• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noaloha

Idiots would still go for them :)

I've played a shite ton of games and I can honestly say not once has a goalie grabbing the corner boost ever led to them making a play, never mind one that required full boost. Not a single damn time. It's literally a 0% play that can only cost you. Your a moron if you do it. And morons are incapable of change because, well, they're morons.

Horseballs. I've used 100% boost to make long aerial picks from a deep defensive position countless times. After initial clash if I'm at goal-line and that ball is moving to an empty spot toward the opposition, I have no problem using my 40-odd boost to quickly hit the corner spot and return to goal-line.

Horseballs. I've used 100% boost to make long aerial picks from a deep defensive position countless times. After initial clash if I'm at goal-line and that ball is moving to an empty spot toward the opposition, I have no problem using my 40-odd boost to quickly hit the corner spot and return to goal-line.

We are talking about when you start at the goalie spot and leaving to grab a corner boost at the kickoff without waiting to be sure it is safe to do. Obviously you can grab corner boost whenever you determine it is safe to do. I am talking about the morons that just zoom away from the goal to grab the boost without paying attention to how the kick off unfolds. Sorry if this was somehow unclear.

Still waiting to rank up...

I swear to God it feels random at times. I have had extended winning and losing streaks w/no movement and other times go like .500 for 6-7 games and suddenly rank up. I wonder if it has to do with people ranked above you LOSING rank and then you move up? Like only a specific amount of people are in each skill division?

Noaloha

We are talking about when you start at the goalie spot and leaving to grab a corner boost at the kickoff without waiting to be sure it is safe to do.

Fair beans, I was mainly countering a very specific position of "not once has a goalie grabbing the corner boost ever led to them making a play, never mind one that required full boost. Not a single damn time. It's literally a 0% play that can only cost you."

Apologies.

The qualifier of "not even waiting a couple moments like a sane person" was something I admittedly did miss.

Pepiope

I swear to God it feels random at times. I have had extended winning and losing streaks w/no movement and other times go like .500 for 6-7 games and suddenly rank up. I wonder if it has to do with people ranked above you LOSING rank and then you move up? Like only a specific amount of people are in each skill division?
You probably just won games you were expected to lose and lost games you were expected to lose.

v1lla21

You probably just won games you were expected to lose and lost games you were expected to lose.
I'm challenger 3 and I've been beating teams composed of challenger elites and rising stars but I've yet to rank up. At least it's not as frustrating as seeing you lose 10 points after a close match.

JTripper

So he's saying they should intentionally make certain fields more difficult to play on - worse grass (which could affect bounce), bad weather (winds blowing the ball away), etc. Nah, don't want. Keep it purely skill-based. Wasteland being in there is pushing it IMO.

Yeah, I hate playing on Wasteland tbh. I'd accept a different set up as to boost placement but that's about it. Don't fuck with the map size, goal size, ball size, whatever.

Rocket League Stats updated to the new rankings now.

76561197997916780.png

bender

What time is it?
Yeah, I hate playing on Wasteland tbh. I'd accept a different set up as to boost placement but that's about it. Don't fuck with the map size, goal size, ball size, whatever.

It's the elevation changes that kill it. It wrecks my rhythm and makes me want to play the game less. That map reminds me of using bumpers in bowling.

What's the deal with letting us collect multiples of the latest unlocks?

The best bit? He was a Legend level player, placed in one of the highest 3v3 tiers. I don't understand how someone can dedicate so much time to a game about car football and still be a total and utter immature little shit about it.

Yep. I have this exact reaction every time I see a Master or Legend act like that. It's unreal.

My favorite is when they throw a temper tantrum, try to forfeit, and then just.... not play when the forfeit doesn't happen. It's literally what 5 year olds do when they don't get their way.

Annnyyywaay.

Finally ranked back up to Challenger 3. I was placed their after my qualifiers but dropped during some poor performances. Played well enough today to get back up to 3. Next stop, Elite, and then hopefully the blues.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I feel like a better ranking system would be for the game to rejudge you after each set of 10 games. After each tenth game the game will see how you did in those ten games and rank you accordingly. Win 8 out of ten matches guarantees a rank up. The opposite guarantees a rank down. If its 7-3 then it's a possible rank up/down but depends heavily on the opponents you were going up against. 6-4 guarantees you stay at your current rank. A ranking system with clearly defined rules.

dawid

I got placed in Prospect 3-divison after my inrank matches in standard solo. After that i have won about 15 matches and lost 4 or 5.

What the hell does it take to get a rank up?

Just thought of an idea after a ~5 minute overtime loss.

