• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

v1lla21

Hell yeah that's why I just started to get into that version for the first time.

It's feels like a completely different game for me somehow, serious. I guess that's what happens when I go so long trying to play a laggy/choppy version on my PC.

But I can't explain it. Everything about the PS4 version just feels more vicious. The movement somehow feels faster, snappier, the camera shake is more intense than I ever remember it being when I was playing it on PC. (Makes sense that a smoother FPS would affect the other things, but the camera shake thing really surprised me. Not sure if there is an option to turn that down or something, because I may have accidentally messed with it on the PC version)

I tried updating my drivers a few weeks ago as well, and it made things run smoothly for a bit, but the day after, I got on and it was back to being choppy. It's still playable (the game is just so damn fun regardless) but it's certainly hampering things. It definitely used to not always be that way.
I was pretty damn happy when I first started playing the pc version because it felt like a completely different game but after the Wasteland update it has been really bad.

JJShadow

I was thinking about getting this game to play with my girlfriend, do you think it's a wise decision? A couple of questions:

- Can we play split-screen in the same PC using two controllers?
- Does my girlfriend have to create her own Steam account to play with me, or is she allowed to play as a guest?

Thanks!

Unicorn

I was thinking about getting this game to play with my girlfriend, do you think it's a wise decision? A couple of questions:

- Can we play split-screen in the same PC using two controllers?
- Does my girlfriend have to create her own Steam account to play with me, or is she allowed to play as a guest?

Thanks!
Yesssss.
Nope.

It seems like the ranking system is, indeed, broken as I previously thought. I'm having easier games in the mid-700s than I did in the mid-600s. Anyone else experience the same?

I noticed when there's an influx of people after sales, updates, and DLC releases, the matchmaking seems much less predictable. Would make sense since even though your MMR may be pretty set, others new to the game or coming back will have high variability and could get paired with you.

So you're more likely to get matched with lesser skilled players when there's an increase in people playing. Eric, does that sound right?

I noticed when there's an influx of people after sales, updates, and DLC releases, the matchmaking seems much less predictable. Would make sense since even though your MMR may be pretty set, others new to the game or coming back will have high variability and could get paired with you.

So you're more likely to get matched with lesser skilled players when there's an increase in people playing. Eric, does that sound right?

The thing is that they were all in Expert, Master, Legend, and even Rocketeer rank (mostly Master). So the people I was playing this morning were at the very least somewhat seasoned and acquainted with the game. FWIW, I'm a Master and currently at about 742. I should be higher, but I rarely get to play any more than 3-5 matches with a partner.

UGH.

2v2, guy left with 4:50 left on my team while it was still 0-0. Went up 3-0. Eventually 4-4, OT.

I freakin' whiffed a sure goal, other team went and scored.

This is gonna hurt for a LONG time.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Hell yeah that's why I just started to get into that version for the first time.

It's feels like a completely different game for me somehow, serious. I guess that's what happens when I go so long trying to play a laggy/choppy version on my PC.

But I can't explain it. Everything about the PS4 version just feels more vicious. The movement somehow feels faster, snappier, the camera shake is more intense than I ever remember it being when I was playing it on PC. (Makes sense that a smoother FPS would affect the other things, but the camera shake thing really surprised me. Not sure if there is an option to turn that down or something, because I may have accidentally messed with it on the PC version)

I tried updating my drivers a few weeks ago as well, and it made things run smoothly for a bit, but the day after, I got on and it was back to being choppy. It's still playable (the game is just so damn fun regardless) but it's certainly hampering things. It definitely used to not always be that way.

You can (and should, IMO) turn camera shake off, yes. It's a dramatic and cool effect, but it gets in the way of actually playing the game IMO.

Grinchy

Banned
I'm hoping the option to turn off some HUD elements is in the works. When it gives me those big icons for shots, saves, or centers right in the middle of the screen, it often blocks the view of the ball. I feel like I'm the only person who is bothered by it, though.

I'm hoping the option to turn off some HUD elements is in the works. When it gives me those big icons for shots, saves, or centers right in the middle of the screen, it often blocks the view of the ball. I feel like I'm the only person who is bothered by it, though.
I've remarked that to myself more than a few times. Probably not enough to impact the endgame tremendously, but in those moments it's very frustrating. Nonetheless, the potential of aerial saves or aerial shots getting obstructed by game text is something they need to prevent.

I've changed TV's and it's totally messed up my RL skill (or lack of) my previous set had quite a lot of input delay and my new set seems pretty much instant. My timings have been so off since the switch! On the plus side, Rocket League and Driveclub upscaled to 4k look sweet.

The ranking system is starting to drive me a little nuts.

Win a game 4-0 with all 4 goals - gain 8 points.

Lose a game 2-1 in OT - lose 8 points.

Does it really not matter how you play? As long as you win?

The ranking system is starting to drive me a little nuts.

Win a game 4-0 with all 4 goals - gain 8 points.

Lose a game 2-1 in OT - lose 8 points.

Does it really not matter how you play? As long as you win?

I think that's right. It simply depends (heavily) on the ranking of the people you face. Higher ranked team loses to a lower ranked team? Lose more points.

Teams with nearly equal rank points face off? Neither team will gain or lose more than 4 or so points.

A flat structure like this makes sense, though, honestly. Would I appreciate being rewarded some more for "carrying" my teammate? Absolutely. But sometimes my teammates make some great passes, saves, plays, etc. that don't get the points they might deserve; therefore, I would feel bad if I got 10 points for a win, let's say, and my teammate with 0 goals got 5 points.

Pepiope

I think that's right. It simply depends (heavily) on the ranking of the people you face. Higher ranked team loses to a lower ranked team? Lose more points.

Teams with nearly equal rank points face off? Neither team will gain or lose more than 4 or so points.

A flat structure like this makes sense, though, honestly. Would I appreciate being rewarded some more for "carrying" my teammate? Absolutely. But sometimes my teammates make some great passes, saves, plays, etc. that don't get the points they might deserve; therefore, I would feel bad if I got 10 points for a win, let's say, and my teammate with 0 goals got 5 points.
They need to add points for demos. Cause that comes in handy for goals. It's like an offensive line in football. No one gives them any points :(

AwinduPADAWAN on STEAM.

Looking for 1v1 play.

did anyone else's frame rate go to shit after the last update? I was running at a perfect 60fps before and now it does not go over 40 :( the game is unplayable for me on PC now.
I've already reinstalled the game and verified cache yet it still runs like crap.

Your specs?

I'm consistently over 60fps

MSI GTX 970
4690k cpu
1080p res

I'm 150 hours in and I still need tips.

Here is my tip, just accept it now that you will never be good or else end up like me and be crushed 100 hours later.

Or end up like Kronovi. No in betweens.

Anyone have any tips for someone just getting into this? Played about 4 or 5 hours and absolutely love it

You should stop now while you still love it. Later, it will be a burden. It will be a task for you. You will grow to hate it.

I should add: I love the game. I enjoy it tremendously. Currently a level 51 Master with a 760 rank. I've been steadily going up, but damn I was stuck in the 600s forever. Just up and down the 600 rank range. And it killed my enthusiasm. Every loss is just gut-wrenching. But man... when you get on a roll? When all of your crazy aerial attempts manage to go in? When you make three straight defensive saves in a row? The game is amazing, man.

moojito

Apologies if this is posted every other day, but I just stumbled over Gibbs' youtube channel and it's pretty great. Rather than the usual "look how awesome I am" montages with your favourite dubstep in the background, this dude actually talks through his thought process and gives out some really nice tips and shows losses as well as wins. I'm catching up with the solo 3's series and it's a goldmine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2eZv19phvk

AcridMeat

Banned
Anyone have any tips for someone just getting into this? Played about 4 or 5 hours and absolutely love it
Use ball cam, learn to rotate/fill space your teammates aren't taking. Practice aerials, and more importantly the different jump heights to get deflections.
I picked up Rocket League again after taking a long break. I'm slowly dying inside after every fluke goal against my team and randoms insulting me every single game.

I think I'm going to play some right now.
Are you on PS4 or PC?

Ran rp

You should stop now while you still love it. Later, it will be a burden. It will be a task for you. You will grow to hate it.

I should add: I love the game. I enjoy it tremendously. Currently a level 51 Master with a 760 rank. I've been steadily going up, but damn I was stuck in the 600s forever. Just up and down the 600 rank range. And it killed my enthusiasm. Every loss is just gut-wrenching. But man... when you get on a roll? When all of your crazy aerial attempts manage to go in? When you make three straight defensive saves in a row? The game is amazing, man.

what. i've been playing since launch and almost everyday over the past month or so and it's only getting better.

i don't play ranked though.

PSY・S;190746398 said:
what. i've been playing since launch and almost everyday over the past month or so and it's only getting better.

i don't play ranked though.

We might as well be playing different games, bud.

BIG_V-G-V

Banned
Stopped playing this a couple months ago as I became burned out from all the time I pumped into it. Got back into it this evening and scored a hat trick my first match!

Mahonay

Banned
Stopped playing this a couple months ago as I became burned out from all the time I pumped into it. Got back into it this evening and scored a hat trick my first match!
After my break I jumped right into ranked matches with a friend and we got shat on. It had me at Gold 1 from before I stopped playing and now I'm at Silver 2 in Standard. Starting to win more games again though, now that I'm shaking off the rust. Aerials and offensive timing were the hardest things to get back. Fine touches on the ball to set up open shots have been difficult too, when I didn't even have to think about it before.

Bollocks

Points system is bs, 2v2, we lead 1:0 early on, friend gets disconnected now 2v1, tight as hell, manage to 2:0, opponent gets nervous and bails, now regular 1v1, do the 3:0, win by forfeit and get only 4 points for playing my ass off in a 2v1.

If you score in a 2v1 scenario you should win by default and the opposing team relegated.

Laieon

Been playing a little bit every night for the past 2 weeks or so, I've yet to see even one holiday item.

I just want to Blitzen horns Psyonix. I just want the Blitzen horns.

PSY・S;190751468 said:
why even make a post like that if you didn't know if they were playing ranked or not tho

Because this is a forum... where we hold discussions and express opinions. If the OP is playing ranked, I'm simply letting them know the frustrations I have had to through. If he/she is playing unranked, then they can disregard my sentiments. It's simple, really.

v1lla21

I have a 7950

It was running well before but now it'll go all the way down 37fps which is fucking ridiculous. I've updated my drivers and everything. I just toned down the graphic settings to performance to get it to run at 60. I'm just happy it runs well now.

I have a 7950

It was running well before but now it'll go all the way down 37fps which is fucking ridiculous. I've updated my drivers and everything. I just toned down the graphic settings to performance to get it to run at 60. I'm just happy it runs well now.

I feel like toning down the graphics barely does anything for me. It just looks worse and runs the same (bad). So I just have most of the things at max.

PSY・S;190805726 said:
then make that clear in your post?

How is it not clear when I make references to rank several times? If your ability to infer or comprehend is an issue, that's out of my hands. Clearly you understood, though, as you stated "I don't play ranked though," thus you are just arguing for the sake of it. My post is clear and will remain untouched. See you around the forums, bud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom