• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rising_Hei

I only see to encounter profesionals and semi profesionals players when being a rookie, the matchmaking is horrendous and i can't have any fun or learn when im put against players that do shit i can't even dream of

Dr Prob

Banned
Two days of me feeling like shit in the morning because I kept playing the game instead of going to bed. It can't go on like this.

"I'll just hop on for a few late night matches...
Hmm, what's that strange light? Oh, the sun. Whoops."

Can't stop though. Have to hit that ball!

rl3rozs.gif

I only see to encounter profesionals and semi profesionals players when being a rookie, the matchmaking is horrendous and i can't have any fun or learn when im put against players that do shit i can't even dream of
So play a few games against the AI. There's no shame in it, the AI at the harder difficulties are no slouch. Don't play on rookie, though. That's ridiculously easy.

Undead

This game is so good I'm even playing online, I normally hate playing online.

Now if only I could get team mates that don't confuse ME for the ball.

Just had a game where our team scored 2 goals in the last 9 seconds of regulation time to tie the match, and then we won in overtime! Never stop trying until the last second.

Game is seriously awesome.

WITHE1982

Man for some reason I completely sucked last night. Couldn't buy a goal. Ended up playing keeper just to stay out of everyone's way in case I fucked up their chances of scoring.

Had a few better matches this morning though. Culminating in scoring the winner in a tense 0-0 between 6 pros. Clock was on 00:00 when the ball crossed the line. So, so satisfying.

aravuus

Made another ShareFactory Highlight compilation from games I played tonight. :)

Nothing too crazy.. but I did laugh pretty hard with this goal. My friend was pissed that I took it from him.
mlJe5M.gif

We always try to steal each other's goals with my friends, it's pretty hilarious at times.

Fuck random people who steal your goals, though. Especially fuck those who try to steal your points, but manage to nudge the ball enough to miss the goal altogether. Thank god I've already got a couple of friends excited about RL, probably won't have to play with randoms anymore.

Mendrox

I will never understand that. PS Plus must have far surpassed 10 million subscribers by now, but even if just: what the frog is wrong with those 8 million?

They paid for this game, they can have it with a click and without any additional cost. Is the vast majority really just "Call of Doody said I need it so I have it!"?

Most of the people that I know don't even know about Playstation Plus games and they are surprised when I tell them, lol.

Game is sooo good.

Is the skill rating busted? Mine isn't updating.

It does that sometimes. It could take a few hours to refresh.

I'm officially retiring from ranked play. I got up to #48 on 3v3, but it's far too addicting and I shouldn't be going to work on 2 hours sleep. Playing ranked takes this game to a scary level of excitement, anger, stress, joy, etc.

So what's the consensus - is this game gonna make it as a genuine e-sport or will the hundreds of thousands of new players simply drop away? I'm almost beginning to believe the former...

I feel like my gaming dreams are about to come true, but I'm trying to stay realistic here.

Elixist

Press square to powerslide? You have blown my mind. I must try this.

a tap jump 180 can be quite useful as well . got about 19 hours played now. game is godlike so addicting. getting alot better at the board play and defense. im anticipating where the ball is going to be alot more as well.

didn't play at all yesterday really and won't get to play until late tonight if I do at all...hopefully if I do I can get some GAF games in again

Finally I have some time to play this, are there any recommended camera settings? I see a screen in the (lovely) OP but that could just be an example. :p

SomTervo

This game is so good I'm even playing online, I normally hate playing online.

Now if only I could get team mates that don't confuse ME for the ball.

This really pisses me off. Like, really. It can totally ruin a play that you and another teammate are going for. I'm going to have to type in a message at some point saying 'Please do not whack into team mates,' so that the PS4's predictive text remembers it and I can repeatedly post it.

This is why the tutorials are worthwhile. I made the mistake of jumping in without doing them too.

It's really, really obvious when you're playing with someone who hasn't done the tutorials.

Tbh, the tutorials take 5 minutes - why doesn't the game just boot up for the first time straight into them? Or make them obligatory before the online mode unlocks.

I had my best save last night, the ball was tipped twice towards the goal and I had to side dodge to punch it out of the air....seeing that EPIC SAVE! text is a beautiful thing.

Man I love this game.

Totally.

I had an amazing one where I epic saved a goal with a bicycle kick, striking it backwards away from the goal just as it crossed the line, then dribbled the ball around the edge of the map, and scored a goal. Epic save > to > goal - in the span of 10 seconds.

