• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 3 |OT|

grap3fruitman said:
Ffffffff... I'm looking forward to the Squier but I don't want to shop at BB.

[sarcasm]Making it a retailer exclusive is really going to help it succeed.[/sarcasm]
I think Harmonix have gave up on any dreams of it being successful. This is probably the best chance they have of profiting on this misstep.

butter_stick said:
I think Harmonix have gave up on any dreams of it being successful. This is probably the best chance they have of profiting on this misstep.
Best Buy is probably the best bet for any retailer selling it. They have a small musical instruments section in stores, usually right near the rhythm games. They are also one of the few retailers that have enough space to accomodate these things and maybe even have set up for use.

Retailer exclusives suck usually, but it makes sense in this case. Better than Gamestop getting it exclusively.

The game has crashed a total of 6 times on me, and I think I'm being kind. It's probably 8.

Such a damn shame. I hope they make it more stable with the next patch. I also hope they remove the stupid 10 character limit. I already hit it, and I have two more friends who will probably want to make themselves and now can't.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
So they're demoing the Strat at BB's apparently. Anyone check it out yet? If not, I'll probably swing by one this weekend.

Oni Jazar said:
even Imagine? I haven't played keyboard much but that chart looks like it was meant for two hands.

Every song, as far as I'm aware, is meant to be the right handed part for that song. Otherwise, you wouldn't be able to use OD effectively.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I only have enough money in my wallet to buy one of the new queen packs (or perhaps a pick and mix of singles). I have the original queen pack, so should I buy the new one, or rebut the 'rb3' pack for keys. I love keys on queen songs, not bothered about harmonies or pro guitar

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Shadowmancer said:
Anyone know if the Squier will be available in Canada, and if so when? Can hardly wait to get my hands on it.
Harmonix said that they'll be announcing info about 'non-US' territories soon. So hopefully early in the new year we'll hear something.

It's surely a no-brainer for fender to have at least some availability in countries they have distribution in. Even mail order only - they've done the development, it's one guitar that'll work globally. Just logistical sense to make it widely available.

I think they might find a decent market with non rock band people, as a budget MIDI guitar controller.

beje

Banned
Update: it's been almost 6 years since I stopped playing the piano and now, after some hours with the RB keyboard my hand automatically goes to the correct chords just by having a quick glance at the tone/semitone separation between notes. Feels good, man.

Having a Squier demo would be great. My sister REFUSES to consider the Squier as her first electric because she wants "a real guitar."

Weirdly enough, she wants Pro-mode for guitar because she loves Pro-mode on drums.

chunk3rvd

FUCK. THIS. GAME....... Seriously :/

Just finished playing my newly downloaded "We Didn't Start the Fire" and while I waited for my score to come up the game froze. I restarted the system and my save is wiped.

This has stripped all my enthusiasm for the game and I now know how all the people on here ranting about glitches felt. I'd purposely gone out of my way to complete all the guitar and bass goals before I got my keyboard for Christmas. So gutted right now :/

I have to do all those shitty world tour goals and the endless setlist again now! I've easily given Harmoix at least £500 of my cash which I know is less than some people here but I'm so pissed off at them for realeasing such a buggy piece of shit :(

chunk3rvd

I know there are worse things that could happen, but to all those that haven't suffered this yet.... I always thought "this will never happen to me" and carried on in ignorance. Back up your save regularly folks! I know I will from now on

jgkspsx

Which version do you saved-game-missing people have? Is there a way to back up 360 saves? Did everyone download the Billy Joel tracks?

I haven't had a single freeze on the 360 version since the patch.

jgkspsx said:
Is there a way to back up 360 saves?
You can back up the save file using any USB storage device, though you'll have to format it on the 360.

To back up the save you just go to System Settings -> Memory -> Choose your main save device -> Scroll down to RB3 -> Choose copy on the save file.

beje said:
Got the keyboard yesterday and started playing directly on Difficult mode. Taking into account I already know how to play the piano, playing with just one hand feels cheap but it's fun anyway.

Also, importing all RB2 tracks for 1000 Wii Points is a complete deal!

How many blocks does it take? I think I need to pick up a bigger SD card first.

Ark Malmeida

Neo Member
Raistlin said:
Heh, came over to post about the Fender.

Got mine pre-ordered. It's annoying you can't confirm in-store pickup at this time. Hopefully that will change before shipping.

Pity it's only available in Black.

Just got mine pre-ordered too. For anyone interested, they're offering a $25 gift-card for pre-orders now which is a nice added bonus!

DJ_Tet

Banned
Do they ever run deals for export codes (on 360?) I haven't exported my RB or RB2 games because I was too cheap to buy an export code, but I'm interested in exporting them now (just to see how big my RB3 library can get.)

I don't want to waste the points though if export codes go on sale at any point (or have in the past.) I'm not in any rush. But likely if they haven't been on sale yet, they aren't a 'sale' item. Does anyone know?

edit: I also have LEGO Rock Band, would export that as well but it's used...

Ark Malmeida said:
Just got mine pre-ordered too. For anyone interested, they're offering a $25 gift-card for pre-orders now which is a nice added bonus!

Thanks for the heads-up... I was gonna wait and see if I could save on sales tax, but this put me over the edge.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
DJ_Tet said:
Do they ever run deals for export codes (on 360?) I haven't exported my RB or RB2 games because I was too cheap to buy an export code, but I'm interested in exporting them now (just to see how big my RB3 library can get.)

They've never gone on sale before, and I wouldn't ever expect them to personally.

Oni Jazar

Ark Malmeida said:

Geez. I ordered it last week without the gift card. Now it's not letting me cancel the pre-order. Anyone been able to fix this?

edit: Nevermind. I was able to do it in IE. Hopefully canceling re-ordering won't delay the shipment.

I finally got the Mustang Pro Guitar controller today! First thing I did after assembling was trying the MIDI stuff. It worked better than I expected! Every string has its own channel, so you can put a bass sound on the bottom two strings and solos on the top, or use various settings and filters depending on your taste. You can use the square and cirlce buttons to shift an octave up or down really quickly. The only bummer for that is that you can't really do hammer ons/pull offs with it (though you can put it into a mode that does this, but that has other downsides of then not needing strums at all and having no fade away), or of course pitch bends. But other than that I like it, and I didn't expect it to be able to detect velocity when plucking the strings, but it does (though not a great range or precision for that). I like it and it works well with my rusty XV5050.

The onto the game. The training modes are decent if a little frustrating, as they can be a bit aggressive in pausing the tutorial to point out your holding the wrong fret or string, which for me personally holds back the learning, but could work well for others who just don't realise what they are doing wrong. There is a pretty substantial amount of training in the game and I benefit from it even though I've been playing a long time.

I found that the actually playing songs works great when you know what to play roughly both from reading the highway and remembering the sounds, but when you don't know the song well enough, then when you miss the notes you can't hear what you're actually doing, and that is hard - I learn to play along with songs by ear, and when I both can't hear the original song, and can't hear the actual notes being played, that makes learning really difficult! I'm pretty sure I'll get used to it soon enough though, but it basically requires to you learn to read the notes from the highway really well.

I have no real issues otherwise - technicallly everything seems to work well and lag-free.

Anyone any tips that I should be aware of?

The hammer on thing with the MIDI guitar is pretty disappointing. If the Squier works like that I don't see much value in either as a MIDI guitar, but I guess it's more for studio stuff.

jgkspsx

The Mustang does HOPOs, to the best of my knowledge. They're just treated as SysEx commands. I don't know if there's anything, hardware or software, that can handle them besides RB3 at this point. But then, I'm not big into MIDI, so others may know better.

My biggest problem with Pro Mode in general is that, yes, not hearing what you're doing wrong is a killer. I know they want the guitar sound to match and all, but I'd settle for cat noises just to hear what I'm playing :\

So I got Rock Band 3 for Christmas and I've been having some issues setting up the keyboard on my modded Wii. The key board seems to recognize the sensor, but it never outright syncs up to it, never gets a player slot LED to turn on.

- First I put in the batteries, flipped the on switch and pressed the home button.
- Plugged in the dongle and did what they told me too (hit sync button the dongle then on the controller).
- I restarted it after it didn't work and fiddle around a lot and nothing seemed to work.

Is this a common problem? I installed it to a hard drive and I'm booting it off of the hard drive, and I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it or if I'm just stupid and missing something obvious.

Blader

I got Rock Band 3 today. And a lot (maybe all?) of my RB2 songs are playable.

I know you can export the songs, like with RB1 -> RB2, but I didn't download the DLC for that. And I know that when I started up RB3 today, there was a progress bar at the top saying it was downloading 61 items.

So I'm just wondering what happened? Did RB3 automatically import a lot of my RB2 songs, or am I way off the mark here?

firehawk12 said:
It's reading your library of songs - it has to do that every time it boots up.
Yup. To export your RB2 songs, go to "redeem code" under the "get more songs" option in RB3. You then put in the code on the back of the RB2 manual and it will let you buy the export file.

Just started playing it an hour ago. SO. AWESOME. My character looks exactly like me and the challenges are fucking addicting. So cool to see how many random things you unlock after a song. I'm starting to like my Rickenbacker too.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
firehawk12 said:
It's reading your library of songs - it has to do that every time it boots up.
I hate it. You have to wait till it loads up everything before you have access to wherever you want to go. It's annoying because I don't remember RB 2 doing any of that.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Rewrite said:
I hate it. You have to wait till it loads up everything before you have access to wherever you want to go. It's annoying because I don't remember RB 2 doing any of that.
Yeah, it's odd. In RB2, it would reload your library any time you added songs to it, but otherwise it would cache the data so you never had to do it again.

elektrixx said:
Do I really have to rebuy the enhanced Queen songs I already have for keyboard play?

Yeah, I couldn't bring myself to pay the cash. I don't sing harmonies, or play Pro Guitar, so I'd just be paying for the keyboard support, and it's a little pricey since I already paid for the songs. I really thought Harmonix would have a more fair policy for updating old DLC., for those of us who bought it first time.

Anyone who missed the Queen DLC first time around would be crazy to not buy the two packs they have now.

I only rebought Killer Queen, Under Pressure, and Somebody to Love from the packs. All the other reissues I dont play as much, but the three I bought are popular party tracks, so I needed to grab them for harmonies and keys.

It does suck that there is not a discount for previous owners, but they do have to relicense the music.

Kodiak690

Neo Member
I just got RB3 for X-Mas.. I need to get the instruments (I just got the game, but no instruments.. there's kind of a backstory, but it's all good).

Anyway, if I found used instruments, how do I know which ones would work? I have a PS3, are they all wireless or do you need some type of USB adapter? Would instruments from other versions (RB, RB2, etc) work? Are the instuments interchangable between RB and Guitar Hero? Could I go purchase a GH game and play it without any problems?

Also, I've thought about learning to play drums. Would an electric drum set work with this?

Thanks in advance for any help! :D

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Kodiak690 said:
I just got RB3 for X-Mas.. I need to get the instruments (I just got the game, but no instruments.. there's kind of a backstory, but it's all good).

Anyway, if I found used instruments, how do I know which ones would work? I have a PS3, are they all wireless or do you need some type of USB adapter? Would instruments from other versions (RB, RB2, etc) work? Are the instuments interchangable between RB and Guitar Hero? Could I go purchase a GH game and play it without any problems?

Also, I've thought about learning to play drums. Would an electric drum set work with this?

Thanks in advance for any help! :D

As long as the console's correct, you should be able to get any edition and it'll work. PS3 does use dongles, so make sure you have them for each bit of hardware. E-drums, you'll need the midi adapter.

As for GH/RB compatibility, check this. Note that Guitar Hero drums are kind of a funky implementation because of the lane differences.

Top Bottom