• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGVc-Cq7JU4&feature=youtu.be

Looks like I may have to turn off cross-play. Damn cheater

Yes, someone forwarded this to us. Let's talk about cheating.

One of the reasons we decided to use dedicated servers was to take control over the authoritative physics for each game so it could not be manipulated by clients. This is a sound strategy that will prevent manipulation of the ball and car physics, even on PC. However, we expected this might require a few refinements to remove any lingering bugs which is probably what is happening here. We have serious doubts that there are very many ways to do this and we can fix them.

Does that mean it is absolutely not possible to cheat once the holes are found? No, but the cheating is limited to client-side information, meaning the same information you already know about the game just by looking around the field. Can this give you an advantage? Maybe a bit but we seriously doubt it will help you beat any significantly better player. It is worth noting that cheating of this sort is not a PC-only issue either. In games like shooters this is a much bigger problem because aim-bots can simply aim and fire for you. In Rocket League you need to understand a lot more about the laws of the physical universe to know what to do. You will be facing the same sort of physics problems that robot engineers in the DARPA challenge face.

On top of this we can add player reporting and statistical analysis to detect "Player A just did something impossible". We do this regularly on other games. We're really just getting started here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/RocketLeag...heating_by_pc_player_in_rocket_league/ct8x748

Post your cars!

CKTSxOSWsAEouvP.jpg:large

newsguy

While I don't like focussing on blowing up other players, I totally agree that you can't judge people solely based on points. Quite often the most important player is the one who is keeping control in the midfield, they don't get clear/save points like a goalie and don't necessarily score much. I've had a good few games where theres been a player that I thought was fantastic and then they've been bottom of the scoreboard.
Conversely people who just smash into the ball at any time and in any direction quite often build up a lot of points from clears and centres despite completely throwing off their team.

I agree with this. I'm by no means great at this game, but when playing in public matches I feel like I'll have a much more solid game than my teammate who basically set up the other team's shots the whole game, but that teammate will have 400 points and I may have 80.

I think when he said "of this sort" he was referring to the few sentences prior to that. I don't think he meant that this instance of cheating displayed in the above video was not only on PC. I think he was speaking in broader terms. Cheating happens, not just on PC.

Has there been any instances of cheating like this going on for RL on the PS4?

Either way. That sucks.

Hasney

I think when he said "of this sort" he was referring to the few sentences prior to that. I don't think he meant that this instance of cheating displayed in the above video was not only on PC. I think he was speaking in broader terms. Cheating happens, not just on PC.

Has there been any instances of cheating like this going on for RL on the PS4?

Either way. That sucks.

With this type of hack where you're basically telling the server impossible shit is happening, really all you need is access to the server. With this level of control, you could quite easily run the PS4 through the PCs connection and do exactly the same thing.

EDIT: also just read that the cross play box is bugged anyway, at least according to YT comments on that video.

Ughhh my ps4 (that I've only had for four months) apparently has a faulty HDMI port and has to be sent in for service, so now I have to wait like three weeks to play Rocket League again.

Hasney

We will see in a few days when this thing spreads like wildfire until it's stamped out. I would bet PC being the only platform with cheaters.

Nah, not when it's packet manipulation. Like I said, if this spreads, it should be easily done on PS4 as well since it doesn't need to run on the PS4 itself.

hawk2025

I'm seeing upwards of 40 thousand players in the servers sometimes.

That's... Isn't that like, Battlefield 4 levels of players online?

This is an amazing success, right?

plc268

You have no idea what happened that caused this, you just assume they are dumb.

If you think you've never "ruined" a team-mates goal you aren't paying attention or are playing 1v1.

It happens from time to time. If anything, I'm super conservative in the shots I take nowadays. If I see a teammate rushing for the ball to make a play, I back off and try to take a better position in the case the opposing team boots it to our side of the field.

I know you're trying to poke holes into what I said, but the fact is, I don't care if my teammates are not great. Hell, I'm no where near good as well, I whiff on a lot of stuff, and I'm absolutely god awful at defending the goal (even though I'm forced to most of the time), but I try to play as a team, and not an individual.

I've recently started playing consistently with a group, and it's just a bunch more fun to play that way.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I'm seeing upwards of 40 thousand players in the servers sometimes.

That's... Isn't that like, Battlefield 4 levels of players online?
More than one platform of BF4 but less than two.

