• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 3 |OT|

DuckRacer

e: ^^^ hit more notes, scrub ;D
firehawk12 said:
Yeah, it's odd. In RB2, it would reload your library any time you added songs to it, but otherwise it would cache the data so you never had to do it again.
RB3's DLC loading process is the same as RB2's, RB3 just offers a visual prompt. It probably seems longer because there's not a unique message of the day anymore and activating modifiers takes far less time now. Plus there's the RB2 export that it has to load up.

DuckRacer said:
e: ^^^ hit more notes, scrub ;D

*CHOKE*

It's so harrrrd!!

The worst is the one where you have to launch overdrive witha Full Multiplier and like you hit 4x and you reach Overdrive and when you tilt the guitar you FUCK UP but Overdrive gets launched anyway and so you just fucking BLEW your shot!!

DANNNNG!!
So, hard, man.

mojiimbo

SilentProtagonist said:
Hey is there a way to import your rock band 2 songs into rock band 3 if you say... lost the manual to rock band 2 and don't have the code?
Email EA support and explain that you lost your manual and need an export code. They might ask you for a picture of your RB2 disc.

BenjaminBirdie said:
*CHOKE*

It's so harrrrd!!

The worst is the one where you have to launch overdrive witha Full Multiplier and like you hit 4x and you reach Overdrive and when you tilt the guitar you FUCK UP but Overdrive gets launched anyway and so you just fucking BLEW your shot!!

DANNNNG!!
So, hard, man.

Use button star power instead of tilt then. Also pick easier events that feature easier genres of music from your dlc stash. Pick something that's like sing Green Day and not drum punk songs.

SaggyMonkey said:
Use button star power instead of tilt then. Also pick easier events that feature easier genres of music from your dlc stash. Pick something that's like sing Green Day and not drum punk songs.

Yeah no I switched to Grunge from Classic but still. It's hard. My brain, she gets confused. Using the button sometimes mixes me up.

WHAT CAN I SAY, I LOVE ROCK BAND BUT AM SOMETIMES NOT GOOD AT IT.

:(

Dammit, wtf is up with the MIDI adapter. They'd delayed it 'til end of December... here we are! Not Yet Shipped.. Amazon has no indication of when it'll show up in stock. Another month goes by without playing pro drums.

n3lnib.jpg

Yes.

papercut

Need some help:

I have RB3 and I downloaded the two Dinosaur Jr. songs. Problem is, they don't show up in my song list, even though they show up as downloaded in the store. I can't re-download them, and RB3 seems to have accounted for them in the "Loading X new songs" message that appeared when I went to try them out.

Has this happened to anyone else, and is there a solution?

Thanks GAF.

Ridley327

There's a known issue with those two songs, as well as the Anvil pack and Tribute by Tenacious D. There's been no communication on when they'll re-upload them.

Miroslav

Im having a hard time switching from medium to hard on normal, non-pro, guitar. I can 95+% every song on the game on medium, but I cant pass any song on hard, not even the intro. Any advice guys on songs, playing techniques, etc?

Miroslav said:
Im having a hard time switching from medium to hard on normal, non-pro, guitar. I can 95+% every song on the game on medium, but I cant pass any song on hard, not even the intro. Any advice guys on songs, playing techniques, etc?
Start with your finger on red. Only move to green wen you need to. Get used to moving your whole hand up and down the neck, don't associate one finger with one fret.

Mileena

Banned
Keep your fingers on RYBO and slide up for green. Also, learn how to alt-strum. You will never be good at expert if you can't.

corkscrewblow said:
Keep your fingers on RYBO and slide up for green. Also, learn how to alt-strum. You will never be good at expert if you can't.

This is my current issue. I'm in the same position as the other poster, but it's Hard -> Expert.

I can pass 1 and 2 star Expert songs, but anything above that slays me.

Miroslav

corkscrewblow said:

omg changing finger positioning is going to be a pain in the ass! i have been using index->green since gh III. I may want to restart playing on easy with the new position.

I'm making a good habit of moving my hand on RYB notes even when I don't have to. Hell, I can easily pass most low-tier songs on hard; I just can't 5-star them yet.

Also, learn how to alt-strum. You will never be good at expert if you can't.
Wrong. I've heard of a guy who's OMBFC'd tons of songs and he said he up-strums. Most people will play worse when they alt-strum at the beginning.

butter_stick said:
Learning to alt strum can never be a bad thing.
Never a bad thing, but not an absolute requirement to do well on expert. I can five star a large chunk of the game on expert guitar without alt strum. BUT the stuff with super fast sections like Crazy Train and whatnot I cannot five star because I cannot alt strum well enough.

Accurate alt strum is something I have been meaning to practice on, but I keep falling back onto old habits instead of concentrating.

Also, I keep my hand on GRYB all the time and shift down to orange when it is needed. The trick is just find out whatever method works best and practice. I have a friend that holds on RYBO and uses his thumb for green. He has giant hands though.

Hige

SaggyMonkey said:
Dammit, wtf is up with the MIDI adapter. They'd delayed it 'til end of December... here we are! Not Yet Shipped.. Amazon has no indication of when it'll show up in stock. Another month goes by without playing pro drums.
When did you order it? Mine has an estimated delivery of the 28th with one-day shipping and I pre-ordered in early October when they first appeared on the site. Also, it's Sunday so nothing ships out yet.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
SaggyMonkey said:

There's not a picture of John Drake that is not ridiculous. I'm certain of this.

Hige said:
When did you order it? Mine has an estimated delivery of the 28th with one-day shipping and I pre-ordered in early October when they first appeared on the site. Also, it's Sunday so nothing ships out yet.

Apparently accessories don't really get release dates, officially, so they can say "it should be out on X" but nobody's 100% sure. Which sucks. I've got an e-drum kit I wanna use as an RB kit as well, so I want that damn thing to come out too....

Hige

Charron said:
Apparently accessories don't really get release dates, officially, so they can say "it should be out on X" but nobody's 100% sure. Which sucks. I've got an e-drum kit I wanna use as an RB kit as well, so I want that damn thing to come out too....
Well, the PS3 and Wii adapters are showing "In Stock" on Amazon's website now. There's several third party sellers selling the adapter through Amazon now too. Looks like it's finally on sale if those versions are already being sold. Only the 360 version says "Temporarily out of stock". And if we go the conspiracy theory route :)lol), some people believed the MIDI adapter delay from November to December was so Mad Catz could push their drum/keyboard/cymbal sales for Christmas.

JMizzlin

Bought the B:RB bundle this March from Australian store JB Hi-Fi Online, and have been loving it thoroughly (particularly the Hoffner bass due to it's size).

However this morning I turned on my Bass controller to play some RB3 only to find my strum bar had finally died. It was working perfectly fine, and I last played it last night, when it played as perfectly as it always did. However this afternoon, out of nowhere, it's failed on me.

Now, I've done some sleuthing and discovered there is no longer an EA Support Site for Rock Band, and I REALLY want to get this guitar fixed (considering it's a Beatles edition guitar). Can anybody direct me to official replacement or repair support? It'd be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Mileena

Banned
PhoncipleBone said:
Never a bad thing, but not an absolute requirement to do well on expert. I can five star a large chunk of the game on expert guitar without alt strum. BUT the stuff with super fast sections like Crazy Train and whatnot I cannot five star because I cannot alt strum well enough.
...and a good chunk of the songs in the game are ridiculously easy on expert guitar. If you want some good practice for alt-strumming I recommend GH3. Stuff like Take This Life, FCPREMIX, Number of the Beast, etc will definitely help you in the long run. Crazy Train is really damn easy once you can alt-strum. Oh yea, using a GH guitar definitely helps because of the clicking. Just another way they're superior to poop RB guitars.

Similar thing: Bought B:RB on sale on Boxing day, got everything working, but the Bass Guitar. It won't even connect. Found the RB Support site, but when I tried to submit a request for replacement, the site doesn't even work!

