• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 3 |OT|

What the hell is a session player? I can't customize my player because I'm one. My XBL connection has been extremely dodgy so I've been playing mostly offline. But I was fine when I started playing offline. What the hell?

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
ChoklitReign said:
What the hell is a session player? I can't customize my player because I'm one. My XBL connection has been extremely dodgy so I've been playing mostly offline. But I was fine when I started playing offline. What the hell?

Session characters are the ones you don't create.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
ChoklitReign said:
A session player is one of the default characters in the game. You need to create your own character to customize it (which is kind of unfortunate that you can't work off a base, but oh well).

chuckddd said:
First review I've seen on the Strat. And quite honestly, it's still not helping me on whether or not to buy this thing.

Yeah, I know. Thanks for posting btw. Fortunately it won't be available yet for a while eh? Anyway, I'm on my way into Pro Mode with the Mustang now, and am starting to have a good time. I've worked my way up from Medium to Expert on Don't Stand So Close To Me by the Police, and it's satisfying. There are moments of frustration and stuff to get used to, but I've been a plucker rather than a picker (have played more or less for 18 years now, but haven't progressed much what with not being in a band most of the time and only taking lessons for a relatively short while), and I'm using this game to learn to be a proper picker, and so far it seems to be a success.

I have to say it is quite satisfactory to work up to playing a full, challenging song on Expert properly. The steps up through the difficulty have made a lot of sense for learning the song so far, and the training mode has been essential for getting a tricky picking part right. But I got it down, so next up will be mastering the song 100%. As I'm at 65% now or so after one or two runs on Extreme, and that puts me in sixth, it's clear not that many people play this.

Anyway, kudos to the Mustang controller / Mad Catz. It so far works flawlessly. I'm surprised that something that from the looks of it is so 'plastic' can still work this well. It plays easier than a real guitar for most parts. I only have some problems adjusting to the lesser tension on the strings and major chords from the fifth string - it's easy to lean into the 3rd row from 2nd and touch it enough to press it, with no bar to prevent you from slipping into that position. But it forces you to be even more precise and rely on your own placement and control. Will see where that ends, but generally the chords including barre chords don't give much problems - I just have to focus to make sure I hit the first string in the window rather than aim the center of the chord into it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
how many USB ports do you need for pro guitar, pro drums, pro keyboard and a GH keyboard? 4, or can you stack 2+2? Think you can't go more than 2 stacked without needing a hub but not sure.

mrklaw said:
how many USB ports do you need for pro guitar, pro drums, pro keyboard and a GH keyboard? 4, or can you stack 2+2? Think you can't go more than 2 stacked without needing a hub but not sure.
If on 360, then keyboard, drums, and guitar are all wireless. The only thing needing USB will be the mics, unless you have wireless mics too. I still have the four port USB hub that came with RB1. If on ps3, I am not sure. I think the instruments still use dongles.

mrklaw said:

And on PS3, the Pro Guitar USB dongle is also a HUB for two USB connectors. So you would need just one USB port for it.

You can stack quite a bit, but it all depends on what you hook up. Rockband stuff you can loop into each other quite far, but for instance the PS Eye I wouldn't put into a HUB at all, if possible.

Hari Seldon

So I finally got this game. However when I play a song just from the setlist it doesn't seem to save my score or my song rating. It shows it after I play it but if I power off and power on it lists my stars as 0 and there is no more song rating or score next to the song. Someone explain to me how to save lol.

U2NUMB

I sure am having a hard time locating a 360 keyboard.. I want to buy it at Best Buy as I have gift cards to use up.. only one store out of 15 has one and it is over an hour away. BB online is also sold out.. Is this normal or just the post holiday rush?

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
U2NUMB said:
I sure am having a hard time locating a 360 keyboard.. I want to buy it at Best Buy as I have gift cards to use up.. only one store out of 15 has one and it is over an hour away. BB online is also sold out.. Is this normal or just the post holiday rush?

A bit of both? Instruments are historically understocked, and the holidays certainly aren't helping things.

U2NUMB

Charron said:
A bit of both? Instruments are historically understocked, and the holidays certainly aren't helping things.

Thanks for the intel.. I sure hope the keys are worth it .. I think I am going to take the trip down and pick it up.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
U2NUMB said:
Thanks for the intel.. I sure hope the keys are worth it .. I think I am going to take the trip down and pick it up.
Keys are hit or miss...mostly miss for me so far. I don't have the keyboard, but I've played enough of it on my friend's house and it just doesn't seem like it's worth whatever the hell it costs. I'll wait for a price drop or buy it used.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Finally got this game... ran into an issue already though. I created a character and played with it for a while. Exited the game to redownload my DLC from RB2... went back into the game and said character was gone. Was I supposed to do something specific to save it? I wasn't playing in band mode, if that helps.

Got the game for xmas, even though I said dont get me games with my new 2 month old baby lol. I've only played it for maybe half an hour total but I kinda miss the old way it was setup, world tour and challenges etc. I dont really know what to do in it!

Kagari said:
Finally got this game... ran into an issue already though. I created a character and played with it for a while. Exited the game to redownload my DLC from RB2... went back into the game and said character was gone. Was I supposed to do something specific to save it? I wasn't playing in band mode, if that helps.
Is auto save turned on?

komarkaze

If u swap instruments then u need to reselect your created character via start menu. Otherwise it defaults to random session musician.

Chris R

Uh, website down... Is there no way for me, a PS3 user, to get a RB2 import code? Having a lan/gaming/party thing tomorrow night... Need to get this shit sorted out ASPA :(

peetfeet

Pretty sure you can't use headset as a mic for singing, as for RB2 export, call EA customer services and speak nicely to them - they should sort you out.

beje

Banned
I did a good purchase with the Queen pack, they're godly to play on keyboard :D

btw, currently on the top 25 for Pro Keyboard in the Wii Leaderboard. I already can play almost all songs in Hard and around half of them in Expert.

Edit: are there any other packs worth buying for the pro-keyboard part?

Random / possibly obvious question... can you turn off the tilt sensor in the guitar? I guess it's how I hold it, but I have a bad habit of accidentally triggering overdrive when I really didn't want to.

AMUSIX

Psycho, can't turn it off, sorry...try holding the guitar in the position you usually play it when you turn on the system. It should read that position as '0', then.

beje said:
I did a good purchase with the Queen pack, they're godly to play on keyboard :D

btw, currently on the top 25 for Pro Keyboard in the Wii Leaderboard. I already can play almost all songs in Hard and around half of them in Expert.

Edit: are there any other packs worth buying for the pro-keyboard part?
Billy Joel is a must for pro keys, as is the Doors.

butter_stick said:
Whiter Shade of Pale is the best keys DLC song.
May not be the best, but probably the most overlooked one. And it is a fantastic song to boot.

Now just rerelease "Roll With the Changes" and I will be happy.

It doesn't have any chords, so it's already one of the best key songs by default. Then you have the song being amazing pushing it to God status.

beje

Banned
butter_stick said:
It doesn't have any chords, so it's already one of the best key songs by default. Then you have the song being amazing pushing it to God status.

But I love chords because, after 9 years playing the piano, my hands are almost always in the correct position in complete autopilot :D

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
So whats the deal with the RB2 export? The export guide on the site you have to click on to do anything is always down. :(

truly101 said:
So whats the deal with the RB2 export? The export guide on the site you have to click on to do anything is always down. :(

*boot RB3*

*go to redeem code*

*type in code from back of RB2 manual*

*success*

Ridley327

Because Harmonix hates Sony, you have to take that manual code and input it into their website in order to receive a redemption code to plug into RB3.

Compare this to the export on the Wii, which just scans for a RB2 save file.

jgkspsx

butter_stick said:
It has chords. Not that many, and all white notes, but still.

But, yeah. They really should have included it on disc, as it's a better keys song than anything in the actual release.

Top Bottom