Ranking should be kind of like overtime in hockey. Maybe not get points for going to overtime but I don't think you should lose as much as a normal game.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I've been raged at a few times at the weekend for bumping/demoing people playing 1v1 ranked. Like I get it's annoying but It's bloody valid. Favourite was a guy I bumped under the ball as it bounced when he was looking to knock it away, so I could then knock it in.

Best one I heard was "noob bumper". I mean if it's such a noob move then who's the bigger noob, the guy doing it or the guy falling prey to it?
Oh and one opponent, after getting demo'd and conceding a goal says "Ohh no more fair play then", I mean if it's doable in the game, it's fair...

Reinstalled to check out the rocket labs. Love the aesthetic, but I'm into 3D graphics so nice topology is probably more satisfying to me than most people.

Elevated map is best of the bunch by far. Slanted goal makes defence more compelling. Honestly feels ready for prime time. Split goal feels larger, might work better as a 4 player map, I find the transition on the edges to be far too sharp. Donut has potential, but feels like something that should be seasonal or event linked. I find the way people chase the ball up the walls to be quite boring, maybe this will be something the community learns to avoid as time goes on. I think the geometry needs some big changes especially around the centre fun box.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I think if anything donut could do with being a bit bigger? Not sure in which direction, maybe both z and x. I find things tend to get stuck happening around the goals with less action in the centre, maybe that's not necessarily a bad thing though...

RoadHazard

Gold Member
another in-depth aerial tutorial

mind blown by the boost+jump and then jump again takeoff...had never thought about trying that.

Hmm, I definitely need to practice my aerials. A lot. I can do your basic "fly forward and hit the ball" halfway decently, but that's about it. This is just several levels above what I can achieve.

Although, what's actually the point of these pirouettes and backwards/sideways aerials? Anything, or is it just for showing off and being stylish? You still have full left/right/up/down control from just a plain aerial, so yeah. Of course, the sideways one will change how you can hit the ball, but the backwards one just seems like an "aw yeah, look at this hot shit!" thing to me. Or is it because you (I believe) hit the ball harder with the top of your car than the bottom, so it's better if you need to smash the ball down into the goal?

EDIT: Ok, sideways is really for when you're doing it off a wall.

rafaelr

Hmm, I definitely need to practice my aerials. A lot. I can do your basic "fly forward and hit the ball" halfway decently, but that's about it. This is just several levels above what I can achieve.

Although, what's actually the point of these pirouettes and backwards/sideways aerials? Anything, or is it just for showing off and being stylish? You still have full left/right/up/down control from just a plain aerial, so yeah. Of course, the sideways one will change how you can hit the ball, but the backwards one just seems like an "aw yeah, look at this hot shit!" thing to me. Or is it because you (I believe) hit the ball harder with the top of your car than the bottom, so it's better if you need to smash the ball down into the goal?

i´m pretty much in the same boat. i can hit most aerials and for the moment that´s good enough for me. before i even start to think about freestyling i´d rather be consistent with wall stuff. but i love to take away things like the different takeoff methods from tutorials like this.

The best thing about tutorials like this is they show a clear step-by-step progression of HOW to practice vs usual advice of to just practice. Great video.

Freestyling is completely unnecessary but 1) it looks cool and 2) will obviously improve your overall car control so you are able make last minute adjustments to pretty much anything.

I am almost at the point where I will start practicing this stuff but still need to get better at the basics. I still miss connecting on maybe 10% of my aerials which ain't bad but I only put about 60% of them on net / exactly where I want to go. Once that number gets up closer 90% I'll start practicing my Kuxir twists :)

Soulflarz

Banned
Anyone see this?

Numbers are ASCII for 2016.03.02

Something is coming March 2nd

EDIT: I guess there was a whole little puzzle thing leading to a countdown timer too: https://www.reddit.com/r/RocketLeag...ket_league_central_puzzle_solving_megathread/

hnggg

Not explicitly. Sideways is great for normal shots, especially with flatter cars like breakout. If you tilt your car sideways, you can stay along the goal for a better touch many times just by boosting.
Also it's great for redirecting your shot or coming from the side in general, it hits hard.

i´m pretty much in the same boat. i can hit most aerials and for the moment that´s good enough for me. before i even start to think about freestyling i´d rather be consistent with wall stuff. but i love to take away things like the different takeoff methods from tutorials like this.

Tbf, freestyling is generally useless. If you've ever played a fighter, think of it as a 'mixup' of sorts, but yeah, if you're doing freestyles really well, you're generally at a high enough level where it doesn't help :x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom