• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 3 |OT|

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
btrboyev said:
Tomorow's DLC update

The Clash London Calling Full album.

In case you weren't aware, there's a dedicated DLC thread. Main DLC every Friday, RBN tracks Tuesday/when they happen. Keeps this thread to explicit game discussion.

But yea, fuck yea Clash!

Rewrite said:
FUUUUUUUUUUU @ that pic! :D

Best news ever man! Is the patch live for PS3 too? Cuz if so I can't wait to play Rock Band 3 now (I can't believe I said that!).

I heard PS3ers discussing it this morning, so it should be live.

Rewrite said:
FUUUUUUUUUUU @ that pic! :D

Best news ever man! Is the patch live for PS3 too? Cuz if so I can't wait to play Rock Band 3 now (I can't believe I said that!).

I got it updated to 1.03 when I started the game today, so I'm guessing yes.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Lots of good/great DLC (with full pro support) and this patch make me happy. I was worried in the wake of all the bad financial news that Harmonix would be unable to support this game fully. Great news so far :)

jgkspsx

Wow. I'm impressed.

Did they happen to add a shortcut function to the pro guitar when we weren't looking...? It's a bummer to scroll through 500 songs with that d-pad...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
jgkspsx said:
Wow. I'm impressed.

Did they happen to add a shortcut function to the pro guitar when we weren't looking...? It's a bummer to scroll through 500 songs with that d-pad...

Dear god, they still haven't fixed that yet? :p

Has anyone gotten the MIDI PRO Adapter to work with a USB-only MIDI keyboard? The RB support FAQ says it "should" work if you go through a computer with MIDI software, but I'm not sure what cable would be needed to then connect the computer output to the MadCatz adapter. If anyone has done this, I would kill for a picture and more info on the software and cables you used.

Holy crap, just read the patch notes... they're letting me activate vocal overdrive with a button?!? I've been complaining about this for YEARS. To this day, my friends giggle when I make some ridiculous noise in the mic to activate overdrive.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Let me just say that Rock Band 3 has now been completely playable at Expert guitar with Breakneck Speed. No more shitty transparent highway getting in my way of missing notes! Thanks, Harmonix!

jgkspsx said:
Wow. I'm impressed.

Well, filtering the library to only show pro compatible songs helps with that. But I agree. No idea why they couldn't have you use the frets like you'd expect them to work.

komarkaze

Is it me or did the Patch also fix the road challenges so after you finish a song, you see your leaderboard rank just like in quickplay? I noticed it the other day and it made me a happy camper.

jgkspsx

Vocal overdrive with a button press?? Can you do it at any time, or just when you'd normally make some stupid noise that's loud and out of tune so the game actually realizes you're trying to turn on overdrive?

butter_stick said:
Well, filtering the library to only show pro compatible songs helps with that. But I agree. No idea why they couldn't have you use the frets like you'd expect them to work.
True. I've still got a lot of pro songs, though, and I've even used the Mustang with regular guitar parts, God help me.

Hop

jgkspsx said:
Vocal overdrive with a button press?? Can you do it at any time, or just when you'd normally make some stupid noise that's loud and out of tune so the game actually realizes you're trying to turn on overdrive?

True. I've still got a lot of pro songs, though, and I've even used the Mustang with regular guitar parts, God help me.

You can only deploy vocal Overdrive in the same old Overdrive windows. Just, now you can do it with a button so it actually goes off.

mojiimbo

I wish the game would give you the option of autobooting past the intro FMV and "press start" screen so it could get started indexing your DLC as soon as possible. :-/

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I have a really dumb question.

I've been thinking about buying the 3-part symbal expantion for my RockBand 2 drum kit.

However, I was thinking: Hey, I might as well just buy the regular Rockband 3 drum set...

But, looking it up, they seems to be exactly the same (with the addition of the 3 cymbals)? Are they different or essentially the same? The cymbals are still just another way to press that color?

Hop

drizzle said:

I've been thinking about buying the 3-part symbal expantion for my RockBand 2 drum kit.

However, I was thinking: Hey, I might as well just buy the regular Rockband 3 drum set...

But, looking it up, they seems to be exactly the same (with the addition of the 3 cymbals)? Are they different or essentially the same? The cymbals are still just another way to press that color?

Yea, they're the same. I think the RB3 drum kit package is just the RB2 drums with the revamped cymbals. If you want anything higher-end than that you're looking at e-drum kits and the MIDI Pro adapter.

Ridley327

The drums are actually slightly different overall; they're based on the Beatles kit, which had improved rebound, plus they also have a built-in port for a second bass pedal, so you no longer need the magnet switch that comes with it.

Aaron

butter_stick said:
More Neversoft innovation stolen.
Actually, you could activate vocal overdrive with the A button in the original Rockband. They removed it for on the fly adjustment controls in RB, iirc. Which was a stupid change, but that game had plenty of those.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I've got a question for the pro-guitar-players (Mad Catz Mustang). I've gotten to a tutorial where I have to put my index-finger on the 1st fret, my middlefinger on the 2nd and my ringfinger on the 3rd. Whether I place them over the entire fret (covering all strings/buttons) or just far enough to cover the first two strings/buttons, it's cramped as hell.
After 10 minutes of strugling, I gave up. The weird thing is, I can't remember having this issue on my real guitar.

Does anyone have any idea on what I'm doing wrong?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
drizzle said:

the drums with cymbals is like a whole new instrument. Just feels so good.

Drakken

Is the "real" guitar out yet? You know, the one that's meant to be used in pro mode and that you can actually plug into an amp? My plan has been to buy RB3 once that guitar is out and actually learn guitar through playing with it, but I haven't paid attention to any RB stuff since the game's release.

Drakken said:
Is the "real" guitar out yet? You know, the one that's meant to be used in pro mode and that you can actually plug into an amp? My plan has been to buy RB3 once that guitar is out and actually learn guitar through playing with it, but I haven't paid attention to any RB stuff since the game's release.

Next month. I think the 1st. At Best Buy. IIRC.

It's $270+ a MIDI adapter. Or something like that.

You all may laugh at me, but one dream song that I always wanted in RB was Invincible by Pat Benatar. I remember when I was little, I heard it in The Legend of Billie Jean (LOL), and ever since then I've loved that freakin' song along with Pat Benatar's other stuff. I can't believe they put it in RB. SO GOOD.

Edit: Ok, all those times singing this song in the shower actually paid off! XD

28cddw6.jpg

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Fucking awesome. Congrats! It feels so great when you do good in a song and placed high on the leaderboards.

I just noticed last night that Rock Band 3 saves the title update with the actual game data, and not in the 360's cache. Maybe because it's 6MB and the patch limit is supposed to be 4MB, but I hope more 360 game follow suit.

Anyway, I piqued my skills with the Pro Keys, finished every song on medium, but couldn't get the hang of hard/expert beyond the first tier. So now, I'm playing regular Keys to try and build up my dexterity in my smaller fingers. I think it's helping, originally I thought there'd be no reason for me to play normal Keys when I was having so much fun with Pro Keys, but I may have been wrong.

Even playing regular Keys, those Nightmare tier songs are pretty impossible. I am going to need a lot of practice.

Dead Man Typing said:
I just noticed last night that Rock Band 3 saves the title update with the actual game data, and not in the 360's cache. Maybe because it's 6MB and the patch limit is supposed to be 4MB, but I hope more 360 game follow suit.
Yeah that is something MS has changed during the last 4 months or so. Assassins Creed: Brotherhood and some other games does it as well. I'm expecting all future games to do it.

Curufinwe

Ridley327 said:
Yeah, you press Back/Select to activate it.

It's a shame that was never put in The Beatles Rock Band. My wife had to resort to hitting the mic with a coaster to make sure overdrive activated.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I just picked up a Mac and I wanted to play with GarageBand using the keyboard and Mustang guitar. I have a Midi-USB cable from Guitar Hero 5, but when I plug it into the Mac, nothing seems to happen.

Anyone have any ideas? Do I need to find drivers for it or something?

Hop

firehawk12 said:
I just picked up a Mac and I wanted to play with GarageBand using the keyboard and Mustang guitar. I have a Midi-USB cable from Guitar Hero 5, but when I plug it into the Mac, nothing seems to happen.

Anyone have any ideas? Do I need to find drivers for it or something?

Most likely. Check under Applications -> Utilities -> Audio MIDI and make sure your Mac's even seeing the hardware in the first place. Not sure where the drivers would be, though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Charron said:
Most likely. Check under Applications -> Utilities -> Audio MIDI and make sure your Mac's even seeing the hardware in the first place. Not sure where the drivers would be, though.
Yeah, it doesn't pick anything up there. Sadly, Windows 7 seems to detect it fine, so I guess I'm SOL at this point.

