• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

dralla

Camera Shake: Off
Camera FOV: 110
Camera Height: 100.00
Camera Angle: -3.00
Camera Distance: 230.00
Camera Stiffness: 0.70
Camera Swivel Speed: 3.20

I think servers are going down again. Had some horrible rubber band lag :/

The game feels strange without the camera shake.

#teamcamerashake

Haha it's fun trying though
The hard to control part is a big part of what makes this game fun to me. It's awesome in private matches where I see my friends battling for the ball and them all missing it or hitting it the wrong way so that it goes their side of the field. Such stupid fun!

BokehKing

Banned
The hard to control part is a big part of what makes this game fun to me. It's awesome in private matches where I see my friends battling for the ball and them all missing it or hitting it the wrong way so that it goes their side of the field. Such stupid fun!
I found the best strategy for me, is hitting it full force into a wall on a angle and hoping it takes flight into (thier) goal

John Dunbar

correct about everything
i think i'm level 15 or so and i have finished several seasons on pro, but i still have not scored a single aerial goal. i am awful at this game. i did get the backwards goal achievement through sheer luck.

i think i'm level 15 or so and i have finished several seasons on pro, but i still have not scored a single aerial goal. i am awful at this game. i did get the backwards goal achievement through sheer luck.

What qualifies as an aerial goal? Jumping and bumping? I pretty much never score unless I jump first.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
What qualifies as an aerial goal? Jumping and bumping? I pretty much never score unless I jump first.

when you check your stats in the main menu aerial goals are separate. i don't think jumping is enough, you have to be legit flying. it's when you get that +5 points from an aerial hit.

I did five rounds of all star difficulty aerial training last night.

I went 1 for 50 :D

I got pretty close to hitting a lot of them though. It's a tricky maneuver. Going to keep at it.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
when you check your stats in the main menu aerial goals are separate. i don't think jumping is enough, you have to be legit flying. it's when you get that +5 points from an aerial hit.

no hard factgs, but from my observations the ball definately needs to be higher than what can be reached trough double jump. you can take the goal bar as a rough estimate of the needed hight. if its higher then the bar it should be an aerial.

Two things helped make it click for me:

1 - Rather than playing "in goal", I play sweeper - hang by the goal with some boost in the tank and as soon as the ball gets more than 10 or so meters from another car, just fucking gas it towards it and blimp it back up the other end. Well over half the time it negates the need to even make saves. It does suck away your points as you don't get Saves and often don't even get Clearances but I've gotten a surprising number of goals playing this way.

2 - Reverse is almost as fast as going forwards (though you can't boost) and I've learned to use it a lot. Often I'll track all the way back in reverse rather than wasting time actually turning around.

This game is so ludicrously fun. All the thrills of FIFA but way more challenging. It has the perfect balance of where you can pick it up and play after a few minutes, but the subtle mastery of some of the more advanced techniques and moves are going to take dozens and dozens of hours to perfect. Just from playing last night, by the end I had a much better read on the ball physics, how much to lead the ball, etc. Is there anything more satisfying that landing a bicycle flip!! Feels so good.

My two cents for those just starting.
1. Just use the ball cam straight away. It is really easy to get used to, and once you can do anything you need to, you will never go back to car cam. I find zero benefit to the car cam. With the ball cam pulled back and a widened FOV, you get a much broader tactical view of things unfolding and can plan accordingly. Also, you get used to where the boost pods are and can easily drive over those using markings on the pitch all while watching the action unfold to your side and then you can dive in at the right moment.

2. You don't always need to be holding down gas. I find this to be the most common mistake with randos I play with. They are always just constantly holding down gas, moving in circles. Sometimes just holding still for a second allows you to make the easiest tap ins or interceptions. Brake button and power slide are your friend. There are also situations, typically in defense where going into reverse is better than looping around with a u turn.

3. Consider remapping a button or two after you play a few matches. I went with mapping powerslide and aerial to R1 (default is square) I found this much easier to use.

4.Don't forget about aerials. I found myself only focusing on jumps, and double tap jumps to go for bouncing balls. You should get used to setting a height marker in your head of when you know you can hit a ball with double jump or it is too high and you need to aerial to hit it. Hitting aerials consistently, that is a different story. Maybe someone else has some pro tips. I am happy to land one a match at this point hahah.

Side note, I am still not convinced on the hitbox differences. Sometimes I feel like it is a placebo effect.

Edit: Giantbomb Quicklook Up

Xater

I sometimes wish there was a radar, just so I always know where my team mates are. Would be really useful in public games. The I would always know if we actually have someone playing defensively.

how does cross platform MP work? Friend of mine who is not yet ready to get a PS4 would love to play online with me (PS4 player), but we cannot seem to find the correct way to do so.

how does cross platform MP work? Friend of mine who is not yet ready to get a PS4 would love to play online with me (PS4 player), but we cannot seem to find the correct way to do so.

Seems like they're working on a patch at the mo. In the meantime, you can try and fluke it by both searching for the same types of game at the same time. This thread has people saying that works pretty well, but I'd imagine it relies on them being in the same geographical location as you, or else it will try and pair you up with people that are.

My biggest tip to new players is : Learn the to utilize the boost that a landed flip gives you. This works forwards and backwards and you can cover the entire stadium in 3-4 flips. Flip boosting along with mastery of the aerial game are the 2 big things I've seen that separate the good from the elite.

bjaelke

So does everyone else spam Nice Shot! after an own goal, or am I just an asshole?

image.php

I prefer "whoops...."

My biggest tip to new players is : Learn the to utilize the boost that a landed flip gives you. This works forwards and backwards and you can cover the entire stadium in 3-4 flips. Flip boosting along with mastery of the aerial game are the 2 big things I've seen that separate the good from the elite.

So is that just double tapping X and holding forward and just landing single flips? I didn't know it gave you a boost.

bjaelke

Can't find any matches here in the US either.
Rocket League ‏@RocketLeague 3m3 minutes ago
We are aware of the EU matchmaking issues, working on it right now. US/OCE unaffected.

Rocket League ‏@RocketLeague 9s10 seconds ago
Correction on that last tweet - USWest and Oceania are unaffected. USEast and EU matchmaking issues being investigated.

Rocket League ‏@RocketLeague 3m3 minutes ago
We are aware of the EU matchmaking issues, working on it right now. US/OCE unaffected.

Rocket League ‏@RocketLeague 9s10 seconds ago
Correction on that last tweet - USWest and Oceania are unaffected. USEast and EU matchmaking issues being investigated.

Thanks, maybe I can get into some west servers.

So is that just double tapping X and holding forward and just landing single flips? I didn't know it gave you a boost.

I just tap X once and land a tiny front/back flip. It's a lifesaver on defense, you can flip back a few times and get in position to stop a charge pretty quickly.

EDIT: After thinking about it, yeah I guess it is a double-tap of X. It's just not a full jump flip like an aerial.

Double tap x and hold one of the four primary directions. Just as good as a boost, and it's the only way to gain speed driving backwards. Really you should do this all the time and save your boost for emergencies and flying.

I just tap X once and land a tiny front/back flip. It's a lifesaver on defense, you can flip back a few times and get in position to stop a charge pretty quickly.

EDIT: After thinking about it, yeah I guess it is a double-tap of X. It's just not a full jump flip like an aerial.

Double tap x and hold one of the four primary directions. Just as good as a boost, and it's the only way to gain speed driving backwards. Really you should do this all the time and save your boost for emergencies and flying.

Awesome! I must have missed this detail during training. I love driving backwards.

blahness

Exactly! I would also add using the handbrake to turn around.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Left/right Rolling.

I still think it's better to leave square as is and put boost on R1

But then you have to press both R1 and R2 at once, ugh. The DS4 doesn't feel like it's made for that, you're clearly meant to keep your index fingers on L/R2 and move them up to L/R1 when needed.

I've left the controls at the defaults so far, seems to be working well for me.

iosefe

But then you have to press both R1 and R2 at once, ugh. The DS4 doesn't feel like it's made for that, you're clearly meant to keep your index fingers on L/R2 and move them up to L/R1 when needed.

I've left the controls at the defaults so far, seems to be working well for me.
I dunno, it feels right to me. Never hurts to try

iosefe

Sorry, should have specified. I'm on PS4. Hopefully we can all play together soon. We had a 2 vs 2 tourney last night. It was a ton of fun except for coming in last place.
By the end of the month, we should be fine on that front.

Can we get some Dev input on patch progress?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom