers manage to fulfill the impossibly lofty goals they set before themselves. Rock Band 3 manages both with ease, backing up brilliant ideas with flawless execution. It raises the bar so exceptionally high that, once again, it's just about impossible to see where the rhythm genre is going to go from here.
Destructoid: 9.5

Destructoid said:
It’s a game that’s so solid that Harmonix could continue to support the game with downloadable content for years to come, and fans would find little to complain about. If they’re already dreaming of a follow-up, they’ve got their work cut out for them, because Rock Band 3 seems about as close to perfect as you’re going to get.
Hype +10000000

bounchfx said:
having coldplay would be laughable.

I can see it as DLC down the line though

Compared to some of the crappy keyboard songs that showed up on the RB3 setlist? personal preference aside they belong in a game that features keyboard and a mic. (which is why they have like 10+ songs in every karaoke game that matters)

Also Shiver in GHWT was awesome. At least put Shiver in the game.

The only major thing that is missing from this game for the music genre is actually teaching you how to read music. That is the only major component of learning the instruments that is missing.

Now back on topic:

FUCK "Roundabout" on bass again. Seriously. I am so happy that it is that infuriating on nearly all instruments. It is nice to have a goal to reach to.

Also, I suck at "Fly Like an Eagle" on guitar. It is ranked at 0 stars, yet I barely 3 star it on expert guitar, yet I can gold star a chunk of the nightmare stuff.

Xevren said:
You guys are trying to reason with someone that compared Visions to fine wine.
Good point. Coldplay pisses me off in many ways, yet makes me happy in others. They are a big enough band that it would be welcome to have them in the game. Eventually.

I just want Sir Elton DLC, or some more fucking Radiohead finally.

Dartastic

Memles said:
Great deal, but Dell is notorious for shipping issues - I'd rather pay the extra $22 and know I'm getting it from Amazon (with free two-day shipping with Prime, no less).
Well, I just ordered it with... 7...day... shipping. :/ Granted, I'm not in a super rush, so as long as I get it within that time frame I'll be happy. :lol

BigBlackGamer said:

Sweet, I was wondering where I could watch the rest of these.

Nice work on 'em man.

I havent had Live Gold for years due to the annoyance of people online in general, but this game is making me want to "jump in" again. While playing online is fun, it is nowhere near as enjoyable as having a room full of people playing along.

Must resist spending money to get Live Gold again.

mojiimbo

PhoncipleBone said:
Good point. Coldplay pisses me off in many ways, yet makes me happy in others. They are a big enough band that it would be welcome to have them in the game. Eventually.

I just want Sir Elton DLC, or some more fucking Radiohead finally.
http://www.spinner.com/2009/06/02/harrisons-son-brings-beatles-to-rock-band-hopes-for-zeppelin/

Hopefully he doesn't know what he's talking about. I don't know anything about music licensing but I wonder how much control they have over their own music since Creep and My Iron Lung are already in the game and IIRC they were completely against EMI putting out that greatest hits album and all those special editions a couple of years ago.

Top Bottom