Hige said:

Ordered in early November. My estimated delivery still shows a two month range. Hope it's not vaporware even longer.

jgkspsx said:
The Mustang does HOPOs, to the best of my knowledge. They're just treated as SysEx commands. I don't know if there's anything, hardware or software, that can handle them besides RB3 at this point. But then, I'm not big into MIDI, so others may know better.

Well, like I said it can do them, but then that requires you to be in a different mode (one where you can do the Van Halen type stuff, by not having to actually use the strings at all). Other than that though, the implementation is pretty good.

My biggest problem with Pro Mode in general is that, yes, not hearing what you're doing wrong is a killer. I know they want the guitar sound to match and all, but I'd settle for cat noises just to hear what I'm playing :\

Yeah. I have to say though, I am getting used to it slowly. It basically requires you to memorize the positions and find them nearly blindly. This is a bit of a bugger in the beginning, but it does make me play better. This game is also really good for my plectrum work - I have always been more of a finger picking style player, but although that works much better than I expected (and is in some sense easier for determining where your fingers are on the strings than a pick), I'm trying to use a pick right now to improve that part of my playing.

I worked my way through most of the tutorials now and 95%'d one of the songs in there, and worked my way through the first two tutorials and started on the advanced tutorial now as well. They are generally pretty good, I have to say. The one that I stopped at and was giving me a hard time is the one with barred chords, as my fingers easily slip to the next frets and the buttons are really sensitive.

I don't quite like how aggressively the tutorials stop you when you make a mistake and wait until you get everything right again. I can see why it does that, but it just seems to do that a little too agressively.

As for the regular song playing, I initially thought I would just go for Extreme right away and that this would be easier to learn because it matches with what I hear, but now that it has become more about learning to read the notations first, I have settled to do some Medium work first, and that's coming along fine now.

A final little annoyance is that the chord numbering modifier is reset each time I boot up the game, so I have to keep switching it on. I really do prefer that mode for reading, and wish it would be standard.

Curufinwe

When I try to link my 360 copy of RB3 I get an error message saying: "Something’s wrong! Either that web code or that gamer tag is invalid. Why don’t you try it again?"

http://www.rockband.com/link

I know that the code and the gamer tag I am using are both accurate, so what's my next step? Is there some way to contact Harmonix directly with a picture of my TV showing the code and my Xbox 360 gamer tag?

Curufinwe said:
When I try to link my 360 copy of RB3 I get an error message saying: "Something’s wrong! Either that web code or that gamer tag is invalid. Why don’t you try it again?"

http://www.rockband.com/link

I know that the code and the gamer tag I am using are both accurate, so what's my next step? Is there some way to contact Harmonix directly with a picture of my TV showing the code and my Xbox 360 gamer tag?
You are using the code the game generates at the menu correct? If so, this issue happened for a bit at launch, but I thought it was fixed. This link is just for achievements and tracking your progress online.

Curufinwe

Yeah, I want that Achievement.

I took a picture of my screen showing the Linking code and my gamer tag and sent it to Harmonix support.

Hop

Curufinwe said:
Yeah, I want that Achievement.

I took a picture of my screen showing the Linking code and my gamer tag and sent it to Harmonix support.

If you had a linked RB2 account, that can cause some hiccups. I just unlinked everything then re-linked, and it managed to connect eventually.

Charron said:
If you had a linked RB2 account, that can cause some hiccups. I just unlinked everything then re-linked, and it managed to connect eventually.
That too. I totally forgot about that aspect of it. I had to do the same, Charron. Once I unlinked RB2, things were fine for linking RB3.

I still wish I could get a pic of my band on the website.

komarkaze

Not sure if mentioned already but the Squier demo stations are set up at Best Buy that have dedicated musical instrument section. I just tried it out and enjoyed it. However it had trouble detecting finger picking unless I plucked really hard. Will have to try again with a pick.

One major annoyance was it wasn't detecting full chords like C and Em. I figured out that the high E string wasn't detecting at all. Hope that will not become a persistent issue when the squiers are released.

I'm pretty sold on getting a Squier and will demo as much as I can. If I can get more money down the line I'll try for keys but I can see pro guitar lasting me for years.