Felt so, so badass.

I find myself constantly in defence as my team mates both chase after the ball without a care in the world. If I try to switch to attack, nine times out of ten nobody else defends and we end up getting scored against.

It's going to be a better experience in a week or two when a lot of the idiots get bored and go onto the next game.

Added incentives like more points for a defender would help.

Karu

The powerslide is one of my most used moves. Especially in defense it's essential since the positioning of your car and the movement of your enemies with the ball can be quite tricky at times.

Edit:
I find myself constantly in defence as my team mates both chase after the ball without a care in the world. If I try to switch to attack, nine times out of ten nobody else defends and we end up getting scored against.

It's going to be a better experience in a week or two when a lot of the idiots get bored and go onto the next game.

Had a few great matches on US-Drift yesterday (randoms) where we would change positions on the fly without communications, that was a nice surprise. The one who starts on the last line should always stay back for a second or two. Especially if two cars start diagonally near to the ball, there is no logical reason that the last car near the goal boosts forward, too. Accidentally we won 4 or so matches in a row. Always 1:0, 2:1 or such.

thejpfin

are there any recommended camera settings?
Camera Shake: Off
Camera FOV: 110
Camera Height: 100.00
Camera Angle: -3.00
Camera Distance: 230.00
Camera Stiffness: 0.70
Camera Swivel Speed: 3.20

I think servers are going down again. Had some horrible rubber band lag :/

yeah...the few times I've played with randoms it's been like that

once I played games with people on here with party chat going it's a lot better...you can either say you're going to hang back or they will tell you to go forward and they'll do it

iosefe

These should really be on the OP

So play a few games against the AI. There's no shame in it, the AI at the harder difficulties are no slouch. Don't play on rookie, though. That's ridiculously easy.

You can literally win 30-0 every game because you can always get to the ball, first, unopposed. As long as your aim is good, you will score.

Poetic

Last night was hit or miss, playing with randoms was rough. I couldn't get anything going. Friend came on and we did a little better. Definitely feel like you have to play with others you know to have a little coordination. Hopefully I can get in with some RocketGAFers tonight.

BShadowJ

So what's the consensus - is this game gonna make it as a genuine e-sport or will the hundreds of thousands of new players simply drop away? I'm almost beginning to believe the former...

I feel like my gaming dreams are about to come true, but I'm trying to stay realistic here.

Well, some people are gonna leave for sure... But I think there will be still the vets plus plenty of new people that stick around to make this game a legitimate e-sport. x)

Also, has the ratings updated for anyone? I've won some matches yesterday and today and it's still stuck.. I wanna see my rating improve ;(

SomTervo

What benefits do these settings really bring? I still play well with the default settings.

Recall

You are confusing skill level with time played. If you are a rookie then play exhibition matches until you get semi pro rank. Does that mean you are good? No. It means you played the game for a couple of hours, that's it. Rank means nothing unless you are obviously playing Ranked Competitive Multiplayer

SomTervo

What the other guy said.

My first night of playing I was wiping the floor with semi-pros and I was a rookie. It doesn't really work like that. I just naturally engaged with the game and it clicked with me.

Dr Prob

Banned
I don't know the first thing about how matchmaking actually works so this could very well just be a garbage post, but in ranked 3v3s I would happily wait another 30 seconds (or longer) for the slots to fill as opposed to starting a match with one team already down a player. Like, does this thing have a stagecoach to catch or something? Slow the fuck up :D

How the fuck do you do that spin and does it actually boost you like that?

As SocksAndShoes and shmoglish pointed out, the middle of that gif is sped up just to keep it moving.

DeaviL

Banned
I started the game up and became semi-pro in no time, and i still suck...
Those ranks mean so little.

I want my Rocket League teammates to lower my coffin into the ground so they can let me down one more time.
Play some matches 2v2 with all-star bots so you can have a taste of what teamwork is like, before plunging back to reality online.

LakeEarth

We always try to steal each other's goals with my friends, it's pretty hilarious at times.

Fuck random people who steal your goals, though. Especially fuck those who try to steal your points, but manage to nudge the ball enough to miss the goal altogether. Thank god I've already got a couple of friends excited about RL, probably won't have to play with randoms anymore.

I get conflicted, there has been too many times where I could of stolen the goal but didn't, just to see my random partner fuck it up and miss/lose it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom