• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

the corner bost pad continues to be the real MVP

playin in Rising Star and I swear I still score goals cause opponents go to it on kickoff. jesus.

so i tried that rocket league stats site and whenever i log into it through steam it just posts a picture without my steam name nor my steam profile picture. how do i fix that? ;o

J. Bravo

playin in Rising Star and I swear I still score goals cause opponents go to it on kickoff. jesus.
I go for it in all but duel. The only time we get scored on is when my teammate misses the kickoff completely. Otherwise I'm in a much better position with full boost than if I had sat in goal.

SEASON 2 UPDATE

Hey guys! We’ve heard your feedback about Rocket League‘s Competitive Matchmaking for Season 2 and have taken some steps to address it. We wanted to give you a sneak preview of the changes while we put the finishing touches on the next update we’re hard at work on.

First, we read all of the concerns about not feeling a sense of progression in Season 2. While we stand by our decision to move away from the constant feedback of point gain and loss from individual matches, we do feel that the current lack of visibility on where you stand within a Skill Tier is a problem. To address this, we’ve added a Division indicator along with your Skill Tier, as you can see in this image:

skilldiv.png

There are five divisions in each Skill Tier – Division I, II, III, IV, and V, with each representing roughly 20% of the skill range in that tier. You will progress through them sequentially, with Division I being the lowest and Division V the highest. When you’re in Division V, you know you’re close to promotion, and vice versa with Division I.

For players in the highest skill tier, instead of seeing a division number, you will see your actual Skill Rating regardless of if you are in the Top 100. Your skill rating will also appear on the League Rankings screen so you can easily gauge how far you have to go to reach the Top 100.

Second, we want to fix two specific problems for players at the highest level of skill, currently in “Champion” tier:

The Champion Tier includes too wide of a range of player skills, and lacks the aspirational goal of reaching “Platinum” in Season 1.
Players in the Champion tier, but outside of the Top 100, have no way to gauge how far they have to go to reach the leaderboards.
To address the first issue, we’re expanding the Skill Tiers to add more distinction at the highest levels of competitive play. Champion is now three ranks – Champion, Super Champion, and Grand Champion. The Star tier has been shuffled slightly as a result, so if you were in All-Star, Superstar, or Champion divisions, you may see your Skill Tier name and icon change with the update. The new hierarchy looks like this:

Season-2-Division-Titles.jpg

As for players in the Top Division (now “Grand Champion”) who aren’t in the Top 100, we will be displaying your Skill Rating in place of a divisional indicator. All players in Grand Champion will see their Skill Rating both on the playlist screen and on the League Rankings display so they can easily gauge their progress towards breaking into the Top 100.

For those of you who want to see some number comparisons, we’ve got you covered! Currently, Champion tier contains 0.91% of all Competitive players who have played their ten placement matches. In the Competitive Standard playlist (3v3) specifically, 1775 players are in the Champion tier.

Under the new tiers:

Champion (Rank 13/15) contains 0.21% of all current Competitive players
Super Champion (Rank 14/15) contains 0.10% of all current Competitive players
Grand Champion (Rank 15/15) contains 0.07% of all current Competitive players.
As you can see, the three Champion ranks are a very exclusive and prestigious club!

We hope these changes will address some of your concerns with Season 2 and look forward to releasing this update as soon as we can!

Soulflarz

Banned

It's funny, Pep says it's worth it
I think it's worth it if you're at a high enough level that you know no ones going to idiotically mess up the kickoff, but until that level, it is NEVER worth it.

Salsa

pepi smhepi

you get 2 regular boost at the start by staying back if you want. more than enough than risking a shitty partner at kickoff

Pepiope

It's funny, Pep says it's worth it
I think it's worth it if you're at a high enough level that you know no ones going to idiotically mess up the kickoff, but until that level, it is NEVER worth it.
I go for it if the ball isn't coming back at me. You should never immediately go for a corner boost at kick.

Soulflarz

Banned
I go for it if the ball isn't coming back at me. You should never immediately go for a corner boost at kick.

All I know is the "isn't coming back at me" is a point where at what used to be silver 3/gold 1 is where most people would fail the save hard

maybe it was laz
nah

Soulflarz

Banned
I think it's a good compromise. I sure as hell don't want that progress bar back. It was soul crushing for people who struggle to move up ranks.

I was indifferent until I played lazily with friends and we went about even for 10 matches
This means my score moved slightly up or down, but hey, I didn't even have to think about it :D

I think it's a good compromise. I sure as hell don't want that progress bar back. It was soul crushing for people who struggle to move up ranks.

I agree and really continue to appreciate Psyonix for listening and trying to make things better. It's hard to please everyone but at least they are trying.

Noticed this when I was updating Rocket League:
workshop_zpsasweggr9.png

What can it possibly mean?!

How did you get to this? I'd like to try and recreate it. With all the cosmetics and Rocket Labs this game would be perfect for Workshop support. Not sure how the content would make it over to PS4 and Xbox though.

Soulflarz

Banned
Depressingly- do I need to change my car type?
I use breakout and dribbling just...isn't a thing :x

Not on the roof dribbles at least- not for actual play ;_;

Unicorn

How did you get to this? I'd like to try and recreate it. With all the cosmetics and Rocket Labs this game would be perfect for Workshop support. Not sure how the content would make it over to PS4 and Xbox though.
This was after repairing after checking integrity of files.

Salsa

I tried to play with the Dominus. Was kinda bad, but this dude who was awful kept shitting on me. Told him it wasnt my car. Went back to Takumi got matched with him again and scored 5 goals. phew

I just cant get used to anything else. every other car feels super slow

Lazulic

anyone else have a problem with the game sporadically crashing, whether in the main menu or in game? i can go hours without a crash, or minutes.

i just lost a 1s game i was up 5-0 in because of this garbage. people say theyre experiencing it, but ive never seen anyone disconnect in game, while it happens to me fairly regularly.

ive verified integrity twice. no problem there. have no idea what to do

Unicorn

I tried to play with the Dominus. Was kinda bad, but this dude who was awful kept shitting on me. Told him it wasnt my car. Went back to Takumi got matched with him again and scored 5 goals. phew

I just cant get used to anything else. every other car feels super slow
I starting to think I feel a car, then get worse with it.

On the upside, I beat THE FUCK out of your score in Devil Daggers. GIT GUDE

Just deleted a file to get it to download something and didn't get the workshop thing to show up. Odd.

Weird.

Soulflarz

Banned
Because the game isn't easy.

Better question. Why is everyone a dick?

Well
Salsa and I are up near early blues/late gold (for me based on what system I'm on)
It's annoying seeing people do simple whiffs giving a free goal to a team when at that point all wins and losses should be based off of who's doing harder shots and stuff, not on random misses.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Well
Salsa and I are up near early blues/late gold (for me based on what system I'm on)
It's annoying seeing people do simple whiffs giving a free goal to a team when at that point all wins and losses should be based off of who's doing harder shots and stuff, not on random misses.
Everyone fucks up. It happens. Deal with it and say No Problem when they say Sorry. Keep up the positive atmosphere and maybe the person that fucks up feels better and doesnt let their game to to hell for the rest of the match.

Whatever you do, don't say Wow, What a Save, Great Pass or type something dickish. That makes them play worse.

Everyone fucks up. It happens. Deal with it and say No Problem when they say Sorry. Keep up the positive atmosphere and maybe the person that fucks up feels better and doesnt let their game to to hell for the rest of the match.

Whatever you do, don't say Wow, What a Save, Great Pass or type something dickish. That makes them play worse.

I whiffed on an easy save my teammate did the what a save garbage for the next 10 seconds. I get paired up against him next game and we thrash him. Sweet justice.

I don't understand the need to heckle people like that. How does that help them play better? Some people need to get off their high horse and realize it's just a game.

Soulflarz

Banned

I don't insult people in games, I agree it's pointless.
However, I fully understand why Salsa would be frustrated with stuff like that. It's a free loss.

Now, on the topic of people sucking

Been playing with a guy I know who really wants to play with me for a good 5 or 10hr the past week who's at the point where he 'swears hes really good'- you know, silver 2ish, where they can aerial some things, but generally don't have positioning down and their aerials aren't usually on target.
That actually isn't fun at all :/ You never get a setup for a good shot and you're basically just hitting it center all day, then mentally sighing as they're chasing you and you realize it too late, getting scored on :x

Just started playing this again recently. I'm no pro for sure, came in around the semi-pro ranks last season I think for ranked 3v3. Anyway what would be some tips some of the better players here could give me? I'll throw out my typical play style so hopefully someone can give me some pointers. I'll put down what I think are the mistakes I'm making too just in case it's less a mistake and more a bad play on my part.

So I play heavy on offense over defense but of course roll back when I'm closest and the ball is headed to our end if I can't knock it back. At kickoff I either go for the ball or if someone says they will, I grab a small booster and line up for the possible chip shot if the opportunity is there. On offense I tend to sit somewhere between the halfway line and the goal zone, which I'm thinking may be just a little too far out perhaps since I'm having to rush a lot to get the shot. I don't tend to wait for the ball and try to meet it in the air, I'm generally more accurate at shooting with a jump and boost than a flip so I tend to shoot this way even for lower shots and I think it's costing me some goals not to mention boost. I also try not to huddle at the goal like a lot seem to either since I'm awful at judging which side of me the ball will fall on when it's directly above and the camera is flipping all over the place.

My defense game is definitely a downside right now. I'm having to rely almost exclusively on double jump blocks sitting sideways near the goal when I'm playing keeper otherwise I never react in time facing forwards, unless it's a long lob shot of course. As for general defense, I tend to lean towards timing a boosted lob or pinch to send it sailing out of our end, leaving me with any control of the aim only about 50% of the time, still I find the sacrificing control for buying the team some time the better move typically, I also tend to go for the tackle rather than the ball when in an even boost race for goal and I'm not sure it's the right choice. So that's pretty much my play style anyway, any pointers to improve would be greatly appreciated.

Also what's the consensus on ball cam for aerials? on or off? I definitely shoot better at them with it off but in actual play rather than the tutorials the extra input plus chance someone may beat you to it seems like a big trade off. I'm having a lot of misses right now despite being generally good at control in the air, but I suppose that could just be ball trajectory judgement and positioning due to being out of practice.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
What camera settings are people using? Specifically camera distance.

One big thing I'm definitely still shit at is when the ball goes over you and the way ball can works it makes I so you can't see jack shit around you as the camera looks up at the ball. How do people deal with this and are there camera settings that make this less difficult in those situations?

Soulflarz

Banned

I alwyas keep it on, it's much more useful in general, gotta learn how to aerial with it on.
I know people argue "it can be off" but on is, rule of thumb, the way to learn.
As for defense- well, rocket league is weird. Your offense is also your defense and vice versa. You rotate back when your teammate has the ball and you're in a bad position, and rotate forward to attack, it's moreso about being in the advantageous position so no matter how they hit it you or your teammate wont let it in while being in a position that you can attack from. As for defense practice...play a lot.
A lot. Reminds me of my initial aerials advice. Learn how to do basic stuff in training for two hours, then refine it in multiplayer for hours.

What camera settings are people using?
A lot of us still use those Kronovi settings from day one :p
Thats ~250 distance IIRC

Salsa

Because the game isn't easy.

Better question. Why is everyone a dick?

by terrible I too mean being dicks

I start every game with hlgf, say Nice Shot! to opponents on legit good goals, and all I get is my teammate fuckin up on basic stuff and then givin me shit when I don't save something impossible

what's the point of antagonizing a team mate? that's just gonna make you lose harder

edit: it's gotten to the point where I kinda don't like playin with PS4 people cause I can't properly respond to their shitty attitude through text chat

I had some gaming time open up and the PSN sale pushed me over the edge on this. Finally going to jump in.

Any reason to not get this on PS4 if I have both consoles? I assume the larger player base and cross-platform multiplayer make it the definitive version. Any reason to think otherwise?

Just wanted a quick reading on things before I took the leap.

Lazulic

I had some gaming time open up and the PSN sale pushed me over the edge on this. Finally going to jump in.

Any reason to not get this on PS4 if I have both consoles? I assume the larger player base and cross-platform multiplayer make it the definitive version. Any reason to think otherwise?

Just wanted a quick reading on things before I took the leap.

absolutely get it on ps4

by terrible I too mean being dicks

I start every game with hlgf, say Nice Shot! to opponents on legit good goals, and all I get is my teammate fuckin up on basic stuff and then givin me shit when I don't save something impossible

what's the point of antagonizing a team mate? that's just gonna make you lose harder

edit: it's gotten to the point where I kinda don't like playin with PS4 people cause I can't properly respond to their shitty attitude through text chat

ive gone almost 100 hours without anyone seriously shit talking each other in solo 3s. i dont know where people attract it from

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom