• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like the wasteland map is single handedly going to get me to quit rocket league.

Not only do I hate the map with a passion but It gives me the map to play about 80% of the time.

I literally sit there with my fingers crossed it won't appear.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I feel like the wasteland map is single handedly going to get me to quit rocket league.

Not only do I hate the map with a passion but It gives me the map to play about 80% of the time.

Wasteland ain't that bad. Try playing with a really good doubles partner so you can get carried when the map comes up. Try it when this theoretical doubles partner finishes work at 10 tonight.

I never quit if my team full, but if one leaves then based on how good the other team are and if I think can win or not I'm outta there.

Waste of time sticking about if gonna lose.

I play a lot of Casual Standard. I seem to get stuck in losing situations quite often, which I usually don't mind. However, if I come into a situation where we're losing by three or more goals with less than a minute left, it's pretty frustrating. I'll usually stick it out, but if I come in less than 30 seconds with 3 or more goals down, I'll sometimes quit before the game ends.

I don't quit in Competitive unless my teammates both vote to forfeit. Even then, I don't usually follow the vote unless it seems rather hopeless. One time, had my teammates vote to forfeit three goals down with about a minute to play. I didn't vote and they stayed and played hard. Wound up tying it up with seconds to play and winning in OT, if I'm remembering it right.

Soulflarz

Banned
I never quit if my team full, but if one leaves then based on how good the other team are and if I think can win or not I'm outta there.

Waste of time sticking about if gonna lose.

oh

this
if it's a 3v1 I quit
3v2 is doable. I've actually won a few 3v2s in high challenger in solo standard cause rotations~

I play a lot of Casual Standard. I seem to get stuck in losing situations quite often, which I usually don't mind. However, if I come into a situation where we're losing by three or more goals with less than a minute left, it's pretty frustrating. I'll usually stick it out, but if I come in less than 30 seconds with 3 or more goals down, I'll sometimes quit before the game ends.

I don't quit in Competitive unless my teammates both vote to forfeit. Even then, I don't usually follow the vote unless it seems rather hopeless. One time, had my teammates vote to forfeit three goals down with about a minute to play. I didn't vote and they stayed and played hard. Wound up tying it up with seconds to play and winning in OT, if I'm remembering it right.

As long as I have a full team I never initiate a vote to forfeit. Team sports do not have uneven teams outside of hockey (only temporary due to penalties) and soccer where you have 11 guys a team -- 10v11 is not the same as 2 or 1 v 3. And at the highest level of Rocket League they don't play shorthanded games. If someone gets disconnected they restart the match. The game is supposed to have even teams and only has uneven teams as you can't cancel matches if someone quits because everyone would just quit when they know they are about to lose.

I'll stick out 2v3's until game seems out of reach (sometimes you play better getting rid of the weak link) but often will still stay to end if my teammate is competent / still playing hard. Teammate whiffing, own goaling, not rotating? F that.

1v3's vs a competent team already down by a goal or more? F that. I've killed myself to stay in and tie up these games only to lose on an unlucky bounce or demo strategy above. When you win one it's a great feeling but for me not enough to offset the disappointment of the far more often occuring losses.

neoism

holy shit i just played this yesterday for no reason but ive had it since launch but damn, it must have just clicked.. its fun as shit...😵

I hate that map too. Y'know what's really close to making me quit? As in just closed it and not sure I can be bothered coming back anymore. Those fucking lame players who don't ever play the ball and literally just chase someone trying to demo them the entire game. Whether they're on your team or not they completely fuck up rotation on both teams and it just becomes a mess. I swear the community has been going downhill so fast recently.

I remember when Wasteland first came out it felt so different, especially the slope up to the walls. Felt like I was driving up a big hill or down one to the goals. The walls seemed so high on the sides. Aerials felt different. The ball felt like it came off the corners funny.

I literally don't notice any of this now. It all looks flat to me. Ball seems to come off corners just like every other map. It just feels like a standard map but with more SPACE which I love as a 3's game feels more like 2's. It is by far my favorite map and I almost always play my best game on it.

But everybody's different and it definitely seems to impact the game negatively for some which sucks but hopefully with more playing time they will get used to it too.

I seriously can't deal with team mates that rarely cross the midfield. Feel like I'm getting more of them these days as well.

The majority of random teammates don't rotate / play D so a lot of people get gun shy about moving up.

As far as solutions go, are you rotating back far enough (all the way to your net / corner boost) to make sure they can see you? For perma-goalies I like to give them a friendly bump and a "defending" to get them to move up. Works pretty good.

13178814_475517452641560_2229941862888780372_n.png

Salsa

"hey I havent played in local south american servers in a while"

got called a fucking retard 3 times in 2 games

*unchecks*

Soulflarz

Banned
apparently never played solo 3s on ps4

SMURFING HERE I COME

edit: smurfing sucks in rl

your teammates score on you and its like a 1v3 with handicaps
its not fun

editedit: before someone says 'no complaining about your teammates'
im into challenger in 10 games already :p

Hasney

SMURFING HERE I COME

its not fun

Yeah, I played 40 games while drinking and letting my friends play in ranked for some reason one night. Its harder to dig out of the ranking hole than it is to stay on top of the rankings.

Its OK though, if I ever want to feel good, I've still got that gold hat on PS4.

SMURFING HERE I COME

its not fun

Passing is a lost cause and dribbling a waste of time as teammates just knock the ball away. Stay back and let them hit it to you for long shots and wait for loose balls to pop out of the scrums. Chip / lob EVERYTHING midfield forward. Lower rank players have trouble when the ball goes over their heads. They're also never ready for hard clears.

Aerials and walls balls should pretty much be uncontested but you gotta be accurate as no one is gonna be back on D once you are out of the play.

Good luck!

Soulflarz

Banned
Passing is a lost cause and dribbling a waste of time as teammates just knock the ball away. Stay back and let them hit it to you for long shots and wait for loose balls to pop out of the scrums. Chip / lob EVERYTHING midfield forward. Lower rank players have trouble when the ball goes over their heads. They're also never ready for hard clears.

Aerials and walls balls should pretty much be uncontested but you gotta be accurate as no one is gonna be back on D once you are out of the play.

Good luck!

Yeaah, basically this

Here's your guide to beating everyone low rank.™

If everyone in your lobby is worse than you and you aren't around mid blues (meaning, those around you when smurfing vs your normal rank can't competently aerial)- just lob it or do something that they 'arent ready for'.
Also

Stalling by hitting it high so your teammate will clear it? Don't do that, go for the bad clear, assuming you aren't going to break your good habits. A stall that a teammate would normally clear into a shot becomes 'Great Pass!' when your opponents score on you cause your teammate reads it as a bad clear and doesn't have any air control so he stayed on the ground.
Air dribble of one touch? We call those free goals.

Also, *never* pass the ball center for a teammate, it wont be going in. Expect all of the goals on your team to be from either both of your teammates going for the shot you were going to shoot in anyways and they have a bad angle so it goes back, or a teammate doing a bad save because they didn't acknowledge their back line had a clear save.
edit: other tip- steal their boost. Always. It stops them from ruining your aerials or freestyles, and it encourages them to stay back. Besides, they're going to run into you anyways, since they aren't rotating properly.
With these simple tips, you'll be sure to be one of the most obnoxious players out there for a dozen games, but it actually is a pretty solid strategy to get you out of the slum that prospect is and into the hellish place called challenger, where people are just competent enough to complain about your misses, but not competent enough to realize why you missed (read: they rotated badly, took your normal shot, you had to badly improv, etc)

Actually serious with this advice, it'll get you way more wins in low ranks if you're half decent :p

*waits for everyone stuck in challenger to be bitter at me*

Its OK though, if I ever want to feel good, I've still got that gold hat on PS4.

First time i've worn it-
No one can say anything bad to me wearing it since they're all so low :p

Felt like I needed to slow down and work on my game a bit. So I played doubles (outside of Hoops) this week for the first time in a few weeks. Wow, people are salty in casual doubles. I really don't remember that. Casual standard isn't that bad compared. Maybe I just hit a bad patch of players...three nights in a row.

Usually ranked is more salty, but maybe I'll do that instead. I almost never play ranked doubles without a partner, so I have a feeling that's not going to be too great either. Ah well.

I thought it meant "well gamed" -- a combination of the two (good game & well played) -- but I'm no pro so for all I know it could be "whoopi goldberg"

Customized chat looks awesome. Can't wait for next update as I'm sure it's just tip of the iceberg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom