• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melvinator

Neo Member
There seems to be this unrealistic expectation of people playing this game, like everyone is supposed to be god tier or something...
One little fuck up or god forbid an accidental own goal and people lose thier minds...
I love playing this game and will continue playing but if I had feelings they might actually get hurt by some of the shit people say to me when I screw up.
Apologies in advance if I ever end up on your team and make a mistake... :)

There seems to be this unrealistic expectation of people playing this game, like everyone is supposed to be god tier or something...
One little fuck up or god forbid an accidental own goal and people lose thier minds...
I love playing this game and will continue playing but if I had feelings they might actually get hurt by some of the shit people say to me when I screw up.

apology not accepted

J. Bravo

Hardest thing to get used to is the fact that you have to press LT or RT all the time.

On keyboard WASD was all you needed to do. W being gas, and S being reverse is going to take some time, but I already have an aerial goal so wooooo.

The cool thing is that now I can steer while slowing down a lot better with the controller, but it feels weird as hell.

And these paddles are so fucking helpful. Having B for boost and A for jump was never going to work out.
I'm headed home if u got time to get carried. I finally hit gold 1 lol. Also do u have a Mic yet

Dr Prob

Banned

No problem.
No problem.

if I had feelings they might actually get hurt by some of the shit people say to me when I screw up.

Yeah, you just have to try and not let it get to you. Had an awesome game a little while ago - all the wacky air stuff I usually botch actually worked - not a peep. We rematch. In overtime I can't get to the ball in time for a save and (despite my teammates not even being anywhere near the goal to help) one guy goes in:

Me: gg
Dude: stfu ur garbage

Merry fucking christmas!

Grakl

PS4 controller right trigger broke, so I ran to grab another controller and I was kicked for idling, now I get banned for 15 mins from matchmaking wtf?

So pissed lmao

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Is the hockey mode expected to stay for a while? When I finally get my internet back I don't want to miss out. The little I played of it round my mates house was amazing. Not just weird but crazy fun like the mutator mashup playlist. This mode legit seems good as a competitive mode even if it's different.

hao chi

Is the hockey mode expected to stay for a while? When I finally get my internet back I don't want to miss out. The little I played of it round my mates house was amazing. Not just weird but crazy fun like the mutator mashup playlist. This mode legit seems good as a competitive mode even if it's different.

From what I remember they said the demand will determine whether it's a permanent playlist or temporary/seasonal.

I would guess you have at least a few more weeks to play it even if it's temporary.

chur

Anyone having issues finding a game? I was playing for about an hour without issues and now I can't get a game.

Edit: restarted the game and found a match.

moojito

I've been playing a bit of the solo standard ranked stuff recently. Seems to be a nice balance between people taking the game more seriously without getting steamrolled by premades. A lot more close games and people sticking around to the end, so more comebacks as well.

Dr Prob

Banned
Going to miss my rad and tastefully adorned holiday ride:

Me93Nhx.jpg

v73yg7o.gif

But rules are rules. January 2nd you take the decorations off your Rocket League car, albeit with just that little hint of sadness. Where does the time go? Next year I'm going to do it early so I can really enjoy it.

Fireblend

Banned
So guys, I'm suuuuper close to buying this game. I have some questions:

- How is the community? I don't have a group of people to play this with, so I'd have to rely on random online players. I imagine I'm going to suck, am I going to be yelled at a lot? I always end up abandoning online MP games because of this.

- Is there some sort of relaxed unranked play mode in this? Would I be missing out on anything by playing unranked only?

- Do you guys organize games regularly? I imagine I might be more likely to stick with the game if I become part of a community and I don't have time for anything other than GAF. It's not like I want to be a super competitive player.

So guys, I'm suuuuper close to buying this game. I have some questions:

- How is the community? I don't have a group of people to play this with, so I'd have to rely on random online players. I imagine I'm going to suck, am I going to be yelled at a lot? I always end up abandoning online MP games because of this.

Your rating (even in unranked) will dictate the type of players you get matched with, so you should be fine and not get yelled at much, if at all.

