• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

J. Bravo

Playing 3s against streamers/pros made me realize I'm barely quick enough to get to balls first, so I have to guess a lot more where the ball is bouncing. I also have to really pay attention to where the ball is going to be instead of where it is. I think this applies to all levels if you want to move up. Learn positioning, make smart touches, and guess.

Damn, got that bug where after a goal, my car is no where and the camera points at my own goal. Couldn't do anything, so I quit, as I thought the game now gives you the option to re-enter a match. But nope, straight ban.

Ah well, it's probably time I stopped playing and moved on.

There's a pattern I'm noticing recently that's really starting to get to me. I've been running into a lot of players with their stream in their name. They often play like crap and accuse the whole team of being useless but continue to almost cost you the game with stupid plays like chasing the same chance to center the ball as you and ramming you from behind. Then when you and the other guy edge out the win against all odds and the streamer ends with an assist if they're lucky they continue to shout and scream at you.

Like where the hell does that ego come from?! Is it purely because they're streaming and they think they're super skilled as a result? I don't even consider myself good but a whole load of these people actively make it harder on your team. I hate to admit it but I'm growing a real disdain for streamers recently with the crappy attitudes some of them take into games.

Great use of the In-game billboards.
CcqZPQVXIAAju3f.jpg:large

moop1167

Anyone on steam want to play some 2s? My name is the same as on here. I can't stand getting paired up with people that don't know what they are doing.

Unicorn

I suck and have learned bad habits, but I just don't have anyone to regularly play with. All of my friends fell off immediately or are too scared to return. I would love to try the championship, but have no one to play with.

Unicorn, I'm an average player but am improving. Feels like I'm turning a corner just this past week. We could play some games to see if it would be a good fit.

U2NUMB

Anyone mind joining me on PS4 for one game online? Only damn trophy I need for the plat... add me as a friend

TAG: U2NUMB

TBiddy

In my online games so far, I've scored most of my goals by hanging out just across the midfield-line-thingie, waiting for the rest of the cars in the corner to bounce the ball into the middle.

I've noticed that in my bracket (lvl 9 rookie still), people play this game exactly like little kids player football. They run around in a big clump, all chasing the ball. I mostly just hang around in the middle, either defending or waiting for the opportunity to strike.

Is that good or bad for the team? I mean, I'm not exactly the guy making a lot of assists.

Soulflarz

Banned
In my online games so far, I've scored most of my goals by hanging out just across the midfield-line-thingie, waiting for the rest of the cars in the corner to bounce the ball into the middle.

I've noticed that in my bracket (lvl 9 rookie still), people play this game exactly like little kids player football. They run around in a big clump, all chasing the ball. I mostly just hang around in the middle, either defending or waiting for the opportunity to strike.

Is that good or bad for the team? I mean, I'm not exactly the guy making a lot of assists.

It...depends?
At low level it arguably doesn't matter, if you can do any single position well, they generally have already lost :p

But if everyone else is chasing, you don't get much of a choice, since you'll be chasing if you want a hit. Waiting in middle is a valid strategy, just make a mental note that you sometimes have to center it middle for your teammate once you get out of the low levels.

Aka 'if it works it works'

well
are you playing 2v2 or 3v3?

TBiddy

It...depends?
At low level it arguably doesn't matter, if you can do any single position well, they generally have already lost :p

But if everyone else is chasing, you don't get much of a choice, since you'll be chasing if you want a hit. Waiting in middle is a valid strategy, just make a mental note that you sometimes have to center it middle for your teammate once you get out of the low levels.

Aka 'if it works it works'

well
are you playing 2v2 or 3v3?

Yeah, it was probably not the best of questions! And yeah, I also center the ball and chase it, if necessary. But you're probably right, if it works, it works. If it stops working, I'll readjust.

It's only 3vs3. I like the more chaotic matches :)

Unicorn

I switched from Ripper to Default Octane chassis because it looks better with my new cosmetics and unicorn horn.

Holy shit the car differences are real. 300+ wins on Ripper (higher than the next most used car - Dominus - by 200+ wins) and the Octane feels like a goddamn vulture with clipped wings and a bag of stones tied to its left foot. Wtf do I do.

TBiddy

I switched from Ripper to Default Octane chassis because it looks better with my new cosmetics and unicorn horn.

Holy shit the car differences are real. 300+ wins on Ripper (higher than the next most used car - Dominus - by 200+ wins) and the Octane feels like a goddamn vulture with clipped wings and a bag of stones tied to its left foot. Wtf do I do.

Wait, what? The cars are different? I thought they just looked different!

Kaz42

Just go with the car you feel most comfortable with. There's differences between them but I don't think there's a best car since they all have the same top speed. Though do know that some cars are better for dribbling, some are good for clears, but if you don't like the control of the car, that doesn't really matter.

Oreoleo

Wait, what? The cars are different? I thought they just looked different!

It's mostly just turning/drift radius and hitbox size. All cars have the same top speed, acceleration, and jump height.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ca_CziO64oy12QViMYHHvtK4sW3hIIO3oexvr0yhs6A/edit#gid=0
There's the stats if anyone's interested. Use it as more of a guideline though, rather than focusing on the raw numbers. Looking at the list you'd think Hotshot is the best car in the game, but when I try to use it I'm over-steering all over the damn place and it has cost me goals when I'm trying to get back to the net really fast.

Consider it proof that the Merc is absolute trash though, and ridicule anyone who uses it :)

Ran rp

It's mostly just turning/drift radius and hitbox size. All cars have the same top speed, acceleration, and jump height.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ca_CziO64oy12QViMYHHvtK4sW3hIIO3oexvr0yhs6A/edit#gid=0
There's the stats if anyone's interested. Use it as more of a guideline though, rather than focusing on the raw numbers. Looking at the list you'd think Hotshot is the best car in the game, but when I try to use it I'm over-steering all over the damn place and it has cost me goals when I'm trying to get back to the net really fast.

Consider it proof that the Merc is absolute trash though, and ridicule anyone who uses it :)

this probably explains why I thought the game became sluggish at one point. I was switching cars for the first time in a while and my turning speed seemed to be affected.

Maybe it was just me, but when I used the Merc, I felt it was slower at aerials. I assumed because it was heavy, but maybe that has changed, still, I'll unlikely ever go back to it.

I gotta try the Ripper... I adore Octane, and Dominus is my second main.

Unicorn

Maybe it was just me, but when I used the Merc, I felt it was slower at aerials. I assumed because it was heavy, but maybe that has changed, still, I'll unlikely ever go back to it.

I also swear there is car weight when doing aerials. At least that's what I'm accusing of Octane compared to Ripper. Ripper doesn't have stats on the spreadsheet - and I think it's been mentioned the data is outdated due to updates/patching.

DD

For the first time I decided to use the report system. Some idiot who wanted to be everywhere, hitting every ball a scoring all the goals. A good solo player, yes, but an awful team player. No one can do anything with a guy like that in the team. If you are preparing to hit the ball, here comes the idiot boosting, flying to hit it first. It's impossible to create plays or do anything else with somebody monopolizing the game like he was. So I decided to stay on the defense. Then, when I decide to go up a little, by the end of the game, somebody sends the ball to our goal, and suddenly I'm the responsible to our loss, and he started calling me "trash", because (according to him) I "chose" to stay on the defense, so it was my responsibility to prevent that goal from happening. I didn't chose to stay on the defense, you moron. You left me no other option!

For the first time I decided to use the report system. Some idiot who wanted to be everywhere, hitting every ball a scoring all the goals. A good solo player, yes, but an awful team player. No one can do anything with a guy like that in the team. If you are preparing to hit the ball, here comes the idiot boosting, flying to hit it first. It's impossible to create plays or do anything else with somebody monopolizing the game like he was. So I decided to stay on the defense. Then, when I decide to go up a little, by the end of the game, somebody sends the ball to our goal, and suddenly I'm the responsible to our loss, and he started calling me "trash", because (according to him) I "chose" to stay on the defense, so it was my responsibility to prevent that goal from happening. I didn't chose to stay on the defense, you moron. You left me no other option!

Sounds like 90% of players. "Oh my teamate has a straight shot to hit at the goal, well I'm just gonna hit it at a 90 degree angle instead and hit the side wall!"

Can you actually report people for playing like that?

I also swear there is car weight when doing aerials. At least that's what I'm accusing of Octane compared to Ripper. Ripper doesn't have stats on the spreadsheet - and I think it's been mentioned the data is outdated due to updates/patching.

There absolutely is. Try flying with Sweet Tooth for an extreme example. It's like night and day (in a bad way) vs the normal size cars. So it would make sense that if the weight in the larger cars impacts flight that variations (albeit much smaller) in the normal size cars will impact flight as well.

Soulflarz

Banned
Pretty sure car weight for shots doesn't exist, since you can hit top speed in no time if you take the aerial already boosting, then it's just a max speed shot.
However, the angles are so different that it'll give that effect on placebo.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Just played a really satisfying 1v1. I'm playing like absolute shit for most of the match. I'm 5-1 down with 45 seconds left. Then I all of a sudden start to play. Scored some really good dribble goals. Got the equaliser with 4 seconds left then won in overtime. One of my more satisfying comebacks. Can't remember coming back from 4 goals in that short a space of time before.

Just played a really satisfying 1v1. I'm playing like absolute shit for most of the match. I'm 5-1 down with 45 seconds left. Then I all of a sudden start to play. Scored some really good dribble goals. Got the equaliser with 4 seconds left then won in overtime. One of my more satisfying comebacks. Can't remember coming back from 4 goals in that short a space of time before.

Upload to YouTube or you're lying.

Also, The Ripper feels pretty bad, man. Octane is much springier.

Oh man! I've never felt so much of a rush from playing a game before. Was at the disadvantage in a 2v3 ranked match after one of our guys dropped out at the start and managed to win 3-0 by forfeit following a double touch aerial which had to be part luck. I'm calling it a night there. I feel like a boss right now and tomorrow I'll go back to being average.

J. Bravo

Just came back from 4-0 down in doubles to win with 4 seconds left. Pretty intense. Final goal was only because I blew a dude up in the air which was only planned because I lined up incorrectly and would have missed the net completely wide. Teammate was in perfect position. Beautiful. I'll upload the replay perhaps.

Otoh, I miss a ton of aerials still because while they have decent placement, they're too show. I really need to work on reverse aerials but it's so hard to imagine myself in the driver's seat so I turn the correct way. Just need to practice more. Ugh

DD

Phew, decided to play a little this morning and found two VERY toxic players, ffs. None against me, but I reported them both. When will people understand that this is just a f*ckin' game, and that it's normal for people to make mistakes? Christ...

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Upload to YouTube or you're lying.

Also, The Ripper feels pretty bad, man. Octane is much springier.
I would if there was some easy upload to youtube option in game. That's something they should add. Or at least a simple in game option to share replays with your friends or something. I do have the replay saved, so the second either one of those things gets added I'll make sure you're the first to see it.

By the way, how long has snow day been back in matchmaking? I literally only just noticed it.

AcridMeat

Banned
I love setting people up. When I play with my buddies who aren't as good that's what I spend my time doing, making sure to get the ball cleared and setting them up most of the game.

I just got into this game and it's really fun. I'd love to play with some gaffers. PSN name same as GAF name, because playing randoms isn't that great.

I'll have to warn you though. I have a general idea what I'm doing but I'm still at level 12 so don't expect great things. ;)

I am not saying I am championship material, but I'd like to finally find some people who want to play with me. I am tired of randoms. The new ranking system helped so that bad players/trolls don't pull you down a lot, but I would really appreciate having actual teammates to talk to.

Preferably Europe, due to timezones trouble etc :D

PS4? Feel free to add me.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Made it to rising star in 1v1. Man, I've improved so much at 1v1 over the past week. Learning how to dribble really does elevate your overall game. I'm so glad my doubles partner exists. Seeing him start to do things I can't do really pissed me off and inspired me to make an effort to improve myself in that area.

DD

Aaaand another report. Started the match saying "take the shot" to the guy closer to the ball. He does't, and then we took a goal. It's alright, it happens all the time. I sent "take the shot" again, cuz he was closer to the ball. He didn't, and then I proced to make an "epic defense". He tries to forfeit. Forfait my ass, with 5 minutes on the clock and just one goal agains us. I don't quit not even if I'm losing by 10! Then the guy starts purposely to shot against our own goal. I mean, WTF?! 2x0 for them. It's alright, let's concentrate on my game. He goes and shoots purposely against our goal again.

Why.jpg

Report the idiot for unsportsmanlike conduct and quit the game. Now I'm banned for 15 minutes. I'm so fuckin' happy!

akileese

Aaaand another report. Started the match saying "take the shot" to the guy closer to the ball. He does't, and then we took a goal. It's alright, it happens all the time. I sent "take the shot" again, cuz he was closer to the ball. He didn't, and then I proced to make an "epic defense". He tries to forfeit. Forfait my ass, with 5 minutes on the clock and just one goal agains us. I don't quit not even if I'm losing by 10! Then the guy starts purposely to shot against our own goal. I mean, WTF?! 2x0 for them. It's alright, let's concentrate on my game. He goes and shoots purposely against our goal again.

Why.jpg

Report the idiot for unsportsmanlike conduct and quit the game. Now I'm banned for 15 minutes. I'm so fuckin' happy!

Just had a real winner who spent literally 5 minutes ramming two teammates continuously while doing nothing of value. I had accidentally queued up for solo standard instead of standard ranked. Not even once, never again. Weekends are generally just REALLY bad. I tend to play whatever I can that doesn't require randoms. If no one else is on I'll just do solo even though it's my weakest game of the three. It's better than the alternative.

akileese

I rarely run into this. Oceania must be a nicer lot or something

It is haha. I play with a buddy of mine who's Aus and whenever we draw Oceania servers the player base is a lot friendlier. It is the weekend though and I've found that in general, that's when the trolls and jerks come out.

DD

It's amazing the talent people have in being annoying. Minutes before I had this guy on my team that was sending "sorry!" every three fuckin seconds.

Sorry!
Sorry!
Sorry!
Sorry!
Sorry!
Sorry!
Sorry!
Sorry!
Sorry!
Sorry!
Sorry!
Sorry!