Somewhat related, but do you know if the Guitar Lessons that come with GarageBand are compatible with the Mustang?

Hop

firehawk12 said:
Yeah, it doesn't pick anything up there. Sadly, Windows 7 seems to detect it fine, so I guess I'm SOL at this point.

Somewhat related, but do you know if the Guitar Lessons that come with GarageBand are compatible with the Mustang?

Surely there's some way to make it work, albeit unofficially. No idea about the Guitar Lessons, though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Charron said:
Surely there's some way to make it work, albeit unofficially. No idea about the Guitar Lessons, though.
Looks like Red Octane never wrote OSX drivers for it... so, I guess that answers that question. :(
Now I'm sort of paranoid, at least in terms of spending money - do most cables typically need OSX drivers for them to work?

mac-boy

firehawk12 said:

For the guitar lessons are you talking about the basic ones or the artist lessons?

jgkspsx

firehawk12 said:
I tried the same thing. They wrote Mac drivers, but they don't work as a general midi input. It's really for calibrating your drumkit using their custom software. AFAIK.

Buy this cable: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0017H4EBG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Works fine. I've recorded in GB using the Mustang and the keyboard. The Garage Band guitar lessons don't use midi, though.

EDIT: Say, in Windows 7, do you experience really bad latency for sound outputs? Whether I use a microphone or midi, sounds come .8+ seconds after I make them, rendering recording on the PC virtually impossible.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
jgkspsx said:
That doesn't do what you think it does. I tried the same thing.

Buy this cable: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0017H4EBG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Works fine. I've recorded in GB using the Mustang and the keyboard. The Garage Band guitar lessons don't use midi, though.
Ah, okay then. I thought I could get away without buying a new cable.

How do the lessons work then? When I opened the Piano one, it asks for a Midi device to be connected, so I just assumed that the Guitar one worked the same way? I was actually hoping that the trainers might be a little more useful than the RB3 ones.

jgkspsx

firehawk12 said:
How do the lessons work then? When I opened the Piano one, it asks for a Midi device to be connected, so I just assumed that the Guitar one worked the same way? I was actually hoping that the trainers might be a little more useful than the RB3 ones.
They show you what to do. You do it. :)

The piano lessons are much more interactive.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
jgkspsx said:
They show you what to do. You do it. :)

The piano lessons are much more interactive.
Ahhh, I thought it would detect if you were pressing the wrong frets/keys and then pause the lesson, RB3 style. :lol

Chris R

Seriously thinking about pickup up the Realtar, but I'd prefer to pick it up locally instead of having to deal with shipping it (and not being home when it comes by, and having to take time off work to make sure I'm there to receive it, ect)

Is it ever going to be in store for pickup? It shows as "Coming soon" but it might just say that for laughs. Is shipping to the store an option? Its been awhile since I ordered from BB online.

Hop

rhfb said:
Seriously thinking about pickup up the Realtar, but I'd prefer to pick it up locally instead of having to deal with shipping it (and not being home when it comes by, and having to take time off work to make sure I'm there to receive it, ect)

Is it ever going to be in store for pickup? It shows as "Coming soon" but it might just say that for laughs. Is shipping to the store an option? Its been awhile since I ordered from BB online.

They're supposed to be 'launching' it in stores on March 1st, along with the 360 MIDI adapter. In both cases, you can get it early if you're lucky, but that's when they're planning to really have stock on hand.

StinkFist

Banned
I've been holding out for the real guitar to buy this thing. Has it been released yet?

I wanna learn guitar so I can be the douchebag playing Pearl Jam songs looking all sensitive, and Cobain trashy. Easy women magnet.

It appears that the You Rock Guitar guys have finally nailed their RB3 Pro Guitar mode firmware according to Rockbandaide.

This gives you a good alternative to the Mustang. You need the Madcatz Midi adapter.

Chris R

Charron said:
They're supposed to be 'launching' it in stores on March 1st, along with the 360 MIDI adapter. In both cases, you can get it early if you're lucky, but that's when they're planning to really have stock on hand.
I just ordered it and had them ship it to my office. I know ill be here all day so I can't miss the delivery.

Now to get a ps3 midi adapter. Anyone else getting a realtar?

Charron said:
Is it only going to be at best buy? I haven't seen it available for pre-order anywhere else.

Top Bottom