I've also seen 60k and reportedly 150k was their peak.

hawk2025

More than one platform of BF4 but less than two.

I've also seen 60k and reportedly 150k was their peak.

Yeah, I'm totally not saying it's beating a major FPS or anything like that, it's just that when I looked at the number (I think a couple of nights ago), I was quite impressed. Even with PS+, keeping the engagement of those people that got it for free is still quite impressive IMO.

Really happy with how all of this is shaking out :)

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Is there anything out there that says what the requirements are to unlock stuff? I only have a few things left to unlock and it's pretty clear at this point that I'm not gonna unlock them just by playing normally.

With this type of hack where you're basically telling the server impossible shit is happening, really all you need is access to the server. With this level of control, you could quite easily run the PS4 through the PCs connection and do exactly the same thing.

EDIT: also just read that the cross play box is bugged anyway, at least according to YT comments on that video.
Oh ok. Fricken cheaters meng. Hopefully the game doesn't get overrun by them.

kgtrep

The 2v2 game where we were down 0-4 but came back and won 5-4 was great.

I sure had a great time with you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGVc-Cq7JU4&feature=youtu.be

Looks like I may have to turn off cross-play. Damn cheater

I'd hate to be in that spot. I'm glad that, other than one person who swore but stopped doing so later, I haven't seen anyone cause trouble to the rest of the community.

no problem
no problem
no problem

Haha, I think this is the most useless/oddest response. I'm really not sure when I'm supposed to use it without coming off smug. I wish there were a "We can do this!" response instead.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Haha, I think this is the most useless/oddest response. I'm really not sure when I'm supposed to use it without coming off smug. I wish there were a "We can do this!" response instead.
I use it when someone says "Sorry!" after doing an own goal or generally doing something detrimental.

"Defending..." should be changed to "I'm going to defend." as the defense variant of that "I got it" thing.

When someone on your team screws up and says Sorry! or if the other team gets a quick goal, as a morale booster.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

Nah, the No Problem response is used for when someone fucks up and says sorry. It's more useful than most responses imo.

I wish you could customize your own quick responses. It was funny, I played with a random yesterday and they were pretty good, every goal we scored they typed "YAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY". I don't know why but it made me laugh pretty hard.

I wish you could customize your own quick responses. It was funny, I played with a random yesterday and they were pretty good, every goal we scored they typed "YAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY". I don't know why but it made me laugh pretty hard.

I love the chat. I love random stuff like that. Wish we could pre-select some words too, because one time, some guy was typing at the start of kickoff, and we ended up getting score on because he was defender :(

lol

It would be abused so hard.

"You got fuct up bro!!"
"You got fuct up bro!!"

So I got permission to give away a code for Rocket League that I had lying around. Im probably gonna do a stream on Twitch and force people to subscribe to me. I just have to get a little better and make sure I put on a worthy show.

TMC

Camera Shake: Off
Camera FOV: 110
Camera Height: 100.00
Camera Angle: -3.00
Camera Distance: 230.00
Camera Stiffness: 0.70
Camera Swivel Speed: 3.20

Thanks for this! I was messing with the FoV quite a bit yesterday and it made a huge difference. I will update mine to match this.

I guess on PS4 you can have some typed up stuff ready and just use the auto chat. Good for after a goal but not really feasable during playtime.

LaneDS

Played against a player in PC 3v3 where his nameplate stayed at his initial spawnpoint and we'd see the ball get hit by nothing at all, eventually figuring out that this player (on Steam as Ronaldinho Gaucho) was actually playing despite being completely invisible with a stationary nameplate. Even dropped out and got him in the next 3s match-up, same problem then too (we quit out quickly).

Could have been a bug (he said sorry when we noted in chat) but could also be cheating.

Anyone see this before?

I'm that asshole which hoards all the boost, explodes you then spams sorry if it's a lost game or a comfortable win.

I targeted a trash talker for 2 games today. Was high comedy.

Zomba13

I use it when someone says "Sorry!" after doing an own goal or generally doing something detrimental.

"Defending..." should be changed to "I'm going to defend." as the defense variant of that "I got it" thing.

Yeah. "Defending..." sounds like you're getting annoyed at your team for not defending.

I do like the chat options though, Me and a guy last night who won a bunch of games in a row got into the rhythm of complementing each other after every goal and set up/pass and whenever someone scored on us it'd be all "No Problem".

Also plenty of "OMG!" and "Wow!" when we pulled of amazing shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom