• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 3 |OT|

firehawk12

Subete no aware
PhoncipleBone said:
If they can patch adding stars into song selection on RB2, I think they would be able to patch in fret controls for song selection. That seems to be the only real choice for adding sorting to the mustang. Still a pretty weird and big oversight.

I guess it depends on how the hardware works. The frets don't do anything in the dash either... so, I dunno.

firehawk12 said:
I guess it depends on how the hardware works. The frets don't do anything in the dash either... so, I dunno.
So how do you navigate? The buttons on the body? The Dpad makes sense since there is no up/down strum to register. Unless it is "hit this string for up, this one for down" stuff.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
PhoncipleBone said:
So how do you navigate? The buttons on the body? The Dpad makes sense since there is no up/down strum to register. Unless it is "hit this string for up, this one for down" stuff.

Yeah, there's a d-pad and four buttons and that's it. It's a pain to get around when you're used to normal guitar navigation, but you get used to it. All they needed was one more button for song selection though. :p

firehawk12 said:
Yeah, there's a d-pad and four buttons and that's it. It's a pain to get around when you're used to normal guitar navigation, but you get used to it. All they needed was one more button for song selection though. :p
That can probably be patched in somehow. Or add an option on the pop up menu, much like you can turn on and off drum navigation.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
PhoncipleBone said:
That can probably be patched in somehow. Or add an option on the pop up menu, much like you can turn on and off drum navigation.
I hope so. Maybe people have complained about it on the RB forums. :lol

mrklaw

MrArseFace
pro drums or not pro drums? tempted to buy them to replace my rb1 drums, mainly for fun with cymbals. Does it add a lot to the experience? I have to balance that with getting the evil eye from my wife at yet more plastic instruments (two 5-button guitars, old drums, keyboard, mustang..)

mrklaw said:
pro drums or not pro drums? tempted to buy them to replace my rb1 drums, mainly for fun with cymbals. Does it add a lot to the experience? I have to balance that with getting the evil eye from my wife at yet more plastic instruments (two 5-button guitars, old drums, keyboard, mustang..)
BigBlackGamer said:
Pro Drums is totally GOTY 2010. :D
PhoncipleBone said:
Until I get a pro guitar controller, I cannot argue this.
Super Mario Galaxy 2

Pro drums just made drumming 1000 times better.

That should sum it up for you. Pro drums is definitely worth every penny. And just break down the RB1 drums and put them in a closet for backups. And you would also have a second pedal for double bass action then!

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
PhoncipleBone said:
That should sum it up for you. Pro drums is definitely worth every penny. And just break down the RB1 drums and put them in a closet for backups. And you would also have a second pedal for double bass action then!

Just a warning if you buy DLC. A number of RBN tracks (and a small amount of official DLC) has 'broken' Pro Drums charts. You'll largely be clear with official DLC, unless it has snare shuffle rolls (like Rude Mood or Sin Wagon) as those are the most commonly 'broken' patterns. RBN, check before you buy.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
PhoncipleBone said:

cheers. surprised adding cymbals brings so much to the game. good idea about the backup - can throw them in the loft.

anyone found out a way to trigger overdrive on the mustang without tilting it? I'm currently ignoring overdrive as I can't tilt without messing up my finger positions. There is a socket for something but the drum bass pedal doesn't do anything.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
shit, done it. £80 fuck. Oh well, you only live once, then get stabbed by enraged wife unable to buy groceries to feed the family.

mrklaw said:
cheers. surprised adding cymbals brings so much to the game. good idea about the backup - can throw them in the loft.

anyone found out a way to trigger overdrive on the mustang without tilting it? I'm currently ignoring overdrive as I can't tilt without messing up my finger positions. There is a socket for something but the drum bass pedal doesn't do anything.
I think the mustang needs the official overdrive pedal if the drum pedal does not work.

And let us know your impressions of pro drums once you get them. It takes a bit to get used to, but once you do it is a huge leap.

And like Charron said: be wary of bad charting on some of the RBN stuff with pro drums.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Just grabbed Green Day RB at Target on clearance for $20. Are all the export issues cleared up with the 360 version? I think it was Green Day that had the problems anyway.

Trades back in at Amazon for $19, so for $11 I'll get all the songs, pretty nice deal :D

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
mrklaw said:

did you try select?

Freebird is soooo looooonnnnggggg

I suck at alt-strumming, and its irregular rhythm meant my thumb was killing me at the end of it. And I was only on Hard Bass too. :(

Disappointing that you don't get to see your characters online. I guess account linking isn't there yet.

Got the Keyboard today.

At first I was playing regular style and was like "Yeah, this is okay, I guess."

Then I played Easy Pro Mode and I was "Yeah, okay, this is awesome."

I have no idea why the old mode is even available for Keyboards. I mean I do, but it's like trying to jam, I don't know, something that doesn't fit into something that...does?

BenjaminBirdie said:
Got the Keyboard today.

At first I was playing regular style and was like "Yeah, this is okay, I guess."

Then I played Easy Pro Mode and I was "Yeah, okay, this is awesome."

I have no idea why the old mode is even available for Keyboards. I mean I do, but it's like trying to jam, I don't know, something that doesn't fit into something that...does?
I kind of agree. Perhaps make regular mode one handed play, and pro mode for two hands.

PhoncipleBone said:
I kind of agree. Perhaps make regular mode one handed play, and pro mode for two hands.

Yeah, that makes sense. Don't know how I'll ever go back to those regular Keyboard challenges. It's like learning two completely different instruments. Sort of.

Also, "Nights On Broadway" is the funnest song in Rock Band to date.

Varna

storybook77 said:
Learning to play pro mode correctly means using one hand. :D

I find doing some of the stuff on pro mode impossible with one hand. :(

Right now I am alternating between right and left hand for most section and then I use both when I have to.

storybook77 said:
Learning to play pro mode correctly means using one hand. :D
yeah i know, but that bit in Centerfold? it's so much easier with two and it's more fun with two actually... so sue me!

i do feel cheap for the handful of songs where i resort to this, but obviously you lose out on earning more overdrive and being able to turn it on whenever you want.

I'm in the camp of "play however the fuck you want". If you wanna play with 2 hands who cares. It's the same with cymbal placement on your drum kit.

Trojan X

Banned
BTW everyone (Including EA and Harmonix members as they were curious when I mentioned this) - In this thread I mentioned that when I play the ROCK BAND 3 demo on my Xbox there is this really strange vibration like feature that occurs when you are playing the game. To be more specific, when the notes comes down on the screen it randomly starts to vibrate (or fuzz out of phase) as if it was trying to simulation sound vibration from a kick drum, guitar or bass guitar. I mentioned that this was a really bad feature and one that never occurred on any other version of ROCK BAND. I also mentioned that if the vibration/phase out was intentional then it was a very bad idea as it really strain your eyes for when you play any expert level song where strong concentration for reading is required. Unfortunately, I never received a clear answer as to why this kind of thing happened or what were the thoughts around it if it was intentional, and it was this that stopped me from purchasing Rock Band 3 for £44.99.

A few weeks later... There was an advertisement by TESCO highlighting that they were promoting a new copy of ROCK BAND 3 for £24.99. At that price, I decided to try and "bite the bullet" because I love Rock Band 1 & 2 immensely. So I travelled to TESCO, purchased the game, rushed home, pulled out my drum-set, booted the game, started a quick play and to my surprise and happiness the vibration feature like thing was GONE! This is great news and I guess it kinda makes it more understandable as to why many people were a little confused when I mentioned about this vibration type effect.

So, the moral to this little story is "if you are going to release a demo then MAKE SURE that it is working 100% to satisfaction. Otherwise, you'll probably lose a large portion of the market who have quietly became dissatisfied with the product". So, I wonder how many other people experienced the same problem that I have with the demo and decided not to purchase Rock Band 3 because of it.

Well, after playing Rock Band 3 for a good 2 weeks, I can happily say that the game has definitely improved baring the following areas:

1) Freestyle sections sound slightly quieter and less impactful than the previous game. I have no idea why Harmonix thought to tweak this section for Rock Band 1 & 2 sound solid on all free style sections in the game.

2) Even though there are over 80 songs in the list, I unfortunately only enjoy 3 of them which is not great at all. Rock Band 1 & 2 song listing is much better in my opinion... what a pity.

3) For some reason the game sees my downloaded Rock Band 1 DLC tracks such as "And Justice for All..." but they can't play them. I find this really weird so I hope that someone have a clear answer for this issue.

Overall, Rock Band 3 is packed with solid features that makes it great but I believe that the default songs let down the game though that is solely subjected to opinion.

Raistlin

Heh, came over to post about the Fender.

Got mine pre-ordered. It's annoying you can't confirm in-store pickup at this time. Hopefully that will change before shipping.

Pity it's only available in Black.

Varna

Nymerio said:
Whats the best way to play pro keys? Go through all the tutorials first, or head straight to the songs?

Go through the lessons to learn what fingers you should be using for all the different chords.

KaYotiX

Banned
FlightOfHeaven said:
Played again tonight.

Great game.

Crashed twice again.

Seriously, Harmonix, can't you throw the kids at MIT some sandwiches and get them to code?
That sux, I've never had rb3 crash or freeze on me ever.

RB3 has crashed at least twice for me, although I think both times were during load screens so nothing was lost.

Has there been any official explanation of the MIDI Pro Adapter being delayed so much? Mine is currently scheduled to ship on Christmas Eve. That would be darkly funny except this game has been out since October! I want to play with my own damn keyboard.

beje

Banned
Got the keyboard yesterday and started playing directly on Difficult mode. Taking into account I already know how to play the piano, playing with just one hand feels cheap but it's fun anyway.

Also, importing all RB2 tracks for 1000 Wii Points is a complete deal!

Top Bottom