BenjaminBirdie said:
:lol

I recommend everyone beat the game with the rest of your band made up of LOST characters like I did. The final animation is fucking PERFECT.

I would if the game let me make more than 10 characters. : (

BenjaminBirdie said:

I recommend everyone beat the game with the rest of your band made up of LOST characters like I did. The final animation is fucking PERFECT.
I loved seeing Olivia Dunham and three Observers with the final animation.:D

I made a custom character and have three stand-ins in my band. I'm missing a keyboard player. Does he/she have to be custom made or can I add another stand-in?

Hop

ChoklitReign said:
I made a custom character and have three stand-ins in my band. I'm missing a keyboard player. Does he/she have to be custom made or can I add another stand-in?

If you're playing anything but keys, your band won't have a keyboardist. If you're playing keys, your band loses a bassist. There's a sequencing to it but I can't find it off-hand.

BenjaminBirdie said:

Nice one! Were you called Walternate?
Never thought of that one. They are simply called "Olivia and the Observers." I tried making a Walter character, but was never happy with the results. I do have a Lord Humungous to spice things up though.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
komarkaze said:
Not sure if mentioned already but the Squier demo stations are set up at Best Buy that have dedicated musical instrument section. I just tried it out and enjoyed it. However it had trouble detecting finger picking unless I plucked really hard. Will have to try again with a pick.

One major annoyance was it wasn't detecting full chords like C and Em. I figured out that the high E string wasn't detecting at all. Hope that will not become a persistent issue when the squiers are released.

I'm pretty sold on getting a Squier and will demo as much as I can. If I can get more money down the line I'll try for keys but I can see pro guitar lasting me for years.

I went looking for this a week or so ago, but found none. How was the action? I'd also like to check the tone, but I'm guessing they won't let you plug it into a regular amp.

PhoncipleBone said:
Never thought of that one. They are simply called "Olivia and the Observers." I tried making a Walter character, but was never happy with the results. I do have a Lord Humungous to spice things up though.

Yeah, old is really hard. I figured Walternate is just a pretty badass name. But that one is pretty great too.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Yeah, old is really hard. I figured Walternate is just a pretty badass name. But that one is pretty great too.
I was going to make Walter, Astrid, Peter, and Broyles and have another band called "Fringe Division" but stopped when I couldnt get Walter right.

komarkaze

chuckddd said:
I went looking for this a week or so ago, but found none. How was the action? I'd also like to check the tone, but I'm guessing they won't let you plug it into a regular amp.
Nope guitar was not plugged into an amp. Also the strings were muted since apparently unmuted strings make it harder to detect in game. what I can tell from the guitar by feeling it is it feels like a Squier. Does not feel as solid or smooth like my US Telecaster, but at least has real strings to feel and has the proper weight.

The demo station also had a Roland e drum set plugged in which I want to try. Hi hat cymbal was placed above snare which will help for disco beats in pro drums.

Hari Seldon said:
So is this game worth getting if you just get the keys?

I don't think there are enough songs with enough keys to justify it. They are rapidly expending the amount of good songs with keys; look to Billy Joel and Queen, with more coming down the road.

Edit:

Is there a place where we can download all of the RockBand music onto a spreadsheet? I want to make a songbook for parties and keep track of DLC we're interested in purchasing.

FlightOfHeaven said:
I don't think there are enough songs with enough keys to justify it. They are rapidly expending the amount of good songs with keys; look to Billy Joel and Queen, with more coming down the road.

Edit:

Is there a place where we can download all of the RockBand music onto a spreadsheet? I want to make a songbook for parties and keep track of DLC we're interested in purchasing.
You could pull it off Wikipedia and format it in Excel or whatever spreadsheet application you have.

MrMephistoX

Hari Seldon said:
So is this game worth getting if you just get the keys?

Tutorial wise yes I just got it yesterday and was very impressed. I do have the other instruments from RB2 though but hardly play them aside from parties. Keys are a more satisfying solo experience for me than the guitar or drums ever were.

Top Bottom