- Is there some sort of relaxed unranked play mode in this? Would I be missing out on anything by playing unranked only?

Yes there is unranked and no you won't miss anything staying in unranked. A lot of people in here and on Reddit I've read have immense fun just playing unranked. Ranked is where the salty people generally live.

- Do you guys organize games regularly? I imagine I might be more likely to stick with the game if I become part of a community and I don't have time for anything other than GAF. It's not like I want to be a super competitive player.

I've seen people here organise some games, but I wouldn't say it's regular. Usually a post like "hey I want a teammate for 2v2" or something similar.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Your rating (even in unranked) will dictate the type of players you get matched with, so you should be fine and not get yelled at much, if at all.

Yes there is unranked and no you won't miss anything staying in unranked. A lot of people in here and on Reddit I've read have immense fun just playing unranked. Ranked is where the salty people generally live.

I've seen people here organise some games, but I wouldn't say it's regular. Usually a post like "hey I want a teammate for 2v2" or something similar.
I disagree. Unranked is where the salty people live. That's why unranked is nothing but a quitting fest. I'd also say ranked does a way better job of matching you with he appropriate skill level of opponents.

Fireblend

Banned
I disagree. Unranked is where the salty people live. That's why unranked is nothing but a quitting fest. I'd also say ranked does a way better job of matching you with he appropriate skill level of opponents.

Unranked is the most infuriating thing about Rocket League

That sucks =/ I already have all the salty competitive gaming I need in my life playing Hearthstone. I'll see if I can grab a four-pack and convince some friends to play.

I just hate it because people are just quitting left and right and it's like you're playing on/against 3 different teams each match. (not because of name calling stuff which I don't find to be much of a problem) There are good lobbies you can find with awesome people who you can play with over and over again, but my overall experience with it hasn't been good. Ranked is much better.

Pepiope

I just hate it because people are just quitting left and right and it's like you're playing on/against 3 different teams each match. (not because of name calling stuff which I don't find to be much of a problem) There are good lobbies you can find with awesome people who you can play with over and over again, but my overall experience with it hasn't been good. Ranked is much better.
To an extent. I love unranked because it's stress free. Ranked with a friend is the best, but ranked with randoms can be stressful as hell.

For beginners ranked would be best though. You will definitely learn how to play/get better in ranked much faster than unranked.

I've probably put close to 300 hours into the PS4 version. Finally got the PC version today and damn is this game smooth on PC.

Also, there's a huge difference between the PS4 and PC community. Maybe it's just because I'm starting low ranked on PC, but every game is full of assholes. I pretty much have to mute the game before offensive words start being thrown left and right. It's really annoying.

Anyways, feel free to add me on steam: MARSallday

Ruruja

Just had a strange thing happen.

Was up 2-0 in a 2v2 Ranked match with my mate, then suddenly the screen goes black and we're in a 4v4 Private match with the 2 people we were playing against and 4 randomers.

Didn't even get any ranking points for the 2-0 match, pfft.

I've probably put close to 300 hours into the PS4 version. Finally got the PC version today and damn is this game smooth on PC.

Also, there's a huge difference between the PS4 and PC community. Maybe it's just because I'm starting low ranked on PC, but every game is full of assholes. I pretty much have to mute the game before offensive words start being thrown left and right. It's really annoying.

I sent you one. I'm usually down for 2v2s/3v3s if you don't mind 42% terrible, lol.

I played rocket league for the first time last night and in my first ever public 3v3 match I got a hat-trick ( 4 vs 2 score ), then in the next two matches, same team, came last on the leaderboard, with 10 points each game - clearly more reflective of my skill as in I have no skill yet.

Are unranked games often this random?

Just had a strange thing happen.

Was up 2-0 in a 2v2 Ranked match with my mate, then suddenly the screen goes black and we're in a 4v4 Private match with the 2 people we were playing against and 4 randomers.

Didn't even get any ranking points for the 2-0 match, pfft.

This has happened to me before, but months ago. Probably about a month after launch and never again since. It's incredibly strange.

Lol. A keyboard does that to people.

If Rocket League can add in a few more catchphrases, they can shut down full chat forever, for all I care.

"Lol", "Well Played", "Good Luck" are all I want to see. I hate playing PC players and not being able to wish them "GG".

Fireblend

Banned
Got the game and played last night... til 3 am. It's pretty good, and oh my do I suck at it. Almost lost all my rank points on ranked, but I started climbing back up by the end of my session :p

Also, I set my flag to GAF's, obviously.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I have RL on PS4, but I'm contemplating getting it on Steam so I can play with the Steam controller. Any opinions on the PC version vs. PS4 in terms of ease of finding games, etc?

I was trying to play Rocket League on PS4 for the first time and I couldn't play online due to a message saying something like "You aren't logged on to the Rocket League "servers" or something like that. How do you get rid of that?

I have RL on PS4, but I'm contemplating getting it on Steam so I can play with the Steam controller. Any opinions on the PC version vs. PS4 in terms of ease of finding games, etc?

It's cross play dude :p You are playing with the same pool of players

PC also runs smoother (60 FPS) and has better textures

Fireblend

Banned
I think I figured out what Standard and Standard Solo meant a bit too late, and now I'm at 0 points in the former, lol. I hate people disconnecting after the first goal 20 secs in. wtf.

Welcome, new RocketGaffers! If you play on PS4, we have a community you can sign up for on the PS4, called RocketGAF. You'll be able to see the list of community members (exclusive to gaffers), post your impressions of the game and pics of your ride, and set up parties.

To join, search for one of the following moderators of the PS4 RocketGAF on PSN:

Optimus_Prime (Gaf username: Optimus Prime)
TheHaighter (J. Bravo)
v1lla21 (v1lla21)

Go to their profile and click on the RocketGAF community listed there. Once in the community, submit a request to join it.

Be sure that you have either a) already joined the NeoGAF PS4 community or b) posted your PSN ID here in this thread or on your Gaf profile. We need to verify people requesting to join are gaffers. Thanks and enjoy!

v1lla21

did anyone else's frame rate go to shit after the last update? I was running at a perfect 60fps before and now it does not go over 40 :( the game is unplayable for me on PC now.
I've already reinstalled the game and verified cache yet it still runs like crap.

dawid

did anyone else's frame rate go to shit after the last update? I was running at a perfect 60fps before and now it does not go over 40 :( the game is unplayable for me on PC now.
I've already reinstalled the game and verified cache yet it still runs like crap.

Do you have low framerate even when you first boot the game?
I've had some problems with my Nvidia drivers half-crashing when the first score/goal occurs(huge asset loadings i guess?) and the clocks of the card being bugged out until i restarted Windows.

However the latest Nvidia drivers fixed the problem for me. That's version 361.43.

v1lla21

Do you have low framerate even when you first boot the game?
I've had some problems with my Nvidia drivers half-crashing when the first score/goal occurs(huge asset loadings i guess?) and the clocks of the card being bugged out until i restarted Windows.

However the latest Nvidia drivers fixed the problem for me. That's version 361.43.
Yup. I'm on the latest amd driver. I have to change the graphics all the way down for the game to run at 60. It wasn't like this before, I could have everything turned on and I was getting 60fps on my 7950. The only thing I don't do is choose mlaa as my AA method.

My stuff has been running bad ever since the Wasteland update.

Yup. Surprisingly the PS4 version runs well.

Hell yeah that's why I just started to get into that version for the first time.

It's feels like a completely different game for me somehow, serious. I guess that's what happens when I go so long trying to play a laggy/choppy version on my PC.

But I can't explain it. Everything about the PS4 version just feels more vicious. The movement somehow feels faster, snappier, the camera shake is more intense than I ever remember it being when I was playing it on PC. (Makes sense that a smoother FPS would affect the other things, but the camera shake thing really surprised me. Not sure if there is an option to turn that down or something, because I may have accidentally messed with it on the PC version)

I tried updating my drivers a few weeks ago as well, and it made things run smoothly for a bit, but the day after, I got on and it was back to being choppy. It's still playable (the game is just so damn fun regardless) but it's certainly hampering things. It definitely used to not always be that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom